News Forum - Hua Hin opts for quarantine-free re-opening, similar to Phuket sandbox

Thaiger

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

It’s late and I may have misread this @Bob20, but could the missing percentage be children? Is the population of 90,574 inclusive of people under 16? 

it could

or it couldn't

who knows what published figures really mean? 😉

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Wrong calculation before. I think Soidog's guess is right, they may be counting eligible population.

Edited by Leo

2 minutes ago, Leo said:

What the article means is 59.2% of those who have been vaccinated, so 55% out of 90,564 residents = 49,810. So 59.2% of 49,810 = 29,487 + (59.2% - 22.2% = 37% of 49,810, to avoid double-counting = 18,430). So 29,487 + 18,430 = 47,917, which is 53% of the 90,564 population. Pretty close :)

Nice, but that's not how I read the BP. The missing percentage could be children, but they shouldn't publish just partial figures. It shows BP just regurgitate the details they're given without scrutinising anything.

5 hours ago, Bob20 said:

It shows BP just regurgitate the details they're given without scrutinising anything.

I agree. One of the things that disappoints me most about the Bangkok Post is the lack of scrutiny in its articles. They do have some good “opinion” pieces, which tells me they are not concerned about publishing certain controversial issues, and yet the main articles just cut and paste data without comment. The act as a government publication rather than an independent newspaper. 

• Like 1

I tell a official secret, well known in western wolrd from recent studies: there will be no herd immunity at 70% vaccination of the population with the delta variant. The right calculation for the delta variant would be a herd immunity at around 85%. But even at 85% vaccinated people will be no herd immunity, because it would need a 100% sterile immunity after vaccination. Recent studies show, that even with double dose of mRNA it can't be reached.  With double or triple dose of mRNA there would be maybe, maybe a sterile immunity of 85% and this means, we can be lucky, if there would be a herd immunity when everyone is vaccinated or had been infected. 

Better to accept the fact now, then beeing disappointed when the level of 70% vaccination is reached. We have to live with SC2, but it will become less dangerous after we once have been vaccinated or infected. This is one of the reasons, why Israel starts it third round of mRNA vaccination now.

• Cool 1

15 minutes ago, AndyC said:

Help charge Hua Hin Recharge with us. We have set up this FB page to support those wanting to use Hua Hin Regcharge for a holiday or a gateway to Thailand. Feel free to join and support the cause. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/huahinrechargebydiscovalocal

Sounds like a worthwhile initiative for sure! And your debut post, too, so thanks for that!

Hello, AndyC and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.       https://thethaiger.com/forum-guidelines-and-rules

Happy posting

King Cotton

On 9/2/2021 at 9:45 AM, Leo said:

Wrong calculation before. I think Soidog's guess is right, they may be counting eligible population.

This calculation used by Thailand may be just as complex as String Theory and just as difficult or nye on impossible to solve. Every calculation they do for the same inputs gives them a different answer. Or better yet, they work backwards from the answer the require.

• Cool 1