T20 Cricket World Cup

Smithydog

Here we go folks. The big one!

T20 World Cup Final: Australia vs New Zealand 

NZ 0-23 after 3 overs. Kiwis look in the mood. Who’s going to win?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

They're both nursing heavy defeats from England and Ireland at the Rugby yesterday. 😁

20 overs cricket? Pah!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

1-37 after 7 overs. Danger man Daryl Mitchell out but anything can happen. But what one side does the other can also do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

1-37 after 7 overs. Danger man Daryl Mitchell out but anything can happen. But what one side does the other can also do.

I think the Australia will pull it off.

That’s possibly bad news for Aussie fans because I have a pretty ordinary tipping record this tournament.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

That’s possibly bad news for Aussie fans because I have a pretty ordinary tipping record this tournament.

I'm optimistic as Guptil just got caught out but still an open game.

51 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Kane Williamson out for 85 (48 deliveries). He really is top class this fella. I rate him in the same group as Virat Kohli and Ben Stokes. Great players to watch. Even for the opposition.

• Like 1

Just now, BigHewer said:

Innings break. Kiwis posted the highest ever T20 Final innings. Williamson immense. Starc 0/60 off his four overs.

172 is  more than just defendable. A few early wickets and I'll be getting some good natured abuse from my Kiwi wates for sure.

• Haha 1

Hazelwood’s drop was very costly. But can’t understand why the Aussies persisted with Starc. He was bowling cannon fodder!
Great fight back by the Kiwis. I must admit that even as much I would like the Aussies to win, I won’t be too disappointed in them going down to the Kiwis. Such a good team and so well lead by Williamson. They also play the game in the right spirit. Hard not to like them!

I rank Williamson as one of the best captains and such a fine batsman as he showed tonight.

• Like 2

And there it is…..the winners are Australia!

Great batting effort against the never give up attitude of the Kiwis.

World T20 Champions 2021 - Australia 🇦🇺 😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Smithydog said:

And now for the Ashes

6 hours ago, Smithydog said:

Well done Aussies. I thought Williamson might have taken the game away, but full credit to Warner and Marsh.

As is customary in this tournament, I fell asleep halfway through the chase, but a very entertaining game for the first 30 overs 😂🏏

The NZ wait for a trophy goes on…

• Like 2

The Kiwis were well contained and Guptill was unusually quiet. It was the drop of Williamson by Hazelwood that reignited the  game and it took off after the 10 over mark. That drop was costly and Starc bowled some absolute shockers. Just couldn't find any consistent length. I do wonder why Finch was persisting with him. To me that was a bad decision.

But there has been a noticeable more aggressive tone in the Aussie batting since the England game and as one Commentator said, more a fearless style similar to the that adopted by the Poms. It seems to work.

Batting second in Dubai was again a winner but based on their firepower, do think the Aussies would have set a higher target than the Kiwis did if they had batted first. So much more depth in the hitting prowess from 1-7 for Australia. 

Congratulations for Australia for their first win in the T20 format. The beauty is we only have 12 months to wait for another edition of the championship, next time in Australia, to catch up the delayed championship during Covid-19.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

Well done Aussies. I thought Williamson might have taken the game away, but full credit to Warner and Marsh.

As is customary in this tournament, I fell asleep halfway through the chase, but a very entertaining game for the first 30 overs 😂🏏

The NZ wait for a trophy goes on…

Kinda feel sorry for New Zealand. They as well as South Africa consistently perform well on the big stage but consistently fail to win the shiny metallic prizes after the last delivery is bowled.

Still though proud day for the homeland. I thought that England and India were the favourites when the world cup started. Now for the Ashes.

• Like 2

Now with the competition ended and Australia crowned as Champions for 2021, attention now turns to the Ashes test series between Australia and England, starting in just a few weeks. Head on over to the following thread to discuss that:

https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/8340-the-ashes-202122/

Thank you to all the members contributing to this thread. In 12 months we can do it all again as the catch up is played in Australia.

I will now close the thread to further postings.

image.jpeg.3238b357681d6518b2732f4755c231be.jpeg

• Like 1