News Forum - Over 100 customers, bar manager charged in Bangkok pub raid

Thaiger

A police raid on a Bangkok bar on Saturday night has resulted in 116 customers and a manager being charged with violating Covid-19 restrictions. According to a Bangkok Post report, the raid occurred at around 10.45pm, at the XOXO bar and restaurant in Korea Town, in the district of Klong Toey. 27 foreigners were among those charged. Bars are currently ordered shut as a result of the pandemic and venues with restaurant licences are prohibited from selling alcohol. Last week, PM Prayut Chan-o-cha said the ban could be lifted from December 1, as the country tries to rebuild its tourism […]

The story Over 100 customers, bar manager charged in Bangkok pub raid as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Almost November and could not wait!! Harsh times as businesses try to cope with no profits and now with fines. I feel bad for the Thai business owners that have provided such a Great Tourist sector and now have suffered such losses in the pandemic. BRING BACK TRAVEL !!!! 

If Thailand wants to re-open to tourists, this sort of thing has to stop. What tourist is going to come if they fear a threat by simply going out for a beer?

"The venue’s manager, named in the report as Sirichai Samnakhon, has been charged with selling alcohol."

By the way...

What was the name of the Manager of the Thong Lor bar(s) which set off Thailand's wave of Covid in April? And, who owned that bar or bars? And, who were the government officials there? And, who opened the LupiniPark boxing match last year? And, And, And, And...

If this case is being reported and the manager named, why not all of them?

Yes, we know the answer...

• Like 6
  • Cool 1

5 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

If Thailand wants to re-open to tourists, this sort of thing has to stop. What tourist is going to come if they fear a threat by simply going out for a beer?

"The venue’s manager, named in the report as Sirichai Samnakhon, has been charged with selling alcohol."

By the way...

What was the name of the Manager of the Thong Lor bar(s) which set off Thailand's wave of Covid in April? And, who owned that bar or bars? And, who were the government officials there? And, who opened the LupiniPark boxing match last year? And, And, And, And...

True but that is the way the country has always been run, for the debauched pleasure of the corrupt elite. They hate it of course when the normal folk start behaving like that as can been seen by all the hypocrites in government, and on these forums, denouncing them. Nothing will change until the system is swept away. 

Ummm.....the timing seems a bit off.  If Thailand is going to open up to vaccinated tourists November 1, why would they wait til December 1 to reopen the places tourists would most likely visit.  I scratch my head so much here...I'm losing hair.

• Like 1

Don't forget Prat only said bars 'COULD' open December 1 ! Nothing official yet and until what time.. they said restaurants can sell alcohol until 11pm in phuket from the 16th October but everywhere in patong had been told to close 10pm deadline last night

Edited by Malc-Thai
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shane said:

Almost November and could not wait!! Harsh times as businesses try to cope with no profits and now with fines. I feel bad for the Thai business owners that have provided such a Great Tourist sector and now have suffered such losses in the pandemic. BRING BACK TRAVEL !!!! 

No alcohol at venues is allowed to be sold. November doesn't mean anything. Speculation is they are trying to eliminate entertainment that the country was made from.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

No alcohol at venues is allowed to be sold. November doesn't mean anything. Speculation is they are trying to eliminate entertainment that the country was made from.

That's   correct. The lazy days at the bar will be history. Authorities realize that  bars bring  nothing but problems without  a positive contribution and only focus on a small  number of foreigners.

13 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

That's   correct. The lazy days at the bar will be history. Authorities realize that  bars bring  nothing but problems without  a positive contribution and only focus on a small  number of foreigners.

And where do  the locals drink then?

Shop restaurants beaches snooker halls

Yesterday in the pouring rain  my local shop in middle of nowhere was full of local farming chappies drinking to oblivion 

I had to struggle to get a seat ,and no i am not joking its our local village bar shop (snooker hall hidden in garage round the back)

I live in the sticks now but worked13 years in Bangkok there infinitely  more thai bars than farang ones

Edited by poohy
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, poohy said:

Yesterday in the pouring rain  my local shop in middle of nowhere was full of local farming chappies drinking to oblivion 

I had to struggle to get a seat ,and no i am not joking its our local village bar shop (snooker hall hidden in garage round the back)

I live in the sticks now but worked13 years in Bangkok there infinitely  more thai bars than farang ones

Thais tend to gather in other places and share a bottle with each other. I don't know of any bars but there might be some. There is considerable drinking but I stay out of it. It's a major health problem and I don't want to set a negative example. I do enjoy a  occasional beer or glass of wine on special occasions, but stay away from multiple toast and/drinking games. 

My brother in law died because of liver problems caused by drinking and was a wake-up call.

46 minutes ago, poohy said:

Many bars here in phuket that are mainly thais..if people don't think thais drink in bars as well as at a friend's house with a bbq then need to look around a bit more

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I don't know of any bars but there might be some.

Take It from me theres 1000s in bangkok alone and many in every town or village(most shops double up as bars with tables outside)

Obviously you are not a  drinker Whilst its unfortunate to hear about your relative it was probably lao cao it finishes people off certainly in the villages as its much cheaper than whisky beer

In a farming community It is normal to see both men and women taking a slug of lao cao or yah dong on way to work relieves the misery of work i suppose

• Like 2

Id like to see far more responsible distribution of liquor. It truly is an awful substance that adds nothing positive to society outside of taxation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

Reporter: How did police discover the bar's activities?

Police: Months of investigation by looking at YouTube videos.

Or you can just walk down Thonglor, you may see a bar open serving beer in paper cups.  Cheers

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rip255 said:

Id like to see far more responsible distribution of liquor. It truly is an awful substance that adds nothing positive to society outside of taxation.

I 100% agree on your liquor distribution ideals. It should be made available at all stores wirhout restriction. Currently it is so unfair it is not sold in pharmacies when clearly the medicinal values are so profound 

35 minutes ago, gummy said:

I 100% agree on your liquor distribution ideals. It should be made available at all stores wirhout restriction. Currently it is so unfair it is not sold in pharmacies when clearly the medicinal values are so profound 

But every shop has it for free now.. albeit for your hands !🤔

1 hour ago, poohy said:

Take It from me theres 1000s in bangkok alone and many in every town or village(most shops double up as bars with tables outside)

Obviously you are not a  drinker Whilst its unfortunate to hear about your relative it was probably lao cao it finishes people off certainly in the villages as its much cheaper than whisky beer

In a farming community It is normal to see both men and women taking a slug of lao cao or yah dong on way to work relieves the misery of work i suppose

Thanks, he wasn't into Lao Koa but that doesn't matter. I must not be noticing but I don't see it. I previously lived in Bangkok also and can't  remember local Thai bars. They did get together regularly at my Thai friends house, for booze and snacks. Likewise I would get together at someone's house, but not at a bar.

1 hour ago, gummy said:

Mothercare.

Deal with while they're young.

10 hours ago, whitesnake said:

This whole reopening thing is DOOMED to fail.... JUST WATCH THE INFECTION NUMBERS RISING AGAIN SHORTLY AFTER!! Idiots at the helm!!!!

And who do you think will get the blame Whitesnake ?.

16 hours ago, Rip255 said:

prohibition  what a great idea, I am sure it would work 😆  guess i would have to revert back to homebrew

21 hours ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

Reporter: How did police discover the bar's activities?

Police: Months of investigation by looking at YouTube videos.

Manager forgot to pay his "protection fees"

• Like 3

On 10/18/2021 at 3:13 AM, Shade_Wilder said:

By the way...

The answer is go to Phuket for a beer as the bars are open there, the police I am told by the expats who are using the bars are turning a blind eye. 

11 minutes ago, JamesR said:

The answer is go to Phuket for a beer as the bars are open there, the police I am told by the expats who are using the bars are turning a blind eye. 

No their getting paid off.