News Forum - Krabi tourism businesses not thrilled about Thailand’s reopening

Thaiger

On 10/16/2021 at 1:16 PM, Thaiger said:

A prominent local tourism operator in Krabi is speaking out, saying the tourism businesses in Krabi don’t like or want the reopening Thailand has planned for November 1. He asserts that interest from tourists, businesses that can afford to reopen, and vaccinations among locals are all lacking. The operator said that despite the government’s rosy predictions, he fears that not as many international travellers will be flocking to Thailand in its current state. With bars and activities banned, along with many small businesses closed either temporarily or permanently, there’s not much to attract tourists in any meaningful numbers to Krabi. […]

The story Krabi tourism businesses not thrilled about Thailand’s reopening as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

So people should go to Phuket instead where many things are open.

I was just swapping messages with a bloke I know who has been running his holiday home business for the last twenty five years and he said he does his usual one night a week out at a bar and said there are lots of them open and no police.

The beaches are all open and the big shops and restaurants so it sounds much better than Krabi at the moment. 

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

“No I’m sorry I don’t speak English” 

Because that is the only English most of them can speak except for of course ''200 hundred baht'' for example, that is why they are taxi drivers.

But when negotiation the price and stating my destination and telling the driver it is not far, I do that in Thai so he does not think I am a "I have just got off the plane tourist" and thus not charge me too much.

😂😂. Yes I had an interesting experience about 3 years ago going from Suvarnabhumi in to town. I got in the taxi and the driver tried to explain in broken English how he was a “special taxi” and could give me a special price. So I played the dumb tourist and pretended I didn’t know what was going on. He then called “His boss” and passed the phone to me! The guy on the phone explained in good English that I was using a special hotel taxi, and for only 700 baht he would take me to the hotel using the “special express way”. I listened for about a minute and then said to the driver in Thai that I wasn’t a tourist and on business. If he didn’t put the meter on he could drop me off at the nearest police station and we could explain the problem. The guy on the phone could overhear this and when I tried to speak to him he had gone. Nothing further was said and meter was on. Total fare was 325 baht plus toll of 125 I think. So a total of 450. I made sure I just paid the 450 and left it at that. In that regard Thailand is not different to many developing or 3rd world countries. The thing that really annoys me is that I’m normal reasonable with taxi tips. These guys work long hours, often away from family and handing them an extra 100-200 baht won’t break my bank.

A little of the local lingo goes a long way! 

42 minutes ago, Soidog said:

😂😂. Yes I had an interesting experience about 3 years ago going from Suvarnabhumi in to town. I got in the taxi and the driver tried to explain in broken English how he was a “special taxi” and could give me a special price. So I played the dumb tourist and pretended I didn’t know what was going on. He then called “His boss” and passed the phone to me! The guy on the phone explained in good English that I was using a special hotel taxi, and for only 700 baht he would take me to the hotel using the “special express way”. I listened for about a minute and then said to the driver in Thai that I wasn’t a tourist and on business. If he didn’t put the meter on he could drop me off at the nearest police station and we could explain the problem. The guy on the phone could overhear this and when I tried to speak to him he had gone. Nothing further was said and meter was on. Total fare was 325 baht plus toll of 125 I think. So a total of 450. I made sure I just paid the 450 and left it at that. In that regard Thailand is not different to many developing or 3rd world countries. The thing that really annoys me is that I’m normal reasonable with taxi tips. These guys work long hours, often away from family and handing them an extra 100-200 baht won’t break my bank.

A little of the local lingo goes a long way! 

I like your story.

I have had similar things in similar situations, and I say in Thai I don't want to pay farang price I want the Thai price and they normally laugh and I get the Thai price. 

The only time nowadays I get a taxi in Thailand is from Phuket airport to Kathy, Kathu, the price is fixed and on a board displayed at the taxi desk I think it is about 700 baht for the 35 min drive, you pay and take a receipt and the taxi come across and picks you up.

I normally give 100 baht tip.

I then drive my own car for day to day errands which is great fun on Thai roads. 

But in the old days you had to haggle and on the way do not be surprised if you stop off at a hotel booking agency who will try and sell you a hotel even if you already have one.

Also in the old days taxi drivers would ask you if you want to go and see some sexy ladies in a club etc as they got a commision, funny.

57 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Also in the old days taxi drivers would ask you if you want to go and see some sexy ladies in a club etc as they got a commision, funny.

Yes I’ve had some strange offers not just in Thailand. I was working in Mumbai and after getting in the taxi I was asked would I like to go to see a temple! Just what I needed after an 8 hour flight and on the go for 16 hours. All I needed was a shower and a hotel bar 😂😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Yes I’ve had some strange offers not just in Thailand. I was working in Mumbai and after getting in the taxi I was asked would I like to go to see a temple! Just what I needed after an 8 hour flight and on the go for 16 hours. All I needed was a shower and a hotel bar 😂😂

I was in the then called Madras on a long holiday, every taxi I got in I was asked, "You want young girl, you want young girl".

After I had said no lots of times, they would say something like,  "Come on, girl very nice girl, very young".

I was usually annoyed at that stage and so I would say, "I have changed my mind, take me to the police station", "Ok we go where you want now".

2 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I was in the then called Madras on a long holiday, every taxi I got in I was asked, "You want young girl, you want young girl".

After I had said no lots of times, they would say something like,  "Come on, girl very nice girl, very young".

I was usually annoyed at that stage and so I would say, "I have changed my mind, take me to the police station", "Ok we go where you want now".

😂😂.  Getting way off topic so just one more then I will behave!

A few years back I was in a hurry, stressed and needed to get to the bank in order to sort out a problem and then get back to my hotel to join a conference call for work all inside of an hour. I got on my motorbike only to find I was very very low on fuel. No problem, I can fill up on the way in a run down petrol station I knew. It was about 08:30 in the morning and I wondered if it was open. Fortunately it was, and some old boy came out of his hut to serve me. As he’s putting in 100 baht of fuel, a very young girl of perhaps 16/17 walked from behind the hut. The old fell noticed I had seen her and asked “You want girl”!  I was so shocked and surprised and wound up by being late, I think I said FFS no!  Just the fuel. TIT 😂😂

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, JamesR said:

That happened to me my 1st time in Phnom Penh(2004 I think)

Every time I jumped on a MB taxi they were pushing "young girls"

A couple times after they kept insisting I told them to fcuk off

I was back in 2019 and did not get asked once, so that is progress.............

• Like 2