News Forum - TAT revises goal to 700,000 international travelers to Thailand in 2021

Thaiger

Perhaps revising their previous goal of 1 million international tourists in the next 2 months, the Tourism Authority of Thailand is hoping to hit 700,000 international travellers total in 2021. Thailand has launched a number of schemes to bring in foreigners during the Covid-19 pandemic to various levels of success so far. The Phuket Sandbox has been the most successful but has only brought 60,649 visitors in the 4 months between July 1 and October 31. Another 25,000 people arrived in the Samui Plus program, the 7+7 Sandbox Extension, the Special Tourist Visa, the Thailand Privilege Card, Medical Tourism plans, […]

The story TAT revises goal to 700,000 international travelers to Thailand in 2021 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

They now call them visitors which is a slight improvement, but of course they should still filter out the large number of returnees that took advantage of the sandbox.

And for the other "hundreds of thousands": I hope they are prepared for what they will find. Because it's even a disappointment for members here to visit previously nice vacation spots where everything proves to be closed. Those that come here with memories and expectations may well have a different understanding of "an open country".

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I arrived in Phuket about 2 weeks ago.  I did not see any real tourists. The people I met all had a connection with Thailand, like having a family, a job. These were all people who had to go back, and were willing to jump through all hoops for that.

In the main street of Patong most things were opened, but not all. But if you walked a little further, most shops, restaurants were closed. We also went to Kamala, it looked like a cemetery. Almost everything closed, there was nothing to do.

They made it much too complicated an expensive for real tourists.

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, dimitri said:

I arrived in Phuket about 2 weeks ago.  I did not see any real tourists. The people I met all had a connection with Thailand, like having a family, a job. These were all people who had to go back, and were willing to jump through all hoops for that.

In the main street of Patong most things were opened, but not all. But if you walked a little further, most shops, restaurants were closed. We also went to Kamala, it looked like a cemetery. Almost everything closed, there was nothing to do.

They made it much too complicated an expensive for real tourists.

That's what you hear all the time. And then that's Phuket with all sorts of special arrangements.

You can imagine most of the country being more like Kamala... 

Happy holiday 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lol!

One million visitors,  down to seven hundred thousand visitors. There was only sixty thousand during the four months of the Sandbox fiasco.

They will be lucky, very lucky if they get numbers, something similar.

The Sandbox failed.

The COE failed.

The Thailand Travel Pass will fail. In fact, it already is !

Just do what works for Christ's sake, tourists are not the problem,  Covid19 is already in the country, your own unvaccinated population are the risk factor.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, BIGGLES said:

Lol!

One million visitors,  down to seven hundred thousand visitors. There was only sixty thousand during the four months of the Sandbox fiasco.

They will be lucky, very lucky if they get numbers, something similar.

The Sandbox failed.

The COE failed.

The Thailand Travel Pass will fail. In fact, it already is !

Just do what works for Christ's sake, tourists are not the problem,  Covid19 is already in the country, your own unvaccinated population are the risk factor.

I think we mean the same, but the risk factor is the movement caused by all travelers that spreads the virus across the country and the people -at risk- are the unvaccinated population.

That's why it's really too early to have opened up as the vaccination level is nowhere near required for that.

• Like 3

Maybe a functional Thailand Pass system would be a good step towards encouraging tourists to return. He current system is simply a guessing game. Enter your data and in the next seven days you might get an answer. So to be sure each applicant makes multiple applications and overloads the system. 🤔

I still believe this is all part of what the government want. Tell everyone Thailand is open for business. Improve consumer and business confidence. Get lots of predictions of 5% growth and things returning to normal. Meanwhile, drag your feet to fix things. Add lots of mixed and confusing messages. Delay and procrastinate for another couple of months in order to get vaccination levels up. Finally, as you approach end of Jan, things can start to open properly. Net result is…..you have just bought yourself 3 more months of grace, kept the Baht from falling too low and keep the people happy and off the streets protesting. As I have said before. If it’s not this, then the only other answer is complete and utter incompetence. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Someone needs to teach the TAT the concept of underpromise and overdeliver. Tell them they’ll get praise and maybe a pay rise and they’ll jump right on board. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Someone needs to teach the TAT the concept of underpromise and overdeliver. Tell them they’ll get praise and maybe a pay rise and they’ll jump right on board. 

If they are getting their sticky fingers in pies elsewwhere given the various extra budgets given then I suspect a pay rise is insignificant.

27 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Think that would be like getting a used car salesman to tell the truth when selling a car.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, palooka said:

Think that would be like getting a used car salesman to tell the truth when selling a car.

A used car salesman would rank higher in a truth lineup.

• Like 3

TAT can predict all they like..... I don't really think anyone pays much attention to their ramblings. They are like the boy who cried wolf....sooner or later no one believes them.

Less than half of the country is fully vaccinated. Not to mention a sizable portion of the fully vaccinated we’re jabbed with the Sinovac vaccine (practically useless a few months ago). 

What kind of tourist is really going to risk it at a country with less than half fully vaccinated? Definitely not 700,000 people that’s for sure. 

Focus on getting the citizens vaccinated first then re-open the country. 

It's a shame for the small businesses for sure.

I don't come to Thailand to see tourists so in some was it might be my best visit ever. Yall do nothing but complain and look down on Thailand. 

Right now Nostradamus couldn't predict jack about what will happen later this month. Yet alone next year.

Stop making predictions oh wise and noble seniors and focus purely on how to get folk back on their feet.

• Like 2

As mentioned earlier, a lot of the people "visiting" Thailand so far have likely been people who live here, getting back, or people that have reasons to be here other than tourism. I for one did a planned returned in early October because of contractual obligations. I was lucky to have only a 7 days quarantine. This was the quarantine length when I booked my trip but before leaving it changed back to 14 and then thankfully, while away, changed back to 7 days again. Point: I'm not a tourist but I'm sure I was included in their "tourist" numbers.

• Like 1