News Forum - Thailand’s bars and beach parties remain strictly closed (cough)

Thaiger

Will some of Thailand’s most popular hotspots ever come back to life? It appears that the bars and beach parties will never restart as these photos reveal darkened streets and deserted beaches. Last week’s Full Moon Party was cancelled after initially getting the go-ahead from Koh Pha Ngan police, after they imposed the current Covid restriction regime which made it impossible to actually have any sort of ‘party’. From the photos we can see an empty Haad Rin Beach with people avoiding what was to be the first Full Moon Party on the island since March 2020. Rumours of 300-400 […]

The story Thailand’s bars and beach parties remain strictly closed (cough) as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I think as is obvious, people are saying f##k it, let's get back to some sort of normality, I do wonder what the BIB would have done anyway, I think a riot may have started if they had tried to shut anything down. 555

• Like 2

I'm not that interested in Bangla Road anyway. I'm just looking a for a good beach holiday without the drunken yahoos (especially the tourists). I'd rather sit in a comfy chair at Kamala with my girl, sipping cocktails/wine and eating beautiful Thai food as the sun sets over the water.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Incinerate_Your_Fat said:

In that video, Bangla road doesn’t look so deserted or dark. It is not good journalism to be yellowish.

I guess that was sarcasm.

I was in Bangla yesterday and half bars are open and crowded. Even some nightclubs are opened (Hollywood).

Edited by Cqman
Typo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm not that interested in Bangla Road anyway. I'm just looking a for a good beach holiday without the drunken yahoos (especially the tourists). I'd rather sit in a comfy chair at Kamala with my girl, sipping cocktails/wine and eating beautiful Thai food as the sun sets over the water.

Sounds romantic ! Good for you,

cheers !

No sarcasm meant 

32 minutes ago, Jason said:

Are you sure there's any place still offering food at Kamala, last time I've been there it was a ghost town.

You can't even be sure that what you used to know as a 7/11 is there and yes it's really that bad.

• Haha 3

Remind you of the 1690's in the US? Puritanical Quaker type cleansing of the land? 

Gonna be a real hit with the 65,000 tourists who will show up for the remaining two months of the year, in what is normally "high season". Might as well call it "the Prayuth regression". 

Edited by dmacarelli
  • Like 2

Poor form Thaiger.

Nightlife has just started bouncing back All these people that you supposedly I have empathy for that have been largely out of work for almost 2 years finally can put food on the table again and you compromise it by posting this sarcasm filled rubbish headline

This will do nothing but draw negative attention(and possibles raids/closures) because technically they’re bending a few rules a few weeks ahead of the anticipated announcement

If anything you’ve just helped put more money in police pockets

Unnecessary.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Historically Thailand had very few young people here partying.  Soldiers during Vietnam war maybe.  

Am old and cannot understand how all these youngsters have money to travel and party.  Wealthy parents? Trust funds?  Online trading or vlogging?

The Vlogger lifestyle cannot last IMO, so many youngsters in the US quitting their jobs and doing what?  Moving in with parents? 

Yes tourism is necessary and Thailand will always be popular for many.

I just do not see how a younger party minded demographic is what is necessary for tourism to flourish.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Anon10000 said:

Poor form Thaiger.

Nightlife has just started bouncing back All these people that you supposedly I have empathy for that have been largely out of work for almost 2 years finally can put food on the table again and you compromise it by posting this sarcasm filled rubbish headline

This will do nothing but draw negative attention(and possibles raids/closures) because technically they’re bending a few rules a few weeks ahead of the anticipated announcement

If anything you’ve just helped put more money in police pockets

Unnecessary.

Who do you think sent us the photos and video?

• Haha 2

I have to correct you on your post about both the Full Moon Party and alcohol sales.

The Full Moon Party did happen.Though in a much reduced form.

The go ahead was given with a maximum of 100 people allowed  at 300b a ticket or 1000b for a VIP ticket which entitled the bearer to food. Drinks and a hotel room 

Alcohol was legally on sale .

It is also legally on sale on Koh Phangan, at bars ,restaurants and shops.

As a business owner on the island ,l hope you will correct this error.

I thought the Thaiger was better than this..

Noel Lyle-Stirling.

Edited by Faz
personal information removed.
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Shadowjak said:

I have to correct you on your post about both the Full Moon Party and alcohol sales.

The go ahead was given with a maximum of 100 people allowed  at 300b a ticket or 1000b for a VIP ticket which entitled the bearer to food. Drinks and a hotel room 

Noel Lyle-Stirling.

noel19500@yahoo.co.uk

Hi Noel. Replied to you on email with our responses from the police re 'legal alcohol sales'.

1 hour ago, TimothyN said:

Who do you think sent us the photos and video?

And now you’ve magnified we the problem with your one sided reporting

It didn’t need to be a national headline If you had a care or thought for the tens of thousands of people In this industry trying to get back to work which ever way they can

Police sent you the Bangla video too?

Come on

like I said. Unnecessary.

1 hour ago, Anon10000 said:

And now you’ve magnified we the problem with your one sided reporting

It didn’t need to be a national headline If you had a care or thought for the tens of thousands of people In this industry trying to get back to work which ever way they can

Police sent you the Bangla video too?

Come on

like I said. Unnecessary.

Sorry but I’m not sure what it is you are supporting or have an issue with here? The Tiger is a news outlet. Surely people breaking the law and the approach of law enforcement to that law breaking is newsworthy?  They are not ratting these people out. They are reporting something which is in the public interest to know. You can’t make laws and then allow people to break them just because it suits them. If you don’t like the laws, change the law makers…

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Shadowjak said:

Noel Lyle-Stirling.

TT will try to get better. But your corrections are very much appreciated if it is factual legit law legislated for that and rather than a slip of legislation of rule.. TT is like the blind leading the blind unless have folk like you posting and updating. Thanks for the info. And no, I am  not a TT advocate or Moderator. Just a realist. 

• Like 2

Hi Shadowjak

Did you not read the article as the 2nd paragraph read:

Last week’s Full Moon Party was curtailed after initially getting the go-ahead from Koh Pha Ngan police. It eventually went ahead but in a vastly reduced ‘covid-era’ form and closed up by 11pm, usually the time the party gets started.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jason said:

Sure and you are the only one important person who the whole world should follow. Wow you really think you are the one who can pay them all. Sorry to tell you that you are not that important, or let me ask you why should it be more important what you want than the economy who bring the income? I guess you think you are the center of the earth?! Right?

7 hours ago, Soidog said:

Sorry but I’m not sure what it is you are supporting or have an issue with here? The Tiger is a news outlet. Surely people breaking the law and the approach of law enforcement to that law breaking is newsworthy?  They are not ratting these people out. They are reporting something which is in the public interest to know. You can’t make laws and then allow people to break them just because it suits them. If you don’t like the laws, change the law makers…

broad replies supporting Thai “law” at your online convenience is one of the many issues I have these type of forums 

Over the past two years I have seen first hand musicians turned into street food vendors, Bars turned into grab kitchens, Night clubs closed with massive repercussions for local industry huge drink, ice supplier, sound company  layoffs up to 90%, event company  closures, Djs turned chefs English teachers or streamers playing for free, people losing their homes, livelihoods, health insurance through lack of social security, court battles over salaries between people that were previously best of friends, unemployed that don’t know any better resorting to gambling and drugs, ladies of the night selling themselves online for a few dollars and a couple of suicides.  

And let’s not mention all the  small businesses here in all these industries ive mentioned That have largely closed or at least stopped Still paying all the monthly benefits, all the Social Security, all the taxes, all the staff, salaries without a hint of help from their home countries Because of their location that they can’t just get up and leave and without a hint of help From the government they are paying tax to here All because they are foreigners. 

How many Articles from your favorite paper who are simply honestly reporting the ‘news’ Have you seen addressing any of the above mentioned issues??(cough)

Not to mention the irony of Thaiger continually publishing anti nightlife articles despite at the same time accepting the same businesses money for advertising on their platform

My whole point is the whilst I appreciate your  convenient strict online adherence to every letter of the law In a country rotten to the core with corruption, What you see as people flagrantly violating laws Largely put in place In a flawed attempt two take advantage of an opportunity to reimagine the tourist industry here into some Family friendly rainbows and unicorns are actually mostly people desperate 

To work in or take advantage of any grey areas they can in order to survive And draw them selves and families back out of poverty.

Just because you sit there in your garden full of roses while you carry on about the letter of the law doesn’t mean there’s not people out there genuinely struggling and trying to find their way back into the only thing they know in an industry decimated by Covid

26 minutes ago, Anon10000 said:

broad replies supporting Thai “law” at your online convenience is one of the many issues I have these type of forums 

To be clear, my issue is with This publication and their anti-nightlife/hospitality sentiment. I’m a member of a pro Nightlife forum group in Thailand with over 5000 members And On more than one occasion Has this publication been mentioned with the reporters by name as proactively Targeting Nightlife/hospitality businesses with what seems like some kind of ongoing campaign.enough!

Over the past two years I have seen first hand musicians turned into street food vendors, Bars turned into grab kitchens, Night clubs closed with massive repercussions for local industry huge drink, ice supplier, sound company  layoffs up to 90%, event company  closures, Djs turned chefs English teachers or streamers playing for free, people losing their homes, livelihoods, health insurance through lack of social security, court battles over salaries between people that were previously best of friends, unemployed that don’t know any better resorting to gambling and drugs, ladies of the night selling themselves online for a few dollars and a couple of suicides.  

And let’s not mention all the  small businesses here in all these industries ive mentioned That have largely closed or at least stopped Still paying all the monthly benefits, all the Social Security, all the taxes, all the staff, salaries without a hint of help from their home countries Because of their location that they can’t just get up and leave and without a hint of help From the government they are paying tax to here All because they are foreigners. 

How many Articles from your favorite paper who are simply honestly reporting the ‘news’ Have you seen addressing any of the above mentioned issues??(cough)

Not to mention the irony of Thaiger continually publishing anti nightlife articles despite at the same time accepting the same businesses money for advertising on their platform

My whole point is the whilst I appreciate your  convenient strict online adherence to every letter of the law In a country rotten to the core with corruption, What you see as people flagrantly violating laws Largely put in place In a flawed attempt two take advantage of an opportunity to reimagine the tourist industry here into some Family friendly rainbows and unicorns are actually mostly people desperate 

To work in or take advantage of any grey areas they can in order to survive And draw them selves and families back out of poverty.

Just because you sit there in your garden full of roses while you carry on about the letter of the law doesn’t mean there’s not people out there genuinely struggling and trying to find their way back into the only thing they know in an industry decimated by Covid

I may be being overly sensitive, but I feel I’ve touched a nerve!

All fully understandable comments if you sit on the side of “Open up and let Covid-19 rip”. If however, you believe in containment in order to save lives, or one of the people or their family members of the nearly 5 million people worldwide who are dead, you may think these people trying to exploit grey areas (breaking the law) are wrong. Either way, I don’t see how a news outlet can be blamed for reporting something which is fact. This is the same news outlet that has criticised the Thai government for late procurement of vaccines, published issues with Sinovac and generally urged better vaccination plans. It has also promoted the various options for the opening of the country to tourism. 

You may feel that the reporting of nightlife is unbalanced. I have to say that your view of nightlife being allowed to open is equally unbalanced. There are also plenty of voices on this forum who support the relaxation of nightlife and have been given as much opportunity to voice those opinions as those against it. If you have detected that most people support better vaccination levels before reopening, that’s because most people do believe that. Not just on this forum but the wider Thai population. 

Im sorry, but your initial post was an unfair criticism and your reply to me was just a rant because your own industry has suffered. This is why pandemics are dangerous. They kill people and they kill livelihoods. This is why we all need to do our part to get this under control, get vaccinated and get in with all of our lives. What good will it do to open too early, kill many more people and have further curfews, closures and lockdowns? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

I may be being overly sensitive, but I feel I’ve touched a nerve!

All fully understandable comments if you sit on the side of “Open up and let Covid-19 rip”. If however, you believe in containment in order to save lives, or one of the people or their family members of the nearly 5 million people worldwide who are dead, you may think these people trying to exploit grey areas (breaking the law) are wrong. Either way, I don’t see how a news outlet can be blamed for reporting something which is fact. This is the same news outlet that has criticised the Thai government for late procurement of vaccines, published issues with Sinovac and generally urged better vaccination plans. It has also promoted the various options for the opening of the country to tourism. 

You may feel that the reporting of nightlife is unbalanced. I have to say that your view of nightlife being allowed to open is equally unbalanced. There are also plenty of voices on this forum who support the relaxation of nightlife and have been given as much opportunity to voice those opinions as those against it. If you have detected that most people support better vaccination levels before reopening, that’s because most people do believe that. Not just on this forum but the wider Thai population. 

Im sorry, but your initial post was an unfair criticism and your reply to me was just a rant because your own industry has suffered. This is why pandemics are dangerous. They kill people and they kill livelihoods. This is why we all need to do our part to get this under control, get vaccinated and get in with all of our lives. What good will it do to open too early, kill many more people and have further curfews, closures and lockdowns? 

Honestly I wish I could completely disagree with you but I don’t.

I am fully vaccinated with a booster and support further vaccinations as required.

I wear a mask everywhere I go wash my hands with alcohol at every opportunity and test for Covid once a week.

I don’t support ‘open up and let Covid rip’ I support a progressive controlled reopening as much as possible.. 

However There is a clear difference between neutral reporting from a news outlet versus biased Sarcastic click bait headlines from the news outlet you are supporting and the article we are discussing.

If you have any doubt please have a read again of the article that they have posted and tell me  whole heartedly it isn’t biased and one sided.(you can start with the cough in brackets in the headline)

Even your comments above pretty much say the same thing that you were firmly sitting on the side of the fence  as the outlet you are defending  that we should hide away and continue to look down at basically any economic cost Despite likely having no idea what will cover that cost. 

I mean you you mentioned open too early considering there are hundreds of tourism reliant businesses on the verge of bankruptcy And high season is basically upon us what’s too early? A lot of international hotel brands of made it clear with the government that if they can’t open this season they will shut down and leave

Unfortunately For you and this media outlet we are past this point Where there is even a negotiation or discussion about whether they should happen it’s actually going to happen whether anyone likes it or not the government has already made the decision So a lot of this discussion we’re having is actually null and void. It’s happening like it or not. This is my whole point is we Are past prevention And the grey areas we are discussing are a matter of weeks And definitions on business licenses nothing that will make any substantial headway Or protect anyone in any event. So why go there?? 

I don’t and will never support a reckless approach to reopening What I won’t support Is biased misinformed reckless articles Such as the one I originally criticized And still 100% do. 

And honestly I don’t mind this debate and having these discussions because you’ve already helped me in at least bringing it to the attention of Thaiger Through our conversation so the next time they’re going to write something like this they stop and think and that was my ultimate goal and you’ve help me achieve that. 

I can’t stop people writing this rubbish But no matter yours and my opinion At least they will stop and think the next time they ride something that does nothing but damages peoples livelihoods. 

12 minutes ago, Anon10000 said:

Honestly I wish I could completely disagree with you but I don’t.

I am fully vaccinated with a booster and support further vaccinations as required.

I wear a mask everywhere I go wash my hands with alcohol at every opportunity and test for Covid once a week.

I don’t support ‘open up and let Covid rip’ I support a progressive controlled reopening as much as possible.. 

However There is a clear difference between neutral reporting from a news outlet versus biased Sarcastic click bait headlines from the news outlet you are supporting and the article we are discussing.

If you have any doubt please have a read again of the article that they have posted and tell me  whole heartedly it isn’t biased and one sided.(you can start with the cough in brackets in the headline)

Even your comments above pretty much say the same thing that you were firmly sitting on the side of the fence  as the outlet you are defending  that we should hide away and continue to look down at basically any economic cost Despite likely having no idea what will cover that cost. 

I mean you you mentioned open too early considering there are hundreds of tourism reliant businesses on the verge of bankruptcy And high season is basically upon us what’s too early? A lot of international hotel brands of made it clear with the government that if they can’t open this season they will shut down and leave

Unfortunately For you and this media outlet we are past this point Where there is even a negotiation or discussion about whether they should happen it’s actually going to happen whether anyone likes it or not the government has already made the decision So a lot of this discussion we’re having is actually null and void. It’s happening like it or not. This is my whole point is we Are past prevention And the grey areas we are discussing are a matter of weeks And definitions on business licenses nothing that will make any substantial headway Or protect anyone in any event. So why go there?? 

I don’t and will never support a reckless approach to reopening What I won’t support Is biased misinformed reckless articles Such as the one I originally criticized And still 100% do. 

And honestly I don’t mind this debate and having these discussions because you’ve already helped me in at least bringing it to the attention of Thaiger Through our conversation so the next time they’re going to write something like this they stop and think and that was my ultimate goal and you’ve help me achieve that. 

I can’t stop people writing this rubbish But no matter yours and my opinion At least they will stop and think the next time they ride something that does nothing but damages peoples livelihoods. 

You make some fair points and perhaps I was deliberately making supporting points in order to balance what I thought was a little unfair attack. I also sensed from your initial response that you were one of these “let Covid rip” supporters, which you have now clarified. 

News outlets will deliberately post inflammatory headlines in order to grab attention. Someone famously said, “make the public angry enough and tomorrow’s headlines will write themselves”!

I further agree that the die is cast in regard to opening. The real issue of course is will this be too soon and will the virus ultimately win? If Thailand sees a massive surge in cases and deaths following reopening, then tourists will either choose to stay away or be made to stay away by their own governments. Ultimately none of us can get the better of nature. 

Time will tell if Thailand can open without significant increases in hospitalisations or deaths. It does however still feel too soon given the level of vaccinations. It’s shameful that Thailand has put itself in this situation. Vaccines have been available to purchase since the end of 2020 and yet they delayed and delayed. Had they acted sooner, then 85%+ of the population would be vaccinated and I would be calling for reopening as much as any bar owner would be. A soft or controlled reopening when it comes to nightlife is very difficult out to achieve. People get drunk, the music gets loud, people start shouting and spraying the virus around. I do think many of the outside bars which operate in Thailand will provide some level of support, as will the higher temperatures. 

Please don’t misunderstand me. I’m as keen as many to get life back to normal and get Thailand up and running and get my own life back on track. I would however hate to think my pressing could lead to someone else’s premature death.

Thanks for a good debate and I wish you luck for the high season and hope all of us can get this dreadful virus under control.  

• Like 2