News Forum - A synopsis of Thailand’s educational system

Thaiger

Many expats who decide to settle in Thailand are curious about its public schools’ status. As Thailand is a popular destination for many worldwide, those with kids may be looking to immerse their children in the culture. Thus, enrolling them into the country’s government-sponsored schools may be an option. However, further research into this reveals that the quality of education in Thailand’s schools may not be what they are expecting. As Thailand is full of tropical coastlines and a rich, cultural history, its public school system may not be as glamourous. But, depending on what your goals are for your […]

The post A synopsis of Thailand’s educational system appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

This "synopsis" is quite deceptive; the key phrase, coming in at the last paragraph is this: 

"...enrolling them in a public school in Thailand certainly is beneficial for learning the language, making friends and learning the culture."

In other words, your children really won't learn much/anything except the Thai language and you can do that in a myriad of alternate ways. Yes, your kids will be nice, fluent Thai speakers who cower at authority, repeat useless slogans and lack the critical-thinking skills required to have a decent future in the twenty-first century.

The Thai educational system is such a disaster that mere "Reform" won't actually cut it; the entire system needs to be bombed (metaphorically speaking) to rubble and re-made. Look at the Ministry of Education's own stats; a majority high school grads fail the Ministry's own standard tests in 7 out of 8 subjects, the only one where a bare majority actually pass is in Thai language.

The headquarters of the Education Ministry in Bangkok should be razed to the ground and everyone who works in that building fired. As a start. And, that is 'Fired with extreme prejudice'.

Every provincial office of the Ministry of Education should have 80% of its staff fired. As a start. And, that is 'Fired with extreme prejudice'.

Every school principal should be notified that if his students don't achieve a more than 50% pass rate on national exams, he will be fired. Hand-in hand with the principals' head being on the proverbial block, he should also have some power to hire/fire teachers, to discipline teachers, and some leeway on how the school is run.

The steps described above are a beginning, not an end. Thais don't generally want 'Western' experts telling them how to do things (fine), but they could easily hire South Korean or Singaporean or other experts to help re-fashion things. But, and this is the key element, radical change is required.

Most Nations' Educational systems would benefit from reforms; Thailand's are waaaaaaaay beyond that.

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

It is the only way to end up with something tolerable.

• Like 2

Thai English language skills are poor due to English being taught as an academic subject same as chemistry or physics. Students are drilled in reading and writing, but not in speaking. English language is first spoken by native English speakers, followed by reading and writing at school. Simply put native English speakers speak English long before they read or write  it. And further to exacerbate this flawed English language instruction English is taught at schools by Thai teachers who lack the skills of native English speakers themselves.

• Like 1

Know a few teachers and you are right in many aspects, local principle delegates everything and wouldn't have a clue what goes on.  Other teachers are bone lazy and most of the assistant teachers are clock watchers. there are some good ones that try very hard but in a minority.

• Like 1

Encouraging and instilling critical, challenging, and questioning thought. 

Removing the embedded patronage and authoritarian styles from curriculum. 

10 minutes ago, Rain said:

If only, but the hope must be that the young kids starting today, by the time they have their own kids starting school, then this corrupt and depraved system, and all vestiges of it, will have been swept away for good. That may be a stretch but only that will secure the future prosperity of this wonderful country.

5 minutes ago, gummy said:

If only, but the hope must be that the young kids starting today, by the time they have their own kids starting school, then this corrupt and depraved system, and all vestiges of it, will have been swept away for good. That may be a stretch but only that will secure the future prosperity of this wonderful country.

Hope springs eternal. 

1 hour ago, Shade_Wilder said:
Most Nations' Educational systems would benefit from reforms; Thailand's are waaaaaaaay beyond that.

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

It is the only way to end up with something tolerable.

Spot on, @Shade_Wilder!   You've hit all the relevant nails on the head there. The most depressing thought for me is that the only hope for any of this reformative approach to happen and to take effect would be for a totally new and forward-thinking government to be put in place and I sadly accept that this is never going to happen, given the present constitutional set-up.

A sad situation for this country's kids and an even sadder one for any incomers, as specifically mentioned in the thread, who may wish to place their kids within the state school system, for whom 'something tolerable' will never be available.

The golden era of AI is the dream world in which robotic efficiency need a minimal number of trained technical maintainers. In this new world production of all needs will be streamlined and cheaper with quality control standardized and enhanced by the reduction of human error. The requirement of people in the process will need only a fraction of current personnel which by reduction in labor costs and associated unpredictable human foibles so will quickly offset initial major investment in AI and thereby enhance secure dividends.A rosy picture ............until the reality of the fact that a population denied employment also means denied a financial capacity to purchase the newly enhanced perfect AI products !

Rapidly and not so insidiously the previous concept of good free education for all is being demoted to provide  basics for the majority while best education is now for the wealthy who can pay. The danger is that it could be presumed the offspring of the wealthy somehow inherit  best intelligence as well despite many high profile examples demonstrate gross failure of that presumption. Having paid very well for some certificate does not enhance the possibility of intellectual capacity but unfortunately provides positions of influence despite gross ineptitude.

A spear chucker  may not know the science of the weapon but with practice and determination can place it in/on target !

30 minutes ago, whitesnake said:

Thaiger!! How much of this hornet's nest do you want to uncover here exactly?! 

The Thais seem to be doing quite well for themselves considering what you are saying.

I want to high school in the late 1980's in Australia. I was always in the bottom 2 or 3 in my class. Despite that I was able to wing an interview and got a job for a stockbroker. My dopey best mate is now a CEO of a national company on BIG bucks.

In the 90's onwards immigrants, especially Asians, and more so females, studied harder and raised the bar for everyone. Now to land a similar job to what I got would mean a four year university course.

Exactly the same job, but you have to spend 4 years learning mostly irrelevant stuff now.

I had a Korean girlfriend for a while and was shocked how much they have to study just to get an average job over there. Stuff that.

I reckon the Thais have got it fairly good. Just have fun, don't bother studying too hard but they have a very low unemployment rate.

Mai bpen rai, sabai sabai.

I am not sure why farangers get so worked up about the Thai education system. Up to them, it doesn't worry them, why should it worry you?

5 hours ago, Rain said:

This 100%

Thais are not taught to be curious, it is actually frowned about.

Parents aren't supposed to question the teachers

I think Thais are very intelligent people, on the whole

I just think they've been ingrained to not have any curiousity and not to question anything.......

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

I had a Korean girlfriend for a while and was shocked how much they have to study just to get an average job over there. Stuff that.

I reckon the Thais have got it fairly good. Just have fun, don't bother studying too hard but they have a very low unemployment rate.

I am not sure why farangers get so worked up about the Thai education system. Up to them, it doesn't worry them, why should it worry you?

Some have kids in the system and some of the methods are appalling

My stepson's 1st year at university, his teachers didn't make books available

They were instead, copying pages of the book and charging their students an exorbitant amount for each sheet

That is criminal..............and the parents(I am surprised) finally got it shut down

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

The Thais seem to be doing quite well for themselves considering what you are saying.

I want to high school in the late 1980's in Australia. I was always in the bottom 2 or 3 in my class. Despite that I was able to wing an interview and got a job for a stockbroker. My dopey best mate is now a CEO of a national company on BIG bucks.

In the 90's onwards immigrants, especially Asians, and more so females, studied harder and raised the bar for everyone. Now to land a similar job to what I got would mean a four year university course.

Exactly the same job, but you have to spend 4 years learning mostly irrelevant stuff now.

I was applying for Wall Street jobs and deli jobs when I got out of University in 1995

The delis never called me back! But Wall St did 5555

And you are correct, I wouldn't get my job today

I was just out with clients in July, 3 young Asian kids in their early 20's...........all Ivy League school graduates

I also think Asia can be a bit ridiculous in some of the jobs they demand degrees for.

I've been to so many places(4 star hotels, etc) where the staff was incompetent, where my wife could run circles around them, but she'd never be hired w/o a degree

Edited by Marc26
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, whitesnake said:

Because my job is to TEACH!!!

You have to look on the bright side of it mate.

Heaps easier, less pressure here than in for example South Korea.

Chilax.

8 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

This 100%

Thais are not taught to be curious, it is actually frowned about.

Parents aren't supposed to question the teachers

I think Thais are very intelligent people, on the whole

I just think they've been ingrained to not have any curiousity and not to question anything.......

Indeed.

Well said.

2 minutes ago, whitesnake said:

That's not the answer.... just the usual Farang cop out phrase..."Hey, this is Thailand!" I dare say, if you had a son or a daughter, you would be happy if I was Facebooking during their class time, forging their test results, not logging their attendance or, failing to show up in class at all then YOU would find all that acceptable? Yes? Correct?   Mai bpen rai, sabai sabai.

I wouldn't let it worry me.

17 minutes ago, whitesnake said:

That's not the answer.... just the usual Farang cop out phrase..."Hey, this is Thailand!" I dare say, if you had a son or a daughter, you would be happy if I was Facebooking during their class time, forging their test results, not logging their attendance or, failing to show up in class at all then YOU would find all that acceptable? Yes? Correct?   Mai bpen rai, sabai sabai.

Although I agree with 

Our personal situation?

I wanted my stepson to go to school in Canada, but he wanted to go to school in Thailand.

I thought it was the wrong choice, but his life......

I think he has learned a base for his major(physical therapy) but that he may need to go to school here again, if he wanted to work in Canada

But he is young enough, the school wasn't that expensive and it gave him a learning base

Kind of a ridiculous resignation..........but it is what it is

21 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I wanted my stepson to go to school in Canada, but he wanted to go to school in Thailand.

Thai girls are hot. I don't blame your stepson for not wanting to miss out.

• Cool 1

12 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Thai girls are hot. I don't blame your stepson for not wanting to miss out.

Although I agree with you.....

We live in Vancouver, he could have the whole smorgasboard of Asians here! And add in all the Brazilian girls going to English school here, as well

With the added benefit they are living outside their country, so they would be a bit more, ummmm "adventurous"  :)

Edited by Marc26

What sort of Western person would go to live in Thailand if they have young kids?

A selfish one maybe. 

Even if the kids go to private schools the quality of education would not be as good as standard free education back in their own countries.

So they will be able to learn the Thai culture and speak the language, tens of millions of school children can speak fluent Thai but that will not help them get on in the future re money/jobs etc. 

2 hours ago, JamesR said:

What sort of Western person would go to live in Thailand if they have young kids?

A selfish one maybe. 

Oh dear I can see this thread unfortunately quickly going off the rails with comments like that.  this thread is about Thailand's education system, not  what sort of Western people educate their children here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gummy said:

10 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Although I agree with you.....

We live in Vancouver, he could have the whole smorgasboard of Asians here! And add in all the Brazilian girls going to English school here, as well

With the added benefit they are living outside their country, so they would be a bit more, ummmm "adventurous"  :)

I agree with you,, but,, there would be added competition for those girls from taller, larger nosed, whiter other males. And he would have to study harder.

So more competition for the girls and study.

I would have chosen the same roots as you stepson. Sounds like he has his priorities in good order. I wish him all the best.

Edited by RobMuir

1 hour ago, gummy said:

Oh dear I can see this thread unfortunately quickly going off the rails with comments like that.  this thread is about Thailand's education system, not  what sort of Western people educate their children here.

It is very relevant as many Thais choose to send their kids overseas to study, that is related to what Thais who have the choice think about their own education system.

If what is being said offends another person in anyway then they should not claim someone is going off the rails just because of that. Nothing said has been offensive,  but it is fact as far as I can see. 

10 minutes ago, JamesR said:

It is very relevant as many Thais choose to send their kids overseas to study, that is related to what Thais who have the choice think about their own education system.

If what is being said offends another person in anyway then they should not claim someone is going off the rails just because of that. Nothing said has been offensive,  but it is fact as far as I can see. 

Did I say it was offensive ? NO . So it seems  you are dreaming up peoples statements. So just to clarify to you and others again, "the type of western person"  is absolutely irrelevant to Thailand's educational system and hence discussions on a particular type of person will send this thread of its tracks.