My food seller likes to lick the food she sells. Does your favorite vendor lick your food? How would you know?

OneAngryJew

I saw at the opportune time, the som tom maker taste her product.  She used a spoon.  

Look at the picture. That spoon is used and reused all day.  

What would you do?

image.thumb.png.d55e0cf492600d9418d1e18b6bb60ee1.png

• Haha 1

I had a similar incident in a restaurant near where I live, I had ordered the soup and the waiter served it to me with his thumb in it, I said why have you got your thumb in my soup and he said "it's to keep it warm," I said why don't you stick it up your ar$€ then, and he said "I do when I'm in the kitchen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, 9S_ said:

Depends if this my food seller

Good thing all that silicone doesn't get in the way of her knife.

I've seen things that are not accepted, hygenically, in the West and as long as it doesn't seem like it's going to make me sick, I shake my head.

I tried complaining when I first got here, but all I got for my troubles was an unfocused gaze on the part of the restaurant employee until I stopped speaking.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

Good thing all that silicone doesn't get in the way of her knife.

I've seen things that are not accepted, hygenically, in the West and as long as it doesn't seem like it's going to make me sick, I shake my head.

I tried complaining when I first got here, but all I got for my troubles was an unfocused gaze on the part of the restaurant employee until I stopped speaking.

Yea true. I’ve rarely had flu or cold here. But the most common disease I’ve had sometimes many times a year are diarrhea or gastrointestinal problems. 

I always have a bottle of the flying white rabbit with me and a few charcoal pills. 

• Like 1

Sadly hygiene in food preparation is not strong point

Can you argue? not really! they are not educated enough  to see it,    very similar to littering

But here's a question would they lick a spoon in front of a hiso Thai,  but then again hiso Thais would probably not eat there or send staff

Despite the fast cars and shopping malls It still a 3rd world country you have to remember that

• Like 3

Som tam must balance the flavor. Sweet, sour, spicy, salty together.

Must taste food before sell it. Must be good. 

Not necessary with clown farang food. Is tasteless or basic taste. 

Exagerrated Thaibashing. She not “lick” the food. She taste it.

Hiso nonsense comment. Thailand is not Third World. 

Edited by Yinn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Yinn said:

I  love som tam 

29 minutes ago, poohy said:

Sadly hygiene in food preparation is not strong point

Can you argue? not really! they are not educated enough  to see it,    very similar to littering

But here's a question would they lick a spoon in front of a hiso Thai,  but then again hiso Thais would probably not eat there or send staff

Despite the fast cars and shopping malls It still a 3rd world country you have to remember that

It’s worse in western restaurants. Most Thai restaurant of stret food sellers cook in the open where you can see. Bigger restaurants esp western food cook in a kitchen that you can’t see.. It’s undoubtedly worse.

23 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Not necessary with clown farang food. Is tasteless or basic

You think farang food is tasteless.....?

I'm getting on the outrage bus already....!!😀

For clarification:

When I was five years old, I attended a Catholic convent school, & was forced to eat cold boiled onions.

Believe me Yinn, they were not tasteless:

They tasted, disgusting!!!

😂😂😀😀

100% true story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Faraday said:

You think farang food is tasteless.....?

I'm getting on the outrage bus already....!!😀

For clarification:

When I was five years old, I attended a Catholic convent school, & was forced to eat cold boiled onions.

Believe me Yinn, they were not tasteless:

They tasted, disgusting!!!

😂😂😀😀

100% true story.

I was exaggerating same the OP. McDonald’s is the clown food. 

i like Italy food. Wood fire pizza, not Pizza Company one. Spaghetti with seafood tomato.
I try England breakfast, not so good. Germany food, not so good.
Ribs farang style I like. Oven potato. 
Farang salad. Fish and chip.

Boiled onion? Add fish sauce, chili, lime, MSG, garlic and palm sugar. Peanut and dry shrimp. Can be ok. 

You miss the outrage bus already today. Is full with TAT story, Phetchaburi court hospital story.

Tomorrow will come again. I guarantee. Wheels on the bus go round and round. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Yinn said:

You make excuses for licking my food?  Her tongue licks the spoon that touches my food.  She licked my food. 

Thai bashing?  I think not. 

Perhaps you like some hepatitis with your Som Tam.  Not me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OneAngryJew said:

I saw at the opportune time, the som tom maker taste her product.  She used a spoon.  

Look at the picture. That spoon is used and reused all day.  

What would you do?

image.thumb.png.d55e0cf492600d9418d1e18b6bb60ee1.png

I don't know...........you get Thai food off the street(which I love) they are not exactly French Laundry

I feel you know what you are getting into...........

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

How many Michelin Star restaurants are in Thailand again ?

• Like 1

Hygiene is a big problem - I love thai food, I can outspice any thai I've ever met, however I've lost count of the times you have a fantasticly tasting thai food meal but when you get home you still have the shits ! and its down to poor hygiene.

I watched once a street vendor who sold really tasty food, wipe EVERYTHING down with the same cloth, all day all night the same cloth. It must have broken all world records for bacteria on one cloth, it could probably walk home on its own, and you will be eating that and then spending a few hours on the loo.

I use to eat a lot of street food until I saw this, (and of course year old oil being heated up each day by the old dear outside 7-11) !

Food fantastic, hygiene appalling

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I eat at more established/chain/international/mall restaurants because of this. When I lived near BKK airport I had some gastro problems, ever since I moved to central bangkok and only eat at restaurant chains/mall/grocery store/international restaurants I have yet to have any gastro issues.

Edited by dj230
  • Like 1

I've never bought street food in TH. On my very first walk in BKK, I saw a vendor preparing food alongside a drain, and immediately smelled the stagnant water from the drain. I've never been able to get rid of that sensory image since.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Here is the list

I don't really love fine dining all that much

But I would be interested in trying some of the Thai fine dining places to see their interpertation of Thai food

https://www.timeout.com/bangkok/news/michelin-guide-thailand-2021-121620

R-Haan looks great and maybe will try next time

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d14199978-Reviews-R_HAAN-Bangkok.html

So many idolize Gordon Ramsey  despite the fact he is no Chef but a very clever Restauranter! How many times  can anyone recall him abusing  his staff for not "tasting" their dish  ? Get real ! There multiple possibilities for bigger health issues in any kitchen than Chef tasting what they expect you to eat!

1 minute ago, JohninDubin said:

I've never bought street food in TH. On my very first walk in BKK, I saw a vendor preparing food alongside a drain, and immediately smelled the stagnant water from the drain. I've never been able to get rid of that sensory image since.

I couldn't imagine not eating street food in Thailand, or Asia in general

It is such an integral part of my visits to Asia

• Like 3