News Forum - PM says Thailand will step up fight against climate change

Thaiger

4 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I get the sarcasm @Yinn and I understand the question of why should poorer and under developed countries pay for the mess that more developed countries have caused and benefitted from. The problem is the question what is meant by “Pay”?  If it’s financial support to help poorer countries transition and implement climate friendly technologies, the sharing of technological solutions which help climate change and support green products through taxation benefits, then yes. I do think that’s how “payment” should be structured. If on the other hand “Pay” means compensation; large amounts of cash being moved and handed out to under developed countries to compensate for damage inflicted, then no. 

Many of these so called poorer or underdeveloped countries are like they are due to significant and massive levels of corruption. Thailand being a case in point. Simply to hand billion of dollars to such countries would do little or nothing to solve climate change and simply pay for more air conditioned houses, cars and private jets for the wealthy rulers who have stolen the wealth of the people they should be serving. 

Finally I would use a phrase I hear a lot in Thailand “up to you”. If all countries don’t get on board and try to limit climate change, then it is many of the poorer countries who will suffer most. The richer nations will find technological solutions to better food production. Build better flood defences and relocate populations away from areas of drought etc. If climate change is caused by humans to the extent we can halt it (maybe?) then we will all be impacted and ultimately could kill humanity.  The journey to that apocalyptic day will be far more comfortable in New York, Tokyo, London or Rome than it will in Dhaka, Mali or even Bangkok. 

I guess the PM will say anything as long as there's nothing to sign... 🥴

Meanwhile the Pattaya reporting station has been closed for years because no one wants to see the readings and we are supposed to believe this nonsense?

17 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

Is Covid done or something? 

All I hear now is suddenly climate climate climate. It must be climate season again. 

It's as if they know Covid is not scary for people anymore, so now back to climate, which they have warned us 50 years ago already that 40 years ago, catastrophes would become unstoppable. And just like with Covid.... Don't you dare say anything against it! 

According to Al Gore twenty years ago Bangkok and other major cities should be underwater right now and they should be growing coconuts in Saskatoon 😀.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LoongFred said:

The focus first should be top to bottom on the chart. Inovations made by the top three might be useful to others.

But then again initiatives shown by smaller nations can embarrass the big boys into acting. I saw a news item the other day when a woman from The Marshall Islands (pop 58,000), not sure if it was the PM or health minister, laid out everything they had done, including the banning of all air travel for government officials unless absolutely necessary (like Cop) - she spoke really well. Whereas in the west most PM's and their royal families would sell a kidney to hop on another caviar laden private jet to get to the bottom of the garden !

Trying to lean on China is in my opinion like pissing in the wind - until they head the worlds output league table they're going to keep building coal plants at the rate of two a week !

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, billywillyjones said:

According to Al Gore twenty years ago Bangkok and other major cities should be underwater right now and they should be growing coconuts in Saskatoon 😀.

But he did sell a lot of books ! 😉

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, TWS60 said:

I adopt the position of folks like Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson, who agrees on climate change, and that human industrial and consumer activity is a contributing factor, but not "THE" factor. 

This is my overall concern with all of this debate. As I have said already, I have no doubt that global average temperature is increasing and is concerning. I also have no doubt that the activities of humans are contributing to that warming. My question to which I just can’t find an unequivocal answer to, is by how much?  

If cyclical warming is a natural occurrence but humans are causing 90% of current warming, then I’m all for installing expensive new heating systems, adding triple or quadruple glazing in homes etc. But what if we are only contributing 5%?  This means anything we do will do little to change the natural course we are on. We should be using our time and money to protect ourselves and come up with technology to help people in affected areas of the world. I don’t know and I’m not saying we only contribute 5%. But what if? 

I still believe and support the process of renewable energy and clean energy. I also believe we should clean up our act and stop polluting our environment (separate issue). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Soidog said:

This is my overall concern with all of this debate. As I have said already, I have no doubt that global average temperature is increasing and is concerning. I also have no doubt that the activities of humans are contributing to that warming. My question to which I just can’t find an unequivocal answer to, is by how much?  

If cyclical warming is a natural occurrence but humans are causing 90% of current warming, then I’m all for installing expensive new heating systems, adding triple or quadruple glazing in homes etc. But what if we are only contributing 5%?  This means anything we do will do little to change the natural course we are on. We should be using our time and money to protect ourselves and come up with technology to help people in affected areas of the world. I don’t know and I’m not saying we only contribute 5%. But what if? 

I still believe and support the process of renewable energy and clean energy. I also believe we should clean up our act and stop polluting our environment (separate issue). 

SD - climate change, Covid, vaccines, obesity or ANY major story - I've always said before that before you take on board anything any 'expert' tells you, find out who pays their mortgage !

How can it be that on something so huge as CC, one very eminent scientist can prove what looks like indisputable proof that humans are without a shadow of a doubt destroying the planet which is utterly convincing and underneath his article is one very eminent scientist who can prove what looks like indisputable proof that humans are without a shadow of a doubt NOT destroying the planet which is utterly convincing !

It drives you mad so I just try to live the best life I can and respect it where possible. I don't file littering and plastic under a climate change issue, that's just bad manners and the memory of my mum slapping me around the back of the head if I did it ! Ever since I've hated littering!

I did read that during The Bronze Age some 3500 years BC , the planet was HOTTER than now before scaling back ?? I'm sure humans do contribute to it, but to what scale ? god knows and we'll probably never know.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gummy said:

Think these two were chatting about climate change and lip service.

FB_IMG_1635893719376.jpg

"I have a brother who is in a spot of bother. 

Do you think you could see your way to giving him a long term visa what with your absence of extradition treaties and sketchy approach to the law?"

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Benroon said:

SD - climate change, Covid, vaccines, obesity or ANY major story - I've always said before that before you take on board anything any 'expert' tells you, find out who pays their mortgage !

How can it be that on something so huge as CC, one very eminent scientist can prove what looks like indisputable proof that humans are without a shadow of a doubt destroying the planet which is utterly convincing and underneath his article is one very eminent scientist who can prove what looks like indisputable proof that humans are without a shadow of a doubt NOT destroying the planet which is utterly convincing !

It drives you mad so I just try to live the best life I can and respect it where possible. I don't file littering and plastic under a climate change issue, that's just bad manners and the memory of my mum slapping me around the back of the head if I did it ! Ever since I've hated littering!

I did read that during The Bronze Age some 3500 years BC , the planet was HOTTER than now before scaling back ?? I'm sure humans do contribute to it, but to what scale ? god knows and we'll probably never know.

Spot on comments @Benroon.

What is interesting is that I recently Googled “climate change is not man made”. You will be lucky to find any article that puts the case against mankind causing climate change. The same goes for YouTube. You will find some, but by and large they have been removed by the big tech companies.  The worlds agenda on climate change continues to be driven by the California based companies.    

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Changnam43 said:

"I have a brother who is in a spot of bother. 

Do you think you could see your way to giving him a long term visa what with your absence of extradition treaties and sketchy approach to the law?"

Hilarious😂. We should start a separate topic on that picture to get feedback on what we think they were saying 😂 

I think he’s asking him. “Was it you who allowed Golden bar to be turned in to an Ef’In Hooters in Soi 4?”

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Smithydog said:

For the reasons indicated in the article. The vast majority are wildfires, not caused by human hand but nature itself in the form of weather conditions like lightening that hit the highly inflammable dry tinder. 

Some burn-off of natural undergrowth occurs but again this is vastly different in the Northern Territory especially as they use Aboriginal Land management techniques that protects the animals and the canopy, reduces the volume of smoke, and better helps the environment.

Many areas are now learning such techniques and applying the principles to avoid the scale of wildfires Australia has seen and reduce the impact that such necessary work does to avoid the horrific wildfires we have seen. Something they have been doing for tens of thousands of year.

https://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/land/aboriginal-fire-management

And yes we have our share of idiots that think it is fun to set off a fire and our share of government talk that does nothing to help.

Didn't Australia have some major forest fires a year or so ago. What causes were determined to have contributed.

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

I get the sarcasm @Yinn and I understand the question of why should poorer and under developed countries pay for the mess that more developed countries have caused and benefitted from. The problem is the question what is meant by “Pay”?  If it’s financial support to help poorer countries transition and implement climate friendly technologies, the sharing of technological solutions which help climate change and support green products through taxation benefits, then yes. I do think that’s how “payment” should be structured. If on the other hand “Pay” means compensation; large amounts of cash being moved and handed out to under developed countries to compensate for damage inflicted, then no. 

Many of these so called poorer or underdeveloped countries are like they are due to significant and massive levels of corruption. Thailand being a case in point. Simply to hand billion of dollars to such countries would do little or nothing to solve climate change and simply pay for more air conditioned houses, cars and private jets for the wealthy rulers who have stolen the wealth of the people they should be serving. 

Finally I would use a phrase I hear a lot in Thailand “up to you”. If all countries don’t get on board and try to limit climate change, then it is many of the poorer countries who will suffer most. The richer nations will find technological solutions to better food production. Build better flood defences and relocate populations away from areas of drought etc. If climate change is caused by humans to the extent we can halt it (maybe?) then we will all be impacted and ultimately could kill humanity.  The journey to that apocalyptic day will be far more comfortable in New York, Tokyo, London or Rome than it will in Dhaka, Mali or even Bangkok. 

OMG another diatribe. Simply put Thailand did not cause the problem but may have a small contribution. 

Your concerns should be addresses to your local government. 

2 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Are you arguing with yourself now? You have quoted yourself and then had an argument 😂😂

Incredible...how on earth did climate change become a debate about what white folk should be called?

YOU have a lot to answer for Greta!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, mickkotlarski said:

Incredible...how on earth did climate change become a debate about what white folk should be called?

YOU have a lot to answer for Greta!!!

Agreed mate. 

Back on Topic….

Don’t even get me started on Greta😡. The world has gone mad. 

Attached  is a great clip from an Australian (sorry - Farang😉) news channel on Greta 😂. Forward to 1:30 or 4:44. You may not like this guy, but I find his words well overdue 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Agreed mate. 

Back on Topic….

Attached  is a great clip from an Australian (sorry - Farang😉) news channel on Greta 😂. Forward to 1:30 or 4:44. You may not like this guy, but I find his words well overdue 

EXACTLY!!! Every time I see Greta spewing her nonsense it makes me cringe. Stalin, Hitler and Mao all used little girls with platted pony tails to spread their propaganda. I agree with Alan Jones.

• Like 3

We are all part of the human race and conversations regarding Farangs etc is not what this thread is about and drop the off topic chat please.

Subject of the thread is 

PM says Thailand will step up fight against climate change

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

Didn't Australia have some major forest fires a year or so ago. What causes were determined to have contributed.

It used to be about each seven years and as a boy my pop and I helped fight Ash Friday. Now its an unexplained phenomenon. All sorts of theories about global warnings, rubbish in the bush and foreigners deliberately causing mayhem but nothing definitive. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, gion said:

better we send a delegation of our students who understand the language of foreign leaders

How about Greta , she can part water and she doesn’t have a staff or rod to do it! Its all in the eyes

• Haha 2

Just wait for the annual burning to start won't be long now. 

When it happens as we all know it will we can call him the lying corrupt guy he is....

Simple.....

• Like 3

Mr Prayut has done a marvellous job of restoring the ecology here in Koh Chang. The place is deserted good recovery for nature but the economy is destroyed.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Agreed mate. 

Back on Topic….

I like Greta. 

Please remember she is very young.  Didn't you ever buck the system when you were young?

I think it's good that she gets you triggered.  As you clearly are.

Edited by Changnam43
Clarity of message

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

Yes they did. 2019/2020. I haven't read the final report into them as yet. From what I heard there were a variety of reasons raised. The height of the undergrowth was mentioned as I recall were the suggestions to further adopt the Aboriginal way of dealing with such matters.

The FAQ below mentions a few causes from lightning, undergrowth, a helicopter lamp, cigarette  yes stupid people, all contributed to starting the various fires.

Found this that might answer some questions for you.

https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/rp1920/Quick_Guides/AustralianBushfires

2 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

Yes they did. 2019/2020. I haven't read the final report into them as yet. From what I heard there were a variety of reasons raised. The height of the undergrowth was mentioned as I recall were the suggestions to further adopt the Aboriginal way of dealing with such matters.

The FAQ below mentions a few causes from lightning, undergrowth, a helicopter lamp, cigarette  yes stupid people, all contributed to starting the various fires.

Found this that might answer some questions for you.

https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/rp1920/Quick_Guides/AustralianBushfires

Thanks