News Forum - Covid or no Covid, October 1 re-opening going ahead – Tourism Minister

Thaiger

There will be no rowing back on the planned October 1 re-opening of Bangkok, Chon Buri, Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, and Chiang Mai, despite the Covid-19 crisis. So says Tourism and Sports Minister, Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn, confirming that the government is sticking to the re-opening date previously announced by the PM. According to a Bangkok Post report, the minister has also stated that another 21 provinces will re-open on October 15. Phiphat has acknowledged the challenges posed by the ongoing Covid-19 crisis, but has confidence in the ministry’s preparations for re-opening. In responding to questions about the high case rate of […]

The post Covid or no Covid, October 1 re-opening going ahead – Tourism Minister appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

21 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

According to the Bangkok Post report, Phetchakit Thaensawat from the provincial health office says 54% of the target groups, including those over the age of 60, pregnant women, and people with underlying conditions, have been inoculated.

He can say whay he wants, but it's obviously completely untrue.

One dose, whether Sinovac or Pfizer, is not "inoculated".

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

He adds that the rate will increase to 70% – when they get more vaccines.

I will become a billionaire-when I get more money.

• Like 1

Does anyone think this will attract more tourist's?  No bars, gogo bars,clubs, restaurants with alcohol.. not even allowed to sit on the beach with friends with a beer..this is not on the list for many tourist's..  the first 2 months of Phuket opening 28k came 10k went back to their countries ! 5k stayed in phuket and rest went to other areas of Thailand.. many thais and expat returnees

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

There will be no rowing back on the planned October 1 re-opening of Bangkok, Chon Buri, Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, and Chiang Mai, despite the Covid-19 crisis. So says Tourism and Sports Minister, Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn, confirming that the government is sticking to the re-opening date previously announced by the PM. According to a Bangkok Post report, the minister has also stated that another 21 provinces will re-open on October 15. Phiphat has acknowledged the challenges posed by the ongoing Covid-19 crisis, but has confidence in the ministry’s preparations for re-opening. In responding to questions about the high case rate of […]

The post Covid or no Covid, October 1 re-opening going ahead – Tourism Minister appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

If this does not prove that the last 18 months of restrictions was utterly pointless, then nothing does.

The galling thing is that the Statists will now change their tune and forget their "its-da-law"defence of restrictions, the way they forgot that vaccines were promised to provide immunity

• Like 2

Absolutely incorrect on many points but mostly;

1. Sports and Tourism Minister will not make the decision, and has miss-spoken in the past during the whole crisis.  However in a private conversation I had with him last December just prior to Delat breakou in Samut Sakhon he agreed with me that this will be ongoing through into 2022 at least.  He is just trying to engender conidence.
  2. Vaccines do not promise immunity.
  3. How much worse would the fatality rate be without the restrictions or the infection rate to choke the public health systems....
2 minutes ago, AdamX said:

If this does not prove that the last 18 months of restrictions was utterly pointless, then nothing does.

The galling thing is that the Statists will now change their tune and forget their "its-da-law"defence of restrictions, the way they forgot that vaccines were promised to provide immunity

It's not looking to good in the South of Phuket at the moment, yesterday boarding up the gypsy village whats that all about? something you are not telling us? I live 2 km away from it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead. Of course that’s also a good way to get sunk.
Unless they can allow the opening of entertainment, restaurants and bars, it’s going to keep those numbers down.  I’m planning to give it a couple of months to work out the kinks first. 

Just dropped an email to TAT told them to wake up and smell the Covid sorry I mean coffee. Stop making stupid predictions of how many will come when your biggest demographic of tourists have you on red lists or totally ban international travel. Add to that all your rip off expensive tests and your heading for net zero.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

Just dropped an email to TAT told them to wake up and smell the Covid sorry I mean coffee. Stop making stupid predictions of how many will come when your biggest demographic of tourists have you on red lists or totally ban international travel. Add to that all your rip off expensive tests and your heading for net zero.

That should do it. Did you attach a picture of a shaken fist?

Have a lovely day.

• Haha 1
  • Cool 1

Covid or no Covid, October 1 re-opening going ahead – Tourism Minister

What were the qualifications for getting that job? I've got some idea...

No doubt he's fully vaccinated. Never mind the ones that aren't.

We've got a winner there! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

Don't get surprised if there's a flip flop on this "no rowing back" promise...

I think the clever wording is enough for a face saving change. It says:

Phiphat has acknowledged the challenges posed by the ongoing Covid-19 crisis, but has confidence in the ministry’s preparations for re-opening.”.

The word “Preparations” I think are key. I’m sure they will continue to prepare and prepare. And they will prepare slowly and in order to a i is rises in Covid. In other words. They can take as long as they like. The idea this is an open door policy for all is far from the truth. They have simply acknowledged that Covid is endemic and so what’s the point of restricting travel. This I think is mainly aimed at Thai tourism. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

I will become a billionaire-when I get more money.

I must admit to this kind of comment from ministers being frustrating. It’s exactly the kind of comment which draws so much criticism from foreigners. It is literally a stupid and idiotic thing to say. It’s so stupid that I can only assume it’s been translated wrong or lost in translation. “Once the rain stops falling it will have stopped raining”. “When the sun rises it will be daytime” 

If such things were said elsewhere they would literally be the stuff of comic books. It embarrasses themselves and the Thai nation.  

• Like 1

Perhaps this is a case of them following Churchill’s advice. “If you’re going through hell, keep going”. 

The worry is that if this gamble (and that’s what it is) doesn’t pay off, then if they think it’s hell now, they ain’t seen nothing yet. It’s fine for the ministers and elite of course. Irrespective of age or need, they and their families have all been vaccinated. It’s easy to gamble when you are plying with someone else’s money, or in this case, Lives!  

5 hours ago, AdamX said:

1 in 500 dieing  unvac 1 in 2mil if you are 

numbers don't lie i had my two shots i could care less the ones who don't 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jax0007 said:

Efficacy of vaccines are nothing to do with restrictions

Re-open the country to tourists in the middle of a wave of Covid infections with 15,000 new cases and 150 people dying every day ? Great plan. As Homer Simpson would say: "Duh-oh!".

5 hours ago, AlexPTY said:

cannot wait to jump in my pool and have a beer at the pub.... oh wait, nobody mentioned anything like that... what's opening dudes?

Your front door.

Maybe...

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, jax0007 said:

Try again. Technical briefing 22, Public Health England:

1233 1-2 dose taker deaths vs 536 unvaccinated between Feb 1st and 29th of August this year. The average vaccination ratio has been 50-60 percent during the relevant time period late spring to end of summer.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/investigation-of-novel-sars-cov-2-variant-variant-of-concern-20201201

Edited by JackIsAGoodBoy
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JackIsAGoodBoy said:

Try again. Technical briefing 22, Public Health England:

1233 1-2 dose taker deaths vs 536 unvaccinated between Feb 1st and 29th of August this year. The average vaccination ratio has been 50-60 percent during the relevant time period late spring to end of summer.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/investigation-of-novel-sars-cov-2-variant-variant-of-concern-20201201

listen and listen hard ...............get a life  .

get the shot or don't 

i have zero sympathy for fools who anti vax 

please don't take your shot please 

why is it vax people just get on with it yet you anti fools want to preach all day 

simple don't get the shot and go live your life , but you cant just an excuse to claim welfare and bludge 

you lot are all the same , rent a protest somewhere this weekend that will help everyone