News Forum - Vaccination drive accelerated in Pattaya to prepare for November reopening

Thaiger

The rollout of Covid-19 vaccinations is being accelerated in Pattaya to prepare for reopening in November. The city’s mayor Sonthaya Kunplome says he expects more than 80% of the population in Pattaya to be fully vaccinated by October 15. Pattaya City Hospital is being used as the main vaccination centre with up to 2,600 doses of AstraZeneca and Sinopharm being administered each day. Priority in the local inoculation drive is given to the elderly, bed-ridden patients, and those who with chronic diseases or other underlying health conditions that put them at risk of a severe infection. According to Nation Thailand, […]

The post Vaccination drive accelerated in Pattaya to prepare for November reopening appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"Pattaya is also vaccinating people who haven’t been listed as residents as well as foreigners and migrants to ensure everybody is protected.”"

I think, with a hint of trepidation(!), that it is a good idea for Patts and the rest of the country to re-open; the economic damage needs to be addressed to the point that I don't think that there is much of a choice anymore. To those that think everyone needs to be shot first, I can't say that you are wrong, but in my view the economic damage has reached a point that substantial risk is called for; perhaps we can agree to disagree. 

One very big worry is that a very large number of people who worked in Patts went home to sit out Covid, and they will be returning unvaccinated. I hope that the Mayor and all officials will take that into consideration; vaccinating local residents is a good, good thing, but you have to do the returnees as well or it'll all fall apart.

Good Luck!

• Like 6

And why only Pattaya are they accelerating vaccines how about hua hin, Chiang Mai etc etc!  And remember AstraZeneca here they are going the full 3 months between doses so how again will they get 80% fully vaccinated.. even in phuket they still haven't reached the 70% ! Mainly due to people just not wanting it..or the vaccines offered..these percentage figures the government keep spouting will be different in each are due to the takup in that area 

• Like 4

I think by now we all know that targeted vaccination in specific areas (that can't be isolated) won't work.

Even on an island it didn't work.

I wonder whether they're just throwing out só many press-releases that nobody can make heads or takes of it anymore. With so much contradiction and widely differing numbers, that no-one can see what is really happening.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

I think by now we all know that targeted vaccination in specific areas (that can't be isolated) won't work.

Even on an island it didn't work.

I wonder whether they're just throwing out só many press-releases that nobody can make heads or takes of it anymore. With so much contradiction and widely differing numbers, that no-one can see what is really happening.

It's the saturation point of takeup in an area that's going to give the %.. so all these predictions of each area will be safe for reopening I don't think is anywhere near true.. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Speed up? Why then people have to wait 3 month to get their 2nd shot if they get vaccinated with Astra in Pattaya? Thai and foreigner!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Speed up? Why then people have to wait 3 month to get their 2nd shot if they get vaccinated with Astra in Pattaya? Thai and foreigner!

Be honest the AstraZeneca can be administered from 3 weeks up to 12 weeks

I have read that 8 weeks is the optimum time (sweet spot) this has given the highest amount of antibodies over a 6 month period.. but data changes regularly so may have changed again

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

I have read that 8 weeks is the optimum time (sweet spot) this has given the highest amount of antibodies over a 6 month period.. but data changes regularly so may have changed again

Yes, 8-12 weeks intramuscularly as per research backed manufacturer advice.

But still no official word re: 20% booster subcutaneously, which basically means "NO". And no supplemental details from that hospital where they did/do the empirical study either...

• Like 3

It is going to go OK, or it is going to be a disaster - I cannot see anything in between happening. They are finally starting to get a grip on things and then they loosen up the reins.  All this re-opening happening across the country is only because the PM said back in June that they will be open in 120 days, so everyone is racing ahead to get things going.  This one decision could be the make/break moment for PM - if it all goes OK he will be thanked for taking the risk, but if it all goes 'pear shaped' then they will be desperately trying to cover up the numbers of new cases and infections - but his reign will be effectively over.  I am not sure he realises this though, but maybe he does and realises he has nothing to lose. Whatever happens, the reality is that the decisions being made now to open are based on politics and money, not health and welfare. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Malc-Thai said:

They give dates minimum 3 month and there is no choice. But the point was about to speed up and how it can be possible with 3 month to speed up for get vaccinated til November?!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stardust said:

They give dates minimum 3 month and there is no choice. But the point was about to speed up and how it can be possible with 3 month to speed up for get vaccinated til November?!

I've got friends in hat yai and they both had their 2x AstraZeneca 3 weeks apart.. this is what makes no sense in different areas different advice per area 

Is being too poor to eat and feed your family not poor?  20% of GDP came from tourism...so a lot of people are hurting.  Covid is way overblown.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

"Pattaya is also vaccinating people who haven’t been listed as residents as well as foreigners and migrants to ensure everybody is protected.”"

I think, with a hint of trepidation(!), that it is a good idea for Patts and the rest of the country to re-open; the economic damage needs to be addressed to the point that I don't think that there is much of a choice anymore. To those that think everyone needs to be shot first, I can't say that you are wrong, but in my view the economic damage has reached a point that substantial risk is called for; perhaps we can agree to disagree. 

One very big worry is that a very large number of people who worked in Patts went home to sit out Covid, and they will be returning unvaccinated. I hope that the Mayor and all officials will take that into consideration; vaccinating local residents is a good, good thing, but you have to do the returnees as well or it'll all fall apart.

Good Luck!

I can understand how at some point people will be asking to reopen as the economic impact is just too much to take. Instead of stating the obvious opposite case of health issues (which I know you support), I would like to know what is meant by economic impact? You see, my understanding is that Thailand’s debt to GDP is running around 65% (or so is claimed?). Yet other countries such as the U.K. is 109% as a result of support to businesses and people. Overall, the West and major Asian economies are running up debt of around 140% of GDP. I also understand that servicing these debts is far cheaper for developed economies than it is others.

We are also told, by the Thai central bank, that the Thai foreign reserves are still in the hundreds of billions of dollars and that the economy is still in good health and will rebound. We are also told that exports are increasing and the industry is in good shape. The Thai baht is still relatively strong and healthy against many major currencies.

So I have to ask. Is Thailand really in such an economic mess or are they simply sacrificing the Tourism industry and those who work in it? Why are they not spending more and borrowing more, rather than claiming they have no choice due to the economic impact? 

Something simply doesn’t stack up to me. This still feels like a government who simply doesn’t want to use the peoples own money for the people? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

I've got friends in hat yai and they both had their 2x AstraZeneca 3 weeks apart.. this is what makes no sense in different areas different advice per area 

I guess it is not as a advise it seams more it is because they not have enough doses, but then to talk about they should to speed up is quite a insult to all people.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Good Luck!

That exactly what happened in Phuket and at first if the were not registered in a tabian bann here in Phuket they couldn't get a vaccine

• Like 1

I'm sure it will be fine. They're not going to be a sudden influx of people traveling into Thailand. 

Maybe a slight increase, and as has been shown by the Phuket SB the numbers of people testing positive were very small anyway 

5 hours ago, Malc-Thai said:

And why only Pattaya are they accelerating vaccines how about hua hin, Chiang Mai etc etc!  And remember AstraZeneca here they are going the full 3 months between doses so how again will they get 80% fully vaccinated.. even in phuket they still haven't reached the 70% ! Mainly due to people just not wanting it..or the vaccines offered..these percentage figures the government keep spouting will be different in each are due to the takup in that area 

i guess someone need to shift priority from Phuket to something new, Pattaya is a great choice, cause it would never fail, never never ever!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

I can understand how at some point people will be asking to reopen as the economic impact is just too much to take. Instead of stating the obvious opposite case of health issues (which I know you support), I would like to know what is meant by economic impact? You see, my understanding is that Thailand’s debt to GDP is running around 65% (or so is claimed?). Yet other countries such as the U.K. is 109% as a result of support to businesses and people. Overall, the West and major Asian economies are running up debt of around 140% of GDP. I also understand that servicing these debts is far cheaper for developed economies than it is others.

We are also told, by the Thai central bank, that the Thai foreign reserves are still in the hundreds of billions of dollars and that the economy is still in good health and will rebound. We are also told that exports are increasing and the industry is in good shape. The Thai baht is still relatively strong and healthy against many major currencies.

So I have to ask. Is Thailand really in such an economic mess or are they simply sacrificing the Tourism industry and those who work in it? Why are they not spending more and borrowing more, rather than claiming they have no choice due to the economic impact? 

Something simply doesn’t stack up to me. This still feels like a government who simply doesn’t want to use the peoples own money for the people? 

As always, a thoughtful post, Mr Dog, especially the last two paragraphs.

I am not an expert on the Thai national economy, although I could probably blag my way through a chat in a bar if the bartender was both quick and heavy-handed; perhaps another member has more of a background in the macroeconomic field (if any one does, please post; I'd love to hear from someone who really understands it all). I do know that the Thai establishment was deeply scarred by the crisis in '97 and tends to fear debt a wee bit more than they should, but that is understandable. I think that there is a certain arrogance and distain for the poor on behalf of the ruling class; 'if they were good people, they wouldn't be poor, would they?'. I also think that there simply aren't the mechanisms available to reach down to the neediest people in Thai society and help them; many poor people don't have national ID cards, nor bank accounts, nor are registered as 'poor', nor able to navigate the Thai bureaucracy to access help when needed. Finally, the Thai State isn't structured well; there is a historical tendency to provide funds to the 'Local Big Man' who in turn distributes them around (for a cut), usually in return for support of the elite. Last but not least, I would just mention corruption. Many years ago, by a series of one-off weird flukes, I had lunch with the Under-Secretary of Education in Indonesia, a man who controlled a budget of hundreds of millions. He said to me, in the certain knowledge that I couldn't quote him, that if he wanted to send 1,000$ (for example) to a small village in an outer island, he budgeted 10,000$ and assumed that 9,000$ would be stolen along the way. That was Indonesia, but I think we all would believe it were it set in Thailand.

I see street-level economics. I see many sleeping rough. I know many poor Thais, and they are hanging on by a thread (I help as I can, and I am certain others on here do as well). I know that petty crimes are on the increase, something which is a leading indicator of hardship. In sum, I see the working poor in my area and they are not able to withstand another missed season, but they also don't have many skills and can't really transition to another job (a beach-seller doesn't suddenly become a middle-manager of a multi-national company). If some sort of economic rebound doesn't occur, they are all f****d. Seriously, seriously F*****d.

So, the government is re-opening; in my view, they have to.

That is about all I can say. If economic activity doesn't re-start, I think it will be worse than Covid, much worse. And, even harder to repair later.

I have no idea if it'll work (the re-opening) and I understand the health risks, but if people don't start getting cash in their pocket soon, it'll be the Zombie Apocalypse; I don't think that they can survive another high-season without tourists.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can put all this into a more coherent post.

11 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

i guess someone need to shift priority from Phuket to something new, Pattaya is a great choice, cause it would never fail, never never ever!

Phuket will lose possibly 50% of the shrinking numbers now they only have a 7 days sandbox.. returnees can move out faster to their homes.. sadly I can't find details on number or actual tourist that have gone home.. it was 10k after 2 months of 28k that entered.. oh and 20% surveyed were not happy

Edited by Malc-Thai

Just now, Malc-Thai said:

Phuket will lose possibly 50% of the shrinking numbers now they only have a 7 days sandbox.. returnees can move out faster to their homes.. sadly I can't find details on number or actual tourist that have gone home.. it was 10k after 2 months of 28k.. oh and 20% surveyed were not happy

give TAT a call at 02 250 5500, they have all latest numbers for sure

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

give TAT a call at 02 250 5500, they have all latest numbers for sure

Lottery numbers may be 😆

5 minutes ago, gummy said:

Lottery numbers may be 😆

don't give Thais wrong idea, i don't think there were any miracles in Thailand lately to drive ticket sales. it may jam TAT lines

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

As always, a thoughtful post, Mr Dog, especially the last two paragraphs.

I am not an expert on the Thai national economy, although I could probably blag my way through a chat in a bar if the bartender was both quick and heavy-handed; perhaps another member has more of a background in the macroeconomic field (if any one does, please post; I'd love to hear from someone who really understands it all). I do know that the Thai establishment was deeply scarred by the crisis in '97 and tends to fear debt a wee bit more than they should, but that is understandable. I think that there is a certain arrogance and distain for the poor on behalf of the ruling class; 'if they were good people, they wouldn't be poor, would they?'. I also think that there simply aren't the mechanisms available to reach down to the neediest people in Thai society and help them; many poor people don't have national ID cards, nor bank accounts, nor are registered as 'poor', nor able to navigate the Thai bureaucracy to access help when needed. Finally, the Thai State isn't structured well; there is a historical tendency to provide funds to the 'Local Big Man' who in turn distributes them around (for a cut), usually in return for support of the elite. Last but not least, I would just mention corruption. Many years ago, by a series of one-off weird flukes, I had lunch with the Under-Secretary of Education in Indonesia, a man who controlled a budget of hundreds of millions. He said to me, in the certain knowledge that I couldn't quote him, that if he wanted to send 1,000$ (for example) to a small village in an outer island, he budgeted 10,000$ and assumed that 9,000$ would be stolen along the way. That was Indonesia, but I think we all would believe it were it set in Thailand.

I see street-level economics. I see many sleeping rough. I know many poor Thais, and they are hanging on by a thread (I help as I can, and I am certain others on here do as well). I know that petty crimes are on the increase, something which is a leading indicator of hardship. In sum, I see the working poor in my area and they are not able to withstand another missed season, but they also don't have many skills and can't really transition to another job (a beach-seller doesn't suddenly become a middle-manager of a multi-national company). If some sort of economic rebound doesn't occur, they are all f****d. Seriously, seriously F*****d.

So, the government is re-opening; in my view, they have to.

That is about all I can say. If economic activity doesn't re-start, I think it will be worse than Covid, much worse. And, even harder to repair later.

I have no idea if it'll work (the re-opening) and I understand the health risks, but if people don't start getting cash in their pocket soon, it'll be the Zombie Apocalypse; I don't think that they can survive another high-season without tourists.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can put all this into a more coherent post.

Great post @Shade_Wilder and much of which I also observe and agree with.

I have said many times that corruption is the biggest scourge in any society. At one level you can write it off as a bad person just taking a cut. But when you stop and really think what it does, it is truly an appalling crime. I wonder how people who often profess to be religious or follow a particular faith, can so easily engage in such practice. Do they not also think their payback awaits them? Or are they so arrogant they believe that a previous well lead life places them in a position to steal money without penalty in the future life they profess to believe in? 

I consider the opening is nothing more than a gamble. I think they are banking on a natural rise and fall in waves of infection. If vaccination rates were higher I would feel confident they can get away with this gamble. However, right now, it feels like 50/50 at best. I sincerely hope for all of the Thai people the gambles pays off.

It can be tough sometimes living in such an unfair society and seeing the pain of many as a result of greed by the few. 

• Like 2

Vaccines are not the solution and they can vaccinate 100% of the people in Pattaya but it won't make any real difference. Tourists will not digest the quarantine and testing, all ludicrous if vaccines are so good, and will not come in any significant volume if bars, clubs and nightlife remain shut. Wake up!!

• Like 1