News Forum - Cathay Pacific crew fired after refusing to get vaccinated

Thaiger

13 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

He wasn't actually commended, but prosecuted... 😉

In reality, the NTSB conducted a routine investigation to ascertain the cause of the accident and ensure it wouldn’t happen again. Far from blaming or criticizing the captain for his action, the agency’s May 2010 report supported the narrative of Sullenberger’s heroism.

The report confirmed that a large flock of birds caused both engines to fail. And it not only absolved Sullenberger and co-pilot Jeff Skiles of any wrongdoing whatsoever, but also praised them for saving the lives of all 155 passengers.

Do not believe what you see in films, "Sully" played by Tom Hanks is fiction not reality. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, JamesR said:

What he was commended for was his skill but he was following procedures he had been taught. 

And on that subject, have you ever been on a flight which seems pretty routine including the landing? These always worry me. Why are we applauding someone for doing his routine highly paid job?

I can understand applauding a kid for perhaps scoring his first goal in a football game, but what is so special tat they feel the need to applaud this achievement? I start thinking to myself, "Maybe he's new to this game? Perhaps last week he was delivering pizzas for Dominos? Why am I the only person on the plane who hasn't been told that he never passed his motor-bike driving test before they upgraded him to a 787"?

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Then again, some want to appear clever by picking everything apart and discussing it in more detail than the larger picture intended in the first place.

I think we are both guilty of that. 

1 minute ago, JohninDubin said:

And on that subject, have you ever been on a flight which seems pretty routine including the landing? These always worry me. Why are we applauding someone for doing his routine highly paid job?

I can understand applauding a kid for perhaps scoring his first goal in a football game, but what is so special tat they feel the need to applaud this achievement? I start thinking to myself, "Maybe he's new to this game? Perhaps last week he was delivering pizzas for Dominos? Why am I the only person on the plane who hasn't been told that he never passed his motor-bike driving test before they upgraded him to a 787"?

Yes. When performing as may be expected. I haven't been on a package holiday for decades and use scheduled flights, so there's no applause. But I can remember it. Embarrassingl This pilot went the extra mile though and really saved his passengers. No surprise that when the FAA tried to blame him, they all stood up for him.

However, you get into iffy territory discussing "what may be expected", as I also don't agree with paying 20-25% tip in the US for average service, as is expected everywhere as standard. Normal service should be included in the price. Exceptional service should be worth a tip. Then you get the discussion about wages etc. but that is between the employer and employee. When I go to a restaurant, I expect not to have to cook, set the table and clear up. I know the system and play along, but I do not agree with it.

4 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

"....pretty routing including landing?"

Yes, I used to fly twice a week from London Heathrow to Europe, twice a month to the USA for about ten years, most of them were routine, one flight was diverted to another airport because of conditions, one slid off the runway due to ice and once aborted take off half way down the runway due to a faulty indicator.

Maybe it is an American thing to clap when landing by tourists who take very few flights but on all the flights I have been on no one clapped, they just got off the 'flying bus' as they did every week.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AdamX said:

They certainly can, but where should this stop?

Can a private company refuse to employee vaccinated people as they have been proven to transmit covid.

In reality, most employers want nothing to do with testing, but if they did, it should be an antibody test not a vaccination.

Personally, I tell my employees don't ask, don't tell as your medical history is your personal business.

Those who still have concerns need to rely on the vaccines they chose to take and if that's not enough, they should take their fears up with the vaccine companies who sell a product that does not work

That's all your personal belief, which you are entitled to

But your personal beliefs make absolutely no difference in what a private community chooses to do

You choose to not get vaccinated,  which is 100% your right 

Private companies choose to feel having their workers be vaccinated makes it the safest environment 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

8 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Private companies choose to feel having their workers be vaccinated makes it the safest environment 

Does that private company also take care of you if you suffer from a serious side effect and you end up losing your job? Oh, they do not!?

4 hours ago, JackIsAGoodBoy said:

Does that private company also take care of you if you suffer from a serious side effect and you end up losing your job? Oh, they do not!?

You probably should have or should work at better companies

Every company I've worked has something called "sick leave" 

You don't lose your job for being sick 

You actually get paid!

• Like 1

Cathay Pacific and other airlines require for air crews of course because they cant enter countries without vaccination. Of course there will be medical exemptions and long self-paid quarantines available for those unfortunates passengers who cannot be vaccinated, but not workers  Cathay could just send somebody else. Next it will be passengers. I would much rather fly in a tube for 14 hours where everyone including passengers is mandated to be vaccinated. Others can choose United or Delta, with the freedom to eschew masks even, getting coughed on by aged flight attendants ? But what countries will allow them to operate internationally? The future of international travel for the unvaccinated is limited.  Expat employment or retirement largely impossible. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Mamachigawa said:

Cathay Pacific and other airlines require for air crews of course because they cant enter countries without vaccination. Of course there will be medical exemptions and long self-paid quarantines available for those unfortunates passengers who cannot be vaccinated, but not workers  Cathay could just send somebody else. Next it will be passengers. I would much rather fly in a tube for 14 hours where everyone including passengers is mandated to be vaccinated. Others can choose United or Delta, with the freedom to eschew masks even, getting coughed on by aged flight attendants ? But what countries will allow them to operate internationally? The future of international travel for the unvaccinated is limited.  Expat employment or retirement largely impossible. 

I'm definitely not flying with Delta! 🤔

Nobody should!

5 hours ago, Mamachigawa said:

...The future of international travel for the unvaccinated is limited...

The future is here. Quantas just announced mandatory vaccination for all international flights. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Zool said:

The future is here. Quantas just announced mandatory vaccination for all international flights. 

Excellent news. I hope EVA and Korean mandate vaccination for all passengers 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mamachigawa said:

Others can choose United or Delta, with the freedom to eschew masks even, getting coughed on by aged flight attendants ?

Not true. Everybody is required to wear masks on all US commercial flights (once the flight attendants restrain the anti-masker in 38-D with duct tape).

On 9/14/2021 at 7:26 AM, JackIsAGoodBoy said:

Resident Bob here has trouble understanding that these companies are shielded against any lawsuits if this goes bad. And it seems it is already going bad. Vaccine injury reports skyrocketing worldwide.

Wow you CT’s just don’t know when to give up do you even in the light of overwhelming evidence.

So for the hard of thinking they were ‘shielded’ by governments around the globe in order to get the vaccines out there quicker. If I tell you I can get you your vaccine in 5 years but you tell me I only have 6 months I’m going to want some protection yes ?  No conspiracy here. 

Give us some figures behind the ‘skyrocketing’ maybe something that matches the recent Public Health England figures …

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JamesE said:

Not true. Everybody is required to wear masks on all US commercial flights (once the flight attendants restrain the anti-masker in 38-D with duct tape).

Sorry I just speed read that and saw flight attendant, 38D and tape !! 

Which airline again?  😃

On 9/16/2021 at 3:06 PM, Convert54 said:

I have found it is the opposite. People I barely know keep forwarding me emails or messages with "urgent appeals to read and pass on" all sorts of unsubstantiated conspiracy claims and predictions of imminent disaster ! When I have bothered to cross check the credentials of the original authors they almost invariably turn out to be sincere  delusionals with some having long term histories of similar claims. Not once have I received anything that has been substantiated by fact but often contain opinions that are presented as such.

I am not sure which irritate me more.. the pseudo science ones or the evangelicals who promise salvation by forwarding them money ! Some are a combined effort!

I am reminded of the story about the invention of the Train when people were told and many believed that to ride in a carriage that moved  faster than a horse it would lead to death because the air would be left behind !

Interesting and I am constantly reminded of Orson Wells UFO radio broadcast which created mass hysteria when I read the fear and panic in so many posts by those rushing to get mRNA vaccines lol.  

Edited by billywillyjones
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Benroon said:

Wow you CT’s just don’t know when to give up do you even in the light of overwhelming evidence.

So for the hard of thinking they were ‘shielded’ by governments around the globe in order to get the vaccines out there quicker. If I tell you I can get you your vaccine in 5 years but you tell me I only have 6 months I’m going to want some protection yes ?  No conspiracy here. 

Give us some figures behind the ‘skyrocketing’ maybe something that matches the recent Public Health England figures …

You want proof, I will give you proof alright, a few people have stubbed their toes causing bruising, that was caused by the vaccine, people all over the place are getting drunk, falling over and banging their heads, that was caused by the vaccine.

The evidence is all around for us to see. LOL

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mamachigawa said:

Excellent news. I hope EVA and Korean mandate vaccination for all passengers 

Me too, EVA is the best airline around from London to BKK.

On 9/17/2021 at 3:30 AM, Marc26 said:

You probably should have or should work at better companies

Every company I've worked has something called "sick leave" 

You don't lose your job for being sick 

You actually get paid!

I’m sure Cathay have sick leave. Not sure what your point or question is ?

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

Me too, EVA is the best airline around from London to BKK.

100% agree. I fly with them regularly from Amsterdam as I work there often. Fantastic airline. Great cabin crew and great service. If you can’t afford business class, then Premium economy is a great compromise. Even economy class is still the best. 

On 9/18/2021 at 7:35 AM, JamesE said:

That is true. But the numpties are pushing for eliminating mask requirements ASAP they hate it more than the vaccine! Americans look so defeated in masks with that hang dog look of depair, especially when it pusheds down their long Grizzly Adams beard

• Haha 2

On 9/18/2021 at 1:42 AM, Bob20 said:

Haha, you can see why.

Wouldn't it be funny if they changed their name to another Greek letter, perhaps the one next in line ... 🤣🤣🤣

Epsilon? Not a good idea. If you are misheard, someone might think you said, "upside-down".