News Forum - Phuket Covid-19 passes 5,000 infections, bed occupancy up 5%

Thaiger

Covid-19 data for Phuket was fairly stable yesterday with no new deaths, no new international Sandbox travellers infected, and the total daily cases today were 242, just 7 more than yesterday. Those new infections pushed Phuket’s total number of infections since the start of the third wave of Covid-19 to surpass 5,000 today. Statistically, the most drastic Covid-19 figure was the hospital bed occupancy rate, which despite Phuket authorities adding 104 new beds, still jumped over 5% to 76.33%, just a few points shy of the dreaded 80% threshold. Healthcare facilities have been adding hundreds of beds, nearly 600 over […]

The post Phuket Covid-19 passes 5,000 infections, bed occupancy up 5% appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

17 minutes ago, Ronaldus said:

Vaccinations are not going to stop covid19 

I don't think anyone (with any sense) has suggested it will 'stop' Covid-19. It can however reduce the severity of the symptoms and the potentiality of hospitalisation.

• Like 6

Covid-19 data for Phuket was fairly stable yesterday with no new deaths, no new international Sandbox travellers infected, and the total daily cases today were 242, just 7 more than yesterday. 

That's if you care not to count all the positive Antigen test that are shoved in a field hospital and forgotten about.

• Like 3

Over the past few months there must have been thousands of comments on this topic, so I’ll add just one more:

Cutting through the nonsense, we all know exactly what the situation is in Thailand.

Tests number are far too low for the real situation to be clear. The daily figures published are just a small fraction of actual cases. This is true in many countries, but most acknowledge this fact and don’t publicise it as something positive. 

The Number of deaths will also be under reported, especially where those deaths occur in rural villages and to elderly people. 

The vaccine rollout strategy is confused, ever changing,  woefully late and inadequate. 

The economy is struggling. Not only in the tourism sector but in manufacturing also due to Covid affecting workers in factories.  

The country is simply about to take a massive gamble and open up businesses with the exception of obviously high risk environments like bars and nightclubs. This is a gamble. Plain and simple. It’s not a calculated risk based on any scientific data from anywhere else on the planet. They are just hoping that somehow this wave is on the decline and it will buy them a bit more time. Well time will indeed tell. 

In the meantime, all people can do who are living out there is to look after yourself as best you can. Get the vaccine as soon as you can. And wait it out ….

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Over the past few months there must have been thousands of comments on this topic, so I’ll add just one more:

Cutting through the nonsense, we all know exactly what the situation is in Thailand.

Tests number are far too low for the real situation to be clear. The daily figures published are just a small fraction of actual cases. This is true in many countries, but most acknowledge this fact and don’t publicise it as something positive. 

The Number of deaths will also be under reported, especially where those deaths occur in rural villages and to elderly people. 

The vaccine rollout strategy is confused, ever changing,  woefully late and inadequate. 

The economy is struggling. Not only in the tourism sector but in manufacturing also due to Covid affecting workers in factories.  

The country is simply about to take a massive gamble and open up businesses with the exception of obviously high risk environments like bars and nightclubs. This is a gamble. Plain and simple. It’s not a calculated risk based on any scientific data from anywhere else on the planet. They are just hoping that somehow this wave is on the decline and it will buy them a bit more time. Well time will indeed tell. 

In the meantime, all people can do who are living out there is to look after yourself as best you can. Get the vaccine as soon as you can. And wait it out ….

Sadly you are right. The Govt is clutching at straws to fix the economy, 3rd dip in the economy coming up and they have no answers.  Getting tourists back has failed, factories etc are closed, they are Trillions in debt already and where do they get the money to pay it back. Tourism they wanted to be the 'Hail Mary" next throw of the dice is just open every thing and hope it fixes itself.

• Like 4

If I’m not mistaken,they are opening up for domestic  travelers come Oct !

Great idea but I don’t like the idea of taking a antigen test and possibly have a false positive . That’s when the khee hits the fan and your forced to take a pcr  test while being held for observation.

Better to wait for less restrictions !

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, riclag said:

Great idea but I don’t like the idea of taking a antigen test and possibly have a false positive . That’s when the khee hits the fan and your forced to take a pcr  test while being held for observation.

Depending on the numbers that day or the coming days you might not get that PCR test and be stuck in a government field hospital somewhere really good like an old dilapidated prison.

I'm with you waiting for real improvements.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Soidog said:

Absolutely spot on!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are under 50, no health issues and not morbidly obese, the chances of dying of this is one in 20000 at worst. Almost without exception they have had comordibities. Chances of dying from the mRNA vaccine itself could be much higher, judging by the report system inputs spiking worldwide (Norway, USA, UK).

This has been one huge overreaction and caused untold misery and unnecessary deaths. Delayed detection of cancers and other illnesses but also suicides.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BIGGLES said:

It’s not a calculated risk based on any scientific data from anywhere else on the planet.

Florida? Texas? Actually, Florida is very similar in reporting to Thailand. The head of their reporting group was fired early in the pandemic for reporting the real numbers. When she started her own website reporting publicly available data she was arrested. Hospitals are not allowed to report directly to the feds. It's a mess.

Thailand's numbers are way off. The reported deaths are not tracking reported cases in any meaningful way. The reported case fatality rate (1.1%) is half of the global average (2.3%). Testing is not reported. It's a situation that we will never know how bad it is, but someday we might know how bad it was.

11 hours ago, Ronaldus said:

I think there was a misspelling in your comment, it should have been "Vacations are not going to stop covid 19".

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Soidog said:

I agree with everything you said, but a lot of people can not wait it out in Thailand, they have to mix with other people in order to work and pay for food for their kids, it is not like the UK where people have been paid almost full salary to stay at home for the last year.

The problem is they ordered the vaccines far too late and are now at the end of the queue, it will be like this for the next year while people are waiting to be vaccinated. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, riclag said:

I don't think many Thais will be travelling, I know one or two Thais who have houses in Phuket but they returned a year ago back to their small villages in order to keep away from large crowds of people, they don't want to travel on tourists busses or aeroplanes in the same way I do not want to return to my house in Phuket for all the same reasons.

I left in August last year as I knew there would be no vaccinations available for me in Thailand. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

I agree with everything you said, but a lot of people can not wait it out in Thailand, they have to mix with other people in order to work and pay for food for their kids, it is not like the UK where people have been paid almost full salary to stay at home for the last year.

The problem is they ordered the vaccines far too late and are now at the end of the queue, it will be like this for the next year while people are waiting to be vaccinated. 

I agree @JamesR.  Like is said, look after yourself as best as you can. For some, that could mean isolation. For others it means going to work but wearing a mask, keeping a distance when you can and trying to stay in a well ventilated space etc. Very difficult for many local people working in factories I grant you. Truly dreadful situation for sure. 

• Like 2

I don't think opening up the 'Phuket Sandbox' was a good idea looking at where it is now. Opening up to domestic tourists come Oct. seems like a trainwreck waiting to happen. I understand they rely on tourism for improving the economy, but until how many more end up in hospital? I am a bit at a loss. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Griff1315 said:

That's if you care not to count all the positive Antigen test that are shoved in a field hospital and forgotten about.

Forgotten about? That's nonsense. Total nonsense.

They are immediately tested again via a more reliable RT-PCR test and if confirmed positive they are then relocated to different locations dependent on symptoms or lack there of.

There is a lot of axe grinding exageration in this forum.

Edited by oldcpu

19 hours ago, Ronaldus said:

They were never intended to.

Preventing death is a good enough outcome for me - then we can get on with out lives.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chaimai said:

They were never intended to.

Preventing death is a good enough outcome for me - then we can get on with out lives.

We are going to have to learn to live with Covid because the vaccines are not 100%, new strains will react differently and so on. History has shown that natural immunity is the strongest type of immunity for many of the virus's we have encountered todate,  sure some people will die but a lot of people died from various flu strains and especially those that had pre existing conditions but these all seem to be forgotten. Life has to go on and the economy cannot sustain indefinite lockdowns. What about the road death toll, no-one is stopping motorists from driving everyday until road deaths become zero.

I am not exactly pro vaccines but not anti them either,  it should be an individuals choice until such time as the vaccines are better understood and manufacturers are prepared to take some responsibilty for what they manufacture. The problem as I see it is governments and medical persons have a financially driven agenda and make rapid & poor decisions based on untrue data, they are not open and honest and are often financially motivated to do so. Sadly very few governments have handled this difficult situation well which is partially understandable, however if they remained honest and factual they would cop far less criticism than they currently are. Why was hydroxychloriquin removed from sale in many countries when the medical institution knew full well since 1999 that this medicine along with a specific antibiotic was a cure for covid patients. At least a dozen top medical universities, medical researchers and leading viral experts have published papers claiming the same. It doesn't sound right does it so think about!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Paulw said:

We are going to have to learn to live with Covid because the vaccines are not 100%, new strains will react differently and so on. History has shown that natural immunity is the strongest type of immunity for many of the virus's we have encountered todate,  sure some people will die but a lot of people died from various flu strains and especially those that had pre existing conditions but these all seem to be forgotten. Life has to go on and the economy cannot sustain indefinite lockdowns. What about the road death toll, no-one is stopping motorists from driving everyday until road deaths become zero.

I am not exactly pro vaccines but not anti them either,  it should be an individuals choice until such time as the vaccines are better understood and manufacturers are prepared to take some responsibilty for what they manufacture. The problem as I see it is governments and medical persons have a financially driven agenda and make rapid & poor decisions based on untrue data, they are not open and honest and are often financially motivated to do so. Sadly very few governments have handled this difficult situation well which is partially understandable, however if they remained honest and factual they would cop far less criticism than they currently are. Why was hydroxychloriquin removed from sale in many countries when the medical institution knew full well since 1999 that this medicine along with a specific antibiotic was a cure for covid patients. At least a dozen top medical universities, medical researchers and leading viral experts have published papers claiming the same. It doesn't sound right does it so think about!! 

Thailand see about 24,000 recorded road fatalities annually where the victim actually dies at the scene of the accident and often does not include person's who have died in hospital at a later date in their statistics. Thailand has recorded 12,855 covid deaths to date and we all know that the lion's share of those had pre some form of pre existing conditions. So we are nearing 20 months of Covid with deaths at about 50% of the recorded road toll deaths and I see nothing being done to educate Thais to follow better road driving habits that will lead to a reduction in fatalities. Enforcing the wearing of a safety helmet would probably reduce fatalities by at least 20% but then our uniformed law enforcers would see a huge reduction in cash fines on the spot!!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JamesR said:

I think there was a misspelling in your comment, it should have been "Vacations are not going to stop covid 19".

I don't know about that!

I put off my vacation for fear of being stuck in a Q room and spending money for tests ,etc ! And don't forget there are many establishments that are closed and many have restrictions.

If I'm gonna blow 150k,I want all of the onion

Edited by riclag