News Forum - The Return of ‘THE TIM’ | Thaiger Bites | September 20

Thaiger

Being subject to the two-tier price system as an expat when going to a tourist attraction etc. keeps reminding me that I will never be an accepted part of the Thai society. I live for more than twenty five years in this beautiful country, have family and pay tax and have invested at least 25 million Baht in the Thai economy over the years, but I still feel like an outsider, an official subject for rip-off when paying the entrance fee of 500.-- Baht at the zoo, whereas my Thai wife pays 80.—Baht. It’s not the actual higher price which which is so inappropriate, it is the feeling of being a second-class customer even though I am not dirtier than a Thai and I breathe the same air.

This racial discrimination must be abolished, otherwise it reflects very badly on Thailand and the Tourism.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Alfred said:

Being subject to the two-tier price system as an expat when going to a tourist attraction etc. keeps reminding me that I will never be an accepted part of the Thai society. I live for more than twenty five years in this beautiful country, have family and pay tax and have invested at least 25 million Baht in the Thai economy over the years, but I still feel like an outsider, an official subject for rip-off when paying the entrance fee of 500.-- Baht at the zoo, whereas my Thai wife pays 80.—Baht. It’s not the actual higher price which which is so inappropriate, it is the feeling of being a second-class customer even though I am not dirtier than a Thai and I breathe the same air.

This racial discrimination must be abolished, otherwise it reflects very badly on Thailand and the Tourism.

Married, with Thai dependant family, paying tax, and here for twenty-five years, means that you were fully entitled to apply for Thai citizenship on several grounds and you've had ample opportunity to do so, but you've chosen not to. That's entirely your choice - a choice many here don't have.

While some living here may not be eligible for Thai citizenship you have been but you chose not to be a Thai national - and now you're complaining because you have to pay a few hundred baht more to go to the zoo and that makes you feel that you're "never an accepted part of Thai society ... an outsider ... a second class customer". 

You had the opportunity to become a Thai citizen but you chose not to be and to remain "an outsider" - but saving a few hundred baht to get into the zoo will make you feel "accepted" instead?

Come on, perleeze!

You not only chose not to be a Thai citizen despite having the opportunity but you also knew, or at least should have known, how dual-pricing worked here, just as it works in different ways in every other country, before you chose to move here - but you still decided to come here so accepting it as one of the downsides, balanced out by the upsides.  That was also entirely your choice

You decided if the balance was worth it, nobody else, and these goal posts, at least, haven't moved a fraction in the last twenty-five years.

If a tourist didn't expect dual-pricing and doesn't like it I can accept that, although realistically very few will be so upset over paying a few hundred baht more that they'll mind, just as I can accept expats resenting changes to the conditions of their retirement extension, but none of that applies to you.