News Forum - Foreign teenage boy falls to his death from 14th floor condo

Thaiger

In a condominium building in Sattahip, a 17 year old foreign boy was found dead on the ground after a fall from a 14th-floor condo. The boy’s nationality was reported as either Irish or British but has not been confirmed. The incident occurred on Tuesday morning on Soi Na Jomtien 18 at a mixed-use condo and hotel building. The boy’s 52 year old mother, who was also identified as a foreign national, was found crying near the teenage boy’s body. As a minor, the name of the boy was withheld, and the name of the condo was also not mentioned […]

The story Foreign teenage boy falls to his death from 14th floor condo as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Rip

Don't want to be disrespectful, but how do foreigners keep falling off balconies here? 

Ok, it's a kid this time, but I mean overall. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

Rip

Don't want to be disrespectful, but how do foreigners keep falling off balconies here? 

The older guys tend to get pushed.  I think this was a suicide tho...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

but how do foreigners keep falling off balconies here? 

Thailand's building laws and compliance are nothing like Western nations, ie: Australian minimum height for balustrading is 1m from floor level.   Tall foreigners can easily over-balance on a balcony of say 900mm or less as may be the case here.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, KaptainRob said:

Thailand's building laws and compliance are nothing like Western nations, ie: Australian minimum height for balustrading is 1m from floor level.   Tall foreigners can easily over-balance on a balcony of say 900mm or less as may be the case here.

Although in this case KR it was a child so other factors are also in play here. But still in agreement though with your statement though.

4 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Oops. teenager not child...I stand self corrected.

Just now, mickkotlarski said:

Although in this case KR it was a child

A 17 year old might easily be quite tall  Even @ average height would likely exceed 175cm.  I won't speculate on other possible scenarios.  Occam's razor!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

If it's like my second story veranda, the railings are only about 80 cm high. Very easy to topple over, even if you just slip on a wet service.

Article Quote: Meanwhile, the Na Jomtien Police will continue their own investigation separately to try to determine any extenuating circumstances to determine if the boy fell or jumped from the condo window or any other possibility.

Just like KR said up above- Look no farther than the idiotic height of the Thai balcony rails. I have been saying this for years and years and years for here now. Also if you add in the particular type of flooring i.e. tile or slippery brick, if one had socks or slippers on it would actually help you slide and propel you to lose balance, and as KR might tend to say in his old Captain days, man overboard.

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

... if the boy fell or jumped from the condo window ...

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

... plummeted from the condo window ...

"window" according to the Thaiger.

... although the source, the Pattaya News,  doesn't specify.

On 10/28/2021 at 12:45 PM, KaptainRob said:

A 17 year old might easily be quite tall  Even @ average height would likely exceed 175cm.  I won't speculate on other possible scenarios.  Occam's razor!

On 10/29/2021 at 1:44 PM, Bob said:

Think they should stop building at bungalow height 

The link to original article say boy have stress and depression.
I think the height not important this case. 
Also he fall from balcony, not window. 

RIP 

Khun Qayleb.

On 10/28/2021 at 6:38 AM, KaptainRob said:

Yes agreed KR. At 17 years old the boy could still be 6 feet tall these days! Some of the barriers in hotels are incredibly low.