News Forum - Easing of alcohol restrictions hinges on Covid-19 infection and hospitalisation rate

Thaiger

The National Security Council says any easing of alcohol restrictions will depend on the Covid-19 situation. NSC boss Supoj Malaniyom adds that the 17 provinces open to tourists are likely to be the first to see nightlife permitted to return. According to a Bangkok Post report, the sale of alcohol in restaurants could also be extended, provided the Covid-19 situation doesn’t escalate. “At the moment, the CCSA will stick to the 9pm deadline for serving and selling alcohol, while an evaluation of the compliance rate and the Covid-19 situation is carried out over the initial 15 days.” Supoj was responding […]

The story Easing of alcohol restrictions hinges on Covid-19 infection and hospitalisation rate as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I can understand both sides of this. On the one hand peoples desire to get back to the freedoms we're used to. On the other hand is the health imperative to keep going with masks, safe distance etc to keep infections down, while trying to vaccinate as many people as possible. In the background and often unheard are the health workers...nurses, doctors, paramedics and allied staff who have to cope with the real possibility of being swamped with cases. They are experiencing fatigue, long hours and extreme emotional pressure. For me, they are more important than being able to have a drink after 9pm, because if I end up seriously ill, it's these good people who will be looking after me.