News Forum - Study: recovery from Covid-19 gives more immunity than Pfizer

Thaiger

36 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

The reality is (in my opinion) that if you recover from COVID and then get vaccinated, you’re a fool. 

So much doubt, risk, unproven future efficacy. Endless booster shots, vaccine dependency. No further comment.

Well, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

I think a lot of people would say that if you  don't get vaccinated when it would halve the chances of you getting Covid again, as the study shows, that would make you a bit of a "fool".

... and where does this idea of "vaccine dependency" come from?

Anywhere reliable, or did you just dream it up?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Stonker said:

Well, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

I think a lot of people would say that if you  don't get vaccinated when it would halve the chances of you getting Covid again, as the study shows, that would make you a bit of a "fool".

... and where does this idea of "vaccine dependency" come from?

Anywhere reliable, or did you just dream it up?

Err, no, Stonker, it didn’t come to me in a dream. Believe it or not, I form opinions based what I experience and what I learn.

And you’re entitled to your opinion, too.

Edited by BigHewer
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Err, no, Stonker, it didn’t come to me in a dream. Believe it or not, I form opinions based what I experience and what I learn.

So where did this idea of "vaccine dependancy" come from?

"Anywhere reliable" or ... well ... somewhere else?

On 9/1/2021 at 10:15 PM, Thaiger said:

claiming that those who have recovered from Covid-19 previously have more immunity from the Delta variant than those who are fully vaccinated with the Pfizer and BioNTech vaccines.

I was quite sick in January . May be it was a Covid infection ?

How can I know if I had it already or not ?

I did not go to a hospital or see a doctor .

Where can this be checked ?

18 hours ago, BigHewer said:

The reality is (in my opinion) that if you recover from COVID and then get vaccinated, you’re a fool. 

So what about annual flu jabs. Do you think they are also a foolish thing to get if you’ve had flu 3 or 5 years ago ? 

Unless there is a breakthrough with Covid vaccines, it’s likely we will require annual jabs to deal with future mutations? 

• Cool 1

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

I am also curious - where did this idea of "vaccine dependancy" come from?  Is it based on some study?

35 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

I am also curious - where did this idea of "vaccine dependancy" come from?  Is it based on some study?

A valid question, oldcpu and thank you for your politeness. 

I think we’re heading into a phase (if we’re not already there) where it will be generally acknowledged that a 3rd shot is needed. The dream of herd immunity through vaccination is also being quietly abandoned. It also disturbs me that vaccine passport apps contain multiple blank pages for future entries. 

Governments and the vaccinated themselves will depend on the pharmaceutical providers for multiple booster shots amid fear and uncertainty about waning efficacy and future vaccine-resistant variants. 

Here is a very, very balanced and neutral overview from Germany (sorry, I can’t find an English version):

https://www.deutschlandfunk.de/debatte-ueber-booster-impfungen-wie-lange-haelt-der.2897.de.html?dram:article_id=500197

The great irony is that as the vaccine manufacturers themselves start to talk about the limitations of their own vaccines, I find myself questioning them (maybe they aren’t so bad). After all, there is a lot of money to be made.

Finally, if you do read the article (and I recommend it: it’s so-called mainstream media, have no fear), note that the German word for booster shot is Auffrischungsimpfung. Stupidly long-winded and suitably complex.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

So what about annual flu jabs. Do you think they are also a foolish thing to get if you’ve had flu 3 or 5 years ago ? 

No Soidog, I don’t. But then again, you’ve sabotaged your own analogy by throwing in the 3 or 5 years part.

But how about someone who recovers from the flu and then gets the flu jab in the same flu season? Is he or she a fool? Yes.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

A valid question, oldcpu and thank you for your politeness. 

I think we’re heading into a phase (if we’re not already there) where it will be generally acknowledged that a 3rd shot is needed. The dream of herd immunity through vaccination is also being quietly abandoned. It also disturbs me that vaccine passport apps contain multiple blank pages for future entries. 

Governments and the vaccinated themselves will depend on the pharmaceutical providers for multiple booster shots amid fear and uncertainty about waning efficacy and future vaccine-resistant variants. 

Here is a very, very balanced and neutral overview from Germany (sorry, I can’t find an English version):

https://www.deutschlandfunk.de/debatte-ueber-booster-impfungen-wie-lange-haelt-der.2897.de.html?dram:article_id=500197
The great irony is that as the vaccine manufacturers themselves start to talk about the limitations of their own vaccines, I find myself questioning them (maybe they aren’t so bad). After all, there is a lot of money to be made.

Finally, if you do read the article (and I recommend it: it’s so-called mainstream media, have no fear), note that the German word for booster shot is Auffrischungsimpfung. Stupidly long-winded and suitably complex.

Hi,

If you want to read the article < https://www.deutschlandfunk.de/debatte-ueber-booster-impfungen-wie-lange-haelt-der.2897.de.html?dram:article_id=500197  > but don't understand German, you can simply type "google translate german to english" on your browser, and then copy-paste the German text in the left-hand window, which will instantly provide the english translation in the right-hand window.

I did that with first paragraph and works perfectly > see below

1347683529_googletranslate.thumb.JPG.8204a15acb2c14027d2afedfb0e1f5ad.JPG

2 hours ago, Stonker said:

So where did this idea of "vaccine dependancy" come from?

"Anywhere reliable" or ... well ... somewhere else?

I almost forgot about you Stonker, further up the thread. Sorry for the slow response, especially considering yours came a nanosecond after my last reply. Another, more polite poster made the same enquiry and I responded to him/her.

Your first communication to me was sarcastic, and then you ask for my guidance? Are you kidding? As a default, I deal with people politely until I have a reason not to.

Perhaps you might like to reframe your approach in future. Good luck to you.

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

20 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

German word for booster shot is Auffrischungsimpfung. Stupidly long-winded and suitably complex.

The Germans could make a booster shot law like the did for beef regulation (Rindfleischetikettierungsueberwachungsaufgabenuebertragungsgesetz). Imagine how long that word could be? And complex to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

If you want to read the article < https://www.deutschlandfunk.de/debatte-ueber-booster-impfungen-wie-lange-haelt-der.2897.de.html?dram:article_id=500197  > but don't understand German, you can simply type "google translate german to english" on your browser, and then copy-paste the German text in the left-hand window, which will instantly provide the english translation in the right-hand window.

And while we’re there, I highly recommend another article from Germany that I mentioned on another thread. 
https://www.tichyseinblick.de/kolumnen/vorwort-zum-sonntag/ein-vermeintlich-natuerlicher-tod-nach-corona-impfung/

This is the story of an 87 year old man who recovered from COVID and was then coaxed into getting vaccinated three months later. 

Again, it’s not a hit job, just a sad cautionary tale. The writer himself states that he hopes the story will make people consider information with more openly.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

The Germans could make a booster shot law like they did for beef regulation (Rindfleischetikettierungsueberwachungsaufgabenuebertragungsgesetz). Imagine how long that word could be? And complex to.

Written Thai does even better than German as there are NO spaces in-between words. Spaces are only used in specific circumstances, as the equivalent of a full stop or comma.

This is how the above would look when we followed the Thai way of writing:

WrittenThaidoesevenbetterthanGermanasthereareNOspacesin-betweenwords Spacesareonlyusedinspecificcircumstances astheequivalentofafullstoporcomma

5 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

The Germans could make a booster shot law like the did for beef regulation (Rindfleischetikettierungsueberwachungsaufgabenuebertragungsgesetz). Imagine how long that word could be? And complex to.

Well if they did, it’d go through the Bundesgesundheitsministerium (Ministry of Health) and then possibly get challenged in the Bundesverfassungsgericht (constitutional court).

28 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

No Soidog, I don’t. But then again, you’ve sabotaged your own analogy by throwing in the 3 or 5 years part.

But how about someone who recovers from the flu and then gets the flu jab in the same flu season? Is he or she a fool? Yes.

I wasn’t trying to start an argument. I was trying to understand the detail of your point. I agree it would be pointless within a period of time. But as we don’t fully understand this virus and it seems to be mutating quickly, I was wondering if you thought it was wrong to ever get the jab having had Covid, or only after a period of time? You’ve now clarified that point and sorry I asked.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I wasn’t trying to start an argument. I was trying to understand the detail of your point. I agree it would be pointless within a period of time. But as we don’t fully understand this virus and it seems to be mutating quickly, I was wondering if you thought it was wrong to ever get the jab having had Covid, or only after a period of time? You’ve now clarified that point and sorry I asked.  

Apologies Soidog, my bad. I respect your response.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

the German word for booster shot is Auffrischungsimpfung. Stupidly long-winded and suitably complex.

Different cultures have different languages and different names. Being longer is perhaps only unusual from your background.

My understanding is that the German word is simply two words combined, with direct translation of individual words: "simple refresher" ( I reversed the words).  If I have that correct some might say that is a simple way to use existing words to describe a booster jab.

• Cool 1

17 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

This is how the above would look when we followed the Thai way of writing:

WrittenThaidoesevenbetterthanGermanasthereareNOspacesin-betweenwords Spacesareonlyusedinspecificcircumstances astheequivalentofafullstoporcomma

Just imagine though how Facebook translate would $@#%! it up, maybe even Google Translate. No hope for us.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Different cultures have different languages and different names. Being longer is perhaps only unusual from your background.

My understanding is that the German word is simply two words combined, with direct translation of individual words: "simple refresher" ( I reversed the words).  If I have that correct some might say that is a simple way to use existing words to describe a booster jab.

It was a joke, oldcpu, just a joke. The literal translation is actually “refresher vaccination”. But you’re right, that’s how German works. 

Sorry, I'm late to the party. But reading this article it is mainly a practical non-issue.

Comparing natural immunity and vaccine immunity?

Who in their right mind will first take the chance of getting covid unvaccinated with much higher risk of severe sickness or death than with a vaccine, to then if you survive be able to say, Ooh now I'm better protected!

That natural immunity only comes after taking a far larger unnecessary risk than with a vaccine in the first place.

3 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Sorry, I'm late to the party. But reading this article it is mainly a practical non-issue.

Comparing natural immunity and vaccine immunity?

Who in their right mind will first take the chance of getting covid unvaccinated with much higher risk of severe sickness or death than with a vaccine, to then if you survive be able to say, Ooh now I'm better protected!

That natural immunity only comes after taking a far larger unnecessary risk than with a vaccine in the first place.

You’re exactly right Bob. You’ve encapsulated the whole issue perfectly. I certainly wouldn’t word it the way you did, but I agree. 

The only issue is what a right mind entails.

• Cool 1

8 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

The only issue is what a right mind entails.

That's why I said it's a practical non issue.

If covid happens to you accidentally before you manage to get vaccinated, then it's too late for a choice anyway.

And if you are pro-choice and don't choose the vaccine, you accept your lower chances of survival from the initial infection, to then only maybe have a subsequent very small advantage. And remember R&D isn't stagnant so the results from vaccines will further improve.

You know what side I'm on 😉

10 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

You know what side I'm on 😉

Oh I know Bob, I know.

I love your use of the word “accidentally” in your post. Your use of the words “very small”, not so much.

But on the whole, we kind of agree. And that’s a beautiful thing.