News Forum - Updated regulations on Thailand’s quarantine period for international arrivals

Thaiger

1 hour ago, tnes said:

I am on my 11th day of quarantine.  I have met the requirements and then some.  I don't want a refund, I want OUT!  What medical sense does it make?  None.  Compliance without consideration makes for very bad policy and law.  Certainly this is not a medical choice and this is what makes people (all people) lack confidence in the policy makers.  Dissappointing....

I’m sure the next few days will pass quickly. How has your experience been?  Are you in an ASQ hotel or using the Phuket Sandbox. It would be really good to hear from more people returning. I assume also you are not a “genuine tourist”? Hope you don’t mind me asking. 

20 minutes ago, Manu said:

I am in the middle of this paperwork madness as I am coming back next month. Knowing Thailand a little bit now, I knew that they will be announcing changes for October ...the last day of September.

Now what about the PCR tests? For 14 days, we were supposed to book 3 tests (and pay) in advance to be done during this period (thank god I have not yet). No mentioning of tests anymore... Does that mean no more tests during the 7 days?

Same boat as you. 

The articles coming out just add to the confusion rather than clear the fog.

So presumably the reported 'No Quarantine' date of November 1st is off the table and still to be confirmed ?

What would be really handy to possibly cut some ambiguity would be someone who has done the re-entry process (so COE, PCR, Quarantine, Insurance etc) to document the order they did it in, with any hiccups and where etc etc. Lessons learnt if any.

32 minutes ago, Manu said:

Yeap. The 1st October is in a few hours, no change yet on the COE registration website https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/regis/step?language=en

Just madness - so you need to show vax status for SHA but not AQ ? - you appear to need 3 PCR tests for SHA but not AQ? It doesn't mention at all the Bangkok (where most flights will land) to Phuket scenario so which criteria would that fall under?

It is insanity to think tourists will go through this - pure madness. I would love to be in the room with the people who dreamt this stuff up - their sheer stupidity would be fascinating to witness !

7 hours ago, morgas said:

So I am at my 3rd day of 14 as of 30/09 fully vaccinated with all paperwork in order. My thoughts are do I get to have a reduced quarantine time or do they not really care and made no plans for those people like me.

You were too excited before until they reduced the quarantine to 7 days

5 hours ago, Jason said:

Did I read that right.... that unvaccinated tourists can enter (as long as they do 10-14 days quarantine??). How?? The basis for every other country in the world is that travellers by plane are all fully vaccinated and PCR tested prior to departure....

I hope they test before flying.
I don't want to sit in a plane for hours together with untested/unvaccinated persons. If I don't catch covid from them, there is still a chance of the whole plane going in Quarantine on arrival.

• Like 1

Lets see how many Tourists turn up and what figures go through the Airport not some figures plucked up after breakfast in the TAT office.  When are they going to get it through there thick uneducated heads that we i.e Tourists will not jump through stupid rules.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, morgas said:

AP never worked for me in both my phones so not a problem there 😂

I think once after you arrive at the airport & you get all the documents they required including COVID-19 test. You have to download the tracking apps to your phone & make sure your I-phone works in Thailand

8 hours ago, Benroon said:

I would love to be in the room with the people who dreamt this stuff up - their sheer stupidity would be fascinating to witness !

I totally agree. However, it’s likely that there isn’t much in the way of exchange of ideas and open debate. It’s likely the most senior person talks. Everyone else either keeps quiet or nods in agreement. Anything a person feels is not right probably goes unsaid. Any idea which is an improvement on what the “boss” just said is not spoken. I think most of us would find such a scene utterly bewildering.

I’ve been in business meetings in Thailand and it’s a very very different way of operating. I found it almost impossible to get fresh ideas or opinions while as a line manager I was in the room. Most of the work is done either before or after the meeting and meetings become briefings for team members. I think that’s why we often see something being said one day and then changed or contradicted the following day?

The good thing is that reality bites and forces the hand of change. The Thai authorities will get there eventually and then claim it was all part of a well orchestrated plan. Just as they have with the vaccination roll out. 

• Like 1

Well, we've been wanting to return since we left right before the travel restrictions were imposed last year. Got all exicted a couple times, started gathering items for O/OA visas. But - more restrictions, so, decided to wait. Excited again, started gathering items for visas again. So far, spent almost $150 on 3 background checks since last year. Today, said hell with it, Just booked for a Jamaica holiday. Need to go somewhere for a while. Hopefully by Nov-Dec- Jan the remaining requirements will be lifted and we can come back "home"...

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Alavan said:

I hope they test before flying.
I don't want to sit in a plane for hours together with untested/unvaccinated persons. If I don't catch covid from them, there is still a chance of the whole plane going in Quarantine on arrival.

Most of us know by now that being vaccinated doesn’t stop you contracting Covid-19, it simply makes your symptoms a lot milder. That’s assuming you have any symptoms at all. Furthermore even if you’re vaccinated and you do catch Covid-19 your viral load is similar to those who are unvaccinated, making transmission equally likely. Vaccination only helps to protect YOU and make your symptoms, if any, milder. It doesn’t stop you transmitted the virus to anyone around you whether you’re vaccinated or not. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Leeshard said:

Most of us know by now that being vaccinated doesn’t stop you contracting Covid-19, it simply makes your symptoms a lot milder. That’s assuming you have any symptoms at all. Furthermore even if you’re vaccinated and you do catch Covid-19 your viral load is similar to those who are unvaccinated, making transmission equally likely. Vaccination only helps to protect YOU and make your symptoms, if any, milder. It doesn’t stop you transmitted the virus to anyone around you whether you’re vaccinated or not. 

Please do not misinform! That was true( viral load) only in some studies with the delta variant. But there are also conflicting studies that say the opposite. Non actually knows for sure yet!

reply to andyn,i know how you feel.i too have been away since march 2020.hopeing to get back soon over this last year and a half. coming up on two years soon.i had started to get all my o/a visa papers ready then hit a wall!!the required insurance has stopped me a  others i know.for one thing all the guys im talking about have insurance that pays even in other countries.but thai dont accept it.and we are all 75 plus years.so the thai company wont even sell us the insurance. looking at any and all sites i have found no way around this.so maybe this will be changed soon.i hope soon as most of the guys have started looking at giving up and going some where else.i have a gf in thai we have been together over 12 years.and its breaking our hearts to be apart this long.i hope the  people working on  visa requirements will look at that cost as well.so that insurance requirement they have now is blocking ,many,many people from coming back.why not drop it and just charge a set fee on arrival that we can pay thats put into a medical  account.charge  according to how long the stay.like usd 100 for 30 days,200usd /60 days, 300 for 90 days,500 for 6 months and 800 to 1,00 per year.if all in coming  to thailand paid this on arriving it would over  take care of and cost on covid for any . and the fund/pot  would grow  year after year.as most would never use it by being fully vaccinated before they can enter.just an idea.thanks for reading/and i wish all to be safe and happy travels. farang.

2 hours ago, morgas said:

Please do not misinform! That was true( viral load) only in some studies with the delta variant. But there are also conflicting studies that say the opposite. Non actually knows for sure yet!

Therefore you simply cannot assume that your viral load is reduced because you have been vaccinated or assume that the people you come into close proximity with are any safer than they were before. Where is the misinformation??

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Leeshard said:

Therefore you simply cannot assume that your viral load is reduced because you have been vaccinated or assume that the people you come into close proximity with are any safer than they were before. Where is the misinformation??

Research shows up to 40% less transmission from vaccinated people.

But the problem is that it is unmanageable.

If you assume that you're safe with a vaccinated carrier at 2m distance in a well ventilated area, but that person sneezes in your direction, you are at high risk.

If you worry about an unvaccinated carrier at 2m distance in a well ventilated area who keeps to themself, you're most probably fine.

So for the purpose of risk, you can't differentiate too much as nobody can assess every individual. And that's why we all need to be careful with preventative measures and limit unnecessary movements until people had a chance to get vaccinated.

2 hours ago, farang said:

reply to andyn,i know how you feel.i too have been away since march 2020.hopeing to get back soon over this last year and a half. coming up on two years soon.i had started to get all my o/a visa papers ready then hit a wall!!the required insurance has stopped me a  others i know.for one thing all the guys im talking about have insurance that pays even in other countries.but thai dont accept it.and we are all 75 plus years.so the thai company wont even sell us the insurance. looking at any and all sites i have found no way around this.so maybe this will be changed soon.i hope soon as most of the guys have started looking at giving up and going some where else.i have a gf in thai we have been together over 12 years.and its breaking our hearts to be apart this long.i hope the  people working on  visa requirements will look at that cost as well.so that insurance requirement they have now is blocking ,many,many people from coming back.why not drop it and just charge a set fee on arrival that we can pay thats put into a medical  account.charge  according to how long the stay.like usd 100 for 30 days,200usd /60 days, 300 for 90 days,500 for 6 months and 800 to 1,00 per year.if all in coming  to thailand paid this on arriving it would over  take care of and cost on covid for any . and the fund/pot  would grow  year after year.as most would never use it by being fully vaccinated before they can enter.just an idea.thanks for reading/and i wish all to be safe and happy travels. farang.

Sadly you could be waiting a long time before Thailand drops the requirement  for Covid19 insurance for international tourists if indeed it ever does. It may well become a permanent feature of travel to Thailand and if you ever want to see your gf again you should probably think about bringing her to your home country.

21 hours ago, morgas said:

So I am at my 3rd day of 14 as of 30/09 fully vaccinated with all paperwork in order. My thoughts are do I get to have a reduced quarantine time or do they not really care and made no plans for those people like me.

They may charge you for the 14 days and let you go on parole.

24 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Research shows up to 40% less transmission from vaccinated people.

But the problem is that it is unmanageable.

If you assum that you're safe with a vaccinated carrier at 2m distance in a well ventilated area, but that person sneezes in your direction, you are at high risk.

If you worry about an unvaccinated carrier at 2m distance in a well ventilated area who keeps to themself, you're most probably fine.

So for the purpose of risk, you can't differentiate too much as nobody can assess every individual. And that's why we all need to be careful with preventative measures and limit unnecessary movements until people had a chance to get vaccinated.

Assuming you include international tourism as an ‘unnecessary movement’ you can hardly claim that the Thai authorities are trying to fulfill that particular goal!! Furthermore the archaic system whereby Thai people have to be registered on their family’s tabian baan in some far flung province hundreds of miles from where they actually live or work means that they often have to take 7-12 hour interprovincial bus journeys in order to get vaccinated in their home province. 

34 minutes ago, billywillyjones said:

They may charge you for the 14 days and let you go on parole.

I just spoke with Thai embassy in my resident they say quarantine is 7 days for vaccinated persons as long as it was declared in COE even if you traveled before 01/10 but my hotel insisted it is 10 days .....

21 hours ago, TV7 said:

This COE thing is a no go for the normal tourists. Normal tourists talk to each other during dinner at home and say: "he, lets fly to Phuket for 10 days next week and have some fun..." Reality is that it takes a sh*t load of paperwork to get here. Not interesting for the average tourist. Staying in a SHA+ hotel isn’t the problem; tourists stay in hotels anyways. A mandatory test every 3 days is also not a problem. The - and I repeat myself - COE is. Get rid of that and you will see some spontaneous tourist deciding last minute that Phuket might be an option.

I don’t think you’ll see many, if any, spontaneous tourists from the UK deciding that Phuket might be an option at the moment. While Thailand is on the UK red list, returning, fully vaccinated tourists, must isolate for 10 days in a government designated facility, at a non-negotiable £2,285 for a single person.

That is a far greater prohibiter than any testing or isolation protocols on arrival in Thailand

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Leeshard said:

I know that, but if I fly to Thailand I want it as safe as possible and with the least chance of getting sick, or being quarantined because some person on the plane tested positive.
I am happy sitting in my (rented) house near the swimming pool and read a good book, and some nice food in the evening.