News Forum - Proof of vaccination to be required for dine-in service in “dark red” provinces

Thaiger

6 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

1) person at the door checks. Non compliance = no entry 

2) person at the door asks you to check in. Non compliance = no entry 

3) not possible to check in with someone else's phone because like I said there's a picture of you just above your vaccination status. I crossed it out. Maybe you didn't notice that I mentioned that. It also shows name and ID number in the same screen. Again, fraudulent attempt at entry = no entry 

All of which can be checked in about 5 seconds.  

I realise you're not familiar with how any of this works, but you WILL be. 😆😆😆

Have you ever been to Thailand?

• Haha 5

17 minutes ago, Stonker said:

You're talking about the hard copy / "vaccination passport", not the app.

The app's asinine as it's so easy to get around in practice, and the problem with the "vaccine passport" is that it's only available in Bangkok with an outward flight ticket.

How many people do you think that applies to, farang or Thai?

The painfully obvious "simple and easy" solution was to issue the same vaccine passport to everyone when they had their second jab, or through local hospitals within a week.

Somehow, too simple and too easy.

I'm talking about the app in my country. Did you look at the picture? Maybe we got our wires crossed here. 

Whatever, but it's a good example of how things can work, simply, and quickly. 

Edited by TheDirtyDurian

Are these government officials sitting around a table saying "what can we do to screw this country more than we already have"?  Restaurants have had enough and now to say that patrons have to be vaccinated is another death blow.  With less than 10% of Thailand vaccinated, that does not bode well for restaurants.  They will be as empty as they have been since the government imposed there ridiculous restrictions.  No big deal to me.  I will eat at home or eat at the stalls on the street who don't have such stupid restrictions.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Agreed - personally I don't have a problem with the principle, but the execution is just absurd.

Same here, but I would use another descriptive word (Minimum, maybe 3 or 4) but I would have to sit out 7 days if I used it. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Doesn't work like that on my app. there's a refresh button you can be asked to hit to show live status. It's simple and easy. They can also make you check in with their QR code which isn't possible if you're not vaccinated. Screenshot_20210904_162237_sa_gov_nic.tawakkalna_edit_766824087869449.thumb.jpg.47f058f9b1d60f80fb63201214ee18ab.jpg

If you will check your track record in a month or two, you probably will see you have been to many more places around Thailand than you've actually visited. 😂

• Haha 2

Watch out Pannavuddho you are about to be attacked as a rabid anti-vaxxer that wants to kill lots of grandmas because if you take the vaccine, their vaccine does not work.

Staggering how so many of you do not see that this is not about covid or keeping people "healthy". In 10 years time when all your funds are controlled by a central bank digital currency and your every move tracked by an app ( that will never glitch of course ) I hope you will be happy...and "safe".

• Like 1

Bad idea. Restaurant business is a very thin margin business. Even small 5-10 percent pedestrian traffic reduction could mean shutting down the business. Now we are talking at least 30 percent reduction and most likely the more profitable drinkers stay at home. Alcohol is the most profitable element in restaurant business. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrStretch said:

Disagree.  When you were a child you had to have proof of vaccination in order to attend school.  In some countries you must have proof of certain vaccinations to travel there, like Yellow Fever.  This is no different.

yup you needed to be fully vaccinated in early 2000's to attend public school in canada and show proof of vaccination

wonder if this app will accept canadian vaccine documents 

Edited by dj230

46 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

I'm talking about the app in my country.

Aaah ..... so nothing to do with what happens here at all.

48 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Maybe we got our wires crossed here.

Well, since that's the first time you happened to mention that you weren't talking about Thailand, maybe we did!

GAFM!

42 minutes ago, BDawg467 said:

Restaurants have had enough and now to say that patrons have to be vaccinated is another death blow.  With less than 10% of Thailand vaccinated, that does not bode well for restaurants.  They will be as empty as they have been since the government imposed there ridiculous restrictions.  No big deal to me.  I will eat at home or eat at the stalls on the street who don't have such stupid restrictions.

Do you really think restaurants, barbers, beauty salons, and so on will turn any customers away?

Seriously?

You don't need to be a political analyst to see that it's nothing more than carte blanche for them all to open to anyone, then when it all turns to rat excreta the powers that be can claim that it's not their fault as no-one stuck to the rules.

6 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Do you really think restaurants, barbers, beauty salons, and so on will turn any customers away?

Seriously?

You don't need to be a political analyst to see that it's nothing more than carte blanche for them all to open to anyone, then when it all turns to rat excreta the powers that be can claim that it's not their fault as no-one stuck to the rules.

Plausible deniability....The government and everyone knows they wont check or turn people away....but it's a good way for the gov to pass the blame and responsibility to the restaurant. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

3 minutes ago, MikeT said:

Plausible deniability....The government and everyone knows they wont check or turn people away....but it's a good way for the gov to pass the blame and responsibility to the restaurant. 

Or for the boys in brown to get a few baht notes with on the spot fines.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

Seriously?

I agree, I believe they are going to need an extra staff  in some instances, just to check documents when a person arrives into the business. Plus, with 10% of people full vaccinated, business's will be emptier than they already are. I can't see how this will boost the economy. I think vaccine passports can be a good thing, but not when so few of people are full vaccinated. 

Edited by Bubbleboy

1 hour ago, dj230 said:

wonder if this app will accept canadian vaccine documents

Do you mean Canadian vaccine passports? I highly doubt it will, but that is a good question for the future. If we want to travel will our vaccine passport work in other countries, and if we are mixed vaccinated with two different doses can we even travel to Thailand in the future? 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Bubbleboy said:

Do you mean Canadian vaccine passports? I highly doubt it will, but that is a good question for the future. If we want to travel will our vaccine passport work in other countries, and if we are mixed vaccinated with two different doses can we even travel to Thailand in the future? 

Just documents showing I have been vaccinated 

I don’t see why not, countries accept foreign documents for things like yellow fever for entry requirements 

just wondering if it’s integrated in the app

Edited by dj230
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Stonker said:

"Asked" by who?

The waitress in Pizza Hut?

The MD who's showing you to your expensive table for your booking?

Who can "make you"?

The waitress, etc?

... and of course  it's possible for @MrS's son to "check in with their QR code" - he just uses his dad's phone! 

It certainly is - simple and easy to get around!

No it is not simple.
Under the QR code you can see the ID. In France they never checked the ID, but going to a footballgame at home I had also to show my ID-card.
And around the QR code there is a moving line, so a foto of this won't have this moving line

27 minutes ago, Alavan said:

No it is not simple.
Under the QR code you can see the ID. In France they never checked the ID, but going to a footballgame at home I had also to show my ID-card.
And around the QR code there is a moving line, so a foto of this won't have this moving line

That's right, it isn't that simple to get off the ground with the QR code. At the moment we are waiting for the QR code to rollout in Oct, but as of tomorrow in Ontario, we have to show proof of double vaccination which was emailed to us, and ID proving who we are to get into restaurants, gyms, movies, and big events. Once the QR code comes out we have to show that on our phones, but not all people have cell phones so they can print out the form with ID instead. To eat indoors we need to show full vaccination, but businesses will have to have one person checking everyone's ID which will be time consuming as well. Shall be interesting.

For a place like Thailand with 10% full vaccination rate, businesses will suffer and close most likely. It doesn't make sense if they want more business in my opinion. More people should be vaccinated to start a vaccine passport imo.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bubbleboy said:

That's right, it isn't that simple to get off the ground with the QR code. At the moment we are waiting for the QR code to rollout in Oct, but as of tomorrow in Ontario, we have to show proof of double vaccination which was emailed to us, and ID proving who we are to get into restaurants, gyms, movies, and big events. Once the QR code comes out we have to show that on our phones, but not all people have cell phones so they can print out the form with ID instead. To eat indoors we need to show full vaccination, but businesses will have to have one person checking everyone's ID which will be time consuming as well. Shall be interesting.

For a place like Thailand with 10% full vaccination rate, businesses will suffer and close most likely. It doesn't make sense if they want more business in my opinion. More people should be vaccinated to start a vaccine passport imo.

Agreed.

With only 10% full vaccination they shouldn't even be thinking about opening up.

The sandbox should have been launched calling it what it really was for: Returnees.

With delta running rampant and the population only 10% partially protected (as some of the fully vaccinated don't even have protection against delta either) we should keep travel restrictions and keep the spread under control.

No significant numbers of tourists will come, and the numbers that do are too high a risk (moving around) to justify it under the circumstances. We complain about Songkran and the Hi-So's, yet they're doing it again!

We have lived like this for 18 months. We can do this 2-3 more months, get 75% of the population vaccinated urgently (if it's true that 100m doses are on the way) and prepare well for opening-up for real instead of with 1000 restrictions that still don't bring many customers. Then, when we open up completely, infection numbers will soar. But serious consequences and deaths will be lower.

All other options are wishful thinking, experimenting on the population with high risk and little reward.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Agreed.

With only 10% full vaccination they shouldn't even be thinking about opening up.

All other options are wishful thinking, experimenting on the population with high risk and little reward.

Resident Bob here fails to mention that the risk of dying of COVID for people under 50 and healthy is about less than 0,02 percent. That would mean out of 100 000 infected up to 20 healthy ones would die, most likely only 5-10. The weird and random odd cases basically.

1.4 percent out of 14651 cases as of September 1st in Sweden were under 50. Even if you take in 50-59 year olds, it is less than 4 percent. Take out from those 203 cases under 50 those with comordibities and you get about few tens at best. That is how rare this for people under 50 and quite rare even for people 50-59.

These restrictions are madness.

Edited by JackIsAGoodBoy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Agreed.

The sandbox should have been launched calling it what it really was for: Returnees.

With delta running rampant and the population only 10% partially protected (as some of the fully vaccinated don't even have protection against delta either) we should keep travel restrictions and keep the spread under control.

No significant numbers of tourists will come, and the numbers that do are too high a risk (moving around) to justify it under the circumstances. We complain about Songkran and the Hi-So's, yet they're doing it again!

We have lived like this for 18 months. We can do this 2-3 more months, get 75% of the population vaccinated urgently (if it's true that 100m doses are on the way) and prepare well for opening-up for real instead of with 1000 restrictions that still don't bring many customers. Then, when we open up completely, infection numbers will soar. But serious consequences and deaths will be lower.

Nonsense... 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, palooka said:

if you're in a western country you would have lots of Anti Vaxx friends, if in Thailand enjoy the loneliness.

Very few anti-vax friends here in England, in fact I do not know any personally.

But seeing as we have had 85% of adults take up one vaccine and over 75% with two vaccines in record-time then there must be very few anti-vaxers here in the West.

Everyone I know in England have had both vaccines. 

I do know some farangs living in Chiang Mai who are anti-vax, they have never worn a mask in restaurants etc (never challenged) and think it is all a scam and will not have a vaccine even when there are some available (2023 maybe).

And the NHS app works a treat here, you can actually see proof of the vaccine if you wish to show it to others, you can also see you own medical records and treatments going back to 1972 (in my case.)

So my six month holiday plan to go to Phuket is on hold still as it it not worth going to a locked-down country where things may get worse at the moment.