News Forum - PM surveys damage from floods, says government needs better plan to handle floods in the future

Thaiger

In light of recent heavy flooding that has swamped Thailand, including in Chaiyaphum where a hospital was forced to evacuate 40 patients, PM Prayut Chan-o-cha has conceded that the government is at a loss on how to solve the country’s annual flood problems. The PM did say compensation for flood victims will be on the way shortly. Prayut’s comments come from a visit he paid yesterday to flood victims in the Sukhothai’s Si Samrong district, located in the north of Thailand. The district is one of the hardest-hit areas by the tropical storm Dianmu. A source says the PM and […]

The post PM surveys damage from floods, says government needs better plan to handle floods in the future appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

10 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

PM Prayut Chan-o-cha has conceded that the government is at a loss on how to solve the country’s annual flood problems.

Stop the rain.  C'mon, you can do it.  You can do anything, you're Prayut Chan-0-cha, Emperor of Thailand.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

In light of recent heavy flooding that has swamped Thailand, including in Chaiyaphum where a hospital was forced to evacuate 40 patients, PM Prayut Chan-o-cha has conceded that the government is at a loss on how to solve the country’s annual flood problems. The PM did say compensation for flood victims will be on the way shortly. Prayut’s comments come from a visit he paid yesterday to flood victims in the Sukhothai’s Si Samrong district, located in the north of Thailand. The district is one of the hardest-hit areas by the tropical storm Dianmu. A source says the PM and […]

The post PM surveys damage from floods, says government needs better plan to handle floods in the future appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Well Prayut, you should remember that Yingluck had long term plans in hand after the 2011 disaster but you removed her by force illegally. 

19 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

“It is a holiday. But when people are in trouble, we can’t take a day off”, says the PM.

The ordinary people of Thailand have been in trouble ever since this clown grabbed power back in 2014.

Please do take a day off in fact take them all off and give the country a chance.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

Just now, NCC1701A said:

building more trains is the solution. 

Are of course. I have no doubt that like mooring the boats across the the Chao Phraya and pushing the water uphill in 2011 , those self same Thai scientists will now believe that if sufficient trains run in the same direction spaced optimally then the air pressure will push the water uphill.

26 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

PM Prayut Chan-o-cha has conceded that the government is at a loss on how to solve the country’s annual flood problems.

Or allegedly any of the countries problems …..

• Cool 1

“It is a holiday. But when people are in trouble, we can’t take a day off”, says the PM.

Is this a holiday today that I was not informed about? I knew about Friday, but Monday? Or is this report a few days late getting to us, and this flood Time travelled!

• Cool 1

Every man, woman and child in Thailand should be given a "bucket" with Prayuts face on it. So every time they are bailing out the flood waters from thier homes....they won't forget what he hasn't done to fix the problem!

• Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

1 minute ago, Sandbar said:

Every man, woman and child in Thailand should be given a "bucket" with Prayuts face on it. So every time they are bailing out the flood waters from thier homes....they won't forget what he hasn't done to fix the problem!

What can be done though ?

What is the solution ?

• Cool 1

2 minutes ago, Sandbar said:

But how many would go potty in the bucket!

20 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:
47 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Or allegedly any of the countries problems …..

Only allegedly?  Actually, I'd be more than tempted to argue.

50 minutes ago, Fluke said:

What is the solution ?

Good question, @Fluke!  Since many attempts, over many decades at taming the overflowing rivers are as good as bound to fail, rivers having only the one uncontrollable source, i.e. rain, and having only the one uncontrollable outflow, i.e. the sea, I can only see a total change of direction being necessary.

If river-levels cannot be lowered, then building and infrastructure levels must be made higher - i.e. Thailand needs raising - and the prospect of that task even has me scratching my head . . . yes, seriously!

5 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Good question, @Fluke!  Since many attempts, over many decades at taming the overflowing rivers are as good to fail, rivers having only the one uncontrollable source, i.e. rain, and having only the one uncontrollable outflow, i.e. the sea, I can only see a total change of direction being necessary.

If river-levels cannot be lowered, then building and infrastructure levels must be made higher - i.e. Thailand needs raising - and the prospect of that task even has me scratching my head . . . yes, seriously!

Bangkok is sinking due to water extraction from a few kilometers below BKK , maybe they could pump all the current access water deep underground ?

• Cool 1

23 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Only allegedly?  Actually, I'd be more than tempted to argue.

Really …… how bout if he resigned today? That would it not solve one of the country’s problems! 😁

• Cool 1

8 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Bangkok is sinking due to water extraction from a few kilometers below BKK , maybe they could pump all the current access water deep underground ?

Yes . . . sorted!   Just how Prayut & Co would celebrate such a feat stretches the imagination . . . a year's holiday, maybe (:-)

1 hour ago, Fluke said:

What is the solution ?

Thailand's greedy land owners, corrupt developers and Government agencies who rubber stamp any land subdivision are all to blame for permitting dwellings to be constructed on flood-prone land.  That cannot be fixed without wholesale relocations.  It won't happen.

What can be done to alleviate flooding is regular cleaning of rivers, creeks, khlongs, drains and city stormwater pipes.   Cleaning out rubbish and weeds plus dredging sand and silt from rivers should be a provincial responsibility undertaken toward the end of the dry season. 

Sale of the sand and fill material taken from the Ping River here in Chiang Mai would easily turn a profit.

Bangkok is indeed sinking under the combined weight of concrete and steel + ground water extraction.  Nothing short of Venice & Thames style barriers or Dutch dykes will protect the city from sea-level rise and ultimate flooding on a regular basis.  Buy more submarines and build a canal to reach the Andaman sea but never mind Bangkok ... 

• Cool 1

9 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Thailand's greedy land owners, corrupt developers and Government agencies who rubber stamp any land subdivision are all to blame for permitting dwellings to be constructed on flood-prone land.  That cannot be fixed without wholesale relocations.  It won't happen.

What can be done to alleviate flooding is regular cleaning of rivers, creeks, khlongs, drains and city stormwater pipes.   Cleaning out rubbish and weeds plus dredging sand and silt from rivers should be a provincial responsibility undertaken toward the end of the dry season. 

Sale of the sand and fill material taken from the Ping River here in Chiang Mai would easily turn a profit.

Bangkok is indeed sinking under the combined weight of concrete and steel + ground water extraction.  Nothing short of Venice & Thames style barriers or Dutch dykes will protect the city from sea-level rise and ultimate flooding on a regular basis.  Buy more submarines and build a canal to reach the Andaman sea but never mind Bangkok ... 

is not perfect situation. But it improve so much. Only see when bad thing happen. But the development last 40 year save a lot of flood. No flood = no news report. 
if no development this week be terrible. People drown sure, more house and business flood sure. And more draught sure.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/special-reports/2030463/passion-for-solving-water-problems-pays-off

• Cool 1

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Read the full story

This guy is really a clown after 7 years illegaly in power and nothing achieved than destroy the country he want really tell sombody what the government needs. What Thailand needs is to get rid of him and his incompetent clown crew.

• Cool 1

16 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

……. Flooding in this country will never end, not as long as corruption rules all stages of Government. Like you say, it won’t happen.

• Like 1

Doing the same thing over and over unsuccessfully as Thailand's builders have done, will produce the same result. So think differently and get a better result next time....and there will be a next time....as sure as the tide rises and falls.

5 hours ago, Fluke said:

The problem also is they make no infrastructure planing before they build, condos, etc and not plan where the water should flow when the rain comes. Everything sealed and no space for the water very small pipes, etc. You asked what is the solution?! Simple first make a workable infrastructure or planing before make all the constructions because one is sure there will be rain and raining season! There is a good example how not to do things Pattaya and Bangkok, building and building and then after get floods because the empty heads forget to think where the water should go when it is raining.

• Like 2