Data of Thailand’s 16 million patients hacked – Digital Ministry

DiggR

Thailand’s DES ministry has admitted that 16 million patient records from the Public Health Ministry have been hacked and an investigation is underway.

The ministry’s cyber department has been informed that the records, including patient registration numbers, full names, home addresses, phone numbers, their doctors’ names, names of the hospitals and medical records, have been compromised.

The department will check the cybersecurity system at the Public Health Ministry to see whether it is up to standard, as well as hunt down the hackers for prosecution, in accordance with the Computer Crime Act.

The website, through which the patients’ records were leaked, has been removed, which means the department will have to wait for more information from the Public Health Ministry about how the leak occurred and exactly how many people have been affected.

Technology expert Prinya Hom-anek explained that the system has loopholes, which allowed the hacking to occur, and the only way to prevent a repeat is to set up a password so that hackers cannot access the information.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/data-of-thailands-16-million-covid-patients-hacked-digital-ministry/

"Technology expert Prinya Hom-anek explained that the system has loopholes, which allowed the hacking to occur, and the only way to prevent a repeat is to set up a password so that hackers cannot access the information."

Possibly with experts like this setting up the data systems it is not surprising they and many others will get hacked - Passwords, really ? that's quite an innoventive suggestion, think it will catch on ?

I tend to not like to put any data of mine in a Thai system due to the fact it will get compromised at some point. I don't know what Thailands big idea is in regards of this but... perhaps some 'Western Leadership' might be a good idea.... but wait a minute cannot listen to foreigners, skip that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DiggR said:

The department will check the cybersecurity system at the Public Health Ministry to see whether it is up to standard

Obviously not or 16 million patients wouldn't have their data compromised, eh?

1 hour ago, DiggR said:

Technology expert Prinya Hom-anek explained that the system has loopholes, which allowed the hacking to occur, and the only way to prevent a repeat is to set up a password so that hackers cannot access the information.

There wasn't a password?  Aha...I think we've found the modus operandi.

Why, oh why, is the Thai government completely shit at internet technology?

26 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

Why, oh why, is the Thai government completely shit at internet technology?

I think your being sarcastic here. I think it's completely the extend of the "Mai pen rai" culture you will see in regards to anything security related... Oh we make a website which has "sensitive data"... do we need a password... ah mai pen rai.