News Forum - Secure your future and protect your health with cancer insurance

Thaiger

Sponsored Aside from purchasing health insurance to cover common health issues and emergencies, many don’t realise that a cancer diagnosis could mean that they will be paying for treatment out of pocket. As many health insurance companies don’t cover or partially cover cancer treatments, it is important to think of possible future health issues. At The Thaiger, we care about your health, so we’ve partnered with Tadoo to provide you with the best cancer insurance coverage available, so you can rest assured that your policy will protect you when you need it most. Cancer insurance is designed to help people […]

The post Secure your future and protect your health with cancer insurance appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, WilliamG said:

As usual, age limit of 65, and only up to Bht 750,000 cover will not get you very far.

Yep 750,000 would be a complete waste of time (and premiums) - a friend of mine spent over 2mil and his wasn't considered a serious one !

36 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

A flight home is a damn site cheaper.

For UK, if you can convince the NHS you have not been in say Thailand for the past 5 years!

1 minute ago, WilliamG said:

For UK, if you can convince the NHS you have not been in say Thailand for the past 5 years!

I think that all you need to do is to provide a document with your home address on, like a bill or something and then you can register with the NHS

17 minutes ago, WilliamG said:
19 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

16 minutes ago, Fluke said:

I think that all you need to do is to provide a document with your home address on, like a bill or something and then you can register with the NHS

Still pay tax there  NI contributions over the maximum 30 years and most importantly have a UK address.

Unfortunately there is no good answer. I lived in Thailand for over 10 years and never really had any issues that required hospitalization. However as I aged into my late 50's, started having all kinds of medical issues. Not 1 pound overweight, exercise everyday, eat healthy diet. I realized how important it is to have insurance and how important issues will be as I get older and older into 60's and 70's. I am not about to put myself into a position to jump on an airplane to the US to get treatment. Maybe wouldn't be in condition to fly. Depending on where you live (rural Thailand), you may not even make it to local medical care in the event of a heart attack. Even though we own a house and land in Thailand, (my FIL is living there now), the reality is we are never going back full time. In the US we live 1/2 mile from ambulance/fire station and 2.5 miles from major hospital. I feel confident knowing I can get help quite quickly that could save my life as I get older. Also we are only a couple hours away from wonderful holiday spots in the Caribbean that are simply way above anything Thailand offers. As much as I enjoyed living in Thailand, it is no longer an option and medical help and insurance is a big reason.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

33 minutes ago, TukTuk said:

Unfortunately there is no good answer. I lived in Thailand for over 10 years and never really had any issues that required hospitalization. However as I aged into my late 50's, started having all kinds of medical issues. Not 1 pound overweight, exercise everyday, eat healthy diet. I realized how important it is to have insurance and how important issues will be as I get older and older into 60's and 70's. I am not about to put myself into a position to jump on an airplane to the US to get treatment. Maybe wouldn't be in condition to fly. Depending on where you live (rural Thailand), you may not even make it to local medical care in the event of a heart attack. Even though we own a house and land in Thailand, (my FIL is living there now), the reality is we are never going back full time. In the US we live 1/2 mile from ambulance/fire station and 2.5 miles from major hospital. I feel confident knowing I can get help quite quickly that could save my life as I get older. Also we are only a couple hours away from wonderful holiday spots in the Caribbean that are simply way above anything Thailand offers. As much as I enjoyed living in Thailand, it is no longer an option and medical help and insurance is a big reason.

Must be a sad life thinking everyday how long will the ambulance take or will I get there in time. Does Airbnb do good rates on long stay hospital beds I wonder ? 😂

45 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Isnt the 30 years of paying National Insurance just for getting the full state pension ?

Correct - nothing to do with any NHS entitlement or not, nor is paying tax or having a UK address.

The criteria is simply if you're out of the country or not.

1 hour ago, WilliamG said:

Go to Scotland.

At worst you'll only be charged the cost of your NHS treatment, rather than 150% of it as you will in England or Wales, and at best the requirement to show that you've not just returned for NHS treatment is far simpler.

6 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Correct - nothing to do with any NHS entitlement or not, nor is paying tax or having a UK address.

The criteria is simply if you're out of the country or not.

Go to Scotland.

At worst you'll only be charged the cost of your NHS treatment, rather than 150% of it as you will in England or Wales, and at best the requirement to show that you've not just returned for NHS treatment is far simpler.

I went back to the U.K recently after ten years and just went into my local G.P and registered . 

They asked why I hadn't visited a G.P for ten years and I just told them that I hadn't felt unwell and therefore had no need to visit a G.P.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Fluke said:

I went back to the U.K recently after ten years and just went into my local G.P and registered . 

They asked why I hadn't visited a G.P for ten years and I just told them that I hadn't felt unwell and therefore had no need to visit a G.P.

As Orlov says "simples"PSX_20210909_202752.jpg.03bed3e98db8d60078ed092265b35b37.jpg

Maybe I misunderstood.

But i think must be Thai to get it. So most on this forum can not.

Who can be insured?

-Thai nationalities, aged 1-65 can be insured

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

When things are serious you rely on the public health system.  Ask Trump or Bojo.

If you have a boil on your bum private health will sort it out real quick and be really nice to you.  But anything serious or a terminal illness and they offer little help at great expense.

Even in Thailand I think you are better off with the public health system.

Back when I used to use Bumrungrad it used to make me laugh how their 'Wellness Centre' was right next to the McDonalds.  And when you enter that place you really knew the meter was running every minute you are in there. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Fluke said:

Registering with a GP isn't the same as getting NHS treatment at a hospital - you may, you may not, they may check, they may not.

1 minute ago, Stonker said:

Registering with a GP isn't the same as getting NHS treatment at a hospital - you may, you may not, they may check, they may not.

Once you register with your G.P , that puts you on the NHS system and hospitals recognise who you are and your eligibility for treatment 

On 9/9/2021 at 9:02 AM, gummy said:

Must be a sad life thinking everyday how long will the ambulance take or will I get there in time. Does Airbnb do good rates on long stay hospital beds I wonder ? 😂

No, not a sad life at all. A smart life.

Must be a sad life hating on other's you don't even know and their personal choices in life.

BP2.jpg

8 hours ago, Fluke said:

Once you register with your G.P , that puts you on the NHS system and hospitals recognise who you are and your eligibility for treatment 

Sorry, but that's completely incorrect.

We're drifting way off topic here, but entitlement to NHS treatment has nothing to do with NI payments, paying tax or being registered with a GP.

It's simply down to whether you're "ordinarily resident" or not, plus a few other requirements.

To save any more opinion pieces, you can find the definitive rules clearly laid down at:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-the-nhs-charges-overseas-visitors-for-nhs-hospital-care/how-the-nhs-charges-overseas-visitors-for-nhs-hospital-care

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stonker said:

Sorry, but that's completely incorrect.

We're drifting way off topic here, but entitlement to NHS treatment has nothing to do with NI payments, paying tax or being registered with a GP.

It's simply down to whether you're "ordinarily resident" or not, plus a few other requirements.

To save any more opinion pieces, you can find the definitive rules clearly laid down at:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-the-nhs-charges-overseas-visitors-for-nhs-hospital-care/how-the-nhs-charges-overseas-visitors-for-nhs-hospital-care

Yes and if you have a U.K passport and you can show that you live in the U.K (by providing official bills with your name and address on it), that is enough for the NHS to confirm that you are a resident and thus entitled to NHS healthcare .  

10 hours ago, Fluke said:

Yes and if you have a U.K passport and you can show that you live in the U.K (by providing official bills with your name and address on it), that is enough for the NHS to confirm that you are a resident and thus entitled to NHS healthcare .  

Well, that's your view and you're fully entitled to it but that isn't the view of the NHS as their website, which I've linked to, very clearly states.  Having a UK passport has no relevance at all - it's simply down to if you're "ordinarily resident", regardless of nationality.

The NHS could of course be wrong about their own rules and you could be right, but on balance I think I'll go along with what they say.

Edit:

This is the opening paragraph from that link, which could hardly be clearer:

"Within England, free NHS hospital treatment is provided on the basis of someone being ‘ordinarily resident’. Being ordinarily resident is not dependent upon nationality, payment of UK taxes, National Insurance contributions, being registered with a GP, having an NHS number or owning property in the UK."

JUST  HOW  MUCH  CLEARER  CAN IT BE?

• Like 1