News Forum - Vaccination drive accelerated in Pattaya to prepare for November reopening

Thaiger

26 minutes ago, Thaired said:

Vaccines are not the solution and they can vaccinate 100% of the people in Pattaya but it won't make any real difference

What is the solution then? If not vaccines, what then? 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, AussieBob said:

It is going to go OK, or it is going to be a disaster - I cannot see anything in between happening. They are finally starting to get a grip on things and then they loosen up the reins.  All this re-opening happening across the country is only because the PM said back in June that they will be open in 120 days, so everyone is racing ahead to get things going.  This one decision could be the make/break moment for PM - if it all goes OK he will be thanked for taking the risk, but if it all goes 'pear shaped' then they will be desperately trying to cover up the numbers of new cases and infections - but his reign will be effectively over.  I am not sure he realises this though, but maybe he does and realises he has nothing to lose. Whatever happens, the reality is that the decisions being made now to open are based on politics and money, not health and welfare. 

Agree totally, I am constantly being fascinated by their vaccination drive. There is no comprehensive strategy to vaccinate for the greater good but always a strategy for the good of some. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

Agree totally, I am constantly being fascinated by their vaccination drive. There is no comprehensive strategy to vaccinate for the greater good but always a strategy for the good of some. 

And the good of some, irrespective of any advantageous health benefits to many, will always be for  the wealthy or  autocratic administrations.

15 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

As always, a thoughtful post, Mr Dog, especially the last two paragraphs.

I am not an expert on the Thai national economy, although I could probably blag my way through a chat in a bar if the bartender was both quick and heavy-handed; perhaps another member has more of a background in the macroeconomic field (if any one does, please post; I'd love to hear from someone who really understands it all). I do know that the Thai establishment was deeply scarred by the crisis in '97 and tends to fear debt a wee bit more than they should, but that is understandable. I think that there is a certain arrogance and distain for the poor on behalf of the ruling class; 'if they were good people, they wouldn't be poor, would they?'. I also think that there simply aren't the mechanisms available to reach down to the neediest people in Thai society and help them; many poor people don't have national ID cards, nor bank accounts, nor are registered as 'poor', nor able to navigate the Thai bureaucracy to access help when needed. Finally, the Thai State isn't structured well; there is a historical tendency to provide funds to the 'Local Big Man' who in turn distributes them around (for a cut), usually in return for support of the elite. Last but not least, I would just mention corruption. Many years ago, by a series of one-off weird flukes, I had lunch with the Under-Secretary of Education in Indonesia, a man who controlled a budget of hundreds of millions. He said to me, in the certain knowledge that I couldn't quote him, that if he wanted to send 1,000$ (for example) to a small village in an outer island, he budgeted 10,000$ and assumed that 9,000$ would be stolen along the way. That was Indonesia, but I think we all would believe it were it set in Thailand.

I see street-level economics. I see many sleeping rough. I know many poor Thais, and they are hanging on by a thread (I help as I can, and I am certain others on here do as well). I know that petty crimes are on the increase, something which is a leading indicator of hardship. In sum, I see the working poor in my area and they are not able to withstand another missed season, but they also don't have many skills and can't really transition to another job (a beach-seller doesn't suddenly become a middle-manager of a multi-national company). If some sort of economic rebound doesn't occur, they are all f****d. Seriously, seriously F*****d.

So, the government is re-opening; in my view, they have to.

That is about all I can say. If economic activity doesn't re-start, I think it will be worse than Covid, much worse. And, even harder to repair later.

I have no idea if it'll work (the re-opening) and I understand the health risks, but if people don't start getting cash in their pocket soon, it'll be the Zombie Apocalypse; I don't think that they can survive another high-season without tourists.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can put all this into a more coherent post.

Yes a lot lost their jobs or businesses and has effects on their families. Many students had to stop their education because of that and many who finished their education or university cannot get a job because of this economic situation. Thats why the young generation worry about the situation and their future. Good reflection and good comment

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wonderful news.  I am looking forward to visiting Thailand once the vaccination rate is high enough to feel comfortable that I won't be likely to get sick or make others sick.  Thank you to the scientist heroes who developed this vaccine and to the ordinary workers on the ground performing vaccinations.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Claudia said:

Thank you to the scientist heroes who developed this vaccine and to the ordinary workers on the ground performing vaccinations.

Well certainly that is an understatement and whilst I can only speak for Udon Thani health workers, then if they are representative of all other health workers around the country  then they have done very very well and should be thanked by all.

7 minutes ago, gummy said:

Well certainly that is an understatement and whilst I can only speak for Udon Thani health workers, then if they are representative of all other health workers around the country  then they have done very very well and should be thanked by all.

Yep.

Unsung heroes worldwide.

If they really want to attract 'high quality tourists', they need to flush out the low quality tourists first. 

Hi-so families with money to burn dont want their vacation ruined by unsightly barflys when they walk along the beach. 

Who wants to spend $300 a night on a luxury hotel when the view from your bedroom window is some geezer entering into a soapy joint to solicit unmentionable atrocities from a woman 50 years younger than him. 

Get rid of walking street, the beer halls, soi 6 etc and replace them with more family friendly attractions and a place where respectable gentlemen would gladly take their wife.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Claudia said:

Wonderful news.  I am looking forward to visiting Thailand once the vaccination rate is high enough to feel comfortable that I won't be likely to get sick or make others sick.  Thank you to the scientist heroes who developed this vaccine and to the ordinary workers on the ground performing vaccinations.

Absolutely, as long as you wear mask, socially distancing, wash your hands & avoid the crowd, you'll be fine.

9 hours ago, Rip255 said:

If they really want to attract 'high quality tourists', they need to flush out the low quality tourists first. 

Hi-so families with money to burn dont want their vacation ruined by unsightly barflys when they walk along the beach. 

Who wants to spend $300 a night on a luxury hotel when the view from your bedroom window is some geezer entering into a soapy joint to solicit unmentionable atrocities from a woman 50 years younger than him. 

Get rid of walking street, the beer halls, soi 6 etc and replace them with more family friendly attractions and a place where respectable gentlemen would gladly take their wife.

Well that’s easily solved. Close the soapy joints. Dream on though, they generate too much cash. Same with the other venues. My advice is that if you want that kind of environment then you should try somewhere else. Pattaya will never change to how you describe. Not in our lifetime at least

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

Well that’s easily solved. Close the soapy joints. Dream on though, they generate too much cash. Same with the other venues. My advice is that if you want that kind of environment then you should try somewhere else. Pattaya will never change to how you describe. Not in our lifetime at least

They certainly do generate cash especially for the Thai owners and of course the RTP.  It's not just Pattaya of course as we must not forget places such as Bang Saen where its the generals that run that place and naturally Bangkok where the government ministers support the VIP type clubs. No way will it possibly be stopped with those interested parties involved.

Oh yes and to the troll that stated, amongst other ridiculous things "Who wants to spend $300 a night on a luxury hotel when the view from your bedroom window is some geezer entering into a soapy joint to..." then clearly he possibly has never set foot in any luxury hotel  let alone one  where the the $300 rooms are the ground floor  looking right on a pavement.😂. If he has perhaps he could name it.

On 10/4/2021 at 2:14 PM, Stardust said:

They give dates minimum 3 month and there is no choice. But the point was about to speed up and how it can be possible with 3 month to speed up for get vaccinated til November?!

I was av here in thailand early June then 2nd was early August, originally the 2nd was oct 4 but I asked for it to be changed as I was originally planning to be out of Thailand at that time.

8 hours ago, gummy said:

They certainly do generate cash especially for the Thai owners and of course the RTP.  It's not just Pattaya of course as we must not forget places such as Bang Saen where its the generals that run that place and naturally Bangkok where the government ministers support the VIP type clubs. No way will it possibly be stopped with those interested parties involved.

Oh yes and to the troll that stated, amongst other ridiculous things "Who wants to spend $300 a night on a luxury hotel when the view from your bedroom window is some geezer entering into a soapy joint to..." then clearly he possibly has never set foot in any luxury hotel  let alone one  where the the $300 rooms are the ground floor  looking right on a pavement.😂. If he has perhaps he could name it.

Exactly right. The same guy also seems to think it’s just foreigners who hang out in sleazy bars and engage in Soapy massages and prostitution. 90% of such activity across Thailand is by local Thai men. Even Thai women have their “Host Bars” where they can enjoy the company of a fit young guy or for more money take him to a hotel for the night. The Sleazy bars and prostitution is something holiday makers found in Thailand and it expanded in a few limited places. It wasn’t something that has expanded to meet the new requirement of foreigners. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Exactly right. The same guy also seems to think it’s just foreigners who hang out in sleazy bars and engage in Soapy massages and prostitution. 90% of such activity across Thailand is by local Thai men. Even Thai women have their “Host Bars” where they can enjoy the company of a fit young guy or for more money take him to a hotel for the night. The Sleazy bars and prostitution is something holiday makers found in Thailand and it expanded in a few limited places. It wasn’t something that has expanded to meet the new requirement of foreigners. 

In my time in Thailand Ive been to some remote places and not a farang in sight, You can see them fairy lights in the distance tucked away in the jungle, it was going on in Thailand long before the farang arrived,

9 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

In my time in Thailand Ive been to some remote places and not a farang in sight, You can see them fairy lights in the distance tucked away in the jungle, it was going on in Thailand long before the farang arrived,

100% correct. They are everywhere and many you wouldn’t even spot. It’s the same with the short time hotels where you drive in and a curtain is pulled across your car and you go in to the room. They are all over Thailand and well away from any tourist spots. I recall being in Phetchabun with a couple of friends and going to a bar with those fairy lights. We were told politely that only Thai, no Farang allowed. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Oh, for sure. Thai circles. For ages.

Little to do with Farang.

Contemporary times might lead you to believe that such venues are/were hidden. On the contrary, most of these "local" hospitality places were in plain sight within commercial/public zones - still are. 

Always the oddity to see Farang at such places.

10 hours ago, gummy said:

Gee. That's a nasty comment.

And untrue.

Nana Plaza was told to put a roof of it for exactly that reason, so guests in two high end hotels would be shielded from having to see the old perverted farangers exploiting the young poor girls.

Another example I saw was when I staying in the penthouse suite at the Pattaya Hilton. It looks straight down on Soi 8. Fat old farangs in Chang singlets pawing at the young girls. 

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

100% correct. They are everywhere and many you wouldn’t even spot. It’s the same with the short time hotels where you drive in and a curtain is pulled across your car and you go in to the room.

Exactly. The Thais don't walk around with hookers in public. They use discretion.

The old farangers parade around with these hookers as if they are on some romantic date and in love carrying on.

Most normal tourists find these old desperates behaviour to be be very cringeworthy. 

The old saying " get a room".

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Gee. That's a nasty comment.

And untrue.

Nana Plaza was told to put a roof of it for exactly that reason, so guests in two high end hotels would be shielded from having to see the old perverted farangers exploiting the young poor girls.

Another example I saw was when I staying in the penthouse suite at the Pattaya Hilton. It looks straight down on Soi 8. Fat old farangs in Chang singlets pawing at the young girls. 

Enjoy your "holiday" ? 😉

10 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Exactly. The Thais don't walk around with hookers in public. They use discretion.

The old farangers parade around with these hookers as if they are on some romantic date and in love carrying on.

Most normal tourists find these old desperates behaviour to be be very cringeworthy. 

The old saying " get a room".

Thankfully though, This is Thailand and so people can cast aside the western propensity to look down the nose at others and be so judgemental. We are all adults and should be allowed to do as you wish as long as no one is being hurt. If some fat old boy in his autumn years wishes to forget his arthritis and walk hand in hand with some Thai beauty, then who am I to judge. It’s odd how it’s ok for the rich and famous to avail themselves of youth and beauty in later life, but when former docker Len from Liverpool does it, we look down on him. Good on ya Len👍🏻

1 minute ago, Soidog said:

Thankfully though, This is Thailand and so people can cast aside the western propensity to look down the nose at others and be so judgemental

You think Thais don't judge? I think you might be a confused. Or in denial. 

They don't say anything directly as part of their culture is not to make you lose face. Some people assume because of that, that the Thais don't judge. But they are wrong. 

And I was referring to the point made by the other poster which I agree with. High end tourists who spend the most money don't want to exposed to the ugly side of sex tourism. Which is why most 5 star hotels have a guest policy, to refuse them.

44 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

You think Thais don't judge? I think you might be a confused. Or in denial. 

They don't say anything directly as part of their culture is not to make you lose face. Some people assume because of that, that the Thais don't judge. But they are wrong. 

And I was referring to the point made by the other poster which I agree with. High end tourists who spend the most money don't want to exposed to the ugly side of sex tourism. Which is why most 5 star hotels have a guest policy, to refuse them.

Don’t get me wrong @RobMuir, I know and agree the Thais judge.My point is, why should we or anyone else care how others judge us, especially in later life. Life is too short to worry too much what others think, apart from those close to us. 

I also agree. I don’t recall a $300 a night hotel room looking out in to such places. Mind you, many years ago I stayed at the Pan Pacific hotel ($200) and that had a fantastic high rise view of life in Patpong. I couldn’t wait to have a shower and get down to it all 😂😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Thankfully though, This is Thailand and so people can cast aside the western propensity to look down the nose at others and be so judgemental. We are all adults and should be allowed to do as you wish as long as no one is being hurt. If some fat old boy in his autumn years wishes to forget his arthritis and walk hand in hand with some Thai beauty, then who am I to judge. It’s odd how it’s ok for the rich and famous to avail themselves of youth and beauty in later life, but when former docker Len from Liverpool does it, we look down on him. Good on ya Len👍🏻

I look down on anyone from Liverpool

• Haha 1