News Forum - NACC nearing conclusion in case of police allegedly smuggling liquor

Thaiger

The National Anti-Corruption Commission is nearing a conclusion in their case of police planes being allegedly used to smuggle liquor out of Hat Yai, a southern Thai province, to Bangkok, says deputy secretary general of the commission, Niwatchai Kasemmongkol. Niwatchai’s comments are in response to a post on the Facebook page “@Watchdog.ACT”, which brought up the investigation into the case. The alleged smuggling case dates back to March 2018 when 2 planes from Royal Thai Police were allegedly seen taking liquor from the Hat Yai International Airport in Songkhla to the Thai Aviation Division in Bangkok. The 20 cases of […]

The post NACC nearing conclusion in case of police allegedly smuggling liquor appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Unless they actually caught them in the act and confiscated the liquor, then probably not a thing they can do to prove it. Could be said they were boxes having used clothing in them.

Odd when they could use the Nation as a single reference the author wrote the other associated forum's name.

What I can't figure out is why this is "smuggling". Does buying booze in Hat Yai and then taking it to Bangkok constitute smuggling?

If this was booze confiscated by the Border Patrol, I might understand it, but I don't think I pay less for booze than you do.

25 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

What I can't figure out is why this is "smuggling". Does buying booze in Hat Yai and then taking it to Bangkok constitute smuggling?

If this was booze confiscated by the Border Patrol, I might understand it, but I don't think I pay less for booze than you do.

Doesn’t make sense to me either. Can you “buy” booze much cheaper in Hat Yai than in bkk to make it worthwhile transporting it. All seems odd and like a story from prohibition U.S

• Like 1

As Thai people would say " SAME TO SAME " ! Racketeering is inherent in the Thai government structure . It's not the liquor,the exotic cars, the lavish homes, the currency ( baht) that's illegal but the system of government that supports these crimes is criminal . The PM knows it/profits from  it,the monarchy doesn't want to hear about it and the government employees ( involved) execute it ! That's Nation wide Racketeering at work people... He's even skimmed (2billionbaht )off the vaccine procurement and no one seems to know where the money went ??? !!!! Hence the mass protests and political instability occurrences to this day . It's just a matter of time until the" short fuse" is lit and it blows  !!! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Soidog said:

Doesn’t make sense to me either. Can you “buy” booze much cheaper in Hat Yai than in bkk to make it worthwhile transporting it. All seems odd and like a story from prohibition U.S

Liqour and wine have a very high tax in Thailand. They avoid the tax.

3 hours ago, Stardust said:

Thanks. Yes I’m aware of the tax on liquor and wine. Maybe I need to reread the article. As someone else has said, if this was already in Thailand then how is it smuggling. Surely duty has already been paid. Anyway, it’s keystone cops stuff so doesn’t really matter. 

6 hours ago, Stardust said:

Hat Yai is also in Thailand (though many people seem to forget that fact), so how do they avoid the tax?  Surely not by buying it in Malaysia, which has even high taxes on liquor than does Thailand.

16 hours ago, Soidog said:

It's brought over the boarder from Malaysia obviously duty free, I used to go to a shop in Hat Yai could buy duty free ciggies from under the counter

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Thaiger said:

..... file a case with the NACC to prompt an immediate investigation.

"an immediate investigation"

Immediate? ... three years so far.

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

Anyway, it’s keystone cops stuff so doesn’t really matter. 

It "doesn't really matter" ?

Really?

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

Thanks. Yes I’m aware of the tax on liquor and wine. Maybe I need to reread the article. As someone else has said, if this was already in Thailand then how is it smuggling. Surely duty has already been paid. 

7 hours ago, Stardust said:

17 hours ago, Soidog said:

Doesn’t make sense to me either. Can you “buy” booze much cheaper in Hat Yai than in bkk to make it worthwhile transporting it. 

Liquor is tax free at an international airport.

It was flown from Hat Yai international airport.

Maybe there's a clue there ...

1 hour ago, MrStretch said:

Hat Yai is also in Thailand (though many people seem to forget that fact), so how do they avoid the tax?  Surely not by buying it in Malaysia, which has even high taxes on liquor than does Thailand.

I guess not declared because from the tax free area or confiscated smuggled liqour.

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

Thanks. Yes I’m aware of the tax on liquor and wine. Maybe I need to reread the article. As someone else has said, if this was already in Thailand then how is it smuggling. Surely duty has already been paid. Anyway, it’s keystone cops stuff so doesn’t really matter. 

Yes the article doesn't explain it so I guess it is not declared or confiscated liquor.

• Thanks 1