News Forum - Thai immigration official transferred amid allegations of bribery

Thaiger

40 minutes ago, gummy said:

That is exactly why very few Thais have the acumen and skill sets to survive in the West unfortunately.

Very few farangs have the acumen and skill sets to survive in Thailand unfortunately. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Very few farangs have the acumen and skill sets to survive in Thailand unfortunately. 

Bryan Mills does.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Not really, all you have to do is be successful and make your money in your own country and then spend part of it in order to 'live' in Thailand whenever you want to.

Why wast you years making peanuts in Thailand when you can make a lot of money in a third of the time and then choose where you want to live?

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

18 minutes ago, Yinn said:

No.....we can't seem to master corruption, whereas Thais have that skill in abundance.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

No.....we can't seem to master corruption, whereas Thais have that skill in abundance.

Maybe. But IMO most can’t seem to master Thai language. So be illiterate, deaf, dumb and mute will be difficult to have success. Sure. 
Even some farang live in baan nok for 20 years can not speak. Be difficult and frustration life sure.

The successful one with the skill sets all speak Thai well that I know about. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Some other is Harald and Caroline Link (B Grimm), Adam Bradshaw. 

Nice people.

Bryan Mills isn’t nice, He just has a particular set of skills. Skills that make him a nightmare for people …..

2 hours ago, Inlandchris said:

You know, corruption is bad, but, thank goodness for corruption

Sorry but I can’t agree with that. Of course there are times when you are in a fix and a few hundred or thousand baht but you out of it. But corruption is the biggest scourge on the human race. It affects literally everything and trickles down to every aspect of life. The downside of corruption is many times worse than any transitory upside. 

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

11 hours ago, Yinn said:

Maybe. But IMO most can’t seem to master Thai language. So be illiterate, deaf, dumb and mute will be difficult to have success. Sure. 
Even some farang live in baan nok for 20 years can not speak. Be difficult and frustration life sure.

You did well to pull out an insult from my post that had nothing to do with speaking the Thai language.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Yinn said:

What has mastering the Thai language got to do will corruption?

As Chaimai stated Thais have skills perfectly honed in corruption, almost daily people are involved in corruption.

Even getting the covid vaccine here is marred in corruption.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Soidog said:

Sorry but I can’t agree with that. Of course there are times when you are in a fix and a few hundred or thousand baht but you out of it. But corruption is the biggest scourge on the human race. It affects literally everything and trickles down to every aspect of life. The downside of corruption is many times worse than any transitory upside. 

You are dead right.  Decades and decades of charity and support has made very little difference in Africa - why?  Because they have endemic corruption, and that is the problem - not poverty. If you  somehow  magically removed corruption from Africa, then things would get better for the ordinary person. But as with Thailand, the corruption is endemic and will take generations to control. I said control, because corruption will never be removed - it is in the human nature to seek advantage over others - the best way for any society to progress is to keep it under control. Thailand is doing that slowly slowly - otherwise issues like this post and Joe Ferrari and those multi-million baht lamp posts, and so many other things, would never make it into the media. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, colinneil said:

As Chaimai stated Thais have skills perfectly honed in corruption, almost daily people are involved in corruption.

Corruption or Graft?  What I see is graft everywhere in Thailand - such as getting to the front of the queue for a vaccine, or for paying to get that extension through, or a 200 baht payment for speeding.  Joe Ferrari type events, and extorsion like this post where people are forced to pay (versus choose to pay), are examples of corruption in my view.  Just like there are levels of crime, there are levels of corruption - I think a bit of graft is OK for Thailand because that is how things work here - unless you want a massive public service and Govt oversight over every aspect of people's lives because people will not all 'follow the rules'. That is what I hate about this Nanny State here, and Thailand is free of that to a large extent - and I hope it always remains that way forever. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Getting a bed in a hospital can be a problem

15 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Getting a bed in a hospital can be a problem

Unless of course you are one of the "special ones" in which case you get rushed in at the first signs of anything

3 minutes ago, gummy said:

Unless of course you are one of the "special ones" in which case you get rushed in at the first signs of anything

That was my point

57 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Good morning Colin. Thankyou for your question. 

that was reply to “skill set” gummy post. Irony. 
somebody who live in Thailand illiterate complain about thai can not live in Farangistan because not have skill set. 555555

57 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Yes, even education has corruption. Terrible. School directors right? Or not?

irony again?

Yinn not corrupt. Can trust Yinn na.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Corruption or Graft?  What I see is graft everywhere in Thailand - such as getting to the front of the queue for a vaccine, or for paying to get that extension through, or a 200 baht payment for speeding.  Joe Ferrari type events, and extorsion like this post where people are forced to pay (versus choose to pay), are examples of corruption in my view.  Just like there are levels of crime, there are levels of corruption - I think a bit of graft is OK for Thailand because that is how things work here - unless you want a massive public service and Govt oversight over every aspect of people's lives because people will not all 'follow the rules'. That is what I hate about this Nanny State here, and Thailand is free of that to a large extent - and I hope it always remains that way forever. 

Very interesting thinking/post. 
i not like corruption for education/medical. But if to many rules, it becomes extremism like Taliban.
Balance.

eg Yesterday I go to land office for “para jum yom” roadway on Norsor3 title. Usually if pay 2000 “Under the paper” they do very quickly. Yesterday only me and another customer. 2.30 pm. Quiet. So I just wait. They wait for me to pay. But I just stare them. When waiting I start chat polite way with the boss. Is the game. I know they want to finish go home. 

Yinn win. I not pay. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Transam said:

Corruption is embedded in your country, and you bolster it....Tut tut....😏

Plus, you think corruption is fine if it fits YOUR agenda.....Hypocrite...😏

I NOT bolster it. 
i say I NOT pay. Can you read English? 

Yinn win. Yinn always win.
Transam know about that already.

* every country have corruption. Can google.

• Haha 1

Just now, Transam said:

Yes I can read English, you just posted you usually pay 2000 under the table....

You are one of the problems in this country, bolster corruption to suit your agenda, hypocrite...😏

And in general they will lie rather than admit the truth that they condone corruption.

I very much doubt there are any Ferang  here including myself that at some time or another have not been forced to condone the corruption by paying some sort of tea money. It's just the way of life here in the land of corrupt smiles.

6 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

I very much doubt there are any Ferang  here including myself that at some time or another have not been forced to condone the corruption by paying some sort of tea money. It's just the way of life here in the land of corrupt smiles.

Pay 200 Baht now or go through the process and get a 500 Baht fine and trip to police station. My principles are fine and I pay the 200 baht (as negotiated by the wife) - and I see that as graft not corruption. I was speeding and I was stopped because of it - my 'punishment' is paying a fine.  500 baht and a trip to police station and driving fine record OR pay 200 baht and the wife and I can get on our way (driving slower).

At the same time, there was another matter. I was following a Mercedes who was also speeding - we passed quite a few cars together. We were both stopped, but the driver of the Merc was briefly spoken to and then waved through.  Do I have a problem with that - no.  What I have problem with is if he/she ran over someone and killed them and then they are 'let off' like the Red Bull situation - that is what corruption is, and that is what must be and will eventually be stamped out in Thailand. 

When I was driving in a new city in Australia some time ago, I was pulled over by a cop. I asked what was the problem and he said I was speeding. I said 'what' I was only going about 70ks, and he replied it was a 60 zone. I looked at the road which was a 4 lane 'highway' which had a dividing strip full of trees and no houses anywhere near the side of the road - I said 'you are kidding me'.  He looked at my licence and realised I was from Sydney.  He gave me a warning and let me off with a warning that I must watch for speed signs when passing through Canberra as many roads that were once 80 or 90, are now 60 and some were even 50.  Graft? Corruption? 

15 hours ago, gummy said:

That is exactly why very few Thais have the acumen and skill sets to survive in the West unfortunately. 

Just out of curiosity , are you here in Thailand because you really like Thailand or is it because you cannot survive in the West and needed to find somewhere else to live  ?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Pay 200 Baht now or go through the process and get a 500 Baht fine and trip to police station. My principles are fine and I pay the 200 baht (as negotiated by the wife) - and I see that as graft not corruption. I was speeding and I was stopped because of it - my 'punishment' is paying a fine.  500 baht and a trip to police station and driving fine record OR pay 200 baht and the wife and I can get on our way (driving slower).

At the same time, there was another matter. I was following a Mercedes who was also speeding - we passed quite a few cars together. We were both stopped, but the driver of the Merc was briefly spoken to and then waved through.  Do I have a problem with that - no.  What I have problem with is if he/she ran over someone and killed them and then they are 'let off' like the Red Bull situation - that is what corruption is, and that is what must be and will eventually be stamped out in Thailand. 

When I was driving in a new city in Australia some time ago, I was pulled over by a cop. I asked what was the problem and he said I was speeding. I said 'what' I was only going about 70ks, and he replied it was a 60 zone. I looked at the road which was a 4 lane 'highway' which had a dividing strip full of trees and no houses anywhere near the side of the road - I said 'you are kidding me'.  He looked at my licence and realised I was from Sydney.  He gave me a warning and let me off with a warning that I must watch for speed signs when passing through Canberra as many roads that were once 80 or 90, are now 60 and some were even 50.  Graft? Corruption? 

You never paid the aussie cop anything so its neither. You did pay the Thai cop who was corrupt to take the money (not that I blame you I'm sure we have all done similar). 

I would argue graft and corruption are one in the same thing as I said it's the way of life here.