News Forum - November 1 re-opening of Thailand – The Fine Print

Thaiger

Will I have access to the vaccination status of the people checking my vaccination status, the hotel “limousine” driver and all the people at the hotel? Utter stupidity unless Thailand has ZERO. Covid. Horse, gate and bolt come to mind. Totally ridiculous 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Assume so. But if you download the NHS app you can get a bar code for domestic use (nightclubs etc) or international travel. I would assume the “digital key” allows the embassy to access this international travel data and confirm your vaccination status 

What I don’t understand is how all this Thailand pass BS is ANY different from the COE. They say you won’t need the TM8 and TM6. So what. You still have to replace that with the Mor Prom app. Total nonsense and nothing more than Thai logic at play 

Of course nonsense but if you have no choice when you go, you have to suck it up or it adds to the stress of the nonsense!

However, onto the next unknown hurdle, I'm probably not the only one who's wondering what the odds are that the 'Thailand Pass' appears at all on November 2nd (or is it 1st?) and if so how long before it crashes as more than 3 people have logged on ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Of course nonsense but if you have no choice when you go, you have to suck it up or it adds to the stress of the nonsense!

However, onto the next unknown hurdle, I'm probably not the only one who's wondering what the odds are that the 'Thailand Pass' appears at all on November 2nd (or is it 1st?) and if so how long before it crashes as more than 3 people have logged on ! 

Agreed mate. We all know the total debacle this new system will cause. Laughing stock of any advanced society basically. Starting to feel more pity than frustration with them to be honest. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Benroon said:

You working for TAT now?

More than 3 🤣

I think they'll be safe 😉

• Haha 2

There's reportedly 150 Sth Koreans arriving into CNX next week but one would assume they all did COE's.  No doubt TAT will fail to mention the 'special arrangements' made for this flight and tout it as a success of the -re-opening program.   Their destination looks ideal for isolation amid Lamphun/Chiang Mai worsening covid outbreak.

image.thumb.png.273920f9e9f75df96e8dcff71abb99cc.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

There's reportedly 150 Sth Koreans arriving into CNX next week but one would assume they all did COE's.  No doubt TAT will fail to mention the 'special arrangements' made for this flight and tout it as a success of the -re-opening program.   Their destination looks ideal for isolation amid Lamphun/Chiang Mai worsening covid outbreak.

Good morning KR. I read that the flight arrives on 5 November and that CNX can process max.100 passengers per hour, so one full flight can take 2-3 hours with passengers following 8 steps.

In the same article I read a little further down that in high season they expect 6000-7000 passengers  a day. I guess the government will be extending the days to last 60-70 hours instead of 24 then 🤣🤣🤣

And on another note, they may start preparing more field hospitals already, so they don't get caught out too late!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, L-Dogg said:

You do not get tested at the airport. I have been thru the airport a few times under current guidelines and you arrive, process paperwork, clear customs, then you go to a designated area and look for your ASQ driver holding a sign with the hotel name on it. You arrive at the hotel, and are tested there. They do have a rapid testing lab at the airport, but it only gets used if you get tagged with a high temp, or are showing symptoms. Then be prepared to fork over 1000 baht for the test.

Not for 1 night in an SHA+ arriving Phuket.

After processing paperwork and clearing customs, the designated testing area is directly outside the terminal, before your transported to your hotel. @Benroon take note.

• Like 2

Can anyone advise what are documentary requirements for domestic air travel for residents (i.e. not those just arrived on an international flight) from Nov 1st. Are they different if you want to travel to, let’s say Phuket, or somewhere in Isaan like Udon Thani? 

6 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Seems like the Korea to Chiang Mai route will be a regularly scheduled flight. Somewhat similar to Thailand, the Korean "With COVID-19" program starts November 1st.  Asiana Airlines starts daily flights to Bangkok and "low-cost carriers are also preparing for an expected increase of travel demand by adding flights for routes to Southeast Asia. Korea’s biggest budget carrier Jeju Air, will operate private flights for golf tours starting Nov. 5 to Chiang Mai and is planning to resume flights to Guam from Gimhae International Airport before the end of the year." 

-Korea Herald

I was about to book my flights for my annual "run from the crap weather" 2 month break in Thailand until I realised that it's a huge gamble.

Fail the test (catch it on the plane) and you are put into a quarantine hotel/hospital (for 10 days one assumes). 

If you could stay in your bungalow, or hire a hotel room with a private pool, and stay there, I'd take the risk, but not to pay to be locked up for 10 days (I'm double vaxxed so an unlikely risk to myself). I've just done a 2 week stint in Cyprus and at least there I had comfort in the knowledge of the fact I'd isolate in my poolside villa if I tested positive. ON top of that, there is no arrival testing so it's left to you to manage your life.

I just can't take the gamble. Hopefully things will get better over there as this progresses.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Faz said:

Not for 1 night in an SHA+ arriving Phuket.

After processing paperwork and clearing customs, the designated testing area is directly outside the terminal, before your transported to your hotel. @Benroon take note.

Yep cheers Faz, my friend has just done the Phuket route so I was aware, but then when you see all the BKK hotels including it in their price it kicked up the grey area. The hotel has just confirmed to me they have a doctor sent in. So yes now all clear. 

1 minute ago, Dodgey said:

I was about to book my flights for my annual "run from the crap weather" 2 month break in Thailand until I realised that it's a huge gamble.

Fail the test (catch it on the plane) and you are put into a quarantine hotel/hospital (for 10 days one assumes). 

I don't think that's even possible - if you get your required clear PCR before boarding no test straight after is going to pick up you positive if you have picked it up as it takes 2-3 days to show up I'm informed, thus the numerous posts regarding the pointlessness of it.

The worry area I guess is if someone else tests positive on the flight and they come after you days after you land (but given the above is that possible ? ie do thais have to do a clear PCR test prior to boarding ?) - tbh I'm not sure what would happen there, again conflicting views as to what would happen in that scenario.

6 minutes ago, Benroon said:

I don't think that's even possible - if you get your required clear PCR before boarding no test straight after is going to pick up you positive if you have picked it up as it takes 2-3 days to show up I'm informed, thus the numerous posts regarding the pointlessness of it.

The worry area I guess is if someone else tests positive on the flight and they come after you days after you land (but given the above is that possible ? ie do thais have to do a clear PCR test prior to boarding ?) - tbh I'm not sure what would happen there, again conflicting views as to what would happen in that scenario.

Well summarised in terms of the pointlessness of the arrival test. 

The other risk we should not forget, is that you could actually catch the virus and be quiet sick. I know several people who have been fully vaccinated and went on to catch the virus. All recovered, but all said it was not something they would like again or wish on anyone. One person who had this continued to test positive for over 3 weeks. That could also be an issue for a person visiting for a short time and wanting to return home. Equally, if an airline or country you are returning to requires a clear PCR test before departure, you could have a problem if you were to contract the virus a few days prior to your departure date. 

In all the discussion over tests and hoops to jump through etc, we should all remember there is a pandemic still going on and any travel right now carries a reasonable degree of risk in having your plans totally messed up. Good luck to everyone 

• Like 1

Hope all goes well for those that are about to board a flight to Thailand.

(IMO those arriving on the 1st should be certified, you are getting on a flight to a country that has a Govt that is certifiable and its creating complex rules that no one understands, you could wind up anywhere and up to your neck in debt not knowing if you'll be able or capable of the return trip.)

Good luck and have a nice holiday.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Better wait 48 hours before going there or you will have to wait long time before all Kims are off the course.

21 hours ago, Benroon said:

That's correct -  now if only someone could clarify that you get tested at BKK airport likewise on arrival as if so why are all AQ hotels including a PCR test in the price of their packages ?

I booked my hotel in Phuket (Pulman) for 2 nights and they didn't include PCR test.They gave me the link to  the center where I could book my test on the airport. Same same but different.

6 hours ago, Benroon said:

That's interesting, and something I'd not thought of, thank you.

Regarding someone else - I'd be sure to GTF out of my day one hotel and run!! :-)

It really is an odd system. I posted this on another forum (where I was sent in this direction for more detailed advice), but your update has made me less stressed about the possibility of being "banged up in a cardboard hospital". Still not a great system to kick start tourism.

" I'm going to watch this and see... I really want to go. But, that means basically touching NOTHING and being breathed on by NOBODY from the airport gates, through the whole flight (including changeover/stop) to arriving in BKK. Its a really unreasonable expectation. We'd pretty much have to fly in full on hazmat suits to be sure :-) perhaps in the luggage hold - at least we'd be croygenically frozen for the trip!"

6 hours ago, Benroon said:

Not to be argumentative Benroon, but if you get infected a few days before your pre-flight test and still test negative, by the time you land in Thailand the test may well show positive. So, it's not that it impossible, but chances are small as we saw with low case numbers in the sandbox.

17 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Not to be argumentative Benroon, but if you get infected a few days before your pre-flight test and still test negative, by the time you land in Thailand the test may well show positive. So, it's not that it impossible, but chances are small as we saw with low case numbers in the sandbox.

Yes agreed, there are going to be odd nuances for sure - there will always be an element of hope for the best.

The airlines ventilation systems really are state of the art stuff so being cooped up in a can for 12 hours with an infected person/people doesn't necessarily mean you are going to get it - however I'll probably fly double masked just in case !! :-)

Just now, Benroon said:

Yes agreed, there are going to be odd nuances for sure - there will always be an element of hope for the best.

The airlines ventilation systems really are state of the art stuff so being cooped up in a can for 12 hours with an infected person/people doesn't necessarily mean you are going to get it - however I'll probably fly double masked just in case !! :-)

Just breathe in deep when you enter and breathe out again when you exit 🤣

• Haha 3

to get tourtist coming back,knock off the pass,the one night hotel,insurance crap and the test again on arriving!this stuff is over kill and its killing any bookings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, farang said:

to get tourtist coming back,knock off the pass,the one night hotel,insurance crap and the test again on arriving!this stuff is over kill and its killing any bookings.

Its a revenue stream ! They are gonna ride the stream as long as they can !

On 10/29/2021 at 8:45 PM, Benroon said:

That's really interesting - as stated above my flight lands at 07:25 so I should get the results long before I need the nights accommodation - obviously I would still have to pay the hotel but presumably I would be free to go a few hours after I got there which would be roughly early afternoon ! 

You say you get there night-time - when I was looking at the Agoda list of quarantine hotels (111 of them) - it stated any flights arriving after 16:00hrs there would be an additional nights surcharge. As you were kind enough to help me I thought I would pass that on.

Finnair?