My food seller likes to lick the food she sells. Does your favorite vendor lick your food? How would you know?

OneAngryJew

10 minutes ago, Yinn said:

I don’t know.

you imagine that. 

Have you check Alzheimer’s? 

please quote me, use the quote feature, not make my quote yourself. Lie.

I not eat pla raa. Issan food from freshwater fish. Ranong have seafood, is better.

i do eat somtam, but Somtam thai. I know you will not know so I will explain = Is Somtam not have pla raa. 
many different type of somtam. More than 20.

My favorite is somtam thai kaopord kai kem. = Somtam Thai style with corn and salted egg. 
You say you cooking yourself. Try it. Make for your wife and kid. 

Not forget taste it before serving. Lick the spoon.

He might have Coxsackie virus not just Alzheimer's.  It's common in agricultural areas.

3 hours ago, Transam said:

Don't be confused in my case, I came here mainly for the climate, an all year round temperature that my bones like.

I most definitely did not come here for the food, I create all my own food, food from around the world, not food that is all overpowered with chilli's......🤭

i have the same opinion, came or rather was sent  here on business met Mrs and stayed now retired affordable house on the beach in a remote area... paradise.... Was easy to fly back regularly to UK to stop going mad here  

Now to Thai  food, i eat daily but its by no means a favourite compared to Middle eastern, Iranian  Turkish, Indian,, Pakistani Bangladeshi Uzbek  Yemeni (yes) Chinese English and French... its ok but I cant get exited about it

NOW Just typing the above is making my mouth water

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

One reason is, lets just say for one chili, they are not always the same spice consistency. And if you actually look, they may look like they are adding the same amount of ingredients every time but they are actually not and the slightest even a smidgeon of a table spoon will throw the taste off. They do not weigh the papaya, or slow down to make sure exact fish sauce, msg, plah-rah (fermented fish sauce), palm sugar, tomato, bean, chili, crab, lime, dry tiny shrimp, etc.

So even though it is an art it is not ever always exact as added as again the tiniest thing can throw it off, so it is needed to adjust appropriately. So this is why.

Oh, add as edit. they do not make it the same every time for each person as it is called out how they want it, ie; sweet, less sweet, more spicy hot, less spicy, more shrimp, no peanuts want the fermented fish sauce, not want. etc 

I much prefer my food to be slightly varied, even considerably varied each time , different every time, rather than exactly the same all the time , which is what you get when you get 7/11 meals , exactly the same every time .

I prefer some variety, a surprise , and I do think that the somtam food tasting is just for show , like pretending they are experts or professional food tasters . and the difference between perfect somtam and terrible somtam is one more squeeze of lemon and they need to ascertain by by tasting it .

8 minutes ago, Transam said:

Alzheimers, make up your mind, you tell us all the time here it's farangy menopause.....🤣

Must be difficult have both together. 

Be angry and frustrated, yelling

but forget why. 😂

Thailand have many type of food, Issan, Southern, Central, Northern. 

Another one I like, Malaysia noodle soup “Laksa”. You should try, you will love it. 

Not forget to Thankyou Yinn na.

thailand food famous for fresh ingredients, I think fresh taste better. Not have mould, etc. 

Thankyou show me Gordon Ramsay. I like his show. 555555555 Teach me about farang food style.

18 hours ago, Convert54 said:

Very true as to sharing of drinking vessels and dipping spoons. More likely to be connected to endemic hepatitis than covid which is primarily said to be a respiratory disease which despite the eating utensils involves a close gathering of people breathing on each other.

When a Chef taste tests food at cooking temps it is not as if they slurp it and run their tongue around the spoon or ladle. The opportunities to actually witness what happens in the "kitchen" are usually very minimal yet the majority of customers would assume trust. Yet  plenty of diners get  sick from such a dodgy shrimp salad which is highly unlikely had anyone preparing it  give a good suck on a shrimp to see if it was fresh or not!

Getting hepatitis from sharing eating utensils? Maybe if you use them for something other than eating.

There is a somtum restaurant my wife loves to go to near one of the universities here. One of the times we were there I noticed a rat running around near the dishes , then I noticed 2 more. Then i saw the chicken drinking out of the bucket the dirty dishes we piled up in. We continued eating our food but anytime she says do you want to get somtum I have to ask her... Is it going to be from the place with the rats and the damn chicken in the kitchen.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

He might have Coxsackie virus not just Alzheimer's.  It's common in agricultural areas.

Hmmmm. Another reason not kiss and shake hand stranger.
Wai is safe way.

i must tell all you guys. Thai cook also taste/lick when make TomYum etc.

In Thailand have a lot of pressure for balance the flavor perfect taste. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dooleygank said:

Is it going to be from the place with the rats and the damn chicken in the kitchen.

Not have cockroach?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

One reason is, lets just say for one chili, they are not always the same spice consistency. And if you actually look, they may look like they are adding the same amount of ingredients every time but they are actually not and the slightest even a smidgeon of a table spoon will throw the taste off. They do not weigh the papaya, or slow down to make sure exact fish sauce, msg, plah-rah (fermented fish sauce), palm sugar, tomato, bean, chili, crab, lime, dry tiny shrimp, etc.

So even though it is an art it is not ever always exact as added as again the tiniest thing can throw it off, so it is needed to adjust appropriately. So this is why.

Oh, add as edit. they do not make it the same every time for each person as it is called out how they want it, ie; sweet, less sweet, more spicy hot, less spicy, more shrimp, no peanuts want the fermented fish sauce, not want. etc 

Congratulations HolyCow

you win Yinn’s Post of the Day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

I only diarrhea when I eat falang food.  My system isn't adjusted to it. I don't it it often, but I did have Thai style homemade pizza last night. So far no problem

Keep us updated ....🤣

34 minutes ago, Fluke said:

I much prefer my food to be slightly varied, even considerably varied each time , different every time, rather than exactly the same all the time , which is what you get when you get 7/11 meals , exactly the same every time .

I prefer some variety, a surprise , and I do think that the somtam food tasting is just for show , like pretending they are experts or professional food tasters . and the difference between perfect somtam and terrible somtam is one more squeeze of lemon and they need to ascertain by by tasting it .

Actually the big differ of taste will be in the play-rah ( fermented fish mix sauce). These are no way ever the same and can easily make it or break the taste at times or just be middle of the road. If there is a delicious one then it makes it out of this world.  
The best in CM is actually made by a Kratoy who consistently has the best fermented sauce ever. Unfortunately he lives outside CM and only on special occasions will rent a temp stall to sell at malls. We look and buy from him every time, and will even go back everyday just to have it. If no fermented sauce they can be pretty close to the same except for do you like it sweet or salty (fish sauce) more lime or spicy, more dry shrimp etc. I prefer the other but the taste is how you call it out to who is making it. 

9 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

I prefer the other but the taste is how you call it out to who is making it. 

Do they lick it?

52 minutes ago, Sawarot said:

Getting hepatitis from sharing eating utensils? Maybe if you use them for something other than eating.

Hep A you certainly can. Hep B no. Hep A vaccination is a recommended for Thailand travelers.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Do they lick it?

Who? The Kratoy who makes the best somtum in CM?  Oh heavens i don't want to know that! Hahahaha.

Serious answer is no, they either take a little piece of papaya of the big or bigger mixing spoon with their fingers, eat and then wipe hands, or from the big spoon or they dump on to a little like soup spoon on to a and taste that way. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Do they lick it?

Anyway, if they taste it within reason and don’t tongue it or put it all they way into they mouth then it is not a problem. Most a Thai don’t dirty lick. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Actually the big differ of taste will be in the play-rah ( fermented fish mix sauce). These are no way ever the same and can easily make it or break the taste at times or just be middle of the road. If there is a delicious one then it makes it out of this world.  
The best in CM is actually made by a Kratoy who consistently has the best fermented sauce ever. Unfortunately he lives outside CM and only on special occasions will rent a temp stall to sell at malls. We look and buy from him every time, and will even go back everyday just to have it. If no fermented sauce they can be pretty close to the same except for do you like it sweet or salty (fish sauce) more lime or spicy, more dry shrimp etc. I prefer the other but the taste is how you call it out to who is making it. 

Leets see some photos then .

I made a new thread especially, didnt want to hear winney going on about being off topic .

You can post the photos of your somtam in that thread.

37 minutes ago, Convert54 said:

Hep A you certainly can. Hep B no. Hep A vaccination is a recommended for Thailand travelers.

I got hep A in 1991 after a trip to Thailand, at the time a Gamma Globulin vaccination with a 6 month booster ( now only 1 vaccination i believe ) was recommended for travel to Thailand . The company I worked for gave me the vaccination but forgot the booster.

Back in the U.K. the hospital immediately identified it as Hep A after I told them I had been in Thailand 6 weeks previously and suspected seafood ( in particular oysters I had eaten ) which had not been cleaned properly as the culprit .

1 hour ago, Convert54 said:

Hep A isn't a big worry. 80% of adults in developed countries have been infected most likely subclinical and 100% in developing countries. That's why hepatitis A is rare in those >30. HepB is commonly bloodborn, but it can be a std. Vaccines are OK but not critical for young travelers.

23 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Hep A isn't a big worry. 80% of adults in developed countries have been infected most likely subclinical and 100% in developing countries. That's why hepatitis A is rare in those >30. HepB is commonly bloodborn, but it can be a std. Vaccines are OK but not critical for young travelers.

Same same like covid then huh?  No problem to be infected and never mind the genuine possibility of permanent or lasting damage to organs such as the liver. Vaccinations? Pfft. The young are bullet proof ! ?

9 minutes ago, Convert54 said:

Same same like covid then huh?  No problem to be infected and never mind the genuine possibility of permanent or lasting damage to organs such as the liver. Vaccinations? Pfft. The young are bullet proof ! ?

No, but hep is a different disease and as such should be treated differently. The great number of hep A infections are subclinical, that means liver damage is not great enough to have signs or symptoms. It’s very common. Civid is a bigger threat and vaccines are critical. I need to add that therapeutics like monoclonal antibodies and antivirals are equally essential for effective control.

3 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

No, but hep is a different disease and as such should be treated differently. The great number of hep A infections are subclinical, that means liver damage is not great enough to have signs or symptoms. It’s very common. Civid is a bigger threat and vaccines are critical. I need to add that therapeutics like monoclonal antibodies and antivirals are equally essential for effective control.

Hmmm. Sub clinical liver damage  not significant ? Is that a medically qualified assertion? Very common. Sadly so is liver cancer and sclerosis scars exacerbated by alcohol intake in conjunction with Hep A.

I am and have not attempted to quantify importance of  either or any disease. Rather I would suggest that in any case of community disease that education aimed at the mitigation of transference  should supercede only therapeutics as a marketable solution. And I would think monoclonal antibodies and antivirals fall outside of the concept of nominal and accessible therapeutics.

30 minutes ago, Convert54 said:

Hmmm. Sub clinical liver damage  not significant ? Is that a medically qualified assertion? Very common. Sadly so is liver cancer and sclerosis scars exacerbated by alcohol intake in conjunction with Hep A.

I am and have not attempted to quantify importance of  either or any disease. Rather I would suggest that in any case of community disease that education aimed at the mitigation of transference  should supercede only therapeutics as a marketable solution. And I would think monoclonal antibodies and antivirals fall outside of the concept of nominal and accessible therapeutics.

Monoclonal antiviral are in use. Thailand has pretty good protocols that seem effective.

If you need qualifications on hep, I suggest asking a physician who specializes in liver diseases.

47 minutes ago, Convert54 said:

Liver cancer,  sclerosis plus liver infection all contribute liver failure. The liver is a large organ and can take a fair amount of abuse but it's all aclumulative. The liver is able to regenerate function after some infection, but not others.

I don't want to bore you with details you might not care about.

That said the liver is very important in many body function.

9 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Liver cancer,  sclerosis plus liver infection all contribute liver failure. The liver is a large organ and can take a fair amount of abuse but it's all aclumulative. The liver is able to regenerate function after some infection, but not others.

I don't want to bore you with details you might not care about.

That said the liver is very important in many body function.

It would seem you are working on the premise of possessing a degree of in-depth clinical and medical knowledge. Or adept at googling snippets of information in support of your stance. My personal occupational background has provided a reasonably good acquisition of medical knowledge over a wide range of endemic community diseases and the social impact they have.