News Forum - Prediction for international travellers to Thailand lowered again

Thaiger

5 hours ago, dmacarelli said:

They might have saved some money, by giving us only the lower quality options. 

As has been mentioned several times before, while Sinovac is a "lower quality option" it didn't "save some money" as it's amongst the most expensive.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bob20 said:

But even that is difficult, as you can't sweeten any deal for people whose countries have Thailand on the red-list...

Get jabbing! That is the only solution out if this.

Very good point. They must also have a mass credible vaccine programme,  which will facilitate them being removed from red lists. They must regain the trust and confidence of people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AussieBob said:

We will not be visiting again until there are no tests and no quarantine. No problem with being vaccinated and tested (here) before getting on the plane and OK with mandatory travel insurance - but no tests and no masks and no other restrictions in Thailand.  That of course means 2022 sometime.  

I’m ok with masks. However, as you say the requirements and restrictions need to be in line with other countries that are actively trying to get tourists. Otherwise we will just go there instead. Vaccination and preflight test is the most you can ask before you drive people away. Insurance is ok too but that’s about it. Too many places don’t even ask that much. I’m ready to come back, I sorely miss Thailand. However I’m also more than willing to go somewhere else instead. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

The figures in the U.K. at first sight look alarming. 80% fully vaccinated and still 30,000+ cases per day and 100+ dead. Wow!  What is going wrong? 

But wait….  That’s 80% of adults which means only 60% of entire population. Still way off herd immunity of 75%. (Not that anyone really believes that herd immunity works with this virus anymore apart from places like Thailand). Then there’s the fact that many of these people vaccinated were vaccinated back in Jan and Feb (6 months ago), so protection is waning in the elderly cohort. 

The country is now fully open and life is returning to normal. No curfews. No bar or restaurant closures. No social distancing or mask wearing (apart from a few transport areas such as London Underground). Kids now back at school. Shops gyms and cinemas all fully open. So of course people who are unvaccinated continue to catch the virus and people who are vaccinated are catching the virus. The majority of infections are now in the 7-24 year age group (see below graph from the ONS).

Finally d 

59CFD364-1E4E-49E8-8368-44E148ECC5AB.jpeg

Imagine how that would be without vaccinations ... but that doesn't suit some people's agendas.

I think we need to look at the bigger picture. Not just a recent snapshot

Bob 20 is right 83% has made massive difference. 

Yes there is an increase, but as you can see, it’s minor in comparison to what we have been through.  We currently have a little over 7000 Covid patients in hospital of which 75% are unvaccinated. Sadly yes, they may well move on to becoming deceased. However, that’s not to say  all must be vaccinated. Everybody has a choice.

Covid will continue to kill people for many years to come, just as the flu does. It’s not going away. 

7E26120B-04F8-4261-BF36-0D8CA5780731.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 PCR-tests are a big problem because its just bullshit and not needed. Based on an extreme desire to control covid while the disease is loose inte the country. Im not going to pay 350 dollars extra for just coming too Thailand. No way

• Like 4

14 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Tim said he would walk backwards nude down walking street

Sounds like a rather "cheeky" statement if you ask me! :)

But I suppose is better than full frontal...

• Haha 1

Still only 70 countries allowed entry under the SB as of 20th August. 

If you want more then allow double jabbed people from other countries with a PCR to enter. 

And stop saying Thailand is open. My only route back is still ASQ. 

Screenshot_20210910_232439.jpg

Please keep it safe and simple.  Proof of vaccination, Negative PCR tests should be enough.  No mandatory hotel stays, required location arrivals, required insurance purchases etc...  Safety and simplicity.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, EdwardV said:

I’m ok with masks. However, as you say the requirements and restrictions need to be in line with other countries that are actively trying to get tourists. Otherwise we will just go there instead. Vaccination and preflight test is the most you can ask before you drive people away. Insurance is ok too but that’s about it. Too many places don’t even ask that much. I’m ready to come back, I sorely miss Thailand. However I’m also more than willing to go somewhere else instead. 

I hear you - we might go take a look at New Zealand or maybe just go somewhere here, but Thailand is where we want to visit.  2022 - early? med? late?  Hope it is early.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Still only 70 countries allowed entry under the SB as of 20th August. 

If you want more then allow double jabbed people from other countries with a PCR to enter. 

And stop saying Thailand is open. My only route back is still ASQ. 

Screenshot_20210910_232439.jpg

So, are you not based in one of the above countries ?

Has anyone heard of any 'tourist' arriving in Thailand since July 1, passing on Covid19 to the local Thais? I exclude all those who did not arrive from international destinations with full vaccinations and a PCR test in their home country.  Anyone? I have not heard of a single case.

If that is correct, then the problem of Covid spreading in Thailand is being caused by the non-tourists (immigrant workers, Thais seeking work, partiers, etc). Therefore, logic says that to put such stupid ignorant restrictions on international tourists is just another case of Thailand shooting itself in the foot.  Thailand should allow any vaccinated PCR tested international tourist willing to come to Thailand and take the risk of contracting Covid, to come in free of restrictions and only a basic 'application' process and no additional PCR tests.  Did I just say logic and Thailand in the one sentence??

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bob20 said:

But even that is difficult, as you can't sweeten any deal for people whose countries have Thailand on the red-list...

Get jabbing! That is the only solution out if this.

Well said.  Everyone moaning about the Govt this, the govt that will not get the innocculations done and dusted.  Beacaue firt the manufactueres have to ramp up production or force the growth rate of the vaccine base.  And that's not gonna happen.....

18 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Just look at the UK and from today Denmark also.

First firm restrictions, then vaccination, then easing with a vaccine-passport and then as of today everything open with no restrictions, no special measures and no passport. 

That's what's possible when you get to 83% full vaccination ratio.

Here they need to stop dithering and waffling and get on with it. Everything else is just marginal.

Ye agreed, I have said this a few times.

Since we have been fully open in the UK the number of infections has been on the rise but as we are mostly vaccinated the virus is protecting us,  far fewer people are going to hospital and there are far fewer deaths as a ratio of infections.

The UK has the same number of tourists each year as Thailand but we knew we could not open up to selected tourists until we had most people vaccinated, that is the same case for Thailand, hardly  anyone will come until it is safe.

Edited by JamesR
typo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Has anyone heard of any 'tourist' arriving in Thailand since July 1, passing on Covid19 to the local Thais?

Exactly. The entire purpose of the quarantine and extra testing was to keep the virus out of Thailand. Hello, it’s already there and it didn’t come from tourists. Thailand has more than enough data at this point to know there is little danger from fully vaccinated and pre fight tested tourists. Any requirement past that is overkill to pretend they are doing something. However that’s also proven to be at the expense of more tourism. Can’t have both but they sure seem to want to keep trying to do just that. I hope to come at the end of December, but I’m not booking anything until the requirements drop. Otherwise I will just go to Cabo or Hawaii again. 

• Like 6

16 hours ago, EdwardV said:

Not correct. There are currently well over 60 countries welcoming tourists with open arms, and no restrictions at all, no hoops to jump over, no begging of the consulate for "permission to enter" and no other nonsense.

Just proof of vaccination, and a Covid negative test. This is what adults do. 

• Like 4

i and  others would love to come back to thai.ive been staying there six months each year for the last 19 years.im 75 so no one wants to sell us insurance.thats  a big restriction.only one i saw who would is like 100,000 thai baht!this needs to be dropped along with the coe and other restrictions if you have the vaccine shot. do it like it was.apply for your visa as ive done for 19 years and drop all these hoops to jump thru.on the insurance why not just charge all visitors on arrival 2, 3 or even 5,000 baht.heck even 10,000 for us six months guys.that would be cash for thai govt and most would never use it anyway.seems like if nothing changes soon ill be forced to hunt for another place.and i do feel for the thai people.they need to work and earn for their living.a country cant let its people starve because of this.which is worse??die from covid or starve?many are going broke,looseing their buiness.so i do hope someone will consider these things soon.thanks,dave

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, dmacarelli said:

Just proof of vaccination, and a Covid negative test. This is what adults do. 

Yes but the problem here is, the clowns pertaining to be the government here, are just overgrown school boys playing at being adults.

Remember when we were kids most of us liked playing soldiers, well this mob have not grown past that stage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Yes but the problem here is, the clowns pertaining to be the government here, are just overgrown school boys playing at being adults.

Remember when we were kids most of us liked playing soldiers, well this mob have not grown past that stage.

Good point.  The Thai military has more than 1,700 General equivalents which is about 1 General for every 200 troops and that is absolutely ridiculous. To example:  USA has less than 1000 General equivalents which is about 1 General for every 1500 troops.  And Thailand participates in what wars/actions, other than the problems with the terrorists down south?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Good point.  The Thai military has more than 1,700 General equivalents which is about 1 General for every 200 troops and that is absolutely ridiculous. To example:  USA has less than 1000 General equivalents which is about 1 General for every 1500 troops.  And Thailand participates in what wars/actions, other than the problems with the terrorists down south?  

'which is about 1 General for every 200 troops and that is absolutely ridiculous'

I quite agree, it should be nearer one-to-one to be fairer.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

'which is about 1 General for every 200 troops and that is absolutely ridiculous'

They way they are going it will be that way by the end of this century. 😂

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, AussieBob said:
23 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

They way they are going it will be that way by the end of this century. 

It would be more like a scene with a waiter at an American restaurant. General speaking to his personal private:

Good morning son, my name is General Noppodon and I will be your commanding officer for the duration of your stay in the army.
Any shoes you polish will be mine, any grass you cut will be at my house. Anyone you look after suffering from dementia will be my parents.
Enjoy your stay in the army!

BTW I added the 'parents with dementia' as that happened to my wife's brother when he was conscripted:
Two crumblies in a house in Bangkok, had no idea what day it was or who they were.
They watched the same cartoons on the TV everyday and laughed at them. They shouted at my brother-in-law for not feeding them, after they had food less an an hour earlier.

The Thai army - you couldn't make it up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluesofa said:

It would be more like a scene with a waiter at an American restaurant. General speaking to his personal private:

Good morning son, my name is General Noppodon and I will be your commanding officer for the duration of your stay in the army.
Any shoes you polish will be mine, any grass you cut will be at my house. Anyone you look after suffering from dementia will be my parents.
Enjoy your stay in the army!

BTW I added the 'parents with dementia' as that happened to my wife's brother when he was conscripted:
Two crumblies in a house in Bangkok, had no idea what day it was or who they were.
They watched the same cartoons on the TV everyday and laughed at them. They shouted at my brother-in-law for not feeding them, after they had food less an an hour earlier.

The Thai army - you couldn't make it up.

"had no idea what day it was or who they were"

Now I'm getting a bit self-conscious  😂