Time to build a house!

GMoney2312

9 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

Of course they have eye protection.
I've seen people welding using sunglasses on quite a few occasions. Is that not right?

I have seen people welding using a piece of paper sticky taped to the forehead with two eye holes poked in it.

Works well if you squint a bit they say.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Changnam43 said:

I have seen people welding using a piece of paper sticky taped to the forehead with two eye holes poked in it.

Works well if you squint a bit they say.

You have to be a little bit careful with that method as one stray spark could turn you into the 'Crazy World of Arthur Brown'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, GMoney2312 said:

Considering our price now does not include appliances and the well we will dig to bypass the city water, your guess is even better. Our light fixture will be pricier, we are adding nice ceiling fans- and we want a large gazebo type structure in the back yard. Also, the price of the wall in not included yet as well. We will try to keep it just under 100,000 USD- oh yeah- need some landscaping done as well! 

Apparently the Rolls Royce of ceiling fans are made by a Company called Mr Ken . I’ve seen many good reports from foreigners here in Thailand regarding quietness , durability and price etc.

I’m not in Isaan but maybe some of the posters on here can comment on Mr Ken fans and their availability in Isaan.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

Apparently the Rolls Royce of ceiling fans are made by a Company called Mr Ken . I’ve seen many good reports from foreigners here in Thailand regarding quietness , durability and price etc.

I’m not in Isaan but maybe some of the posters on here can comment on Mr Ken fans and their availability in Isaan.

MrKen sell online and have at least 2 big stores in Bangkok, 1 in Chiang Mai + Dealers.  The biggest problem with selecting ceiling fans is that you MUST test drive the one you like before deciding to buy.

People, especially store staff, will try and convince you that 3 blades are most efficient, or fancy wave-shapes ... they sure look nice!  But there are BIG drawbacks for domestic use inside your home with some types. Metal blade fans are cheap and very noisy on higher speeds.  PVC or wooden fans tend to be far quieter and more stylish.

We test drove all the most suitable (in our case modern looking) fans in MrKen stores and couldn't go past the UFO -design with 4 reversible plywood blades, one side wood grain veneer, the other silver or white painted.  The 4 blades provide a good cone-shaped spread of air flow below a 4m x 4m area even on the lowest settings and we've used 10 of this model alone in 2 houses now, mainly lounge and bedrooms.  We bought black PVC 3 bladed models for both kitchens, indoor and cabana so as not to show any oily residue staining.  Both of those models have a more direct cylindrical air flow which doesn't affect the hob - cooktops or sink, only central prep areas.

If cheaper fans are required for outdoor or communal areas, Mitsubishi 3 bladed fans from Home-Pro are a good choice.

MrKen can supply remote control units for all models and we recommend them for bedrooms especially.  One can retrofit remotes although it make the wall control redundant and after-market wiring colour codes can be confusing if DIY.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, GMoney2312 said:

Keeping my white ass hidden sure helps....

Yes, that's very true. One whiff of a farang on the prevailing wind....& the price is doubled!

animation sniff GIF by Koji Yamamoto

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Since everyone liked my first comment, 555  here is another from my grammar police series. 

"Build a house" means to construct, assemble, etc...

What you are doing is private Property Development, not "building".  Words matter!  555

My oldest brother was a general contractor in Arizona and I worked with him many times over 4-5 years.  We and other hired construction workers "Built houses" and did additions to houses.  We poured slabs, framed, set roof trusses, and everything else from plumbing and electrical down to drywall and painting.  

I am curious if there are building codes and if you have "building inspectors" checking different phases of the build, such as slab/rebar, block laying, roofing, electrical, and plumbing here in Thailand on a single family residence.   

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ExpatPattaya said:

Since everyone liked my first comment, 555  here is another from my grammar police series. 

"Build a house" means to construct, assemble, etc...

What you are doing is private Property Development, not "building".  Words matter!  555

My oldest brother was a general contractor in Arizona and I worked with him many times over 4-5 years.  We and other hired construction workers "Built houses" and did additions to houses.  We poured slabs, framed, set roof trusses, and everything else from plumbing and electrical down to drywall and painting.  

I am curious if there are building codes and if you have "building inspectors" checking different phases of the build, such as slab/rebar, block laying, roofing, electrical, and plumbing here in Thailand on a single family residence.   

There's no such Fascists restrictions and regulations here as to how anyone wishes to build.

The everyday freedom, independence and self-sufficiency of Asia. 

Unlike your overwhelming lorded over and controlled "developed" civilisations. 😉

• Haha 1

On 12/17/2021 at 12:16 PM, ExpatPattaya said:

Why why why?  A house in a foreign country you can never really own and definately not the land it sits on.

Possibly not allowed to live in Thailand if your Non-Imm O visa is not renewed next year.   

Retirement is about NOT having anchors or resposibilities or encumberances in your life anymore IMO

Good luck though, if you have no progeny back home to leave your money to, yes build a house in Thailand as an act of philanthropy.  It's only money, and you certainly cannot take it with you when you go

idiot.jpg.e3448aec9b18d7a812192d020ebcc784.jpg.5a55acbaca6a9ec865dfaeb9670469ca.jpg

I'd call that an ignorant comment if not knowing anything about the OP

Edited by KaptainRob

On 12/17/2021 at 2:16 PM, ExpatPattaya said:

Why why why?  A house in a foreign country you can never really own and definately not the land it sits on.

That’s not true ExpatPattaya. I own my land and the house I built on it in Japan. I hold the original deeds in my name; they go back to the first owner in 1610. I am free to sell the land, lease it and/or pass it on to my children when I die.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BigHewer said:

That’s not true ExpatPattaya. I own my land and the house I built on it in Japan. I hold the original deeds in my name; they go back to the first owner in 1610. I am free to sell the land, lease it and/or pass it on to my children when I die.

But you can't in Thailand

You can lease the house so you have protection in case of divorce 

But you can't own the land 

But his comments are unfounded

When he has no idea about the OP and his wife

He doesn't know their finances

He doesn't know if or how much the wife has contributed to the house build 

11 hours ago, ExpatPattaya said:

I am curious if there are building codes

As Rain already stated- no one from the city or community comes out to check anything. Hell, we do not even have an official street address yet! The Electric company hooked us up with a 3,000 Baht deposit that we get back later. We had to identify our property in their office by looking at drone pictures.

Its like Disneyland without the lines!

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, GMoney2312 said:

As Rain already stated- no one from the city or community comes out to check anything. Hell, we do not even have an official street address yet! The Electric company hooked us up with a 3,000 Baht deposit that we get back later. We had to identify our property in their office by looking at drone pictures.

Its like Disneyland without the lines!

I like the comparison!

A lot of the paperwork is down to being creative.

My wife registered a plot for house registration, by the telling the tessaban she was planning to build a house there, even though she didn't own it (it's part of her father's land).
She convinced them to issue the document for a single story house with two rooms, before the building started. Oddly enough, she never actually 'got around' to building the house.
Therefore her house registration, ID card, my yellow house reg and pink ID are all for an empty plot of land.
We must be homeless!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Must be getting close to the pvc water and drains going in . Keep an extra vigilant eye on the application of glue to the joints as once it’s done it’s done !!

I had a particularly bad experience with a water leak under the house about 2 years ago which left me with 2 options:

Dig up the tiled floors in a “ fingers crossed “ type of deal.

or

Repipe the whole house externally !!

I went with the latter, which I wouldn’t wish on anyone !!

NOTE: desperate to avoid either of the options above I spent around 3 months searching for the leak before finally biting the bullet !!

• Like 3
  • Angry 1