News Forum - Tourism calls for Russia and India to be added to safe list

Thaiger

19 hours ago, BigHewer said:

The contemporary equivalent is nationals from certain countries being trotted off to report to health authorities at the airport. The question is, what should be the criteria for determining which countries deserve to be on the safe list? And which countries are the “high risk areas” ?

I agree with the question, but I think "quality of wallet" appears to be the guiding rule.

• Like 1

Say what?

In dec 2019. Official tat stats.

Russian tourists in Thailand. As many as UK and US tourists combines.

Money spent. As much as UK and US combined.

IMG_20211011_230733.jpg

IMG_20211011_230716.jpg

Hi @YesNoMaybe

Please provide a link for the 2 images, otherwise the post will be removed

Rule 6.   

All text and posted content must align to the topic and/or the first post under that topic. Posts must be accompanied by a personal comment & direct link (URL) to any quoted text or data image for verification.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Brownie said:

As per ourworldindata India is at 22% fully vaxed and 52% single dosed.  They have given over a billion doses though and vax rates in urban areas are much higher than the national average.

(BTW, the 2 Indians on their way are fully vaxxed 😄)

That is clearly a misleading statement. To get to 52% single dosed, you are counting the double jabbed twice.

A more accurate version is "22% fully vaxxed and a further 30% single dosed"

• Like 2

18 hours ago, YesNoMaybe said:

Same logic again. UK has more cases per 100k than Russin. 4 times more. 67 percent vaccinated.

Ur vaccines doesnt mean a thing in aspects of containment. Double vaxed, triple vaxed, booster vaxed. U still can be contagious. 

The only thing that valuable on that plane to thailand is a PCR test.

1635075153300.jpg

But one point about Vaxxing that should also be considered is that the vaxxed are less likely to suffer infection or reinfection.

Regarding PCR tests, they have their usefulness, but many will complain that the frequency of testing for visitors is far too high in TH. To that I would remind them of the Burmese family in the Phuket Sandbox who were found to be infectious om their 7 day test. Were they already infected upon arrival, or did they pick it up in TH? We will never know but had there not been a multi-testing protocol, these three people would not have been detected and isolated,

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dprasad said:

India sofar achieved 1billion doses shots to its citizens.. We are the leaders of vaccination.... 

I don't think the rest of the world believe your figures, Modi has been lying from day 1 IMO (and in the opinion of many others)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JamesR said:

We in the UK are over 80% fully vaccinated and now the booster jab is being rolled out, I will get mine next month.

I do wish people who quote figures would check before they publish them or give a source for the claim. The correct figure is 67% fully vaxxed, with a further 6% partials giving about 73%.

But what concerns me most about the UK figures, is that in the past two months, the total share of the population that has had one or both jabs has increased from 70 to just 73%, which supposes that the bulk of the eligible population that wants to be vaxxed, has been. At present, I see nothing to suggest to me that the UK will reach 80% fully vaxxed.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Guest1 said:

Ok, your country is a continent with a lot of space. Literally, 'caus 80% of the population is living in the southeast "corner" of it. If I remember that right. 

Regardless of where the people are located, in percentage terms, OZ are well ahead India in regard to vaxxing.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Andrew Reeve said:

Hi @YesNoMaybe

Please provide a link for the 2 images, otherwise the post will be removed

Rule 6.   

All text and posted content must align to the topic and/or the first post under that topic. Posts must be accompanied by a personal comment & direct link (URL) to any quoted text or data image for verification.

https://www.mots.go.th/mots_en/News-link.php?nid=3646

Official thai source. Ministry of tourism and sports.

Russians are as many as US and UK combined and spending as much as US and UK combined. 

Edited by YesNoMaybe
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

That is clearly a misleading statement. To get to 52% single dosed, you are counting the double jabbed twice.

A more accurate version is "22% fully vaxxed and a further 30% single dosed"

I stand corrected Sir John. Being a back-bencher I wasn't particularly good at maths in school!

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 4:27 PM, Thaiger said:

Now that the 46 countries that can enter Thailand on November 1 without quarantine have been announced, many in the tourism industry are calling for some notable absences to be added to the list. Tourism groups in major travel hubs are calling on the government to add Russia and India to the list of approved countries, believing it will massively boost the number of travellers coming into Thailand this high season. Russia didn’t make the cut for the 46 approved countries because of a recent surge in Covid-19 in the country the only has about a 33% vaccination rate with […]

The story Tourism calls for Russia and India to be added to safe list as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

November 1....... 46 Countries can enter Thailand without quarantining ?   I don't think this will end well.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dasoba said:

You are so wrong. Australia has 73% fully vaccinated, not "one of the lowest vaccination rates" as you claim.

As for India, just 51% fully vaccinated. That leaves a huge number of people in real danger, don't you think? Thailand has 55% fully vaccinated. Wouldn't it make sense to set your target to at least the same rate as yourself, ie 55% or better?

It never ceases to amaze me how people always try to play the "race card" when they really have nothing to say.

I would guess the 45% unvaccinated would be mostly poor people in the outer most regions of India.  Not people that travel internationally.  Most Indians that have the means to travel to Thailand will likely be  vaccinated.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rasputin said:

I don't think the rest of the world believe your figures, Modi has been lying from day 1 IMO (and in the opinion of many others)

Everyone lies. Just look at whats goin on in Spore right now. 

"The only way we survive is to vaccinate"

"Herd immunity"

"At least 75 percent"

"We 85 now"

"We don know whats goin on, prolly need another booster"

U should check this presser. What a shitshow 

https://youtu.be/KaTsUXJkZDo

2 minutes ago, Soidog9 said:

I would guess the 45% unvaccinated would be mostly poor people in the outer most regions of India.  Not people that travel internationally.  Most Indians that have the means to travel to Thailand will likely be  vaccinated.

The problem is not "poor people" (vaccines are free, you can pay if you are able and willing to).  Even outer most and far flung regions aren't the problem. It was poor production planning and excessive exports/donations by Modi inthe early days that got India off to a super slow start.

And yes, the people that travel internationally are all vaxxed and itching to travel.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bangkok_Gary said:

"Safe" list ? Misleading name. It's a "cash cow" list. A list of countries whose tourists can be milked for cash. Ha ha ha.

Ever tried hand milking a cow? If you don't treat em nice they just won't let it go ! lol

1 hour ago, JohninDubin said:

I think @Jasonraised one significant reason why country of origin is important: Verification. There are certain countries where I would not trust the necessary documentation even if it was stamped "FORGERY".

India would be high on that list.

Actually top 3 on the list is possible.

I was shocked especially a few months back when Indian news casters were showing live footage of corpses being disposed and medical authorities openly reporting that the number of recorded cases are being tampered with.

The very need to assign letters of the Greek alphabet so the renamed Delta strain should not be referred to as the India variant. Prime Minister Modi personally implored world leaders from Putin to Bojo. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Tim said:

I truly don't understand why they need Indian tourists... They obviously never experienced staying in a hotel that has Indian guests and never seen groups of 5 men sharing a bottle of Leo from the 7/11 and indefinitely haggle for getting one girl for 5 men.

I've tried researching the "value" that both Chinese and Indian tourists bring to TH and came up with the following:

Both stay 7 days on average. The overall average is 9.25 days. Chinese spend is estimated at 30-40K THB. Indians at 44k.

Chinese represent 28% of all tourists to TH. For India, that figure is 4%,

My own perceptions on what I have seen, is the higher spend by Indians is probably related to the fact they are more likely to be mongers, and as a result of this, Pattaya in particular benefits disproportionately from Indians. Conversely, Chinese are more likely to visit other destinations.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dasoba said:

You are so wrong. Australia has 73% fully vaccinated, not "one of the lowest vaccination rates" as you claim.

As for India, just 51% fully vaccinated. That leaves a huge number of people in real danger, don't you think? Thailand has 55% fully vaccinated. Wouldn't it make sense to set your target to at least the same rate as yourself, ie 55% or better?

It never ceases to amaze me how people always try to play the "race card" when they really have nothing to say.

Just to correct you, the 51% refers to the total share of population that have received at least one shot. The actual number fully vaxxed in India is 21%,

You might find this useful: https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I stand corrected Sir John. Being a back-bencher I wasn't particularly good at maths in school!

I too was at the back of the class, but that was because the school policy was to order seating by height so smaller kids were not obscured by bigger kids.

You should use that as your alibi next time and combine it with, "The teacher spoke softly", (hahaha)

2 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

I think @Jasonraised one significant reason why country of origin is important: Verification. There are certain countries where I would not trust the necessary documentation even if it was stamped "FORGERY".

India would be high on that list.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/business-58309026.amp

What countries?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Anyone not vaccinated by choice or has a fake vaccination card as in the video you posted should not be allowed medical treatment if they become ill with the virus. 

Shame on you for advocating denial of medical treatment for those that choose not to be vaxxed.  There are many VERY legitimate reasons for not wanting it (e.g. underlying medical conditions, religious convictions, unfavorable risk/benefit for age-category, etc.). 

16 minutes ago, YesNoMaybe said:

That sounds very much like a scam to me, particularly looking to fleece the gullible. For these certs to have validity, they would have to be entered on the UK database. So you are an anti-vaxxer and want to travel abroad but don't want to be vaxxed and someone offers to send you a QR code showing that you are vaxxed? And what happens when someone with a code reader sees that this is not entered on the UK database? 

And what are you going to do when you've sent your $100 and you get nothing back, or a code that will not stand scrutiny? Complain to the cops?

Of course, UK and Irish Airports already use a lot of QR coding at security gates as I am sure others do. How difficult would it be to modify these gates to read QR vax certs? I can also foresee the possibility that if Anti-vaxxers are seen as a major obstacle to reducing Covid, they may find themselves excluded from normal life, and this can be done with technology in spaces such as shops, bars, theatres etc installing QR readers to weed out the un-vaxxed.

9 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

Shame on you for advocating denial of medical treatment for those that choose not to be vaxxed.  There are many VERY legitimate reasons for not wanting it (e.g. underlying medical conditions, religious convictions, unfavorable risk/benefit for age-category, etc.). 

I agree with you that they should not be refused treatment.

However I think those with a valid reason for refusing reason for vaxxing are vastly disproportionate to the hysterics who will believe just about anything they are told by loonies and those with their own agenda, including that they have quack remedies for "curing" CV.