News Forum - Police arrest 78 protesters, bystanders, medics and minors

Thaiger

Last night, protesters and crowd control police met at Din Daeng in a heated confrontation that resulted in 78 people being arrested including bystanders, volunteer medics, and even underage people. Those who were taken into custody were held in several different police facilities, and the Thai Lawyers for Human Rights observed and reported on the arrests. They said 20 people taken into custody were not protesting but were food vendors and taxi drivers on-site, and that another 9 of the 78 people arrested were minors. The nearly daily protests at Din Daeng demanding the resignation of PM Prayut Chan-o-cha resulted […]

The post Police arrest 78 protesters, bystanders, medics and minors appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

This isn't going to end well.

Even with Thailand's curtailed media, stories like this are being seen everyday across the nation and beyond via social media, and it just doesn't look good for the police. 

"iLaw and Voice TV reported that police surrounded an apartment building and searched for protesters inside while pelting the building with marbles rubber bullets and tear gas to flush out the protesters. The building suffered significant damage and residents inside had to leave their homes and seek sanctuary elsewhere."

Whether you agree with the police or the protestors, people tend to side with protestors in cases like this simply because they're perceived as the 'underdogs'. Further, Thailand's immediate economic future, the re-opening of tourism, will need to be led by Westerners as the Chinese aren't allowed out, and Westerners will be horrified by these stories and images. Finally, I think that everyone is just plain tired of Prayut & Co and want 'normality', not nightly battles

If these protestors were alone in fighting at Din Daeng every night, I doubt that many would sympathize with them, but they are not alone. The on-going, and slowly growing, car-mobs, etc. will feed off of these images and reporting, which in turn will propel the Din Daeng protestors even further, and, in turn, help mobilize others; the cycle is growing and growing.

Sadly, Thailand has several historical incidents of mass violence in the streets, and I fear we are barreling towards the next one. Anyone recall '92?

Edited by Shade_Wilder
  • Like 1

What the hell are the brainless plod thinking?

Arresting food vendors, minors, taxi drivers, bloody stupid, but shows shows the loony brigade in government are running scared, basically terrorizing anybody/ everybody that just happens to be in the wrong place, sickening, yet another sad situation for Thailand.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, colinneil said:

What the hell are the brainless plod thinking?

Arresting food vendors, minors, taxi drivers, bloody stupid, but shows shows the loony brigade in government are running scared, basically terrorizing anybody/ everybody that just happens to be in the wrong place, sickening, yet another sad situation for Thailand.

I can just see it now: The police charging the food vendors with 'intent to supply food'.

Does that sound like my usual sarcasm? Not in this case, I'm basing it on previous events.
For those who might not be aware:
In June 2014 we had the PM hating George Orwell's 1984, with those reading it charged with 'eating a sandwich with political intent'.
See the video below.

• Like 1

Curfew for medics?!. Medics are excluded from the curfew! The responsible Police should learn first the rules and laws. But we could see again with Jo Ferrari what the Police thinks about laws and rules, they are thinking laws are not for them only for others. 

I have no vote so I have no say about government or protests. I was not there so can't say one way or another. 

What I can say about is that because of the problems the bus driver often stops and kicks everyone off the bus and tells them it's their problem now. This costs my wife a lot more to get a taxi the long way round to the hospital she works at. How is that right? 

Right to protest? OK right to disrupt others from going about their lives and especially key workers? Don't think so. 

10 minutes ago, PompeyLlama said:

I have no vote so I have no say about government or protests. I was not there so can't say one way or another. 

What I can say about is that because of the problems the bus driver often stops and kicks everyone off the bus and tells them it's their problem now. This costs my wife a lot more to get a taxi the long way round to the hospital she works at. How is that right? 

Right to protest? OK right to disrupt others from going about their lives and especially key workers? Don't think so. 

It is well known that there are protests in this area regularly, they do inconvenience some, SMART CLEVER people plan and avoid the area completely and their lives are NOT disrupted greatly. 

12 hours ago, palooka said:

It is well known that there are protests in this area regularly, they do inconvenience some, SMART CLEVER people plan and avoid the area completely and their lives are NOT disrupted greatly. 

In the past 10 years there has been protests but the intersection where they are now has not been there very much on percentage wise. Still thank you for saying we are not smart or clever. Always good when you need to resort to insulting people. 

Fact! From where we live choosing a different route would add an extra hour to nearly a 2 hour travel time. Also then there is the extra cost involved. Nurses don't get paid extra during these times and poorly paid anyway. 

So why should we have to pay because of others?

Maybe better just not to work and let patients die maybe? 

We don't care if they protest, but we have the right to work especially in the help of those requiring medical assistance. 

PS please note no insults from me. 

And a hit and run by police. The victim was 14 years old

Erich Parpart (@erich_parpart) Tweeted:
A police detention truck committed a hit and run at Din Daeng last night. The police said it was an accident. 

#ม็อบ12กันยา #WhatsHappeningInThailand https://t.co/IzEhpuvteC