News Forum - Pattaya restaurant busted selling alcohol, 15 arrested

Thaiger

15 people were arrested at a restaurant in Bang Lamung, accused of drinking illegally in violation of Covid-19 restrictions in Pattaya. Last night, Pattaya City Police raided an unnamed restaurant in Jomtien that was suspected of selling alcohol. Officers arrived at the restaurant early in the evening to discover 9 foreigners and 5 Thai nationals plus the person running the restaurant, though it was not specified if they were the owner or manager. The police arrested the patrons both Thai and expat for violating both national and provincial orders against public drinking. Police reported that they came to inspect the […]

The post Pattaya restaurant busted selling alcohol, 15 arrested appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

... critics of these harsh crackdowns have been quick to point out that, while local and tourism economies have suffered endlessly at the hands of these restrictions, the vast majority of Covid-19 infections, even in popular tourist places like Pattaya and Phuket, the site of another crackdown this week, have come from work camps, construction sites, factories, and other industrial locations

Not remotely correct.

While that has been claimed, there's no evidence to support it at all and plenty to contradict it.

While the "vast majority" of mass clusters have been in "work camps, construction sites, factories, and other industrial locations", most available evidence points to the vast majority of "infections" country-wide coming from individual spreaders, many coming from other areas - in some provinces all  infections.

Chonburi has 180K expats living in the province. Phuket brought less than 30K in a month, maybe it's a better idea to allow expats to enjoy life and spend money instead of aiming for 50K of tourists who will eventually will be stuck in quarantine, because they went in market one day?

4 minutes ago, Che said:

ENOUGH of this alcohol ban!

For whose benefit?

The bars or the drinkers?

While it obviously affects the livelihoods of the bar owners and staff, the numbers are far less than for the "work camps, construction sites, factories, and other industrial locations" that would have to be closed to achieve a similar result elsewhere, which the article suggests would be a better alternative.

9 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

Chonburi has 180K expats living in the province. Phuket brought less than 30K in a month, maybe it's a better idea to allow expats to enjoy life and spend money instead of aiming for 50K of tourists who will eventually will be stuck in quarantine, because they went in market one day?

While I agree in principle, I'm dubious about 180k expats in Chonburi province - while many will be working or married, there are only 80,000  retirees in Thailand which is what makes the idea of a million more "big spenders" rather unlikely.

The virus must be a regular cheap charlie alcoholic. Does not visit supposedly factory floors full of people, only spends time in night clubs and bars. And go-gos, what a nasty virus! 🤣

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Stonker said:

While I agree in principle, I'm dubious about 180k expats in Chonburi province - while many will be working or married, there are only 80,000  retirees in Thailand which is what makes the idea of a million more "big spenders" rather unlikely.

Actually, I would love to get a handle on the number of Expats in Thailand - any source?   Retired, Married, Working - from the 'western' countries including Korea and Japan and Singapore - not China, Loas, Cambodia, Myanmar or Vietnam.  Aare there are definitive numbers on those numbers anywhere?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Actually, I would love to get a handle on the number of Expats in Thailand - any source?   Retired, Married, Working - from the 'western' countries including Korea and Japan and Singapore - not China, Loas, Cambodia, Myanmar or Vietnam.  Aare there are definitive numbers on those numbers anywhere?

I'd be interested too.

The only one I know of is retirees.

While the number "working" is readily available and in the millions, the closest I've ever seen to any sort of breakdown by nationality was for vaccinations a month or two ago and obviously that's not accurate or in date any more.

Anyone?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stonker said:

For whose benefit?

The bars or the drinkers?

While it obviously affects the livelihoods of the bar owners and staff, the numbers are far less than for the "work camps, construction sites, factories, and other industrial locations" that would have to be closed to achieve a similar result elsewhere, which the article suggests would be a better alternative.

General repression among small gatherings has little effect on the greater picture. 

21 minutes ago, Rain said:

General repression among small gatherings has little effect on the greater picture. 

It all depends on how many "small  gatherings" there are.

Rather like mask wearing in a car if there are only two people, even if they sleep together, it's easier to police and enforce a blanket ban than to say that 20 people are fine but 21's too many regardless of the area.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stonker said:

While I agree in principle, I'm dubious about 180k expats in Chonburi province - while many will be working or married, there are only 80,000  retirees in Thailand which is what makes the idea of a million more "big spenders" rather unlikely

You maybe right. I looked for Google date and it's confusing. But my point is they are chasing smaller market now 

Just now, AlexPTY said:

When I lived in Pattaya, I am pretty sure numbers were close to 200k and it was according to Chonburi immigration 

But is that retirees / marrieds / working / snowbirds / long-term tourists / foreigners / farangs / Chinese / Taiwanese / etc, etc?

Who knows?

2 minutes ago, Stonker said:

But is that retirees / marrieds / working / snowbirds / long-term tourists / foreigners / farangs / Chinese / Taiwanese / etc, etc?

Who knows?

I don't think it matters, as they spend money. Most of the tourists money in Chonburi goes to bars, girls and other entertainment which don't pay taxes 

5 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

I don't think it matters, as they spend money. Most of the tourists money in Chonburi goes to bars, girls and other entertainment which don't pay taxes 

Well, I think it probably matters in terms of your original point since if they're snowbirds / long term tourists etc rather than resident expats then they're probably not there, and what resident expats there are probably spend a great deal less than tourists - I certainly do / did!

If Pattaya's hoping to survive until international tourists return in any numbers, whether that's mid-2022 or late 2023, and whether it's bars, girls or shopping malls, I think they'll need to target  domestic tourists (Thai and farang) far more than local resident expats.

If all these articles are seen by people abroad, I guess they don't even need to bother opening the airports and scheduling flights anymore. They are doing their best to show this country from the worst sides possible.