News Forum - 4.4 billion baht Supreme Court corruption case about futsal courts

Thaiger

The Supreme Court of Thailand has accepted a major corruption case to go to trial regarding low-quality futsal courts nearly 10 years ago worth 4.4 billion baht. The wide-reaching case regarding poorly built playing areas for futsal, a game similar to football that is popular in Thailand, will require Thailand’s chief whip, Wirat Rattanaseth, to cease his MP role while the case is ongoing. The Criminal Division for Holders of Political Office of the Supreme court will hear the case that saw Wirat and 86 educational officials prosecuted by the Attorney-General’s Office already. Last month the Office of Basic Education […]

The story 4.4 billion baht Supreme Court corruption case about futsal courts as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The money was spent on schools Futsal courts many of whom were such low quality they have had to be repaired or even re-purposed. Due to corruption the kids have been deprived of a sporting opportunity so it is another case of people who should now better depriving Thai youngsters.  I seem to recall that  there was even a debate prior to that as to whether the expenditure was actually required at all and at that time would it be of benefit to the majority of children. Well perhaps this scandal illustrates why the decision was taken . Shame on them. Let's just hope it is not yet another Thai whitewash.

45 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

futsal, a game similar to football that is popular in Thailand,

also known as Futbol dé salón or soccer in a French hairdresser's ..  

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

... futsal, a game similar to football that is popular in Thailand, ...

... or more accurately:

... futsal, a game similar to football that is popular in Thailand, but which isn't popular in Thailand and is largely unknown.

They just can’t help themselves can they. Everything from school equipment and facilities to vaccines and roadworks. I would estimate 90% of transactions of any significant value involve corruption in the country. It’s ingrained and endemic. They simply don’t see anything particularly wrong with it. I think most of the laws they have enacted are only aimed at keeping up with international norms in order to avoid sanctions. I don’t think they believe they are needed. Corruption is the single biggest issue which is holding the country back. Remove it and Thailand would flourish to become another Japan, Taiwan or South Korea. Feel sorry for your average Thai. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gummy said:

The money was spent on schools Futsal courts many of whom were such low quality they have had to be repaired or even re-purposed. Due to corruption the kids have been deprived of a sporting opportunity so it is another case of people who should now better depriving Thai youngsters.  I seem to recall that  there was even a debate prior to that as to whether the expenditure was actually required at all and at that time would it be of benefit to the majority of children. Well perhaps this scandal illustrates why the decision was taken . Shame on them. Let's just hope it is not yet another Thai whitewash.

Agreed! It's been over 10 years of hearing violins tuned in B flat. The ones that suffered are the children that missed out on a facility made for their benefit. Not a scam to make corrupt shameless tossers richer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soidog said:

They just can’t help themselves can they. Everything from school equipment and facilities to vaccines and roadworks. I would estimate 90% of transactions of any significant value involve corruption in the country. It’s ingrained and endemic. They simply don’t see anything particularly wrong with it. I think most of the laws they have enacted are only aimed at keeping up with international norms in order to avoid sanctions. I don’t think they believe they are needed. Corruption is the single biggest issue which is holding the country back. Remove it and Thailand would flourish to become another Japan, Taiwan or South Korea. Feel sorry for your average Thai. 

And I'll keep saying it; to kill a snake you first have to chop it's head off.