News Forum - Esports officially recognised as professional sport, new opportunities follow

Thaiger

The Thai professional sports committee has agreed to welcome Esports, also known as electronic sports, into the fold of professional sports in Thailand. The announcement was made official in the Royal Gazette. Esports represents video game-based sports that can be enjoyed alone in a room or with teams. The games include first-person shooter games, such as the assortment of Call of Duty options, among many others. Now that Esports has been recognised as a professional sport in Thailand, they will have the opportunity to get assistance and support in different fields from the professional sports committee. They will also receive […]

The post Esports officially recognised as professional sport, new opportunities follow appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

4 hours ago, thai3 said:

Video games then, eating will be included as a sport next!

You beat me to the punch with that comment.

There used to be a category of sports referred to as "Trash Sports". Basically, these were sports that were sold to US TV in the hope of becoming commercial. The one that springs most obviously to mind was "Roller Derby". Commentators would pretend to get excited and hype the event as much as possible. It reminds of the quote by HL Mencken, "Nobody ever got poor underestimating the taste of the public".

For a while "Eating" did make it it into this category. I recall the commentators referring to the competitors as "Athletes". I recall that among these "Athletes", was Bill (The Fridge) Perry, formerly of the Chicago Bears. I also recall that there were a Japanese Boyfirend/Girlfriend couple who frequently won the separate Male and Female comps. The Japanese were not morbidly obese as you might expect, and if you saw them, you could never imagine that they were professional competitive eaters. Perry, weighed in at about 350 lbs by comparison.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

Iif Thai Girls were entered in a sleeping comp, they'd be Olympic gold medallists.

Breathing might be seen as a skill or sport for some now too. But I agree it's a dark comment...

35 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Breathing might be seen as a skill or sport for some now too. But I agree it's a dark comment...

Not sure what you mean by "dark comment", but I've known a few that could sleep 12-14 hours at a time.

Edited by JohninDubin

6 hours ago, thai3 said:

Video games then, eating will be included as a sport next!

6 hours ago, Bob20 said:

And sleeping!

Well, in that case, Thailand's breeding a generation of world champions.  I can't think of two things that young Thais do more.