2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifying

BigHewer

36 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

When Qatar was announced as host, I figured India would be a good place for watching games, but Thailand not far behind. Thailand has better football bars too 😁

I always take the first three weeks of every World Cup off work (this time will be no different). Going to be epic in Thailand. Just hoping the Aussies and Kiwis get in to boost the banter value.

Yup, the times are same as Russia 2018.

Hopefully this time there aren’t too many pitch side advertisements for beer to pixelate out and obscure the action 😀

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BigHewer said:

So right. It’s a win win. Now I’m deciding where - perhaps a week each in Samui, Bangkok and Chiang Mai 😁

Sounds like a good plan! 

Now how about that rumor that's going around saying that FIFA should eject Iran from the WC due to the recent fiasco of banning women from spectating matches in stadiums and Italy should be brought in to replace them?

Although the possibility of this happening is quite remote, with how crazy the world is right now who knows maybe it can be true. But if it does it would be quite embarrassing for Italy to qualify not on merit but on technicalities.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BigHewer said:

When Qatar was announced as host, I figured India would be a good place for watching games, but Thailand not far behind. Thailand has better football bars too 😁

I always take the first three weeks of every World Cup off work (this time will be no different). Going to be epic in Thailand. Just hoping the Aussies and Kiwis get in to boost the banter value.

I get to enjoy Thanksgiving then watch USA beat the Brits the next day!   😀

• Like 1

When will the thread start where we make prediction of who will take the 2 top places of each division  😀

Until that starts, I predict Group B will have the most bad blood. I expect that the Iranian government will interfere as much as it can to interject its political views on the England/USA matches.Next nasty group I expect is C with Argentina fighting with everyone. And surprise bad blood group will be F with the Belgium & Croatia teams not being nice in matches against Morocco and Canada.

7 hours ago, Noble_Design said:

Although the possibility of this happening is quite remote, with how crazy the world is right now who knows maybe it can be true. But if it does it would be quite embarrassing for Italy to qualify not on merit but on technicalities.

If Iran do get kicked out, UAE would take their place. 

Switzerland would have to expelled for Italy to get in. Unless Switzerland invades Liechtenstein, Italy will stay on the sidelines 😁⚽

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Vigo said:

When will the thread start where we make prediction of who will take the 2 top places of each division  😀

Until that starts, I predict Group B will have the most bad blood. I expect that the Iranian government will interfere as much as it can to interject its political views on the England/USA matches.Next nasty group I expect is C with Argentina fighting with everyone. And surprise bad blood group will be F with the Belgium & Croatia teams not being nice in matches against Morocco and Canada.

Good question Vigo, and that will be in June after qualification wraps up. We might even do a tipping pool for the brackets ⚽😁

Agreed on Group B. What a doozy. Every match will be an event.

I had seen the Caspar comments, but 2nd photo makes me think of Ray that live in ocean.

Edited by Vigo

• 2 weeks later...

This should be interesting:

“Scotland's World Cup play-off semi-final with Ukraine has been rescheduled for 1 June, with the winner playing Wales in the final four days later.”      BBC

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

This should be interesting:

“Scotland's World Cup play-off semi-final with Ukraine has been rescheduled for 1 June, with the winner playing Wales in the final four days later.”      BBC

And the winner of that match will go into Group B with England, USA and Iran. Shaping up to be quite a group.

8 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

And the winner of that match will go into Group B with England, USA and Iran. Shaping up to be quite a group.

If I'm honest I think Scotland should throw the game against the Ukraine as should Wales.

The Ukrainians need some good news.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

If I'm honest I think Scotland should throw the game against the Ukraine as should Wales.

The Ukrainians need some good news.

You know what? I’m with you on that. Normally I would be hoping for Scotland to qualify from the three of them, but I think a Ukraine qualification would be brilliant.

• Like 1

I thank you for that BigH. Its nice to know others also root for Scotland but these are exceptional circumstances and require exceptional actions.

If I was Scotland I would take the kick off, boot the ball into my own net and then sit in the center circle having a beer with the Ukrainian team.

90 minutes later the final whistle goes and you have all made a massive statement with international coverage.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I thank you for that BigH. Its nice to know others also root for Scotland but these are exceptional circumstances and require exceptional actions.

If I was Scotland I would take the kick off, boot the ball into my own net and then sit in the center circle having a beer with the Ukrainian team.

90 minutes later the final whistle goes and you have all made a massive statement with international coverage.

I always have a soft spot for the Scots RS (gran from Loch Lomond). But this time, alas, there are bigger issues at play ⚽

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

I always have a soft spot for the Scots RS (gran from Loch Lomond). But this time, alas, there are bigger issues at play ⚽

Lomond is a lovely part of the country but alas overrun by tourists (domestic and foreign). 

Always preferred more rugged areas like Rannoch moor and Etive Mor. But even that had become too popular before I left.

The midges kill you though. And thats before you meet the wild Haggis 😄

I think it would be a fantastic gesture to the Ukrainian people from the Scots (and Welsh) to show solidarity with them.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 11:34 PM, Rookiescot said:

Lomond is a lovely part of the country but alas overrun by tourists (domestic and foreign). 

Always preferred more rugged areas like Rannoch moor and Etive Mor. But even that had become too popular before I left.

The midges kill you though. And thats before you meet the wild Haggis 😄

I think it would be a fantastic gesture to the Ukrainian people from the Scots (and Welsh) to show solidarity with them.

Here’s a shot of the south-west corner of my garage, RS. The Scotland corner. Feedback please 😁

No Ukraine section, but if they do something at the WC, will have to amend the decor ⚽

2286DF53-1BDC-46DD-BF96-2EA29DF43780.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Here’s a shot of the south-west corner of my garage, RS. The Scotland corner. Feedback please 😁

No Ukraine section, but if they do something at the WC, will have to amend the decor ⚽

2286DF53-1BDC-46DD-BF96-2EA29DF43780.jpeg

Whats the one on the left? I dont recognise that?

Tennants. Oh dear God. So many hangovers with that stuff. Local Hero is a fantastic film. Clan Macmillan (two L's surely?) one of Scotlands oldest clans and with a chequered history just like all the rest of us😁. Us Farquharsons have a few skeletons in the closet for sure. 

edit bad link

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Whats the one on the left? I dont recognise that?

Coat of Arms for “Hewer’s Bar”. More a bar than a garage, considering all the drinking that goes on there 🍻

Anyway, Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 vs Ukraine 🇺🇦 

Everyone’s a winner. Let’s hope Wales don’t spoil the party in the final.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

World Cup qualifying resumes tonight, with 8 teams playing off over the next two weeks for the last three available spots. First up tonight is a big one:

Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 vs Ukraine 🇺🇦 at Hampden Park, 1:45am Thai time

The winner goes on to play Wales in Cardiff, while the loser is out. Can Ukraine do the impossible? Hoping the Scots give the blue and yellows a rousing reception. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BigHewer said:

World Cup qualifying resumes tonight, with 8 teams playing off over the next two weeks for the last three available spots. First up tonight is a big one:

The winner goes on to play Wales in Cardiff, while the loser is out. Can Ukraine do the impossible? Hoping the Scots give the blue and yellows a rousing reception. 

Tough ask here Big H between the jocks and Ukraine. Do you let them win to boost morale and take their minds away for a few hours to forget their problems at home or do the jocks go out to defeat them?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, BigHewer said:

‘Raise the roof’: Scotland and Ukraine fans unite in song at Hampden | Ukraine | The Guardian

Actually quite happy the Ukraine won. They were the better team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

‘Raise the roof’: Scotland and Ukraine fans unite in song at Hampden | Ukraine | The Guardian

Actually quite happy the Ukraine won. They were the better team.

That match was an each way bet for me. Next up, I’m all in for the Ukraine.

Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 vs Ukraine 🇺🇦 in Cardiff, Sunday 11pm (Thai time).

According to that Guardian article RS, the Black Watch pub in Aberfeldy would be a good place to watch it ⚽👍🏻

• Like 1

Souness said it all pre-match in an on-pitch interview. He was asked by the reporter who do you predict to win tonight, Souness replied Ukraine should be given a bye into the finals by FIFA to send a message that football stands with Ukraine and every country playing in the finals will show their unity.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vlad said:

Souness said it all pre-match in an on-pitch interview. He was asked by the reporter who do you predict to win tonight, Souness replied Ukraine should be given a bye into the finals by FIFA to send a message that football stands with Ukraine and every country playing in the finals will show their unity.  

Class from Souness. Says a lot when an ex-Scotland midfielder says he’d rather see the opposition qualify for the World Cup. He may get his wish this Sunday…

Well, Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 have done it, beating Ukraine in Cardiff for a first World Cup berth since 1958. Gotta hand it to Wales, enormous pressure with the weight of history and most of the world cheering for the opposition.

5 teams left in qualifying with two spots up for grabs. Next up is:

UAE 🇦🇪 vs Australia 🇦🇺 in Doha, 1am tonight (Thai time).

Will the long-suffering Aussies live to fight another day?