T20 Cricket World Cup

Smithydog

Bangladesh have smashed PNG, Scotland cruising to victory over Oman. Those two teams are going through from Group b.

All four group A teams still have a chance and those final games are tomorrow.

Ireland vs Namibia

Netherlands vs Sri Lanka 

I’d say Ireland and Sri Lanka, but anything can happen in these 20/20 games…

Well Group B has been settled with Scotland finishing first and Bangladesh joining them in the Super 12 groups. Solid all-round performance from Scotland saw them easily reach the restricted total of 122 earlier set by Oman with a couple of overs to spare.

In the second game, Papua New Guinea was no match for the ruthless display put on by the team from Bangladesh. Batting first, the set a formidable target of 181/7 on the back of some more solid team batting. Papua New Guinea were then reduced to 29/7 off the first 10 overs and only the Wicketkeeper Kiplin Doriga showed any resistance as they were bowled out for 97, ending their World Cup campaign

Tonight, Group A will be finalised as Namibia face off against Ireland and Sri Lanka plays the Netherlands. Mathematically, all 4 teams can still reach the next stage, however it would take an unbelievable effort from the Netherlands to qualify over the other 3. The Namibia vs Ireland match will probably be the most telling, final result wise.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

Tonight, Group A will be finalised as Namibia face off against Ireland and Sri Lanka plays the Netherlands. Mathematically, all 4 teams can still reach the next stage, however it would take an unbelievable effort from the Netherlands to qualify over the other 3. The Namibia vs Ireland match will probably be the most telling, final result wise.

Big game tonight for Ireland, but they should go through. Netherlands can’t finish 2nd because one of Ireland or Namibia has to get at least a point.

But they could spoil the party for Sri Lanka.

Definitely better for the team finishing second in this group because they avoid a tough group in the main draw. I wonder if Sri Lanka will have that in mind 🧐

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Andrew Reeve said:

Namibia won by 8 wickets and no big performance today.

Was hoping to see Ireland take on the big boys. Stirling and O’Brien always great to watch at the top of the order.

Credit to Namibia though. Some talent in their line-up 👍🏻🇳🇦

• Like 3

On 10/20/2021 at 8:58 PM, BigHewer said:

Just a question, but where is Zimbabwe? Are they banned or did they pull out? I always rated Brendan Taylor as a player.

I don't think they qualified. They're a bit like my homeland. Better at ODI than T20.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Was hoping to see Ireland take on the big boys. Stirling and O’Brien always great to watch at the top of the order.

Credit to Namibia though. Some talent in their line-up 👍🏻🇳🇦

Some of these games among the minows are entertaining in their own right. But then one of the beauties of cricket is next time sides meet it could be a totally different game altogether.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

Some of these games among the minows are entertaining in their own right. But then one of the beauties of cricket is next time sides meet it could be a totally different game altogether.

Agreed for sure. The unpredictability is part of the appeal of T20 too I think. It seems like the ICC are well aware of this. The ODI World Cup will keep its current format, while the T20 World Cup will keep expanding.

10 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

I don't think they qualified. They're a bit like my homeland. Better at ODI than T20.

It seems they were suspended, so Namibia edged Kenya and Nigeria in a very exotic-looking qualifying group:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_ICC_T20_World_Cup_Africa_Qualifier#Regional_Finals

• Like 1

With the conclusion of the T20 World Cup Group stage we can now see the final Super 12 groups as follows:

Group 1

England, Australia, South Africa, West Indies, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh

Group 2

India, Pakistan, New Zealand, Afghanistan, Namibia, Scotland

Sri Lanka smashed the Netherlands to top Group B. The Netherlands were bowled out for 44 and the Sri Lankan team took just 7 overs to reach the required total, losing 2 wickets along the way. The conditions were friendly to the Sri Lankan bowling attack, something they took full advantage of.

In the second match, Namibia continued their fine form to win over Ireland and secure second place on the ladder. A proud achievement for Namibia cricket and one to celebrate their sustained rise in the T20 cricketing world. Restricting Ireland to 125/8 of their 20 overs, Namibia reached the total required with 9 balls to spare and only losing 2 wickets along the way.

Tonight, it will be the opening games in the Super 12 Group 1 as Australia plays South Africa and it is England against the West Indies in the second game. My tips are in bold.

Your ultimate guide to the Super 12s can be found at https://www.t20worldcup.com/news/2301715

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

With the conclusion of the T20 World Cup Group stage we can now see the final Super 12 groups as follows:

Group 1

England, Australia, South Africa, West Indies, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh

Group 2

India, Pakistan, New Zealand, Afghanistan, Namibia, Scotland

Sri Lanka smashed the Netherlands to top Group B. The Netherlands were bowled out for 44 and the Sri Lankan team took just 7 overs to reach the required total, losing 2 wickets along the way. The conditions were friendly to the Sri Lankan bowling attack, something they took full advantage of.

In the second match, Namibia continued their fine form to win over Ireland and secure second place on the ladder. A proud achievement for Namibia cricket and one to celebrate their sustained rise in the T20 cricketing world. Restricting Ireland to 125/8 of their 20 overs, Namibia reached the total required with 9 balls to spare and only losing 2 wickets along the way.

Tonight, it will be the opening games in the Super 12 Group 1 as Australia plays South Africa and it is England against the West Indies in the second game. My tips are in bold.

Your ultimate guide to the Super 12s can be found at https://www.t20worldcup.com/news/2301715

Agreed. A strategic coin toss and both games could be close but I think England and OZ will come out on top marginally.

• Like 2

Great start for OZ. South Africa 3/39 from 7 overs. Still lots of batting in the shed.

David miller is the danger man for me. His wicket will carry a lot of importance.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Great start for OZ. South Africa 3/39 from 7 overs. Still lots of batting in the shed.

David miller is the danger man for me. His wicket will carry a lot of importance.

Shades of the 2007 World Cup. McGrath took Boucher out first ball to leave SA 5/27 in the semi final.
Fine moment.

The Aussies always seem to break SA hearts at global tournaments…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

Klassen gone. Now 46/4

Aye. Good start for my homeland but Starcky's been a tab pricey.

Just now, BigHewer said:

Shades of the 2007 World Cup. McGrath took Boucher out first ball to leave SA 5/27 in the semi final.
Fine moment.

The Aussies always seem to break SA hearts at global tournaments…

Yes! I actually feel for South Africa and the Kiwis. All others have won ODI trophies. Still though as a Aussie I'm not complaining.

• Haha 1

What worries me about this game is the pitch is very good for pace and if South Africa do post a reasonable score, their bowling has been excellent and will trouble the Aussies.

Agree that Miller is the key for SA now. But looks like Starc's bowling has been helpful to their cause. Took him 12 balls to get a yorker right!

• Like 2

SA 59/4 at the halfway mark. De Klok's wicket was just a silly shot at that time of the game. Irresponsible from such an experienced player.

Fielding has been excellent. Can they go on with it now and restrict SA.

• Like 1

GOOOTTTTHIIIIMMM SA now 82/6 in the 15th over. 2 wickets including Miller in that one over from Zampa.

And now a run out on the throw from Matthews to Wade. 87/3

• Like 1

SA set a target of 119 for Australia to chase to win after closing out at 118/9 off their 20 overs. Only Aiden Markram can hold his head high after that performance. Great bowling and fielding by the Aussies.

Now over the SA bowlers to see what they can extract from the pitch to restrict the Australian run chase.

• Like 2

Arrrrr. BB's Finchy out for a duck. I don't care which team it is but when the skipper is out without scoring......it hurts.

13 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

Both Finch and Warner fail again! Gives SA hope.

They are bowling really well. It sup to the middle order.