News Forum - Tropical storms Lionrock and Kompasu expected to bring extra rain to Thailand

Thaiger

It is a pity that the file size is limited to 4.88MB as I have a video (5.1MB) taken at 13:30 Sat 9 of the floodwaters at the southern edge of Khon Kaen city on Mittraphap Road ( Highway 2/Friendship highway). This water has dropped about 100mm since about the same time on Friday 8. With the incoming tropical storms "Lionrock" & "Kompasu" due to hit on Mon 11 anything is likely with these floods

Edited by Russell

On 10/8/2021 at 5:48 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Had a wicked lightening and Thunder cell roll through my side of Sathorn just a few ago.  Dropped a load of rain and shook the windows after each lightening strike reverberated with its Thunder.  Thought Zeuss was dropping lightening bolts on the Condo.

Or Thor …🙂

• Haha 2

Today I went back to the same spot that I went to yesterday on Mittraphap Road and the water level has dropped about another 100mm but unfortunately that is not enough of a drop before "Lionrock" hits and looking at the Khon Kaen weather radar the rain is going to arrive before daybreak tomorrow. I looked at the Thai Meteorological Department website and then their satelitte images and it clealy shows "Lionrock" and "Kompasu" but if you look further out into the South China Sea there is another larger depression heading this way. At the moment the weather reports for Khon Kaen for the next 7 days are thunder showers list every day with tonight 30%, tomorrow, 70%, Tues 40%, Wed 60%, Thurs 70%, Fri 70% and Sat 60%. I could not find any report on the depression that is following after "Kompasu".

https://www.tmd.go.th/en/province.php?id=18

https://weather.tmd.go.th/kknLoop.php

Just now, Russell said:

Today I went back to the same spot that I went to yesterday on Mittraphap Road and the water level has dropped about another 100mm but unfortunately that is not enough of a drop before "Lionrock" hits and looking at the Khon Kaen weather radar the rain is going to arrive before daybreak tomorrow. I looked at the Thai Meteorological Department website and then their satelitte images and it clealy shows "Lionrock" and "Kompasu" but if you look further out into the South China Sea there is another larger depression heading this way. At the moment the weather reports for Khon Kaen for the next 7 days are thunder showers list every day with tonight 30%, tomorrow, 70%, Tues 40%, Wed 60%, Thurs 70%, Fri 70% and Sat 60%. I could not find any report on the depression that is following after "Kompasu".

https://www.tmd.go.th/en/province.php?id=18

https://weather.tmd.go.th/kknLoop.php

60km NNE of Udon , rain started around 6 pm still raining quite hard

On 10/8/2021 at 10:41 PM, gummy said:

So these buffoons are still in office to demonstrate that their levels of stupidity have not diminished in 10 years.

Must be something in the diet and water that is exclusive to the Thai ruling class.

4 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Nongbualamphu, temperature has dropped & getting quite windy.

Must stay off the Baked Beans...

Rain eased off  for us up here now  and as we are only around 80/90 or so  km away surprised it has not reached you yet.  Maybe those beans are causing a high pressure to push it away

45 minutes ago, gummy said:

Yeah. This latest one appears to be moving inland and only covering most of Isaan and Southern Laos.

Just a little bit of rainfall for us today in the north-central.......unlike the last couple of typhoon associated events of weeks past - rained steady for a week.

On 10/8/2021 at 7:56 PM, mickkotlarski said:

I was in Chonburi during the 2011 floods as my lower floor of my house was submerged. I met a barge captain who was lined up to push the water out of the Chao Praya river but was cancelled and he returned to Singapore.

All these exotic methods could have all been avoided if a flood way plan made by the late king was actually implemented rather than creating man made pools surrounded by over crowded districts. I just hope that the dams up north have discharged enough water already. 

I would think that under instruction from BKK they have only released the minimum of excess from current weather. If this latest weather brings a massive deluge it will probably  be inevitable that greater flooding  of many places will eventually impact Bangkok once again. If the arrival of that water coincided with a King tide it would not be a pleasant outcome !

10 minutes ago, Convert54 said:

I would think that under instruction from BKK they have only released the minimum of excess from current weather. If this latest weather brings a massive deluge it will probably  be inevitable that greater flooding  of many places will eventually impact Bangkok once again. If the arrival of that water coincided with a King tide it would not be a pleasant outcome !

Quite worrying to say the least. Although reports state that the water level is 1.9m below the flood line but there is a lot of water in the ChaoPraya with a few weeks of precipitation on its way  I can see many districts affected. Of course the tide is another can of worms timing will be critcal. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

Quite worrying to say the least. Although reports state that the water level is 1.9m below the flood line but there is a lot of water in the ChaoPraya with a few weeks of precipitation on its way  I can see many districts affected. Of course the tide is another can of worms timing will be critcal. 

Every year? 

What?

9 hours ago, gummy said:

Rain eased off  for us up here now  and as we are only around 80/90 or so  km away surprised it has not reached you yet.  Maybe those beans are causing a high pressure to push it away

Rained here (Loei) most of the night from just before two, low mist this morning, and rain or thunder-storms due every day for the next two weeks. Last month wasn't the wettest I've known here, but the most storms for sure.

Not good news for some, particularly would-be tourists - although that's good news for some 😅

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Rained here (Loei) most of the night from just before two, low mist this morning, and rain or thunder-storms due every day for the next two weeks. Last month wasn't the wettest I've known here, but the most storms for sure.

Not good news for some, particularly would-be tourists - although that's good news for some 😅

And who said canoeing holidays wouldn't become popular in Thailand ?

13 minutes ago, Stonker said:

More heavy rain here this morning - 

...and when our good neighbors to the north of Loei, Nan, and Phrae Provinces receive their share, it effects us and others downstream. 

Were 200 meters from the Yom in Srisamrong where the river is at it's widest point in Sukhothai. Yet, our particular area didn't go over [during these last flooding periods] like the rest of the province did. 

Been a weird and terribly wet late season. 

Looking at the Chao Phrya River near the Saphan Thaksin BTS exit across the river this morning, showed it was full of debris which has been washed down from the above areas and the river looks quite full. No rain yet in BKK this morning but the clouds are starting to roll in from the north.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, gummy said:

No more more rain since 9:30 pm yesterday. Just cloudy . Typical of how its been for us all year and last. Our ponds are still down on 3/5 years ago at this time of the year. Was hoping for 40 days and 40 nights of biblical proportions. Wait till I meet the wife's fortune teller again, build an ark my arse, waste of time that was.

8 hours ago, gummy said:

No more more rain since 9:30 pm yesterday. Just cloudy . Typical of how its been for us all year and last. Our ponds are still down on 3/5 years ago at this time of the year. Was hoping for 40 days and 40 nights of biblical proportions. Wait till I meet the wife's fortune teller again, build an ark my arse, waste of time that was.

Yes, more storms but not more rain, as @Rain suggested, so more flash floods if you're in the wrong place but not more water.

Fortunately we live on Mt Ararat so flooding isn't a worry, but it's played hell with my cycling!

• Haha 1

Well so much for "Lionrock" we didn't get one drop of rain in Khon Kaen. On the radar last night it covered the whole of the north east from the Laos border down to Udon Thani and across to Mudkahan but that greedy gummy kept all the water for himself. To be honest thou it is good because now the floods that came from Chiayaphum have a chance to move on and the people on the southern outskirts of Khon Kaen will be able to return to their homes until the next big one hits. Take care and keep safe everyone and stop hogging the water gummy

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Russell said:

Well so much for "Lionrock" we didn't get one drop of rain in Khon Kaen. On the radar last night it covered the whole of the north east from the Laos border down to Udon Thani and across to Mudkahan but that greedy gummy kept all the water for himself. To be honest thou it is good because now the floods that came from Chiayaphum have a chance to move on and the people on the southern outskirts of Khon Kaen will be able to return to their homes until the next big one hits. Take care and keep safe everyone and stop hogging the water gummy

I tried to keep it but found the holes in the sieve just too big 😂

We have had rain off and on all day here in BKK, not as heavy as a few storms the other day that rolled on through.  Clouds pretty spotty now and the winds are starting to pick up so I would expect another round later this evening.