News Forum - PM says Thailand will step up fight against climate change

Thaiger

9 minutes ago, gummy said:

Of course they all are really. On a side note his audience with the Pope went very well apparently as it was suggested Biden passed the first step to Sainthood  as the Pope classed it as a miracle he got elected.

Not when you consider the opposition.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, gummy said:

Or this one where Thailand ranks number 5 in the world for dumping plastic waste in the ocean which is more prudent when it comes to being harmful then just quoting waste produced as most of those countries recycle it causing less harm 

https://www.euronews.com/green/2021/06/22/ranked-the-top-10-countries-that-dump-the-most-plastic-into-the-ocean

The focus first should be top to bottom on the chart. Inovations made by the top three might be useful to others.

3 hours ago, Yinn said:

Maybe your province have problems but I don’t live there. IMO is that hypocritical for the biggest polluters (farangs) to tell Thais how we must do. Ridiculous. Same the covid advice.
Pfffft. 
farangs pollute the most, have/spead covid the most, then complain about Thais? Should be the other way, but Thailand too polite. Just smile and think “Are they crazy? They look the mirror or not””

And not sure why farangs want to live in CM if they hate it??????

Meanwhile in Ranong.... the trees complaining because not enough carbon dioxide. They can not breath, choking. 

8678AE7F-4988-424E-9F55-B87E96EBEFA3.jpeg

Oh come on man (sic). Chiang mai has serious problems with polution/smoke. Partially due to the lack of action, but also the it sits in a bowl that traps the air. Like living in LA. Fire management might help but not totally solve the problems.

Best to live outside the area and only visit. 

Ranong must be a breath of fresh air. Best to keep quiet or you'll get all the problems moving from elsewhere.

14 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

The focus first should be top to bottom on the chart. Inovations made by the top three might be useful to others.

This is their contact details so suggest you advise them on what they are doing wrong

Euronews Headquarters

56, quai Rambaud,

69002 Lyon

France

Tel: +(33) 4 28 67 00 00

1 hour ago, mickkotlarski said:

Palooka..its a forum for all of us. Global warming is "Global" as is pollution, over population etc etc. 

We all have a guilt and contribute to a dirty world. It's up to all of us to fix it.

Exactly Khun mic.
That why I provide “per capita=per person” to show how much the farang people make the c02.

Maybe Palooka not understand “per capita” meaning. 

The Thai can reduce, but really need farang from Australia, Canada, USA and Europe reduce more. If they same as Thai people will make big difference. Not go up 1.5C already. 
They make the problem for the world, but now want Thai to reduce more? 

How about farang reduce to Thai level, then complain about Thai. I think fair. and good for the situation.

Same like listen to fat person tell skinny person that skinny person should diet. Er, ok.

4 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Exactly Khun mic.
That why I provide “per capita=per person” to show how much the farang people make the c02.

Maybe Palooka not understand “per capita” meaning. 

The Thai can reduce, but really need farang from Australia, Canada, USA and Europe reduce more. If they same as Thai people will make big difference. Not go up 1.5C already. 
They make the problem for the world, but now want Thai to reduce more? 

How about farang reduce to Thai level, then complain about Thai. I think fair. and good for the situation.

Same like listen to fat person tell skinny person that skinny person should diet. Er, ok.

Its true what you say Yinn, absolutely. However climate warming is hindered by Indian cows also, this may be of interest

content.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1890646,00.html

1 hour ago, Smithydog said:

Actually, 95% of the sugar cane produced in Australia comes from North Queensland,

I'm also waking up in areas where there are no insects, and that's really, really dodgy because that's the basis of the food chain; once the insects are gone, the birdlife … and reptile life depletes and everything thereafter pays a price."

link https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-18/why-are-there-so-many-fires-burning-the-top-end-black-every-year/10238998

Why you burn the grass, kill all the animals, birds insects? 
Australia burn more than Thailand. Sure.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-87721-x

23 minutes ago, Yinn said:

By the term 'farang' are you meaning white foreigners, or all foreigners - just to be clear as some members may find the term offensive depending in which context your using the term.

'Foreigner' meaning anyone not Thai by nationality - the rest of the world, or just the white foreigners.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, gummy said:

Or this one where Thailand ranks number 5 in the world for dumping plastic waste in the ocean which is more prudent when it comes to being harmful then just quoting waste produced as most of those countries recycle it causing less harm 

https://www.euronews.com/green/2021/06/22/ranked-the-top-10-countries-that-dump-the-most-plastic-into-the-ocean

I don't know where you live, but there have been major campaigns to reduce plastic waste. Also, many TV adds. The concern in Thailand is quite high.

6 minutes ago, Yinn said:

I'm also waking up in areas where there are no insects, and that's really, really dodgy because that's the basis of the food chain; once the insects are gone, the birdlife … and reptile life depletes and everything thereafter pays a price."

link https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-18/why-are-there-so-many-fires-burning-the-top-end-black-every-year/10238998

For the reasons indicated in the article. The vast majority are wildfires, not caused by human hand but nature itself in the form of weather conditions like lightening that hit the highly inflammable dry tinder. 

Some burn-off of natural undergrowth occurs but again this is vastly different in the Northern Territory especially as they use Aboriginal Land management techniques that protects the animals and the canopy, reduces the volume of smoke, and better helps the environment.

Many areas are now learning such techniques and applying the principles to avoid the scale of wildfires Australia has seen and reduce the impact that such necessary work does to avoid the horrific wildfires we have seen. Something they have been doing for tens of thousands of year.

https://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/land/aboriginal-fire-management

And yes we have our share of idiots that think it is fun to set off a fire and our share of government talk that does nothing to help.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

I thought is Thailand forum. THAIger Not  FARANGer

i not hate farang. But boring to listen to stupid Thaibashing when you people make most of the world pollution.

Apologises I didn't know THAIger (Not FARANGer)  was for Thai people. 

Have to start up a new Forum for Farangers then.

Pity of it all is that if more Thais read Thaiger, in particular members of the Govt, they might learn how they are making fools of themselves to the world and stuffing up a very nice country.

Yes we are critical, but maybe we care, criticism can be good if taken properly to fix mistakes and move on more knowlegable.

Your quote from earlier. "Maybe your province have problems but I don’t live there."

This suggests that you don't really care what happens in Thailand, only what happens where you are located.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Where are there no insects ? You live on Mars now ? 

So according to you because more industrialised nations produce more co2 Thailand should do-nothing about the problem and the thousands of death trap vehicles on its roads, which wouldn’t be allowed in the nations you hate so much, should just be allowed to choke up the towns at will yes ? 

The biggest polluters in the world are aware of the issues and all will have programs to try to resolve it, whereas the average Thai hasn’t a clue about the problem, or care for it. We have no recycling schemes in my area at all!

You can’t find a Thai male to care about their children so you’re sure not going to find one that cares about plastic!! You can see it in every day life especially the groups of your hated farang cleaning up your beaches with Thais looking on thinking what the hell are they doing! 

Thailand has no concept of ‘Green’ unless of course you can give us a list of major green initiatives ?? 

• Like 5

I adopt the position of folks like Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson, who agrees on climate change, and that human industrial and consumer activity is a contributing factor, but not "THE" factor.  I always come away from his sobering talks on this subject with a greater sense of context relative to Earth's long, known history of cyclic change, which assists me greatly in ignoring the tribal white noise regurgitated back and forth from opposite ends of the spectrum.

I go along with the position that the measurable increase in our industrial and consumer activity, and its related discharge, and depletion of resources to fuel increasing demand, is having a measurable impact on Earth's environment, atmosphere and eco system.  

Efforts to broaden the use of natural energy resources will limit industrial impact on the system, and at the same time, help to preserve and extend the reserves of fossil fuel resources, ideally as a ready-back up in times when natural sources are diminished.  We can do both at the same time, simply work toward reversing the priority.  This will help make our current, habitable period of time on Earth more fruitful and livable, but will not inhibit the inevitable changes coming our way. 

Apart from the calculation that our Sun will eventually be Earth's undoing, another is that Earth's rotation rate is already measurably slowing.  Causes me to envision a whole chicken, or a slab of kebab meat, on a rotating BBQ spit that's slowing incrementally over time, whilst facing an intensifying heat source, exacerbated by a pitifully thin layer of protective atmosphere that's also subject to the corrosive affect of incrementally prolonged exposure to the Sun, as well as assault from below by the activities of the current, human life forms.

Land ice sheets melting = dramatic rise in sea level, predicted to be high enough to reach New York Statue of Liberty's elbow?  Not an outlandish statement.  I sit in my boat on holiday, looking at the coastline's contour in front of me, and it's rather obvious where the water level once was - roughly equal to the Statue of Liberty's elbow....  Drive 100 miles over the coastal mountain range then down onto the desert floor below current sea level, kick the sand and find sea shells.  Don't need to be an Astrophysicist to work this one out.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TWS60 said:

Land ice sheets melting = dramatic rise in sea level, predicted to be high enough to reach New York Statue of Liberty's elbow?  Not an outlandish statement. 

I googled that and there is still some uncertainty about the full volume of glaciers and ice caps on Earth, but if all of them were to melt, global sea level would rise approx 70 mtrs flooding every coastal city on the planet. So my question was  how high is the statue of liberty's elbow above current sea level ? According to National Geographic the statue is 7.4  mtrs above sea level. Although not stated I assumed that to mean the bottom of it.  As the statue is is 33.86 mtrs from heel to top of head then should the ice melt  the entire statue will be in the region of 30 mtrs underwater - Not a lot of people know that 😉

Ref. https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/how-would-sea-level-change-if-all-glaciers-melted?qt-news_science_products=0#qt-news_science_products

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

I don’t go in for conspiracy theories. I don’t know about other countries, but in the U.K., most of the mainstream television media is run and staffed by lefties who support anyone who is pro-climate change. 

If man made climate change or indeed climate change is as critical as some claim, then there should be no problem getting images to show it. They have plenty of images showing flooding and forest fires and plenty of cyclone damage. They don’t need to show pictures of ocean plastic as part of an item on climate change and global warming. Environmental damage, then sure they can, but not relate it to global warming. I guess they are hedging their bets a little. If in 20 years London still isn’t under a metre of water, or the Maldives still have a thriving tourism industry, then they can always say they were more worried about ocean waste.

I’m a firm supporter of stopping environmental damage. I also believe the climate is warming. I’m less convinced climate warming is created by mankind to the point where if we change then we can halt the warming? I’m not saying it’s not caused by mankind, I’m just saying I haven’t seen unquestionable evidence. 

I agree that environmental damage and pollution is an issue that needs dramatic reduction and cessation.

When it comes to media presentation it is not difficult to provide visual evidence of gross plastic pollution as not entirely unrelated to the subject of climate change. The combined impact of air, soil,  and water pollution is causing reductions in sustainable safe  food supply while climate change is also creating difficulties in agricultural output. The combination is a reality regardless of the "cause" of climate change.

There is quite graphic evidence of the accelerating ice melts which, in more realistic predictions, potentially will incrementally but significantly raise sea levels by the end of the century. The more immediate impact is the temperature of the oceans and the current flows which historically have impact on seasonal changes and severity of weather over land masses. Unfortunately media interest in "selling" news relies on more on shock value photographs than relatively  boring ones of melting ice. They also don't show the rising levels of heavy metals in sea beds or produce dragged out of the sea because to the majority numbers and graphs provide no shock comprehension that pictures and video of mass destruction and death do.

To my way of thinking overall pollution and climate change have integrated factors of urgent significance that for the most part none of have been acknowledged beyond discussion and negotiations to perpetuate the status quo.

24 minutes ago, Convert54 said:

To my way of thinking overall pollution and climate change have integrated factors of urgent significance that for the most part none of have been acknowledged beyond discussion and negotiations to perpetuate the status quo.

Agree whole heartedly. If you have time Google CSIRO Research Publication Repository and then green house etc.  Full of reports, books by eminant people from 1989 till 2020 warning the world of what's coming. No one listened then in 1989 or since to the 1000s of publications, so guess the will do nothing with their discussions. 

Climate summit all had a nice chat, said the right things, made hollow indications of change, had their photos taken and went home to wife and kids and suggested to the family they may buy a boat and forgot about it all.  Until there is money to be made from doing something about it, nothing will change.

3 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

Palooka..its a forum for all of us. Global warming is "Global" as is pollution, over population etc etc. 

We all have a guilt and contribute to a dirty world. It's up to all of us to fix it.

My bad. Thought I covered that we are all responsible and need to work together, Thais included.

5 hours ago, palooka said:

All countries need to help to fix the problem,

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, palooka said:

My bad. Thought I covered that we are all responsible and need to work together, Thais included.

Good one!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Faz said:

off topic post removed.
Nowhere in the thread title is Australia mentioned and last time I looked it wasn't a new Province in Thailand either.

Thank you Faz. The article you posted was appreciated but information simply falls on deaf ears if not read.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gummy said:

I tried to search the web to find if Greta Thunberg has arrived yet on her bicycle but nothing reported so guess she has more problems than the worlds climate to think about, that North Sea can be bloody dangerous on a pedalo this time of year.

Apparently she came by rail. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gummy said:

France

Tel: +(33) 4 28 67 00 00

I thought phone number against FG?

26 minutes ago, Faz said:

Nowhere in the thread title is Australia mentioned and last time I looked it wasn't a new Province in Thailand either.

Or France.

Edited by Faz
Personal phone numbers are not permitted. The post by Gummy was before I made a comment.I

7 hours ago, Yinn said:

Sorry we hurt your world so much. 

I get the sarcasm @Yinn and I understand the question of why should poorer and under developed countries pay for the mess that more developed countries have caused and benefitted from. The problem is the question what is meant by “Pay”?  If it’s financial support to help poorer countries transition and implement climate friendly technologies, the sharing of technological solutions which help climate change and support green products through taxation benefits, then yes. I do think that’s how “payment” should be structured. If on the other hand “Pay” means compensation; large amounts of cash being moved and handed out to under developed countries to compensate for damage inflicted, then no. 

Many of these so called poorer or underdeveloped countries are like they are due to significant and massive levels of corruption. Thailand being a case in point. Simply to hand billion of dollars to such countries would do little or nothing to solve climate change and simply pay for more air conditioned houses, cars and private jets for the wealthy rulers who have stolen the wealth of the people they should be serving. 

Finally I would use a phrase I hear a lot in Thailand “up to you”. If all countries don’t get on board and try to limit climate change, then it is many of the poorer countries who will suffer most. The richer nations will find technological solutions to better food production. Build better flood defences and relocate populations away from areas of drought etc. If climate change is caused by humans to the extent we can halt it (maybe?) then we will all be impacted and ultimately could kill humanity.  The journey to that apocalyptic day will be far more comfortable in New York, Tokyo, London or Rome than it will in Dhaka, Mali or even Bangkok. 

• Like 2