News Forum - PM Prayut Chan-o-cha’s televised address, translated in English

Thaiger

The following is PM Prayut Chan-o-cha’s televised address to the nation, translated by the Thai government’s public relations department.  My fellow citizens, brothers, and sisters: In the last one-and-half years, we have lived with some of the greatest peacetime challenges our country has ever faced in its history, brought about by the Covid-19 pandemic, and one that has left nobody untouched and no country in the world undamaged. It has been one of the most painful experiences in my life, too: to make decisions that balance the saving of lives with the saving of livelihoods – a choice that is […]

The story PM Prayut Chan-o-cha’s televised address, translated in English as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"The time has come for us to ready ourselves to face the coronavirus and live with it as with other endemic infections and diseases," Failing to mention that in all the previous incidents it was the virus that decided when it was time for us to live with it.

Vaccines help. Masks help. Social distancing helps. But what doesn't help is lots of people crunched together on airplanes. The PM is stuck between a rock and a hard place, but if this face-saving move to meet the 120-day goal goes pear-shaped he's going to have much bigger problems than empty hotel rooms. I'm hoping that travelers do come, but at a trickle initially to give everybody a chance to get their feet back on the ground. Fortunately, the "no wine with dinner" mantra should help that happen.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Convert54 said:

Interesting that Australia and New Zealand remain "suspect".

Would be no point at the moment, until the 2 week hotel quarentine changes I am assumming no one from Oz would be a short term visitor to Th  and of course NZ you can't even book a quarentine spot to returm atm 

• Like 1

Just a load of anodyne words and virtue signalling. As usual he has left the future months' freeing of restrictions as vague as possible so he cannot be held accountable when things go wrong or are simply not relaxed. He is the most ill equipped person for the reconstruction of this country because he only knows how to control, to rule by dictat and intimidation. He has not one grain of constructive intelligence and no understanding of how badly decimated are millions of small businesses. The fairyland future that he hints at is just that, the childlike dreams of totally naive military minds allied to the interests of mega conglomerates. Millions of Thai can find no hope in his vague storytelling.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

I know this decision comes with some risk. It is almost certain that we will see a temporary rise in serious cases as we relax these restrictions.

I'm trying to follow the thinking on this.
If only fully vaccinated 'dirty ferangs' (to use an A-nut-in phrase) are allowed in, and require two PCR tests before being set loose, how is it 'almost certain' there will be a rise?

Being cynical, could it be 'close interaction' between locals and ferangs which could spread it from unvaccinated local to ferang, then on again?

• Like 1

"we must act quickly but still cautiously, and not miss the opportunity to entice some of the year-end and New Year holiday season travelers during the next few months to support the many millions of people who earn a living from our tourism, travel, and entertainment sectors"

Edited by Faz
unrelated video to the topic removed
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

"we must act quickly but still cautiously, and not miss the opportunity to entice some of the year-end and New Year holiday season travelers during the next few months to support the many millions of people who earn a living from our tourism, travel, and entertainment sectors"

I like your use of bold to show how our illustrious leader's mind works.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Very good speech which explained the saving lives versus saving businesses very well.

Of course members here will criticize because that is all they know how to do. It is their default position.

I like how the problem wasnt politicised like in most western countries and the Thais came together the way the did which resulted in people not refusing to wear masks, get vaccinated etc. Hardly any of that nonsense seen here and it undoubtedly saved thousands of lives.

Well done Thailand.

I wish them all the best. It has been a very tough 2 years for them.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

I like your use of bold to show how our illustrious leader's mind works.

It is just a not perfect translation. Nothing more, prayut didn't write the English version.

Come on mate, you are better than that.

3 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

It is just a not perfect translation. Nothing more, prayut didn't write the English version.

Come on mate, you are better than that.

I'm not going to give any respect to someone who took over the country in a coup, then changed the constitution and rigged an election to try and claim legitimacy that way.

Someone who can do the above is  only genuinely concerned about himself.
I'll continue to take the p!ss out of him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Seems like they're set on opening Pandora's box.

With vaccination levels (even if you believe that they are correct) well below 50%, and of those a large number with only Sinovac (which is virtually ineffective against the delta strain), it'll end in tears.

Movement creates havoc, as Songkran showed.

BTW: More festive openings planned with 2 new field hospitals in Khon Kaen 🎉 Must be for fun, as everything is under control right?

And a large part of Muang Mai remains closed for an extended 14 days due to large numbers of infections. Hospitals are full since a couple of days too.

And the vaccine supply grew again and is now quoted as 170m. Strange that the locals can virtually not get any here in CM for months... You'd think they could spare a few.

But never mind, Bangkok is vaccinated and apparently they don't look any further, but just assume the rest of the country is the same.

Out of touch, delusional, incompetent.

• Like 5
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, Convert54 said:

Interesting that Australia and New Zealand remain "suspect".

...and quite a few more countries, from the Thais perspective.

The aftermath of his briefing last evening appears to be leaving some circles rather perturbed and distraught as they didn't make the first cut of the special list. All of which will probably be modified to include more in the coming months - as will changes regarding the confounded regulations of the "new" opening. Per usual, they have yet to work out all the kinks and whatnot.

2 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

is it available on DVD?

I think you have to buy the whole Box Set. It includes all his previous evenings lectures along with a karaoke version of the songs he composed. Now on sale for only ฿9,999

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Rain said:

That is, unless one hasn't spent too much time around Thai women. 😉

Thai women between each other yeah, but if you speak to much to them they get tired lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JED1 said:

I wonder what visitors are supposed to do while they wait for the results of their RT-PCR tests?

Stay in your hotel room until you get a negative result.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I think you have to buy the whole Box Set. It includes all his previous evenings lectures along with a karaoke version of the songs he composed. Now on sale for only ฿9,999

It's of no value if one doesn't understand the language, as so many don't. 😇

1 minute ago, Rain said:

It's of no value if one doesn't understand the language, as so many don't. 😇

Just subtitle it! Can't be much difference in either language 🤭

Bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

I'm not going to give any respect to someone who took over the country in a coup, then changed the constitution and rigged an election to try and claim legitimacy that way.

Someone who can do the above is  only genuinely concerned about himself.
I'll continue to take the p!ss out of him.

Sure, heap it on him for that. He deserves it 

I thought you are a Thai speaker so thought it odd you would criticize what is just a  less than perfect translation. It comes across as petty and pandantic IMO.