I want to open a Thai bank account while in USA.

RFD

8 hours ago, SkyDogJack said:

I agree ScottjamesinThailand. Of course a lot depends on if doing it yourself or hiring an "agent".  When I opened my Thai account at Krungthai in 2018, I simply paid the agent his fee, we walked in, I sat down and waited for 20 minutes and was called up to sign some papers.  Walked out with a brand new  savings account and debit card.  Things have changed a lot since 2018.  Lots of new regulations and rules, especially for expats.  Just have to follow the program as the Thai banks and government decides. 

I have friends that have been living in Bangkok for 20 years.  They only bank with the Bank of Thailand and keep all except the money necessary to satisfy Thai immigration and living expenses in banks in the USA and Singapore. 

Everyone has a different experience in Thailand.  It is better to try and laugh off the ruless and just consider it "business as usual".  Ironically, I tried to close my Thai bank account from here in the USA.  No dice.  If I want to close it, I have to come in person.  Since I lost remote access to my account because of the OTP issue, the money I have in the account, with no activity, will incur a 50 baht a month fee until a zero balance, then another 12 months and it will be automatically closed.  That will be in 2023.  You have laugh. 🤭

Your absolutely spot on SkyDogJack...you just have to laugh and not take the Thai rules seriously, including double pricing for foreigners etc. 

Just laugh it off and enjoy your time in the Kingdom as it is a great pleasure to be here....away from my old country that has corruption and crime also out of our control. Many foreigners complain but you just can't let it get to you. 

• Like 1