News Forum - 5 million deaths – 22 months of Covid-19

Thaiger

1 hour ago, Bob20 said:

There has to be a relation between Covid and the death. That gives rise to a grey area. But it would be silly if you're walking along a high-rise and a piano dropped on your head, you'd be counted as a Covid-related death just because you tested positive three weeks earlier. It would also ignore the fact that there has to be a shorter or longer period of uninterrupted illness from the virus.

You’d hope so wouldn’t you. I’ve always said that the actual number has a purpose in terms of when or when not to take action. After that, it’s more tje tens of increases or decreases that guides you   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TV7 said:

If it's double, meaning 10.000.000 people, it means that the same amount of deaths per year of malaria and the flu ( before covid) combined. Just look it up. But yeah, malaria isn't a problem because it doesn't affect the western world, and we got used to the flu. Time to accept covid, move on, take our responsibilities with the vaccine, wash hands, isolate five days, etc. They are not even talking about the number of people who died over the last two years because they couldn't get an operation they needed or depression and started to take their own lives.

Definitely right. Nobody wants to see the collateral damages done by the mainstream media 24/7. Opioids consumption has more than tripled in north America with 50% more deaths by overdose. Also addictions are on the rise with alcohol, gambling online and lotteries. Debts per household have reached levels taking people to bankruptcies and counseling. In Canada the new government has a ministry of mental health that tells a lot about the Covid policies with lockdowns, curfews, confinements and dependence to the welfare state. Was it worth it?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Soidog said:

Evening Mr Wilder!

I think we are actually in full agreement on this. You highlight  Gingritch in the US using the media (the same lot I blame) for the breakdown. The same could be true in most countries. In the U.K., the proliferation of television channels and 24 hours news meant they had to fill air time with something. In the U.K. I place the blame heavily on Channel 4 who’s programmes like “big brother” and “the only way is Essex” are programs which encourage the breakdown of respect and social behaviour. Many of the “stars” from these programs go on to become rich and famous. They are the new role models for children. 

About three years ago I watched a program looking at changes to social attitudes in the U.K. They compared an interview with children aged 12-16 with the same interview from 1999. Back then, many of the kids wanted to be footballers (soccer to you Americans!), but many still wanted to be pilots, engineers, teachers, nurses or musicians. Today, the kids all want to be like Kim Khardashian or some other Social Media “influencer”. Gingritch may have been the problem in the US, but his vehicle for spreading his claptrap was the media. 

Enjoy your Sunday evening 👍🏻

Morning

No, we are not in full agreement.

It is like asking who is responsible for a screw being screwed in; the screwdriver or the hand that holds it? Both are needed, but...

In a bit of over-simplification, you seem to be saying the screwdriver (the media), but I very much think the hand (those that the media report on). But, yes, having Joey Essex as a role model in the UK is a bad thing.

I blame parents for their children and what their children do. The media doesn't help, but all rests on those that raised their kids.

Cheers

Edited by Shade_Wilder
Need Coffee

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

Thanks for the clarification on that @Bob20, it would be good to see the source of that definition in the U.K. of you have it.   I know a number of people, myself included who are often lead to believe that if I have a Covid test now and test positive and then 20 days from now die in a car crash, I’m classed as a Covid death. I knew it wasn’t as bad as that, as I’ve heard many times that it states something like:

Died within 28 days of a positive Covid test and where Covid is mentioned on the death certificate. A subtle but important distinction 👍🏻

That's correct - someone read it out exactly like that on the BBC news on Friday. Regardless of your cause of death, if it's within 28 days of your positive covid test, it goes in the covid figures! Disease related or not doesn't make a difference.

13 hours ago, Bob20 said:

You're very late to the party... We discussed all this and debunked it month's ago 🤭

It's "only" 5m deaths because of all the lockdowns, masks, distancing, and... vaccines. It would not have been just double but unimaginably worse without all that. So please educate yourself instead of spouting uninformed babble.

Once people that want a vaccine are protected it's a different matter. But we're not there yet and the ones who were lucky to receive their jabs should have some consideration for the ones who are still waiting, instead of being selfish and totally devoid of empathy. The weekend break or holiday they so desperately "need" isn't worth someone else admission to hospital or death.

Almost 10 months since the vaccination started and the mood and mental health of people either vaxed or not has been going downhill. Restaurants, bars, night-clubs are empty and airlines have not recovered despite the billions injected (thank you taxpayers). Many companies have closed due to lack of clients or lack of skilled staff.

"Once people that want a vaccine are protected it's a different matter". Vaccination has stalled in north America despite constant ads on TV and News papers. People quit their job either by not wanting the jab or by the stressful environment in their hospitals, schools, factories, transportation, etc...From heroes they have become zeroes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bob20 said:

There has to be a relation between Covid and the death. That gives rise to a grey area. But it would be silly if you're walking along a high-rise and a piano dropped on your head, you'd be counted as a Covid-related death just because you tested positive three weeks earlier. It would also ignore the fact that there has to be a shorter or longer period of uninterrupted illness from the virus.

Silly for sure but that's how they do it. I remember sitting open mouthed at the NHS spokesperson on the BBC who stated this last Friday.

Even dafter is if you die 29 days after your Covid diagnosis OF Covid, it doesn't go in the Covid death count !

31 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Morning

No, we are not in full agreement.

It is like asking who is responsible for a screw being screwed in; the screwdriver or the hand that holds it? Both are needed, but...

In a bit of over-simplification, you seem to be saying the screwdriver (the media), but I very much think the hand (those that the media report on). But, yes, having Joey Essex as a role model in the UK is a bad thing.

I blame parents for their children and what their children do. The media doesn't help, but all rests on those that raised their kids.

Cheers

Ok, seems we don’t agree then. Enjoy the coffee 👍🏻

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Benroon said:

Silly for sure but that's how they do it. I remember sitting open mouthed at the NHS spokesperson on the BBC who stated this last Friday.

Even dafter is if you die 29 days after your Covid diagnosis OF Covid, it doesn't go in the Covid death count !

Hope you closed your mouth by now 😉

I didn't see it, but the spokesperson could be wrong. That wouldn't be the first time.

Also, day 29 would be recorded in the 60-day count which the UK do separately.

Interesting subject though as I had assumed that, although there're grey areas, the recording system would be universal, seeing that we constantly compare numbers and periods and countries.

4 hours ago, NidNoi said:

Almost 10 months since the vaccination started and the mood and mental health of people either vaxed or not has been going downhill. Restaurants, bars, night-clubs are empty and airlines have not recovered despite the billions injected (thank you taxpayers). Many companies have closed due to lack of clients or lack of skilled staff.

"Once people that want a vaccine are protected it's a different matter". Vaccination has stalled in north America despite constant ads on TV and News papers. People quit their job either by not wanting the jab or by the stressful environment in their hospitals, schools, factories, transportation, etc...From heroes they have become zeroes.

My key point is "Once people that want a vaccine are protected it's a different matter".

The ones that wish to takes their chances are free to do so. But the ones who want to be vaccinated have to get the opportunity before exposure to risk is increased.

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

Ok, seems we don’t agree then. Enjoy the coffee 👍🏻

Cheers Mate

I think this is a fascinating subject; where exactly does responsibility lie? And, how to fix it?

I am certain it'll come up again, and hopefully our time zones will be in sync for the next debate.

Have a great day.

• Like 1

Just now, Jamey27 said:

But 5 million people didn’t die from 

Lol do you actually believe all of this? You sound like one of those people who are happy to have the government take all your freedoms and lock you away because you know “science”. How many of those people actually died from COVID? How many were deathly sick before? The survival rate from aged 0-65 is 99.9%.. get a grip on reality and turn off the TV 

🤣🤣🤣

No, I believe a poster on an expat forum with a very strange personal opinion that has no backup in science and research at all.

You should go into standup comedy if you're not already 😉

🤣🤣🤣

14 minutes ago, Jamey27 said:

Lmfao you blame Newt Gingrich? You lost any and all credibility right there. Newt Gingrich hasn’t been a politician in over 26 years. He also wants the first one to do what you speak of… good lord seek mental health counseling 

Gingrich ran for President in the 2012 campaign.

A number of posts have been removed, and others have been edited to remove abusive content.

The topic of this thread is “5 million deaths – 22 months of Covid-19”. Any further off-topic replies will be removed, including those referencing statements that remain on the thread. 

Engaging debate is most welcome; to and fro bickering is not.

Regards,