Thailand re-entry - Questions.

farang

5 hours ago, JamesE said:

The flight thing is visa dependent. If you come in as a tourist then the return flight is needed. If you come in long-stay then 1-way is okay.

A return or ticket out is only required by the airlines if your entering Visa exempt.
They don't request a return ticket if you have a valid Visa.

Whether the Embassy request a return ticket for certain Visa types is a different matter and varies.

• Cool 1

6 hours ago, BlueSphinx said:

A Visa provides you with a permission to stay on entering Thailand.  Once you have used a Single-Entry Visa it is void (consider it a single-use 'entry-ticket').  When applying for an extension of stay at your local Immigration Office, you are extending the permission to stay which was provided to you based on the valid Visa on which you entered Thailand.

You cannot 'extend' a Visa, you can only extend the permission to stay that Visa provided you on entry.

The confusion is due to the fact that Thai Immigration Offices, even in their official statements, use the term 'Visa' even when they are referring to permissions to stay.  The Thai Immigration Offices do not issue (nor extend) Visa.  The only exception being the 'change of Visa' process,  where they allow those that entered Visa Exempt or on a Tourist Visa, to apply in-country for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa.  And that Visa in your passport is immediately voided on issue and transferred into a permission to stay when they hand it to you. 

Great information and explanation there @BlueSphinx.  You also highlight something which often frustrates me about the whole visa discussion. If you go to any bar or restaurant frequented by expats, it won’t be long before you here the conversation turn to visas or immigration. In no time you hear people use terms like “visa on arrival” when what I think they mean is Visa exemption. Or you here people talk about a “Retirement visa” when what I think they mean is they have a Non-O or O-A who’s permission to stay is extended on the basis of retirement. At first it sounds petty to correct people. However, when it comes to really understanding the process; as you clearly seem to do, then terminology is vital.

Perhaps a regular weekly article on a particular visa type would be appreciated by forum members? Just a thought 😉

Thanks again for an informative post 👍🏻

• Thanks 2
  • Cool 1

6 hours ago, Faz said:

A return or ticket out is only required by the airlines if your entering Visa exempt.
They don't request a return ticket if you have a valid Visa.

Whether the Embassy request a return ticket for certain Visa types is a different matter and varies.

The problem I’m trying to find an answer to relates to extending my permission to stay. Normally I get a 60 day tourist visa and then pay 1900 baht to extend for a further 90 days. This means I book a return flight or a flight out of the country on day 88 or 89. However, it now seems that on application for the 60 day tourist visa, the embassy in London want to see an outbound flight. As technically the permission to extend my stay is “at the discretion of immigration” I’m concerned that presenting a ticket out on day 88 or 89 (outside of the 60 days for which the visa I’m applying for is valid) will result in the visa application being rejected. When the consulates were operating that was never a problem! 
I know there are options such as booking the return on day 59 and then changing the flight (hassle and cost). Or booking a one way cheap flight to somewhere in SE Asia and not using it (not always so cheap these days!)

there is no visa on arrival now, short times tourists will need this and no COE,

at Thai Embassy Berlin / Germany you have to wait 5 to 6 weeks before you will have an appointment for visa

Just now, satpete said:

there is no visa on arrival now, short times tourists will need this and no COE,

at Thai Embassy Berlin / Germany you have to wait 5 to 6 weeks before you will have an appointment for visa

you can do it online. no need for an appointment 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

However, it now seems that on application for the 60 day tourist visa, the embassy in London want to see an outbound flight.

Nowhere on the Thai Embassy website London, does it state a return ticket within 60 days is required to apply for a Tourist Visa. In fact it clearly states a one time 30 day extension is possible.

Required documents : 

Tourist visa (single entry) : for stay up to 60 days with possible one-time extension of 30 days)

1. Your passport copy 
  2. Travel booking confirmation
  3. Proof of accommodation in Thailand e.g. hotel booking, invitation letter from family or friend in Thailand (All tourists are subject to 15-day quarantined at ASQ hotels at their own expenses.)
  4. UK/Irish bank statements with sufficient fund to cover your trip to Thailand
  5. Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland (if applicants are not nationals of these countries) e.g. long stay visa, residence permit, BRP card
  6. Copy of health insurance policy which covers COVID-19 related medical expenses in Thailand no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand
    https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

Certain Embassies do request a return ticket for a TV application, but this is the first I've heard of the UK requesting one.

The airlines request a return/outbound ticket when entering VE, simply because if refused entry their not returning you at their expense. If you've met the requirements to obtain a Visa from a Thai Embassy, then the assumption is that you'll also meet the requirements for entry.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, farang said:

A number of posts from the topic News Forum - Thailand reduces quarantine to 7 days for fully vaccinated arrivals from October - Page 5 - Thaiger News - Thaiger Talk (thethaiger.com) have been moved to this newly created topic in the correct section.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i agree with  vlad,these restrictions need lifting.that insurance deal is crazy.most coming there have insurance already.but the embassy dont accept it.im hoping they lift the insurance and the coe.thats more un needed things to do and hassel with.and if youre 75 or over you cant buy the thai insurance any way.why not just charge all  coming into the country 500 to 1,000 or 5000 baht  on arrival depending on the stay.sell it right there at entry point.so im looking to return soon as these requirements are lifted.

i think the issue is when people get covid and go to hospital, dont pay and then leave the country leaving the hospital with the bill, thats what i read at least, don't quote me on that

it took about 5 minutes for me to get insurance, if you're 75 that's all the more reason for them to require insurance as they're at higher risk for complex treatment if they get covid

Edited by dj230

51 minutes ago, Ynwaps said:

you can do it online. no need for an appointment 

Applications for Visas on arrival are currently suspended.

(Not to be confused with entering Visa exempt)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Benroon said:

Out of interest do you know the going rate for the Covid insurance ?

You can obtain the Covid Insurance from any Insurance provider.
The Thai Embassies recommend the tgia website (Thai General Insurance association) partly due to the fact they offer cover up to age 90.

From the UK for 30 days Covid Insurance the fee is 4,800 baht.
Home - Covid 19 Insurance (tgia.org)

15 hours ago, JamesE said:
16 hours ago, Benroon said:

OK here's one for the technicians - say you go into thailand on an annual visa with only a couple of weeks left on it before you have to renew. 

Surely you could buy the 30 day cover (3k) as immigration won't know you're going to renew it right ? So you could just say you're going in for the couple of weeks that's left on your visa with no intention of renewing. Then you 'change your mind' and decide to renew it. No-one is going to come knocking to see if you've renewed it surely.

Won't work like that. You'll have to prove coverage for the maximum permitted stay under a visa, not merely until the visa expires. Good idea, but it won't fly.

That's not correct.  When you re-enter Thailand on a Re-Entry Permit protected permission to stay from your original 1-year extended Non Imm O or O-A Visa, you would only need to have the covid-19 insurance for the period for which you will be stamped in (i.e. the expiry date of that Re-Entry permit protected permission to stay).  So if you have say 5-6 weeks left before expiry of your permission to stay a 60-day covid-19 insurance would meet the requirement.

19 minutes ago, Faz said:

Nowhere on the Thai Embassy website London, does it state a return ticket within 60 days is required to apply for a Tourist Visa. In fact it clearly states a one time 30 day extension is possible.

Required documents : 

Tourist visa (single entry) : for stay up to 60 days with possible one-time extension of 30 days)

1. Your passport copy 
  2. Travel booking confirmation
  3. Proof of accommodation in Thailand e.g. hotel booking, invitation letter from family or friend in Thailand (All tourists are subject to 15-day quarantined at ASQ hotels at their own expenses.)
  4. UK/Irish bank statements with sufficient fund to cover your trip to Thailand
  5. Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland (if applicants are not nationals of these countries) e.g. long stay visa, residence permit, BRP card
  6. Copy of health insurance policy which covers COVID-19 related medical expenses in Thailand no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand
    https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

Certain Embassies do request a return ticket for a TV application, but this is the first I've heard of the UK requesting one.

The airlines request a return/outbound ticket when entering VE, simply because if refused entry their not returning you at their expense. If you've met the requirements to obtain a Visa from a Thai Embassy, then the assumption is that you'll also meet the requirements for entry.

Thanks for that @Faz  it was item 2 “Travel booking confirmation” I was eluding to. I take this to mean a return flight (although it’s odd you would pay an airfare before you get a visa?! If that does mean the air ticket, then I’m assuming they would question why I’m applying for a 60 day tourist visa but don’t have plans to leave until day 88 or 89. As I say, I’ve been doing this for literally years and never had any such problems at the consulate. I just wonder if anyone else has been down this path with the London Embassy? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Soidog said:

Thanks for this @JamesE .  It’s a nightmare navigating your way through this at the best of times. My normal routine is a 60 day tourist visa which I then extend by 30 days at a cost of 1900. I then take a short holiday to Malaysia or Vietnam and then come back in on a VE for 30 days. That way I stay for at least 4 months plus a short holiday elsewhere. Now I really am not sure which way to play it should I return early next year?  

I think the issue with the return flight relates more to the visa application. As I read it, if I want a 60 day tourist visa, I will need to show a return flight within that 60 day window. This was never a problem before as I explained above. I always got a 60 day tourist visa and they never asked for flight information.

As  things stand I may well leave it until March or April. This all needs to be much simpler, but appreciate these are difficult out times. 

Thanks again for your insight 👍🏻

When entering Thailand VisaExempt you will currently be stamped in for 45 days permission to stay (but when they shorten the 15-day quarantaine period, it is possible they will also shorten those 45 days - previously before quarantaine it was 30 days). 

When making use of the above VisaExempt entry option, you also do need an out-bound flight ticket.  Be aware that you do NOT need to enter on a return-ticket, you can use a one-way entry ticket and to meet the outbound-flight requirement simply buy the cheapest throw-away on-line ticket.  E.g. a one-way ticket Bangkok - Ho Chi Minh City or HuaHIn - Kualu Lumpur previously sold for approx 1.000 THB and can be booked on-line.

9 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Thanks for that @Faz  it was item 2 “Travel booking confirmation” I was eluding to. I take this to mean a return flight (although it’s odd you would pay an airfare before you get a visa?! If that does mean the air ticket, then I’m assuming they would question why I’m applying for a 60 day tourist visa but don’t have plans to leave until day 88 or 89. As I say, I’ve been doing this for literally years and never had any such problems at the consulate. I just wonder if anyone else has been down this path with the London Embassy? 

If you have any doubts email the Embassy beforehand.

Whether your applying for a Visa from a Thai Embassy, an extension of stay at Immigration, a Drivers licence at the DLT, or a Tabien Baan from an Amphoe, the only consistency with these government departments is the inconsistency of requirements.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Soidog said:

It depends in which country you apply for the 60-day Tourist Visa whether the Thai Embassy requires an out-bound flight before the end of the 60 days.  Afaik and according to their website, the Thai Embassy in London does NOT require a return-flight or out-bound flight when applying for the 60-day Tourist Visa.  But as FAZ wrote in case of doubt you can contact them for confirmation.

See also my post re out-bound flight requirements > https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/5902-thailand-re-entry-questions/?do=findComment&comment=70605 in case you consider to re-enter Visa Exempt.

4 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

When entering Thailand VisaExempt you will currently be stamped in for 45 days permission to stay (but when they shorten the 15-day quarantaine period, it is possible they will also shorten those 45 days - previously before quarantaine it was 30 days). 

Funny you should mention that @BlueSphinx.
As I was perusing some Thai Embassy websites yesterday I noticed on one of them that the 45 days currently granted for VE entries was only dated to Sept 30th, so quite possible from October 1st only 30 days will be granted on VE entry.

Damned if I can find it again now. 🥺

• Cool 1

5 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

When making use of the above VisaExempt entry option, you also do need an out-bound flight ticket.  Be aware that you do NOT need to enter on a return-ticket, you can use a one-way entry ticket and to meet the outbound-flight requirement simply buy the cheapest throw-away on-line ticket.  E.g. a one-way ticket Bangkok - Ho Chi Minh City or HuaHIn - Kualu Lumpur previously sold for approx 1.000 THB and can be booked on-line.

Thanks. I’m not looking to go down the VE route. I’ve always used the 60 day tourist option and then extend. It’s just this sudden addition of having to “Travel booking confirmation” when even applying for the 60 day tourist visa. As I mentioned in my reply to Faz, why would you book a flight prior to getting a visa? 

If there is any doubt, I will book with Emirates inside the 60 days, and then change the flight once I gain the 30 day extension. Just seems the wrong way around. Surely it’s visa first, then flight and hotels…..

2 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

The Thai Embassy in London does NOT require a return-flight or out-bound flight when applying for the 60-day Tourist Visa.

Sorry to be pedantic and thanks for your help, but how do you know this? The document Faz sent through was lifted from the London Embassy site and item 2 shows “Travel booking confirmation” as part of the requirements to apply for a 60 day-TV. If it’s not flights they are referring to in item 2, then what is it?

Thanks again and much appreciated. 

8 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Thanks. I’m not looking to go down the VE route. I’ve always used the 60 day tourist option and then extend. It’s just this sudden addition of having to “Travel booking confirmation” when even applying for the 60 day tourist visa. As I mentioned in my reply to Faz, why would you book a flight prior to getting a visa?

If there is any doubt, I will book with Emirates inside the 60 days, and then change the flight once I gain the 30 day extension. Just seems the wrong way around. Surely it’s visa first, then flight and hotels…..

Currently there are NO charges when changing the dates of departure/return when flying with Emirates, even in economy.  But indeed having to provide a flight reservation in order to apply for a Visa - with the risk of your application being denied - is indeed Thai logic (the world upside-down).

9 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Sorry to be pedantic and thanks for your help, but how do you know this? The document Faz sent through was lifted from the London Embassy site and item 2 shows “Travel booking confirmation” as part of the requirements to apply for a 60 day-TV. If it’s not flights they are referring to in item 2, then what is it?
Thanks again and much appreciated. 

You presume that 'travel booking confirmation' refers to a return-flight, but that's not what it says.  A travel booking confirmation can be your one-way in-bound flight.  Some Thai Embassies in other countries specifically require both an in-bound flight reservation and an out-bound flight reservation (the latter on a date before the expiry of your permission to stay). 

But do enquire at the London Thai Embassy if you are not sure...

5 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

You presume that 'travel booking confirmation' refers to a return-flight, but that's not what it says.  A travel booking confirmation can be your one-way in-bound flight.  Some Thai Embassies in other countries specifically require both an in-bound flight reservation and an out-bound flight reservation (the latter on a date before the expiry of your permission to stay). 

But do enquire at the London Thai Embassy if you are not sure...

Thanks again. Email sent, so let’s see what they say…..

21 minutes ago, Faz said:

Funny you should mention that @BlueSphinx.
As I was perusing some Thai Embassy websites yesterday I noticed on one of them that the 45 days currently granted for VE entries was only dated to Sept 30th, so quite possible from October 1st only 30 days will be granted on VE entry.

Damned if I can find it again now. 🥺

They prolonged the VisaExempt entry to 45 days because of the 15 days quarantaine on entry.  When quarantaine time is not reduced and they bring it back to 30 days, that will make in-country application for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa impossible when having entered VisaExempt (as the application has to be done when still having at least 15 days left on your permission to stay).  But enforcing an 'impossible' process is a Thai speciality... 😉

17 hours ago, Benroon said:

OK here's one for the technicians - say you go into thailand on an annual visa with only a couple of weeks left on it before you have to renew. 

Surely you could buy the 30 day cover (3k) as immigration won't know you're going to renew it right ? So you could just say you're going in for the couple of weeks that's left on your visa with no intention of renewing. Then you 'change your mind' and decide to renew it. No-one is going to come knocking to see if you've renewed it surely.

You only need COVID coverage for the amount of time left on your permission to stay. After that you are dealing with normal immigration policy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Absolutely, in fact the advice was always to secure your Visa before booking and paying for flights, hotels, etc, then along came Mr Covid and the requirement of the COE.

I have read elsewhere that in fact the Embassy will accept the flight and hotel itinerary for the Visa application, which makes sense, as hotel, flight and Covid Insurance confirmation is required for the COE anyhow. Again, an enquiry at the Embassy beforehand as your point is valid.                                                                                                 

36 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

They prolonged the VisaExempt entry to 45 days because of the 15 days quarantaine on entry.  When quarantaine time is not reduced and they bring it back to 30 days, that will make in-country application for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa impossible when having entered VisaExempt (as the application has to be done when still having at least 15 days left on your permission to stay).  But enforcing an 'impossible' process is a Thai speciality... 😉

But quarantine is being reduced to 7 days from Oct 1st, well if your fully vaccinated, otherwise it's still 10 - 14 days (they haven't decided which yet). The wise thing to do, if you intend applying for the Non O at Immigration is enter on a TV - what about those oddball offices that require 23 days. 😮

Your applying logic and forethought to the problem.
They don't see a problem until it becomes a problem, even though they created it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Faz said:

Absolutely, in fact the advice was always to secure your Visa before booking and paying for flights, hotels, etc, then along came Mr Covid and the requirement of the COE.

I have read elsewhere that in fact the Embassy will accept the flight and hotel itinerary for the Visa application, which makes sense, as hotel, flight and Covid Insurance confirmation is required for the COE anyhow. Again, an enquiry at the Embassy beforehand as your point is valid.                                                                                                 

Yes, that was my other concern. Even if they grant a visa without flight details, the discrepancy with leaving date and length of visa will come up again when I apply for the COE at stage 2. As that is time critical I wouldn’t want to mess that up either. Whatever they say (I’ve emailed them) I feel it’s probably safer to book a outbound flight within the 60 days and then change it or lose the flight. 

Thanks again for your help and insight.