News Forum - Tourism ministry wants Thailand fully re-opened, without quarantine, by January

Thaiger

Before all y'all go all verklempt about how it's just a wish list, or BS, or how nutz theses guys are, you have to remember one thing: The Phuket Sandbox is considered an opening "without quarantine". When you use that - the sandbox model - as the definition of "without quarantine", I think you will be closer to their intent, and then the projections sound more reasonable.

My opinion, and it is only that, is that Thailand would really like it if most of tourism goes away. But they can't say that. It would piss-off the international hotel conglomerates and developers if that cat was ever let out of the bag. The powers-that-be (not going quite as far as @dmacarelligoes here from a moral reasoning) would rather have tourism be 2 or 3% of the economy instead of 20%. They want TLOS to be an ASEAN alternative to China in manufacturing and they want BKK to take over from Hong Kong as a western-funded financial hub. To do that they need people they can train and those people have, to a greater or lesser extent, fled from the tourist zones back to their home cities, towns and villages.

Eventually, they'll realize that tourism is not coming back in the foreseeable future and start looking for other work outside the markets and paddies.If Thailand can get its manufacturing going again (remember, up until April the Thai economy outside of tourism was doing just fine) then there will be a ready supply of workers for its expansion. The hotels, s#1t-shops, restaurants, and everything else that can't reset to a domestic-mostly tourist market will go the way of corner stables and farriers. A lot of people will get hurt, some will adapt, some won't, some will thrive; just like with any other transition. But first, Thailand has to remove any hope of anything in tourism returning to anything like 2019. My prediction is that the Phuket Sandbox is here to stay, it will just morph to the Thailand Sandbox over the next 4 to 6 months.

• Like 7

22 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Thailand’s Tourism Minister wants the country to re-open fully, without quarantine, by January, but says this will depend on vaccination efforts. According to a Bangkok Post report, Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn is citing herd immunity as a condition for the re-opening, pointing out that Bangkok’s re-opening has been delayed from October to November, as most residents are still waiting for their second vaccine dose. However, Phiphat says the re-opening of Chiang Mai, Chon Buri (Pattaya), and Prachuap Khiri Khan (Hua Hin) can go ahead on October 1. The central province of Phetchaburi is also set to re-open on the same date, but […]

The post Tourism ministry wants Thailand fully re-opened, without quarantine, by January appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I have a question for The Thaiger or for any expert who knows. If the CCSA is disbanded at the end of September as rumored, does this mean that all of the restrictions that they have put in place go away? Or is it possible that they make some restrictions permanent, such as the COE process?

2 hours ago, JamesE said:

Before all y'all go all verklempt about how it's just a wish list, or BS, or how nutz theses guys are, you have to remember one thing: The Phuket Sandbox is considered an opening "without quarantine". When you use that - the sandbox model - as the definition of "without quarantine", I think you will be closer to their intent, and then the projections sound more reasonable.

My opinion, and it is only that, is that Thailand would really like it if most of tourism goes away. But they can't say that. It would piss-off the international hotel conglomerates and developers if that cat was ever let out of the bag. The powers-that-be (not going quite as far as @dmacarelligoes here from a moral reasoning) would rather have tourism be 2 or 3% of the economy instead of 20%. They want TLOS to be an ASEAN alternative to China in manufacturing and they want BKK to take over from Hong Kong as a western-funded financial hub. To do that they need people they can train and those people have, to a greater or lesser extent, fled from the tourist zones back to their home cities, towns and villages.

Eventually, they'll realize that tourism is not coming back in the foreseeable future and start looking for other work outside the markets and paddies.If Thailand can get its manufacturing going again (remember, up until April the Thai economy outside of tourism was doing just fine) then there will be a ready supply of workers for its expansion. The hotels, s#1t-shops, restaurants, and everything else that can't reset to a domestic-mostly tourist market will go the way of corner stables and farriers. A lot of people will get hurt, some will adapt, some won't, some will thrive; just like with any other transition. But first, Thailand has to remove any hope of anything in tourism returning to anything like 2019. My prediction is that the Phuket Sandbox is here to stay, it will just morph to the Thailand Sandbox over the next 4 to 6 months.

Thailand would really like it if most of tourism goes away. But they can't say that

But who is "they"?

I agree with 90% of what you've written and it is very pleasant in Chiang Mai without all the chinese tourists around town.

Phuket may eventually get some of it's bars and clubs open and running again although that market had been in decline for years.  Expat residents may enjoy far fewer tourists and less traffic on the roads.

Businesses are already adapting, some growing others failing, evolution will see Thailand continue as manufacturing hub although a paradigm shift in government is now essential.  Overdue.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, gummy said:

Yes whilst ever hopefull and optimistic I had to put that statement by the TAT minister to the test. The results were predictable

757177153_bullshitmeter.gif.5ed0805980165feaa85cc2cf8581a6da.gif

I seem to recall a certain 1940's ministry referred to as the Propaganda Machine.

20 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

it is very pleasant in Chiang Mai without all the chinese tourists around town.

Good morning Kaptain

Thai people like to travel. Is fun. 

Would they prefer see/be around in hotel/streets when they with there kids

1) group Chinese people shopping and visiting tourism attractions with family.
Or 

2) group elderly drunk farang sex tourist with young prostitutes in the street/bar?

What you think?

And what you think the government prefer? 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i want two blondes and a Ferrari but that is not going to happen either.  

funny , but exactly what you posted on TVF some time ago ...

What about two brunettes and a Bugatti ...?

6 minutes ago, Freeduhdumb said:

Herd Immunity? Do the vaccines prevent transmission now? It was my understanding they don't. How will they gauge/assess herd immunity?

With a constantly mutating and spreading virus , there will never be a thing like ' herd immunity ' .

It is only ' wishful thinking ' ...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yinn said:

Good morning Kaptain

Thai people like to travel. Is fun. 

Would they prefer see/be around in hotel/streets when they with there kids

1) group Chinese people shopping and visiting tourism attractions with family.
Or 

2) group elderly drunk farang sex tourist with young prostitutes in the street/bar?

What you think?

And what you think the government prefer? 

Haha ... you not understand Yinn.  It was not my comment re "what government prefer".

JamesE discussion is about foreign tourism and I commented on the Cn we were receiving here in CM - predominantly package tours of up to 300 pax; rural folk turned factory workers; LOUD; RUDE; and shuttled from plane to Cn owned hotels by Cn tour operators.  Seldom see Cn families but when we do they're fine, usually buying a house, educated and polite.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Nobodysfriend said:

funny , but exactly what you posted on TVF some time ago ...

What about two brunettes and a Bugatti ...?

i was wondering if anyone would notice. thank you. 

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, mcambl61 said:

There will never be zero covid. 

Vaccinate the most vulnerable groups. 

End the ridiculous overreaction and fear mongering. 

This works for me.  Yet at risk people who refuse a vaccine must not be allowed to take up a bed in the hospital as well.  Cant have it both ways.  You want your "freedom" you cannot take away others if you get sick

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ExpatPattaya said:

This works for me.  Yet at risk people who refuse a vaccine must not be allowed to take up a bed in the hospital as well.  Cant have it both ways.  You want your "freedom" you cannot take away others if you get sick

Agree 100% with that, if they don't want to help themselves why should others be expected to help them when they fall sick

5 minutes ago, Transam said:

Both, it is all income for your country, if the Government didn't like it, your no.  2) would have been closed down decades ago. 

Open your eyes to how your country works, and stop blaming farangs that spend their money to bolster your country. 🤫

I not blame anybody. For what?
just a question. 

sensitive. Hmmmm

Thankyou come Thailand for bolster TranSam.

i think Japan is bolster Thailand the most. Thousands factories, millions jobs. Manufacturing. Good jobs, better than.... Maybe you not see that area. 

I already bolster Malaysia, Nepal, Vietnam, Laos.  And bolster Thailand a lot. Maybe I will help bolster England one day. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, gummy said:

Agree 100% with that, if they don't want to help themselves why should others be expected to help them when they fall sick

Something to be said for it, but it's the same debate for smokers, obese, anti-vaxx and a million more...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

JamesE discussion is about foreign tourism

3 hours ago, JamesE said:

My opinion, and it is only that, is that Thailand would really like it if most of tourism goes away.

I not think so. Thailand happy and proud show our country to polite tourists. 

welcome to Thailand. 

• Like 3

Why don't they look at it logically for once? Gets rid of a lot of resistance. And they can then justly claim to do the right thing.

In the end this is what they do anyway, but with 1000 c*ckups and corrections in between now and then.

This year 100m vaccines

Next year already announced 200m

Put ALL efforts in getting the jabs in arms NOW. Deplete all stocks a.s.a.p. every time something arrives.

In 2-3 months 75% of the population can be fully vaccinated if it's organised properly. Some can even be boosted (those that received only 2*Sinovac).

THEN you can open the country. Open it more safely. Open it without 500 rules that differ for each region. Open it with infections rising, but with severe disease and deaths very much reducing.

And it will be something other countries can see, understand and respond to.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Transam said:

Thailand as tourists to use that service and provide income for the country

Thankyou for you question.

I not think they come for intention “provide income for the country”. Sound lovely. 
IMO

Edited by King Cotton
Off-topic content deleted.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good point .... Thailand already has enough drunk/drug misfits of their own.

I am sure Yinn understands that the prostitution food chain extends beyond the girls/pimps.......... unless Mama/Papa etc are pimping them, of course.

From what I heard many so-called 'sex tourists' have tried other countries, but say that nobody gives it up so easily as Thai ladies.

For me personally, I came here as a sex tourist but have now progressed to getting it free from lovely Thai ladies.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Thankyou for you question.

I not think they come for intention “provide income for the country”. Sound lovely. 

Come to exploit poverty situation. if can not have cheap sex with young girl they will not come to “provide income for the country” 

If really want to “provide income for the country” they not need made the young girl do sex for them. They can make donation. 

When I travel to other country, eg buy food I not claim I do because for “provide income for the country”. I do because I enjoy travel. Is not donation. 

I see comment before from sex tourist believe themself about that. I understand some really belief that. They come to help the people? Or help themself? What you think?

James say that Thailand prefer have no tourist. I disagree about that. Thai is friendly to have guest in Thailand. But only the prostitutes and pimp want sex tourist come. For money themself, not “the country”.

The other 99% Thai people prefer the sex tourist no come here. Is ugly situation. If I see tourist I happy to help them, want them to enjoy, welcome feeling. But I avoid sex tourist. Yuk. IMO prefer they go another country. 

You see the drunk/drug sex tourist make more problem in Thailand than the lovely Chinese/farang family or couple or normal tourist. Sure. Social misfit. 

IMO

I have noticed that , sex tourists usually think that Thailand is dependent on them coming to Thailand . They seem to think that it was them who built the Country and that Thais would be living in poverty without them 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Fluke said:

I have noticed that , sex tourists usually think that Thailand is dependent on them coming to Thailand . They seem to think that it was them who built the Country and that Thais would be living in poverty without them 

You forget many Thais are living in poverty or does ignoring facts not suit your argument ?

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2054387/world-bank-1-5m-fell-into-poverty#:~:text=Around 1.5 million Thais were,pandemic%2C says the World Bank.&text=Thailand's poverty ratio is expected,according to the global lender.

5 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

Good point .... Thailand already has enough drunk/drug misfits of their own.

I am sure Yinn understands that the prostitution food chain extends beyond the girls/pimps.......... unless Mama/Papa etc are pimping them, of course.

From what I heard many so-called 'sex tourists' have tried other countries, but say that nobody gives it up so easily as Thai ladies.

For me personally, I came here as a sex tourist but have now progressed to getting it free from lovely Thai ladies.

Thanks for the info , but I doubt that anyone is interested in your sex life or wants to hear about it (or believes it)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

You actually expect anybody believe that load of c##p?Good Night GIF by Yevbel

Edited by colinneil
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1