News Forum - Thailand Top Stories | Same sex marriage, Restaurants serving alcohol | Sep 29

Thaiger

Caitlin gives us a covid update as well as all the morning headlines across Thailand and regional headlines around Asia: Army ranger allegedly shots and kills wife and mother-in-law, Bangkok and Ayutthaya prepare for potential flooding, Philippines Senate approves bill to raise age of sexual consent and Operator of seized oil tanker in Indonesia calls for crew to be released.

The post Thailand Top Stories | Same sex marriage, Restaurants serving alcohol | Sep 29 appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I do not attack the concept of same sex marriage, but I cannot understand why the Gay Community want such equality, when much of the rest of the world are coming to the conclusion that marriage is not the bed of roses that so many think it will be. The last time I looked, divorce rates were about 50% in the US, and 40% in the UK.

Nothing like failing to learn from others mistakes.

I've only ever been able to see two advantages gained through marriage. One is the laws applied to inheritance. For example, if you die intestate in the UK, the surviving partner inherits everything and the main family home is free of estate duty, regardless of it's value. Most countries that allow civil partnerships, have also changed their laws so that this right now extends to this group. 

The other is the legitimisation of children. A child born out of wedlock can become legitimate. In a day and age when so many children are born thus, do we really care about that status, unless of course you are very small minded? But again, there are plenty of jurisdictions where illegitimacy can be a bar to inheritance in intestacy cases. But of course, when you have so many same sex couples going down the route of IVF, where it is obvious that both parents can't be the real parents, how does that work? In adoptions, most countries treat the adopted child as if they were the legitimate offspring of the adoptive parents. 

So I question, what is the point of "same sex marriage"?

Edited by JohninDubin

1 minute ago, JohninDubin said:

I do not attack the concept of same sex marriage, but I cannot understand why the Gay Community want such equality, when much of the rest of the world are coming to the conclusion that marriage is not the bed of roses that so many think it will be. The last time I looked, divorce rates were about 50% in the US, and 40% in the UK.

I've only ever been able to see two advantages gained through marriage. One is the laws applied to inheritance. For example, if you die intestate in the UK, the surviving partner inherits everything and the main family home is free of estate duty, regardless of it's value. Most countries that allow civil partnerships, have also changed their laws so that this right now extends to this group. 

The other is the legitimisation of children. A child born out of wedlock can become legitimate. In a day and age when so many children are born thus, do we really care about that status, unless of course you are very small minded? But again, there are plenty of jurisdictions where illegitimacy can be a bar to inheritance in intestacy cases. But of course, when you have so many same sex couples going down the route of IVF, where it is obvious that both parents can't be the real parents, how does that work? In adoptions, most countries treat the adopted child as if they were the legitimate offspring of the adoptive parents. 

So I question, what is the point of "same sex marriage".

This has gone from hard fought battles for women's rights, to perhaps simply the drive to make everything equal to the max, as everything else is claimed to be discrimination? 

• Cool 1

9 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

So I question, what is the point of "same sex marriage"?

The institution of marriage appeared with private property to preserve inheritance. Also, if you are not legally married in the US - you might be denied access to your partner at the hospital, information will not be released to you, etc.

"Most ancient societies needed a secure environment for the perpetuation of the species, a system of rules to handle the granting of property rights, and the protection of bloodlines."