News Forum - PM Prayut eyes 1 million “high-quality tourists” in his Phuket transformation

Thaiger

3 hours ago, Pierre said:

Must admit that even though we are longing to get back and visit Thailand it won't happen before we can be just as free as in our own country.

• To be free to go where we want to when we want
  • To eat and drink when, where and what
  • To not wearing that freaking mask in 35 degree heat (sadly we don't have these temperature here in scandinavia)

Must admit that when all corona restrictions was dropped here in beginning of September one really appreciate the freedom we had before corona.

• Not wearing masks at all (Though we only had to wear them in public traffic and shops during restrictions)
  • No corona passport or testing to go to restaurants
  • Able to get a massage, haircut

You're free in your own country? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Yes, and he's got a great world-class car for sale as well!

rust-car-off-road.jpg

Great car in their day the old Renault 12, unlike the PM. The man is dilusionanl!

Still, it's not my country, not my people and not my problem. 

The Thaiger should show him the comments section of this Forum, he might  find a clue or two.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Wow, you hit the nail on the head about the Caribbean 

Very relevant to the last few posts

I want a beach holiday in December but we have my nephew's wedding 

So I can't chance going outside the country and testing positive when trying to return 

So have decided on Puerto Rico or US Virgin Islands

Neither are my 1st choice, but I'm not whining, will just decide it I want to go

But I have not been impressed with St Thomas when doing my research! 

St John is nicer but still not overly impressed 

I spent a couple years in the Caribbean when I was living on my sailboat. From bottom to top:

USVI - just nothing

BVI - Killed by their own popularity

St Martin - "Why did we come here?"

Puerto Rico - especially the west and southwest of the main island and Culebra.

Former British Colonies - St. Vincent although the Grenadines are nice), St. Barts, Antigua, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, Domenica, Grenada. Everything after St. Barts would be arguably tied for the top spot.

French Overseas Departments (Except St. Martin) - Guadeloupe may be heaven.

1 hour ago, EdwardV said:

“working remotely, which is still currently not technically legal in Thailand.” - so the intent is to draw people to Thailand in order to break the law? Besides the fact you rally can only attempt to draw high spending tourists. Keeping in mind they have even more options open to them than others. The first thing thailand needs to do it make it easier to visit and open entertainment and bars. Yes even high end visitors like to get out and have fun. 

They just came up with the new long-term visas targeting the "high-quality" people that they want. Not sure if they've been published yet.

So exhausted of thais and the PM dancing around what has always been obvious in the LOS

As Ive even heard thais say it--Money #1......and his "high quality" remarks remind us all of that

Thai translation is high quality means dress nice--Hisos and spend lots of money then get out....

As i say to tourists you will be treated as well here as you dress or present yourself...money is king here

I dress like a bum backpacker to show I have no money but and still offered happy massage daily and beer-whisky when i go in a shop for a iced tea......I tell folks my life in LOS is 2 things --beer and boom boom or as thais see me as wanting....I ride my bike daily and see the same girls outside the shops every day clapping at me like a dog and cat calling me....I ride with a whistle and give a toot or ring my bell as Im sick of saying No every day for the past decade....as they seem to think they will somehow change my mind...nope...still NO.

I try to have fun with it as it is what it is..I AM $$$$ to thais..nothing more..I am an opportunity to them and in most cases it all leads back to cash--baht--moola--$$$$$$...as does in most of the world....just try to accept it

I come from a "richer" country then them and its all they seem to see as im also asked daily about what is my job and where am I from, which I also try to play with....giving answers such as Im from Mogadishu, etc... 555

Is one of the many peeves of being the falang in LOS, but is par for the course, still beats the states imo...

Wish someone whould have just told me when I first arrived in 2008, its not easy being so Hansum in LOS :)

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, JamesE said:

I spent a couple years in the Caribbean when I was living on my sailboat. From bottom to top:

USVI - just nothing

BVI - Killed by their own popularity

St Martin - "Why did we come here?"

Puerto Rico - especially the west and southwest of the main island and Culebra.

Former British Colonies - St. Vincent although the Grenadines are nice), St. Barts, Antigua, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, Domenica, Grenada. Everything after St. Barts would be arguably tied for the top spot.

French Overseas Departments (Except St. Martin) - Guadeloupe may be heaven.

I like Puerto Rico

Love Old San Juan and the Sucare area(the most lively area I've been to in Latin America)

Just wouldn't be my 1st trip 

Have you spent time in the Bahamas?

Looking at Eluthera for maybe next year 

I like a bit more action but may hit it for a straight beach holiday

Looks amazing 

I've heard really good things about St Barts 

Edited by Marc26

55 minutes ago, BIGGLES said:

Great car in their day the old Renault 12, unlike the PM. The man is dilusionanl!

Still, it's not my country, not my people and not my problem. 

The Thaiger should show him the comments section of this Forum, he might  find a clue or two.

Hmmm... he might find a forum-member or two as well...

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I like Puerto Rico

Love Old San Juan and the Sucare area(the most lively area I've been to in Latin America)

Just wouldn't be my 1st trip 

Have you spent time in the Bahamas?

Looking at Eluthera for maybe next year 

I like a bit more action but may hit it for a straight beach holiday

Looks amazing 

I've heard really good things about St Barts 

A lot of time in the Bahamas. Eluthera is the best island (IMO). Trouble with the Bahamas is that it's only about the water so if you're an avid diver/snorker it's amazing. St. Barts was just a bit too upscale and highly regulated for my tastes. Seems like it was priced high only to keep the riff-raff (AKA: Me) out.

Did they even check if Russia hasn't put Thailand on a red list that would require travellers coming back from Thailand to Russia to quarantine?

• Like 1

I think this announcement by the PM is about as real at the photo you chose to lead this article🤣 But hey.....I would love to see funds spent to improve Phuket and if it create jobs, even better.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Marc26 said:

By the way, I know a few Thais who have travelled back and quarantined, in their home country.

Not a peep from them.....

But what frustrations should any tourist have none?

They are entitled to none.....

If they are OK with the restrictions of the country they want to visit, than go 

If not, stay home 

By they way, most of the people that are whining, their countries also have covid entry restrictions 

And I'd challenge your assertion that people are trying to get information 

Most are just whining 

There has been a few informative posts about people doing the process with barely no replies 

Those have been great information.....

I think you are misunderstanding what people are “whining” about. I read it that most aren’t complaining about the Covid restrictions. They are simply highlighting the remarks made by leading politicians and leading members of TAT, who simply think they can say and number and it will happen. They are complaining about the poorly thought through relationship between restrictions, planning, expected numbers and reality .

As you have said several times, and I agree with you, if you don’t like the restrictions then don’t go to Thailand. That is the point being made. Most, if not all of the tourists who would normally go to Thailand will simply choose not to. So how then, do the leaders of the country expect to get the numbers they are saying? Where is the understanding of the reality of the restrictions and what it is going to do to tourism? Where is the recognition that the 120,000 they said the Sandbox would attract resulted in less than 30,000? Where is the statement of the lessons learned by that failed project and failure to meet their own targets?  Simply put, there isn’t any and hence the complaints or “whining” as you call it. 

Thailand can keep its restrictions as they are for the next 6 months or 6 years, It is entirely up to them. But show some respect for thinking people and stop publishing “pie in the sky” numbers.

Tourists numbers at the level they are saying (that’s what this thread is all about) will not arrive!! Whine over! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Marc26 said:

By the way, I know a few Thais who have travelled back and quarantined, in their home country.

Not a peep from them.....

But what frustrations should any tourist have none?

They are entitled to none.....

If they are OK with the restrictions of the country they want to visit, than go 

If not, stay home 

By they way, most of the people that are whining, their countries also have covid entry restrictions 

And I'd challenge your assertion that people are trying to get information 

Most are just whining 

There has been a few informative posts about people doing the process with barely no replies 

Those have been great information.....

Keep in mind, this is what Farang do well - whinge and criticize and hardly offer any intelligent alternatives.

11 minutes ago, Rain said:

Keep in mind, this is what Farang do well - whinge and criticize and hardly offer any intelligent alternatives.

What is it you would like some intelligent alternatives for? I’d be happy to help. 

However, taking this topic of how Prayut is going to attract these high spenders. Can we see his plan first?  You see the problem with the real world is you can’t just want something and it gets delivered. You need a strategy. You then need detailed plans with targets and milestone achievements. Dates and costs of implementation. Otherwise it remains just a hope or a wish, at best a vision. 

Maybe he would like a few more wishful thinking ideas:

1. Thailand will become a fully functioning democracy where the military is not part of it’s government by 2023.

2. Thailand will reduce its corruption levels by 95% by 2025.

3. The Police will be reformed to stop corruption by 2024. 

4. Education standards will improve to be in the worlds top ten by 2024

5. Road fatalities will be less than 10 per day by 2022

6. Phuket to attract 1 million high-quality tourists. Oh hold on, forget that, he’s already used that one! 

Just made up nonsense without a plan and a budget to deliver.   

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I think you are misunderstanding what people are “whining” about. I read it that most aren’t complaining about the Covid restrictions. They are simply highlighting the remarks made by leading politicians and leading members of TAT, who simply think they can say and number and it will happen. They are complaining about the poorly thought through relationship between restrictions, planning, expected numbers and reality .
As you have said several times, and I agree with you, if you don’t like the restrictions then don’t go to Thailand. That is the point being made. Most, if not all of the tourists who would normally go to Thailand will simply choose not to. So how then, do the leaders of the country expect to get the numbers they are saying? Where is the understanding of the reality of the restrictions and what it is going to do to tourism? Where is the recognition that the 120,000 they said the Sandbox would attract resulted in less than 30,000? Where is the statement of the lessons learned by that failed project and failure to meet their own targets?  Simply put, there isn’t any and hence the complaints or “whining” as you call it. 
Thailand can keep its restrictions as they are for the next 6 months or 6 years, It is entirely up to them. But show some respect for thinking people and stop publishing “pie in the sky” numbers.
Tourists numbers at the level they are saying (that’s what this thread is all about) will not arrive!! Whine over! 

Well said.  I think the Thai authorities all suffer from the mental affliction called 'Picard Syndrome'.

image.png.89fa55752d784576192d11083dc41382.png

It is a genetic defect and sufferers of Picard Syndrome suffer a lifetime of this type of thinking whereby they think they can just say it and it just magically happens.  Eventually, just like Picard himself, they progress to Irumodic Syndrome, whereby they lose all contact with reality. 

image.png.c212ac774910d61a8d68d1279062fe76.png

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Eventually, just like Picard himself, they progress to Irumodic Syndrome, whereby they lose all contact with reality. 

Or simply just join a forum 😂😂

14 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Yet you feel the need to be on a Thai forum

I'm sure live or been to Thailand many times

I will never get this constant whining about Thailand from guys who are also obsessed with the place 

I've never seen it anywhere else in my life 

My family everybody has a Thai passport you clown.And you whining clown don't get it that the majority of Thais are fed up of the incompetent in charge and foreigners like you who advocat these embarrassement. What you want in Thailand if you not want that our country developp?!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Soidog said:

Yes soi dog this guy think he knows anything about Thais and people who living in Thailand. He knows nothing about the situation in Thailand or living in Thailand. Sure he is not living here but call the people who deserve better as whining people. He has no family or children here and doesn't know anything about their situation or worries. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Soidog said:

What is it you would like some intelligent alternatives for? I’d be happy to help. 

However, taking this topic of how Prayut is going to attract these high spenders. Can we see his plan first?  You see the problem with the real world is you can’t just want something and it gets delivered. You need a strategy. You then need detailed plans with targets and milestone achievements. Dates and costs of implementation. Otherwise it remains just a hope or a wish, at best a vision. 

Maybe he would like a few more wishful thinking ideas:

1. Thailand will become a fully functioning democracy where the military is not part of it’s government by 2023.

2. Thailand will reduce its corruption levels by 95% by 2025.

3. The Police will be reformed to stop corruption by 2024. 

4. Education standards will improve to be in the worlds top ten by 2024

5. Road fatalities will be less than 10 per day by 2022

6. Phuket to attract 1 million high-quality tourists. Oh hold on, forget that, he’s already used that one! 

Just made up nonsense without a plan and a budget to deliver.   

Good comment. This is also what the Thai people want and demanding and as everybody can see on the streets or in the social media. But some live in their bubble not understand any Thai.

• Like 2

Er, "High Quality"?

60 Billion Baht divided by a million 'workationers' = 60,000 Baht per person = an average of around USD1,800 a head.

I guess these fully vaxxed up visitors are not just coming for one week of quarantine(!), so at least 2 weeks = USD 900 max. per week or over a month = USD 60 per day.

Yes, that is really going to make up for the lack of 'low quality' tourists!!!

10 hours ago, Stardust said:

Yes soi dog this guy think he knows anything about Thais and people who living in Thailand. He knows nothing about the situation in Thailand or living in Thailand. Sure he is not living here but call the people who deserve better as whining people. He has no family or children here and doesn't know anything about their situation or worries. 

You sure do make a lot of assumptions for someone you don't know......

I looked back at all your posts, and I don't think you have ever made a positive comment, on anything, from what I can tell

I get you have family concerns, as I do as well, but if you find Thailand so dsyfunctional, why would you raise your children there? Go live somewhere else that operates more to your liking and gives them better opportunities then

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

You sure do make a lot of assumptions for someone you don't know......

I looked back at all your posts, and I don't think you have ever made a positive comment, on anything, from what I can tell

I get you have family concerns, as I do as well, but if you find Thailand so dsyfunctional, why would you raise your children there? Go live somewhere else that operates more to your liking and gives them better opportunities then

I guess you have not a Thai family and no relatives in Thailand. By the way my children born in Thailand and before the coup. And the the majority of Thais and especially the young generation worry about their country and the future. If you could read or understand Thai maybe you would understand a little bit more about. And by the way they are the future.

• Like 1