News Forum - Court rules for Health Ministry, calls dual pricing beneficial

Thaiger

46 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

EXACTLY!!!!!

39 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

PRECISELY!!!

Exactly! Precxisely! That's exactly and precisely what European countries already do, as well as Western countries like Australia!

Name any that don't charge non-residents and non-nationals more.

Any at all!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Stonker said:

But European countries do charge "foreigners", unless they're residents or taxpayers, in exactly the same way.

Name any that don't. Any at all.

England doesn't just charge them the full price, as Thailand does, but charges them an additional 50% more!

And Thailand charges 100% more for tier four.

Bet you baulk when you go to the hospital next time and the price has sky rocketed.

Beneficial

bĕn″ə-fĭsh′əl

adjective

1. Producing or promoting a favorable result; advantageous.
  2. Involving the receipt of funds, property, or other benefits, as from an insurance policy or trust.

So there you have it the definition says it all.

45 minutes ago, Soidog said:

You are deluded and in denial if you don’t agree.

Sadly, you are the one most "deluded and in denial" as literally everything you've claimed on the subject on this forum is untrue.

Everything - not just on the rules here, but even the rules in the UK.

The Gov UK and NHS sites spelling it out could all be wrong, of course 😂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

I wonder what the international cout would say if European Union kicked out foreigners from e.g the Arabic or Asian countries or charged them twice the price at the hispitals and claimed  it was only done because it was beneficial for the European countries and definitely not a racist  decision 

A little Off topic, but the gist is the same.

The liberals and the  bias activist companies pretending to be news organizations in my country ,would  be in a uproar  if this happen to foreigners in the states.

This country has figured a way to get extra revenue via falangs .

Its always been baked in 

Edited by riclag
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Question ….

Fees start to climb significantly at the third tier for people on non-immigrant visas like working foreigners and expats and costs often skyrocket for the fourth tier which includes international tourists and those who are retired in Thailand. The case cited example dual pricing for antibody screening where the first two tiers pay 130 baht and the expat tier pay 190 baht, but the fourth tier for tourists and retirees pay double the original price. 

Isn’t someone retired in Thailand on a Non-immigrant visa?

Yes, but Tier 3 with a subsidy (but less than Tier 1 and 2) is for those working and paying taxes, while Tier 4 (for those retired) has no subsidy.

What's unreasonable about that, or different to any other country (apart from the countries that charge more than cost)?

24 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Exactly. It’s actually something worth bearing in mind. They will cheat each other, so what chance have foreigners got. I’ve been searching for years, but I think it’s what they fondly refer to as “Thainess”

You are right. However in my experience here, and that is approaching 40 years now , this duplistic term referred to as Thainess, affects the better schooled and of course the depraved elite. The shame is, something I noticed in my own business here employing Thais, is that those that had a deprived upbringing, given the opportunity of a good education, simply turned their backs on their own kind and pursed a path of selfishness. Now that was not all of course maybe only 50%, but it illustrates Thainess at its worst and even on forums such as this typical examples can be found.

42 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I don’t believe there is an official status in Thailand as “retired”. You are there as a “non-immigrant” with a type O visa. Your period of stay has been extended on the basis of retirement. Subtle use of words but import when it comes to legal matters. It can also change in the blink of an eye! 

Wrong, as usual on this subject. Retirees are here on a Non-Imm visa (O or AO) with a retirement extension of stay.

Few Western countries have retirement visas or allow for retirement status.

Edit:

..a nd that's not being argumentative or offensive, but very easily verifiably true abut anything you've claimed on this subject.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, palooka said:

Bet you baulk when you go to the hospital next time and the price has sky rocketed.

I won't. Because double the Thai price is still only roughly one quarter of the EU price. That's mainly why people fly here as medical tourists.

And we know about the tiers in advance.

If you can't pay it or you can't insure yourself, then go somewhere where you can. Or stay at home.

I don't agree with discrimination, but I also don't agree with entitlement or the right to be here and for Thailand to subsidise us.

• Like 3

The person who commented that Australia has dual pricing?? You haven't been to Australia. We have one price for all. It does pay to at least ask (when you are in Thailand) "Thai price na!" There's a chance they will comply out of courtesy. It worked for me. 

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

Splendid - the only rational outcome given not only Thai law but the identical system in Australia and most Western countries, and a system in the UK that doesn't just charge foreigners 100% of the full price, as Thailand does, but 150% of it.

Sheer and utter hypocrisy on the part of Erwin Buse and his entitled supporters.

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

Sheer and utter hypocrisy on the part of Erwin Buse and his entitled supporters.

Erwin Buse come to Thailand not need the visa. 
Impossible for Thai go his country without visa, impossible for many Thai go to his country unless marry farang. 
and if go there Thai must pay more. Sure. 

Now cry discrimination? 
pfffft 
Will Erwin now take his country court for discrimination Thai people? 
He just not pay for his traetment. Cheap Charlie.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

The person who commented that Australia has dual pricing?? You haven't been to Australia. We have one price for all. It does pay to at least ask (when you are in Thailand) "Thai price na!" There's a chance they will comply out of courtesy. It worked for me. 

Wrong, so wrong.

International students pay up to 400 per cent more than Australians when it comes to higher education. The reason, according to former neuroscientist Peter Osborne, has nothing to do with taxes and everything to do with enforcing national privilege.

link 

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/ockhamsrazor/why-are-international-students-charged-high-fees/6908188

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

• Most visas require overseas visitors to hold private health insurance during their stay in Australia.

https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/servicesandsupport/overseas-visitors-and-healthcare

You haven’t been to Australia?

i think if Thai ask “Aussie price na”

Aussie will say “na”.

Discrimination. Can I have 30 no visa holiday?  “Na”

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, palooka said:

No, that's totally untrue.

Thailand charges Tier Four the full price, without subsidies - NOT 100% more than the full cost which is what your post, having quoted mine, suggests.

34 minutes ago, palooka said:

It may well have done, since the Tier system is at the discretion of local hospitals and, like many other others, I have only ever been charged Tier One at the exact same rate as Thais whether at the local or the provincial hospital.

If it has "sky rocketed" then the only ones to blame will be Erwin Buse and those who have been stupid and ill-informe enough to support and encourage him.

10 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Erwin Buse come to Thailand not need the visa. 
Impossible for Thai go his country without visa, impossible for many Thai go to his country unless marry farang. 
and if go there Thai must pay more. Sure. 

Now cry discrimination? 
pfffft 
Will Erwin now take his country court for discrimination Thai people? 
He just not pay for his traetment. Cheap Charlie.

In the US we don't have dual pricing policy, but the list price is very high and usually doesn't apply. If you have no way to pay you get off not paying. If you have insurance there are heafty discounts. If a Thai goes to the US without insurance they pay through the roof. 

The prices in Thailand are quite reasonable even falang price. I guess it's hard for those who get tax payer health coverage to realize that someone has to pay. Why should Thais have to pay for foreigners who choose to live here without insurance? I think these are leeches on society. 

6 minutes ago, Stonker said:

No, that's totally untrue.

Thailand charges Tier Four the full price, without subsidies - NOT 100% more than the full cost which is what your post, having quoted mine, suggests.

The case cited example dual pricing for antibody screening where the first two tiers pay 130 baht and the expat tier pay 190 baht, but the fourth tier for tourists and retirees pay double the original price. 

My maths say double the original price is 100%

15 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Wrong, so wrong.

International students pay up to 400 per cent more than Australians when it comes to higher education. The reason, according to former neuroscientist Peter Osborne, has nothing to do with taxes and everything to do with enforcing national privilege.

link 

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/ockhamsrazor/why-are-international-students-charged-high-fees/6908188

US also charges foreign student more for education. It's no secret. 

Why are some falangs expecting special treatment? The costs are not high, and should be appreciated. 

"they benefit Thailand"

Of course all what is important.... another useless clown in the system that is a dirtbag. It is discriminating, let's charge all thais in foreign countries 200% because they earn more in a foreign country, thank you thailand gor once again showing how much you do nit give a shit about foreigners... good for your tourism campaign good for to mention and direct people to the TRUE NEWS.. and that will not benefit thailand... you digging your own grave with this bullshit, blame yourself.. for going down HARD..

By the way it dies not benefit much people go back to their home country because is cheaper and most if the time included in their retirement plan.... stupid recision makers do not know a thing about that.... because they will never have something like that.. 

Edited by Paco
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jason said:

That was me and you quoted me, and I happen to have both "been to Australia" and to have been born an Australian.

As @Yinn has already pointed out, Australia not only has dual pricing but has a very similar pricing system for Medicare as Thailand has (but three tiers instead of four) as I pointed out elsewhere to @AussieBob who was also unaware of the Medicare system in his own country:

On 9/26/2021 at 2:43 PM, Stonker said:

All Thailand did with the increases to charges in 2019 was to bring itself in line with what other countries such as Australia were already doing - except leaving hospitals the option to continue to subsidise foreigners.

Foreigners visiting Australia, including Thais, are  ALREADY "charged a higher fee for any Govt medical services that they are provided"!!!

Australia only gives emergency Medicare cover to visitors from eleven other countries with whom it has a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA), which doesn't include Thailand, and even that's only for emergency / essential treatment. Everyone else pays in full!

https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/servicesandsupport/overseas-visitors-and-healthcare

It may well be very fair to object to dual pricing under some circumstances, and I think it is, but the idea that Thailand has some sort of monoploy on this, particularly with health coverage, is either ignorance or hypocrisy.  Take your pick.

2 minutes ago, Paco said:

"they benefit Thailand"

Of course all what is important.... another useless clown in the system that is a dirtbag. It is discriminating, let's charge all thais in foreign countries 200% because they earn more in a foreign country, thank you thailand gor once again showing how much you do nit give a shit about foreigners... good for your tourism campaign good for to mention and direct people to the TRUE NEWS.. and that will not benefit thailand... you digging your own grave with this bullshit, blame yourself.. for going down HARD

In reality you probable bring very little that benefits Thai society.  Since medical services are supplemented heavily by the Thai government why should they pay your bills. Thailand provides excellent medical care at a reasonable cost, even tear 4 prices. If your unhappy it might be better to return home for care. Many do.

A couple of years ago I went "up north" with my lady friend and we hired a taxi for the day and came across the country residence of the late Kings mother. It was an absolute beautiful place in the mountains with a fantastic garden. Of course there was an entry fee. Yep Thais one price, me 200baht. I went for the wallet and the lady behind the glass said something to my friend. The lady asked if I was a pensioner and if I had a card with my age on it. Yep had my licence. So I got in for 60 baht. I would have been happy to pay I was more upset that I looked old🤣. Not all places do this but it was nice of the lady. Of course in Aus we do get pensioner concessions but when it's school holidays I stay home. Petrol goes up, flights go up, accommodation goes up, fast food outlets add "Sunday" prices same as do restaurants. If your getting the service you pay for it. If your getting the hospital treatment and it's helping with your problem, be happy, pay up. I would be happy that the extra I pay might go towards a Thai person getting treatment they need but can't afford.

• Like 2