News Forum - Government says rate of Covid-19 infections on the decline

Thaiger

2 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Not according to some living there, who say from personal knowledge that while those testing positive with an antigen test are isolated they're not given a PCR test so they're never "added to the daily total".

@Stonkerthe way to tell is the confirmed totals each day. For example on the just subtract the day before confirmed totals from today a new you will have the accurate reported confirmed numbers for each day.

…. Maybe non PCR testing this is something that the Thaiger staff on Phuket could follow up on with some daily news reporting? You know Johnny on the spot and all.

All in all tho, it’s just what they want to tell us public, truth or not. Is any government agency the same as the next here in Thailand?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guevara said:

Or even Fantasy Island, I remember the series well. In hindsight it was more realistic than Prayut's 'vision'.

Do you think prayut would be saying de plane de plane at "tourists" arriving 🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Soidog said:

The difficult thing is getting good data. 

And good leaders...

I've not been here long enough. Certainly I see loyalty by older generations to whoever is in power.

But in the time where the internet is in everybody's pocket, I think we're in for change and a rude awakening for the dinosaurs... I think it's not if, but when.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

@Stonkerthe way to tell is the confirmed totals each day. For example on the just subtract the day before confirmed totals from today a new you will have the accurate reported confirmed numbers for each day.

…. Maybe non PCR testing this is something that the Thaiger staff on Phuket could follow up on with some daily news reporting? You know Johnny on the spot and all.

All in all tho, it’s just what they want to tell us public, truth or not. Is any government agency the same as the next here in Thailand?

The phuket news post daily all the numbers todays link below.. 

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-marks-162-new-covid-cases-81229.php

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

the PR Phuket government organisation posts the figures the day before the Phuket news do. 

https://www.facebook.com/prphuket2018

thats where the Phuket News gets their graphic from.

Yes and over 850 people in isolation waiting supposedly for a pcr test..some of these are here in the hotels next to us for 14 days after testing positive and not had a pcr test 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Well, not according to some there!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

Yes and over 850 people in isolation waiting supposedly for a pcr test..some of these are here in the hotels next to us for 14 days after testing positive and not had a pcr test 

I was trying to avoid putting you on the spot, but that was very much my point!

• Like 2

Just like they don’t report how many close contacts to the Phuket Sandboxers that are confirmed covid cases are confined to ALQ hotels for 14 days. They reported on that on the first case, and borked at doing it ever since. Must be frightened of bad press. Maybe those 850 people are Sandbox Tourists under confinement?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Just like they don’t report how many close contacts to the Phuket Sandboxers that are confirmed covid cases are confined to ALQ hotels for 14 days. They reported on that on the first case, and borked at doing it ever since. Must be frightened of bad press. Maybe those 850 people are Sandbox Tourists under confinement?

We've seen groups when released sitting drinking chang waiting for their bus home,  with their bag and electric fan and all thai.  Pcr tests don't take up to 2 weeks for results.. there is no reason I can see than fiddling the positive number of cases here.. each day we see at least 1 or 2 ambulances take people away to hospital obviously where they have taken a turn for the worse.. as I said already pcr tests should only take a day or so for results 850 waiting is a bit strange

• Cool 1

11 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

We've seen groups when released sitting drinking chang waiting for their bus home

Careful, you may be close enough to be deemed a close contact. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Yep - they always seem to think the problem is with one person or a few people, when the problem is the system and the cultural acceptance of corruption. They also have the attitude of 'always been this way, always will be this way' - and many Expats too.

But that is not true.  If anyone thinks we 'western' people are bastions of good and perfection, then you are delusional - our history is full of such corruption and practices and worse. What happened is that we dealt with it - some harshly and some softly - but we as a group did something about it and the systems changed because of that, and then our cultural attitudes changed too. Thailand can and will eventually deal with it, and lets hope it is not like what happened in China. The reason Mao was successful, was because of exactly this type of graft and corruption that was endemic in China (but on a much larger scale). All it takes is for the right opportunity to arise such that change follows - for Mao is was the world wars - is an economic disaster because of Covid enough? Maybe, maybe not.   Massive bush fires start with just one or two sparks - we Aussies know that well.  Thailand looks very hot and dry to me - like the Aussie bush before the inevitable happens.    

On 8/31/2021 at 1:58 PM, Bob20 said:

Deplorable indeed.

But who is going to investigate this? 

And who is then going to believe the outcome?

We're not talking years until this changes, we're talking generations.

And meanwhile the gap between Thailand and other countries just gets wider in every respect. 😔

On 8/30/2021 at 3:49 PM, Bob20 said:

And good leaders...

I've not been here long enough. Certainly I see loyalty by older generations to whoever is in power.

But in the time where the internet is in everybody's pocket, I think we're in for change and a rude awakening for the dinosaurs... I think it's not if, but when.

So why do we all love it here? And what's the answer?

On 8/30/2021 at 10:26 AM, Mikke said:

The Frame work to me, is that the government will fudge the figures and create the illusion of declining infections and deaths. Fits in with the government wanting to open up thailand at their given dates. You would not be surprised to think that the government had no intentions of stopping this virus, just let it go through the community as an effective cull and less expensive option to get on with it. Whilst making false declarations to keep the people's hopes alive.

They are fishy and tricky

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/2175075/time-to-rethink-the-covid-19-strategy

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 3:46 PM, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Maybe this shows why they are tricky because of bankcruptcy

33 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

So why do we all love it here? And what's the answer?

Well the first answer is 'the people' - Thailand is loved because the people and their culture is fantastic.  With that goes other things like how the women are, and how inexpensive things are, and how the Govt leaves people alone (mostly). 

The answer to the changes that are needed - there is none. As is all societies that change (ours included) the changes come about because of changed circumstances. But the number one thing is the majority of the  population deciding (as a group) that change is needed, and that accepting the status quo is no longer acceptable. When that happens (and in Thailand I think that is happening now) then some things happen that create the opportunities for the changes to happen.  Later, history records it as 'this caused that' and that is 'how and why' - but that is total crap - and hindsight is 20/20 vision. 

2 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Well the first answer is 'the people' - Thailand is loved because the people and their culture is fantastic.  With that goes other things like how the women are, and how inexpensive things are, and how the Govt leaves people alone (mostly). 

The answer to the changes that are needed - there is none. As is all societies that change (ours included) the changes come about because of changed circumstances. But the number one thing is the majority of the  population deciding (as a group) that change is needed, and that accepting the status quo is no longer acceptable. When that happens (and in Thailand I think that is happening now) then some things happen that create the opportunities for the changes to happen.  Later, history records it as 'this caused that' and that is 'how and why' - but that is total crap - and hindsight is 20/20 vision. 

I know and it was meant tongue-in-cheek, because 99% of the reporting and reactions is about the negative sides of Thailand. Sometimes I get tired of that and that's also why I avoid groups of foreigners sitting here whining and moaning about everything. And for the change, I hope it won't become Myanmar II.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

I know and it was meant tongue-in-cheek, because 99% of the reporting and reactions is about the negative sides of Thailand. Sometimes I get tired of that and that's also why I avoid groups of foreigners sitting here whining and moaning about everything. And for the change, I hope it won't become Myanmar II.

I hear you mate - I love the place. Nothing worse than the Expat whingers on forums like this, but there are fewer here than 'elsewhere'. The news section always has negative stories - same as the media all over the world - and there  are plenty of negatives in Thailand - especially about the Junta and the corrupt elites.  

Democray at the end of a gun is never democracy.

The Fat Cats amongst the elite will never give up power through free and fair elections. We have seen successive military coups since 1932, 18 in fact. Democracy at the end of a gun is the Thai way.

I cant see any other way other than revolution. The Thai people dont seem to accept election outcomes if it doesnt go their way. Much like what we sadly saw in the US last year albeit they resolved this pretty quickly.

Thailand needs civilised national debate, free and fair elections (UN supervised),  a plan for economic recovery & growth, media freedoms rather than censorship. Maybe then the protests will stop.

Accountabiliity is a bugger for the current Government. Its hard to hold anyone from the police, to the army , hospitals etc to account when the PM himself is not being held to account within the parliament. The Thai constitution needs an overhaul if it isnt up to thejob. But then again with 18 coups and 18 different constitutions since 1932 why woulkd the 19th constitution be any different. Thailand will never graduate from being a developing nation if they cannot get integrity into the constitution, judicial and political system. 

Anyone who stands up to the ruling elite gets pushed into exile. The people need to rise up. The UN will not step in until the people rise up. Although a fat lot of good the UN is doing in Myanmar right now. 

For all of us on this forum, we can comment as much as we like. But this is the fight of the Thai people. Only they can bring about change. As frustrating as it is to sit here with whatever connection you have to Thailand, all we can do is grab some popcorn and watch the sad story continue to unfold for the beautiful people of Thailand.

1 minute ago, AussieBob said:

I hear you mate - I love the place. Nothing worse than the Expat whingers on forums like this, but there are fewer here than 'elsewhere'. The news section always has negative stories - same as the media all over the world - and there  are plenty of negatives in Thailand - especially about the Junta and the corrupt elites.  

So true.

I was thinking more of the groups (seemingly always men) that spend their time around a table whining about everything. Preferably while consuming beer that they might not be able to afford in their home country 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

With that goes other things like how the women are,

I couldn’t agree more the women in the Land of Smiles are fitter, thinner, more beautiful, more real feminine than the Goblinas back home in the US!

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

As is all societies that change (ours included) the changes come about because of changed circumstances

Well I pray feminism, the US woke kind, doesn’t rear it’s ugly head in the kingdom.