News Forum - 6 warrants out for death of 1 million swiftlets, theft of bird’s nest

Thaiger

Six arrests have been made in connection with the shocking story last month of caves raided in Phatthalung where 1 million swiftlets were killed and their valuable birds’ nest plundered. Swiftlets, unlike other birds, make their nests entirely out of their own saliva which has been prized, especially in Asian culture, as a healing delicacy. Authorities estimated a 5 billion baht loss over the death of nearly 1 million swiftlet birds and the destruction and theft of their valuable nests. The Department of Special Investigation was called in to get to the bottom of the plundering of caves where the […]

The post 6 warrants out for death of 1 million swiftlets, theft of bird’s nest appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Sorry but if this country is more concerned about birds being killed than human beings on its own streets then it is really a sick country approaching Stalinist proportions of evil.

33 minutes ago, gummy said:

Sorry but if this country is more concerned about birds being killed than human beings on its own streets then it is really a sick country approaching Stalinist proportions of evil.

Well......you know how that is.

Particular priorities. 

16 hours ago, gummy said:

Swiftlets are an endangered species , humans are not . yet ...

It is not only about protecting humans ... humans are a destructive species , swiftlets are not .

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nobodysfriend said:

Swiftlets are an endangered species , humans are not . yet ...

It is not only about protecting humans ... humans are a destructive species , swiftlets are not .

Some are some are not, where did it say in the article that this species were one of the 6 endangered ? It solely mentions money which it appears is of most concern.

For reference on those swiftlets that are endangered please see below;

https://animaldiversity.org/accounts/Collocaliini/#:~:text=Conservation Status,Mascarene swiftlets are near threatened.

T

2 minutes ago, gummy said:

where did it say in the article that this species were one of the 6 endangered ?

It says : " They will also face additional charges as swiftlets are a protected species, so threatening their habitat and lives may carry harsher penalties. "

16 hours ago, gummy said:

a sick country approaching Stalinist proportions of evil.

That is a bit over the top isn't it?

I don't think the starlets killed whatever humans killed on the street you were referring to.

Calm down mate.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nobodysfriend said:

T

It says : " They will also face additional charges as swiftlets are a protected species, so threatening their habitat and lives may carry harsher penalties. "

Some people don't bother reading the article before ranting on about Stalanist evil 🤣

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nobodysfriend said:

T

I asked specifically regarding the endangered species as that is what you stated. Protected and endangered and not the same.

7 minutes ago, gummy said:

Swiftlets are an endangered species , humans are not . yet ..

Just now, gummy said:

Protected and endangered and not the same.

... but closely related .

A protected species is normally protected because it is endangered .

• Like 1

Just now, Nobodysfriend said:

... but closely related .

A protected species is normally protected because it is endangered .

That is as may be but I will ask yet again  based on you quoting that they were specifically an  endangered species did the article mention that those swift species were the endangered ones. Simple question yes or no ?

17 hours ago, gummy said:

it is really a sick country approaching Stalinist proportions of evil.

Next you will comparing this bird kill to the holocaust and genocide of the Australian Aborigines.

What I can't understand is why or how they killed the birds. No need to kill them get the valuable nests.

• Like 1

Just now, gummy said:

That is as may be but I will ask yet again  based on you quoting that they were specifically an  endangered species did the article mention that those swift species were the endangered ones. Simple question yes or no ?

Protected it says ...

Why are the swiftlets a protected species ?

Not because they are endangered ?

But I do not want to waste more time on a senseless discussion .

Yes , you were right . The article says ' protected ' , not  'endangered ' .

In my opinion that does not make a lot of a difference , does it ?

Anyway , it is just another prime example of human greed destroying a whole population of 6 million ( !!! ) swiftlets .

Just now, Nobodysfriend said:

Protected it says ...

Why are the swiftlets a protected species ?

Not because they are endangered ?

But I do not want to waste more time on a senseless discussion .

Yes , you were right . The article says ' protected ' , not  'endangered ' .

In my opinion that does not make a lot of a difference , does it ?

Anyway , it is just another prime example of human greed destroying a whole population of 6 million ( !!! ) swiftlets .

Thanks for the clarification that is all I originally had asked for.

3 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

What I can't understand is why or how they killed the birds. No need to kill them get the valuable nests.

They killed the birds by lighting a fire in that cave . And they threw plastic rubbish from the beach into that fire what caused toxic fumes that killed the birds