News Forum - Suvarnabhumi’s ranking plummets in World’s Best Airports index

Thaiger

The results of this year’s World’s Best Airports awards are in, and in the last 10 years, Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi has taken a nosedive from number 13 to 66. The awards, voted for by passengers, are run annually by UK consultancy, Skytrax. This year’s results were decided by an online survey that ran for a 12-month period between August 2020 and July 2021. According to a Bangkok Post report, the rankings are widely seen as a benchmark for the global airports industry. Taking top spot this year is Doha’s Hamad International Airport, which beat Singapore’s Changi into third place. The number […]

The post Suvarnabhumi’s ranking plummets in World’s Best Airports index appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It certainly has its flaws but It's not a BAD airport ...

I think the overcrowding (resulting in very long waits at check in and immigration) we saw until recently has been the main reason??

• Like 4

A pointless Index after Covid stopped pretty much 90% of world flights. How can anyone judge the quality of airport services if almost no one is flying. It's a modern well equipped airport end of story. 

Yes the Immigration queues can be long but certainly nothing like the 3-5 hours at London Heathrow at the moment.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Inlandchris said:

I bet LAX is dead last or should be

Oh lord LAX is a total disaster as well as American airline policy of prohibiting foreign airlines from operating flights in the US. 

No joke if you fly on an American airline to LAX and transfer to an international airline, you have to get your bags, go through immigration, take a bus to the bradley terminal and check in all over again and security all over again. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1
  • Angry 1

I like swampy. I have been to many airports around the world and although it is true that it can get a little overcrowded at times( not at the moment) I still enjoy the atmosphere of the place. 

1 hour ago, Fluke said:

The food prices at Swampy were extortionate , like 250 Baht for a Pad Thai 

If you go downstairs to where the buses are there is a really good cheap eating place, but yeah, upstairs can be a bit pricey. There is also a pretty good little bar down near the train station. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jafagreg said:

If you go downstairs to where the buses are there is a really good cheap eating place, but yeah, upstairs can be a bit pricey. There is also a pretty good little bar down near the train station. 

I usually arrive air side , from a connecting flight , cannot go outside

1 hour ago, Fluke said:

The food prices at Swampy were extortionate , like 250 Baht for a Pad Thai 

Same can be said for any airport in the world I'm afraid.

Once your in there your a captivated audience that will sing to the airport tune or go hungry.

• Like 1

Funny, I go there to travel. No need to be there more than 2 hours before the flight and can eat anywhere before that. Not even for the price, but for the quality.

I seem to manage okay without food in the airport without starving in those few hours 🥴😉🤣

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bert said:

It certainly has its flaws but It's not a BAD airport ...

I think the overcrowding (resulting in very long waits at check in and immigration) we saw until recently has been the main reason??

That's what I would think as well. I've always found it a clean, well laid out, easy to navigate facility. Departing is a breeze, and I always get there early to take advantage of either the EVA lounge or the general population lounge. However, every time I get there, usually from Taipei, I run as fast as my pudgy body permits on the moving walkway, asking people politely but firmly to let me pass if they're in my way, because each person in front of me in the queue represents about 2 minutes of my time.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

Such rankings or ratings during the ongoing COVID era is really not a fair go for any of the airport facilities, as all have suffered in varying levels - so current comparisons are a bit of a goose chase and disparaging.

5 hours ago, 9S_ said:

Oh lord LAX is a total disaster as well as American airline policy of prohibiting foreign airlines from operating flights in the US. 

No joke if you fly on an American airline to LAX and transfer to an international airline, you have to get your bags, go through immigration, take a bus to the bradley terminal and check in all over again and security all over again. 

You mean its gotten worse in 15 years? Hard to believe it could get worse. Those admin's got there head where it doesn't belong, always hated that airport 

I think BKK is actually quite a pleasant airport, except the overcrowded immigration arrivals hall.

Personally I also think they've dropped in the table because quite a few new airports were opened with newer design and newer technology. 

And not surprising that exceedingly rich countries like Qatar and UAE pump virtually unlimited streams or money into their infrastructure to entice tourists to be ready when oil sales reduce.

It's fine as international airports go,it does what it's ment to do,what more could anybody want?

Conducting an airport survey over the last 12 months is hardly  representative and probably close to a complete waste of time.

As to the captive audience grumble and overcharging.

I can't think of a single international airport that does not.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

14 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The results of this year’s World’s Best Airports awards are in, and in the last 10 years, Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi has taken a nosedive from number 13 to 66. The awards, voted for by passengers, are run annually by UK consultancy, Skytrax. This year’s results were decided by an online survey that ran for a 12-month period between August 2020 and July 2021. According to a Bangkok Post report, the rankings are widely seen as a benchmark for the global airports industry. Taking top spot this year is Doha’s Hamad International Airport, which beat Singapore’s Changi into third place. The number […]

The post Suvarnabhumi’s ranking plummets in World’s Best Airports index appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

A Cinnabon would help turn things around 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Bob20 said:

I seem to manage okay without food in the airport without starving in those few hours

Clearly you are not traveling with a Thai person. "Few hours" and "don't eat" are never spoken together.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Inlandchris said:

You mean its gotten worse in 15 years? Hard to believe it could get worse. Those admin's got there head where it doesn't belong, always hated that airport 

I will fly the wrong way around the world to avoid flying domestic into LAX or SFO and then transiting international. LAX is just a version of LGA with bigger airplanes.

3 hours ago, JamesE said:

I will fly the wrong way around the world to avoid flying domestic into LAX or SFO and then transiting international. LAX is just a version of LGA with bigger airplanes.

Same. I would avoid both ill-prepared, inconvenient, badly planned, and less than friendly airports as if they were plague ridden. 

Though, if one is forced to be transiting from the west coast of the USA , SEA-TAC serves as a decent option. In-facility trains shuttle folks easily from domestic to int'l terminals...

1 hour ago, Rain said:

Same. I would avoid both ill-prepared, inconvenient, badly planned, and less than friendly airports as if they were plague ridden. 

Though, if one is forced to be transiting from the west coast of the USA , SEA-TAC serves as a decent option. In-facility trains shuttle folks easily from domestic to int'l terminals...

Sea-Tac is my local airport. They were in the process of tarting up the international terminal when everything went south last year. Typically, we've got four or five good connections a day into BKK but with Taiwan shut down it's down to which days Asiana and Korean are flying. My Sandbox flight goes from SEA to Frankfurt as the only one-stop into Phuket. Hopefully, THAI will still be flying next month.

On 9/2/2021 at 11:19 AM, Thaiger said:

Read the full story

This does not even matters as most airports are operating less than 50% of what they are used to. What's the point of this comparison during this downturn when the airline industry is going through havoc. It will be more relevant when everything heads back to normalcy.