News Forum - Family attempts to sell eyes and kidneys to save home and farm

Thaiger

After signing as a guarantor for a lifelong friend’s tractor purchase who defaulted, a man and his family in Ubon Ratchathani are trying to sell their eyes and kidneys to save his home and farm. The man, along with his wife and 2 sons, is currently walking 100 kilometres in the rain from their home to the provincial capital where PM Prayut Chan-o-cha will visit tomorrow to plead for relief. The family had placed 2 vinyl signs in front of their home advertising their eyes and kidneys, or any other organs, for sale from all 4 family members if it […]

The story Family attempts to sell eyes and kidneys to save home and farm as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

So this happened  before covid 19, and the friend who they trusted faulted on the loan?  It's the friend whos the bad guy, not the PM.  What do they expect?  The PM to make the friend pay?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yetanother said:

horrid news; 

this signifies that it isnt just the 'disenfranchised' and 'poor' that are taking the big hits from covid, but , rather, the middle class is starting to slide down;

always bad when the middle class is shrinking

The loan was defaulted on in 2016, FFS, five years ago.

WTF has it got to do with Covid? 😢

funny they did not say anything about their daughters because i am pretty sure i know them and they told me i helped pay most of this off last year.   

• Haha 4

never loan your friend's wife money.  OR ANYONE.  duh.  I've loaned money out a few times in my life...never got paid back.  But certainly not 900k baht.

Edited by kmc
edit
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, kmc said:

never loan your friend's wife money.  OR ANYONE.  duh.  I've loaned money out a few times in my life...never got paid back.  But certainly not 900k baht.

2 hours ago, Lifeboat said:

So this happened  before covid 19, and the friend who they trusted faulted on the loan?  It's the friend whos the bad guy, not the PM.  What do they expect?  The PM to make the friend pay?

Exactly.

He guaranteed the loan for his friend's wife, while his friend didn't,  the friend's wife then defaulted on the loan, she was ordered by a court to return the tractor but didn't so effectively stole it, and now he wants some sympathy.

I doubt he'll get much and I'm not sure why he should.

• Like 3

I feel bad questioning but is this real or an attention grab? I too once contemplated selling my kidney for money, you have 2 and can live with 1, but never my eyes. Although, from what I remember reading one time, it's not legal to sell your kidney for money in Thailand, but I never looked into it.

Also later on I realized how important having 2 kidneys is and selling one is probably a bad idea, I was rejected to donate one due to past surgeries and I think it was just my luck because chances are I'll need 2 down the road. Unless one is expecting a short life expectancy, donating/selling a kidney probably will be bad news in the long term future.

In terms of 900k baht, although I realize it's Thailand, I can think of a number of ways to make that much without having to resort to selling ones organs. Just look at the price markups on imports on Shopee, I thought about selling some stuff on Shopee to make some side cash, saw a product that was easily a 100% markup + in demand, but I don't need the money right now. I may try it just to experience the process of buy/selling online in Thailand, I did it as a side business in Canada and it was quite easy with amazon/kijiji.

Edited by dj230

3 hours ago, Lifeboat said:

I don’t think the PM can be expected to pay. What he and his cabinet can do is dig in to their piles of foreign reserves and provide some decent financial support. This is not a poor country and it has plenty of financial reserve. I read a figure of $200 Billion in foreign reserves. That’s enough to provide $4,000 per person for everyone over the age of 16. I’m not suggesting it is used like that, but the meagre amounts handed out thus far are pathetic. $4,000 could provide the same people with $333 a month for a year. You wouldn’t need to spend anything like that amount to help people keep businesses running and put food on the table.  This is the time to spend some of the people’s money on the people. God only knows they spend enough of the people’s money on themselves most of the time. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Thaiger said:

After signing as a guarantor for a lifelong friend’s tractor purchase who defaulted, a man and his family in Ubon Ratchathani are trying to sell their eyes and kidneys to save his home and farm. The man, along with his wife and 2 sons, is currently walking 100 kilometres in the rain from their home to the provincial capital where PM Prayut Chan-o-cha will visit tomorrow to plead for relief. The family had placed 2 vinyl signs in front of their home advertising their eyes and kidneys, or any other organs, for sale from all 4 family members if it […]

The story Family attempts to sell eyes and kidneys to save home and farm as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It's a sad case, but honestly I do not believe in this sob story.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kmc said:

i agree on it, only thing that can happen is you lose friends, have it all the time in your mind etc. i did loan once 12000 baht to my ex wife friend and i must say she was very good in paying back, she even send an extra 300 baht and when she could not pay for a month she phoned us, i know this is very rare unfortunately

• Like 1

Common thing in Thailand. Thais will 'influence' uneducated farmers to use their land to guarantee a loan, and then they walk away and the farmer loses their land - usually ends up leasing it back ion a cheap rental deal over decades.  The banks want this, so that they can add the over-inflated value of the land when they re-posses it to their books. The banks rarely go after the original person and their assets - much easier and cheaper to foreclose on the ignorant Thai farmer and take their land to shore up their bad business practices (after taking massive profits and salary payments).  As always in Thailand, the real cause of most of the problems in the country are the wealthy elite. Same thing was happening in China and was why Mao succeeded - hope that doesn't (need to) happen in Thailand. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Common thing in Thailand. Thais will 'influence' uneducated farmers to use their land to guarantee a loan, and then they walk away and the farmer loses their land - usually ends up leasing it back ion a cheap rental deal over decades.  The banks want this, so that they can add the over-inflated value of the land when they re-posses it to their books. The banks rarely go after the original person and their assets - much easier and cheaper to foreclose on the ignorant Thai farmer and take their land to shore up their bad business practices (after taking massive profits and salary payments).  As always in Thailand, the real cause of most of the problems in the country are the wealthy elite. Same thing was happening in China and was why Mao succeeded - hope that doesn't (need to) happen in Thailand. 

This was always going to be a K-shaped recovery. The rich will get richer and the poor can sell their body parts on the cheap to pay their debts to the rich people

• Like 2

The man who cosigner for "his friend's wife" to buy a tractor, I believe is using media attention fraudulently to get people to donate money.  

This man, who works as a radio DJ, is undoubtedly very knowledgeable about how to gain public sympathy. And maybe a few placed calls to initiate media stories.

As such,  he thought of the idea to give the public gross thoughts of surgeons cutting out his children's eyes and kidneys to sell.  

And then he got his family in on the scheme to carry signs advertising the entire family's body parts for sale. 

No person on earth with a decent heart will ever allow a surgeon to cut out the organs of their children while they are living to make up for a stupid mistake of cosign for a friend's spouse to buy something and put up your entire fortune as collateral. 

I know this is a fraud and media attention and this idiot trickster man should suffer the legal consequences. 

Carrying a sign... offering to sell your live children's eyes... 

Really???? 

He is a lying fraud.

Eyes cannot be easily transplanted as whole in usually cases. The most useful part would be cornea. Other organs cannot be easily matched to appropriate patients for transplant either. Headline grabber. 

7 hours ago, dj230 said:

I feel bad questioning but is this real or an attention grab? I too once contemplated selling my kidney for money, you have 2 and can live with 1, but never my eyes. Although, from what I remember reading one time, it's not legal to sell your kidney for money in Thailand, but I never looked into it.

Also later on I realized how important having 2 kidneys is and selling one is probably a bad idea, I was rejected to donate one due to past surgeries and I think it was just my luck because chances are I'll need 2 down the road. Unless one is expecting a short life expectancy, donating/selling a kidney probably will be bad news in the long term future.

In terms of 900k baht, although I realize it's Thailand, I can think of a number of ways to make that much without having to resort to selling ones organs. Just look at the price markups on imports on Shopee, I thought about selling some stuff on Shopee to make some side cash, saw a product that was easily a 100% markup + in demand, but I don't need the money right now. I may try it just to experience the process of buy/selling online in Thailand, I did it as a side business in Canada and it was quite easy with amazon/kijiji.

Selling  your organs, any organs, is illegal in Thailand.

It's an attention grab, nothing else.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Soidog said:

I don’t think the PM can be expected to pay. What he and his cabinet can do is dig in to their piles of foreign reserves and provide some decent financial support. This is not a poor country and it has plenty of financial reserve. I read a figure of $200 Billion in foreign reserves. That’s enough to provide $4,000 per person for everyone over the age of 16. I’m not suggesting it is used like that, but the meagre amounts handed out thus far are pathetic. $4,000 could provide the same people with $333 a month for a year. You wouldn’t need to spend anything like that amount to help people keep businesses running and put food on the table.  This is the time to spend some of the people’s money on the people. God only knows they spend enough of the people’s money on themselves most of the time. 

Agreed, but not at that sort of level ($333 / B 10,000+ per month) which is totally unnecessary, but THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT.

They guaranteed a loan for a tractor. The loan wasn't paid back, and the tractor wasn't given back. End of.

11 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The family had placed 2 vinyl signs in front of their home advertising their eyes and kidneys, or any other organs, for sale from all 4 family members if it

Could they provide some photos and a price list ?

I have a friend who needs a hip replacement 

• Haha 2